PTR - Calif.... No, no, make that, FLORIDA here we come!

The airboat is not scary at all, but very noisy, they give you headphones to wear.
There were quite a few small kids the day we went.
Yes , we went to Universal & IOA . We did one the first week and the 2nd one the 2nd week we were there.
you just have to confirm it with them before.
Will be interested to see how much it is going to cost you renting the DVC points.
I have read up on it, but its just not for me

Thanks! :thumbsup2 I have worked out rough plans for which parks we'll do each day, hopefully avoiding the worst of the crowds.

LivingforDisney, about the cost of DVC, isn't the cost on David's accurate? Because those prices are what I've been basing calculations on. Slightly more $ than Pop (with no discount), but BWV in particular seems exactly our style (location-wise)! I guess if we miss out on DVC, we could book Pop but then upgrade to a moderate if discounts are offered (is that how the system works?)

I'll have to run our proposed holiday timing past my boss as I have remembered that I often have some projects due in January (but am hoping I can just get it all done before Christmas instead). DH prefers this timing than the Sept/Oct option (because this fits better with his work as a self-employed tradie).

I agree with Zanzibar. From my understanding, this is the busier marathon. No where near as bad as Xmas, but still worth avoiding if you can.

Also be aware that a lot of roads around Disney will be closed during that weekend for the races. Travelling to Universal might cost you more in taxi fees if you have to travel around detours. We had some sort of race on when we were there (perhaps it was the TOT) and traveling just to DTD took quite a bit longer as the bus had to travel a different way.

The prices on Davids are correct and there is no extra taxes/fees to pay. Hopefully they stay at $14 per point until you are able lock in a booking. (They were $13 per point early last year, and went up to $14 per point sometime late last year).

I don't think you would have too much trouble getting OKW, as OKW and SSR are generally considered to be the 2 easier ones to get. They tend to be less popular due to not having as stronger theme as others and not being alongside a theme park. AKV are also easier to get due to being such big resorts. But as mentioned previously, this is with the exception of value (and I believe Concierge) rooms.

It could be slightly harder to get all 14 nights than a shorter stay as this relies on finding a renter with more spare points. However, because you are looking at cheaper studios, you will hopefully be okay. If you wanted a 2 bedroom, for example, I would be more worried.

The only thing I don't understand about the process is how many days a renter can book at the 11 month mark. I'm not sure whether they could book all 14 on the 11 month mark, or whether they would have to wait 14 days in to book. This would be something I would go onto the DVC boards and ask.

One more thing to be aware of is that Davids will probably book one of your choices as soon as they have access to the points. They booked Aulani for me as soon as points came through (about 3 months after I'd made an enquiry) and never emailed me first to check that I still wanted the booking. That was fine as I definitely wanted that booking. I'm only mentioning it as you should be aware that you could potentially get a booking locked in for OKW or AKL right on the 11 month mark. If you are okay with that, great. If you would prefer they held out a bit longer for a BWV points holder, make this your only initial request. I could be wrong (so please don't blame me if I am :) ) but I think you would be okay waiting a month or two into the 11 month mark to book OKW.

Best of luck getting the time of work. :thumbsup2

Yes, I assumed the prices were what was shown when I looked at David's.
I just get a bit iffy about having to pay the full amount so far in advance, I know this is all legit.
Also I am a bit of a stickler for just booking direct.
I am still undecided of whether to book my cruise direct with Disney or thru Dreams Unlimited.:confused3
But good on you all that do it.

I agree with Zanzibar. From my understanding, this is the busier marathon. No where near as bad as Xmas, but still worth avoiding if you can.

Also be aware that a lot of roads around Disney will be closed during that weekend for the races. Travelling to Universal might cost you more in taxi fees if you have to travel around detours. We had some sort of race on when we were there (perhaps it was the TOT) and traveling just to DTD took quite a bit longer as the bus had to travel a different way.

The prices on Davids are correct and there is no extra taxes/fees to pay. Hopefully they stay at $14 per point until you are able lock in a booking. (They were $13 per point early last year, and went up to $14 per point sometime late last year).

I don't think you would have too much trouble getting OKW, as OKW and SSR are generally considered to be the 2 easier ones to get. They tend to be less popular due to not having as stronger theme as others and not being alongside a theme park. AKV are also easier to get due to being such big resorts. But as mentioned previously, this is with the exception of value (and I believe Concierge) rooms.

It could be slightly harder to get all 14 nights than a shorter stay as this relies on finding a renter with more spare points. However, because you are looking at cheaper studios, you will hopefully be okay. If you wanted a 2 bedroom, for example, I would be more worried.

The only thing I don't understand about the process is how many days a renter can book at the 11 month mark. I'm not sure whether they could book all 14 on the 11 month mark, or whether they would have to wait 14 days in to book. This would be something I would go onto the DVC boards and ask.

One more thing to be aware of is that Davids will probably book one of your choices as soon as they have access to the points. They booked Aulani for me as soon as points came through (about 3 months after I'd made an enquiry) and never emailed me first to check that I still wanted the booking. That was fine as I definitely wanted that booking. I'm only mentioning it as you should be aware that you could potentially get a booking locked in for OKW or AKL right on the 11 month mark. If you are okay with that, great. If you would prefer they held out a bit longer for a BWV points holder, make this your only initial request. I could be wrong (so please don't blame me if I am :) ) but I think you would be okay waiting a month or two into the 11 month mark to book OKW.

Best of luck getting the time of work. :thumbsup2

Thanks Wanderlust, these look like good tips! So maybe don't give them my other options (or request that they ask me first before confirming a second or third preference?) I am going to ask 12 months out anyway (if I can) and hope for the best. I guess though that they might tell me to request again 11 months out.

Do you think I have them in the right order? The reason I have AKV last is because I have read that the value studios are quite small, and I am not as sold on the location as I am on the other two. I haven't been able to find much info on comparisons between them all though. I still have BWV as our top choice - do you agree?

And good news- I spoke to my boss today and all is good for the time off at the end of next year! :rotfl2: He was wondering why I need to ask so early though! LOL (I explained that if he said no, that I'd have to change our plans to go in September and so be ready to book in less than 2 months!)

Yes, I assumed the prices were what was shown when I looked at David's.
I just get a bit iffy about having to pay the full amount so far in advance, I know this is all legit.
Also I am a bit of a stickler for just booking direct.
I am still undecided of whether to book my cruise direct with Disney or thru Dreams Unlimited.:confused3
But good on you all that do it.

Is it a huge saving to go through Dreams Unlimited? I would normally go with Disney (says she who is going to try to book accommodation through David's! LOL) For instance, I know that some here book Disney tickets with Undercover Tourist, but it's not that much of a saving is it? So in that case I'd probably prefer just to go through Disney.

Oh, and I looked at the crowd calendar on easywdw, and so have decided we will hit Animal Kingdom and Epcot on marathon weekend (I can't remember what order I put them in though). They seem to think that if you are using Disney transport, that it should be ok (especially if we are staying close to Epcot anyway - and I am hoping we are! However, if our accommodation changes, we might need to revise park plans). I chose against going to Universal that first weekend (assuming we are staying at WDW for all 14 days and not doing split stay) because I think if we are at WDW we will want to get to all 4 parks before we venture elsewhere, plus I read about the transportation problems in getting off Disney property.

Of course, all this could change when the crowd calendar for Jan 2016 comes out (as I am basing it off 2015 at the moment).

Oh, and I looked at the crowd calendar on easywdw, and so have decided we will hit Animal Kingdom and Epcot on marathon weekend (I can't remember what order I put them in though). They seem to think that if you are using Disney transport, that it should be ok (especially if we are staying close to Epcot anyway - and I am hoping we are! However, if our accommodation changes, we might need to revise park plans). I chose against going to Universal that first weekend (assuming we are staying at WDW for all 14 days and not doing split stay) because I think if we are at WDW we will want to get to all 4 parks before we venture elsewhere, plus I read about the transportation problems in getting off Disney property.

Of course, all this could change when the crowd calendar for Jan 2016 comes out (as I am basing it off 2015 at the moment).

Kristen5 - Is that using public transport? Public transport is not exactly good in that part of the world anyway and I don't think it matters whether it is Disney property or not. In any event, there are lots of taxis around the place. If we haven't hired a car (and then it is really easy to get off property), I've used taxis to get me to/from places. I've never found it hard to get off property.

Kristen5 - Is that using public transport? Public transport is not exactly good in that part of the world anyway and I don't think it matters whether it is Disney property or not. In any event, there are lots of taxis around the place. If we haven't hired a car (and then it is really easy to get off property), I've used taxis to get me to/from places. I've never found it hard to get off property.

Nah, I'm referring to non-Disney transport (eg. Rental car, taxi, Mears transportation) to go between the parks or outside of the parks during Marathon weekend. Apparently because of road closures it can be quite a hassle, so they say to stick to parks close to your hotel or use the Disney buses.

Nah, I'm referring to non-Disney transport (eg. Rental car, taxi, Mears transportation) to go between the parks or outside of the parks during Marathon weekend. Apparently because of road closures it can be quite a hassle, so they say to stick to parks close to your hotel or use the Disney buses.

Ahh. Got it. Yes. If there is a Marathon happening, it will be difficult to leave. But it depends on when they run the Marathon. Usually, they do try for early morning so that it's all clear by the afternoon.

Do you think I have them in the right order? The reason I have AKV last is because I have read that the value studios are quite small, and I am not as sold on the location as I am on the other two. I haven't been able to find much info on comparisons between them all though. I still have BWV as our top choice - do you agree?

At the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference.

My top choice would be AKV because I found the resort magical. The lobby at Jambo made me smile every time we returned home from the parks and I just wanted to move in and live there forever. But then I've always been passionate about anything that reminds me of nature and non-western cultures and I thought that the imagineers behind this resort got the balance of woods, African art works, and wonderful landscaping just perfect.
This resort is out of the way, but I found the buses to be very efficient.
You could potentially end up with a room down the end of a very long corridor, but the same applies for BWV.

As for OKW, I've never stayed there and to be honest it's not one I personally would add as a preference. I could be wrong, but I think the studios there might have 2 beds instead of a sofa bed, which is a big bonus. It's just that I have a soft spot for theming and for this reason places like OKW, SSR, and Bay Lake Towers would be my lower priorities.

Lastly, I went to WDW like you expecting BWV to be my favourite. However in the end I discovered that I loved things about this resort and really disliked other things. The location next to Epcot and HS was excellent and it was definitely a bonus being able to enter through the back gate of Epcot. However the buses anywhere else were downright awful. It always felt like BWV was the last stop after Swan, Dolphin, and Beach Club. The boats were also awful (they took forever and got very crowded at the end of the day) but given that the walk to HS wasn't too far, we only ever felt the need to catch the boat once.
Based on the outside of the buildings and the Boardwalk itself, I loved the theming. The buildings were beautiful and it was nice to have all those shops and eateries so close - the bakery was a favourite. However, the decor inside the room was a bit dated and gaudy. It certainly didn't feel 'deluxe' to DH or I. Just painting those ugly pink walls would make a big difference IMO.
The pool with the clown slide was pretty cool for kids. It was a bit 'concrete' for my liking and I liked the lush tropical feeling of the AKL pool. But like you say, this might not matter in January anyway.

I still think you should seriously consider a split stay of 7/7. The resorts all seem to have their own charm and I think one of the perks of such a long stay is getting to experience a few. Also, you can cut down on transport time by stationing yourself in multiple areas and visiting the parks that are closest during that block of stay. The move could work well on the Universal day as you will be out all day anyway and your bags could be moved in the process.

At the end of the day though, all my recommendations are based on the personality of my family. You know your family best. Best of luck getting exactly what you want. :)

Yay for getting the time off work approved. May the serious planning begin :rotfl:

You'll have a stroller right? If so, I'd leave Boardwalk as your top pick for minimizing the need for buses. The buses can have a few stops but I think if you get off at whatever stop is first you can walk to the Boardwalk quicker than the bus will get there. The only other place that might be better for strollers and really little ones is BLT since you'll likely want to spend a bit of time at MK and you've got the monorail to EP which you can take the stroller on without taking your LO out and folding it. But the theming there is pretty bland and it's a bit more pricey than the others.

Kristen, have they released the dates for the Marathon for Jan 2016 yet?
The only difference with booking the cruise with Dreams Unlimited is I would get about $200 OBC, that's it.

Kristen, have they released the dates for the Marathon for Jan 2016 yet?

They won't confirm the date for the 2016 marathon weekend until after the 2015 one. That is such a huge and established weekend though, I can't see them moving it.

The marathon does start early in the morning (5:30am based on previous years). However, do keep in mind that people take up to 8 hours to run a marathon, so it will pretty much be going all day. The other days will certainly pose less of a problem in the afternoon, and the 5k and 10k in particular should only affect you if you're heading out early.

At the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference.

My top choice would be AKV because I found the resort magical. The lobby at Jambo made me smile every time we returned home from the parks and I just wanted to move in and live there forever. But then I've always been passionate about anything that reminds me of nature and non-western cultures and I thought that the imagineers behind this resort got the balance of woods, African art works, and wonderful landscaping just perfect.
This resort is out of the way, but I found the buses to be very efficient.
You could potentially end up with a room down the end of a very long corridor, but the same applies for BWV.

As for OKW, I've never stayed there and to be honest it's not one I personally would add as a preference. I could be wrong, but I think the studios there might have 2 beds instead of a sofa bed, which is a big bonus. It's just that I have a soft spot for theming and for this reason places like OKW, SSR, and Bay Lake Towers would be my lower priorities.

Lastly, I went to WDW like you expecting BWV to be my favourite. However in the end I discovered that I loved things about this resort and really disliked other things. The location next to Epcot and HS was excellent and it was definitely a bonus being able to enter through the back gate of Epcot. However the buses anywhere else were downright awful. It always felt like BWV was the last stop after Swan, Dolphin, and Beach Club. The boats were also awful (they took forever and got very crowded at the end of the day) but given that the walk to HS wasn't too far, we only ever felt the need to catch the boat once.
Based on the outside of the buildings and the Boardwalk itself, I loved the theming. The buildings were beautiful and it was nice to have all those shops and eateries so close - the bakery was a favourite. However, the decor inside the room was a bit dated and gaudy. It certainly didn't feel 'deluxe' to DH or I. Just painting those ugly pink walls would make a big difference IMO.
The pool with the clown slide was pretty cool for kids. It was a bit 'concrete' for my liking and I liked the lush tropical feeling of the AKL pool. But like you say, this might not matter in January anyway.

I still think you should seriously consider a split stay of 7/7. The resorts all seem to have their own charm and I think one of the perks of such a long stay is getting to experience a few. Also, you can cut down on transport time by stationing yourself in multiple areas and visiting the parks that are closest during that block of stay. The move could work well on the Universal day as you will be out all day anyway and your bags could be moved in the process.

At the end of the day though, all my recommendations are based on the personality of my family. You know your family best. Best of luck getting exactly what you want. :)

Yay for getting the time off work approved. May the serious planning begin :rotfl:

A split stay 7/7 between AKV and BWV might be exactly the solution. Do AKV first (incl. marathon weekend) then switch to BWV maybe. Not sure if this will help our chances of success?

You'll have a stroller right? If so, I'd leave Boardwalk as your top pick for minimizing the need for buses. The buses can have a few stops but I think if you get off at whatever stop is first you can walk to the Boardwalk quicker than the bus will get there. The only other place that might be better for strollers and really little ones is BLT since you'll likely want to spend a bit of time at MK and you've got the monorail to EP which you can take the stroller on without taking your LO out and folding it. But the theming there is pretty bland and it's a bit more pricey than the others.

Nah, no stroller. DS will be 9! I love the walking distance aspect of BWV (to DHS and Epcot) - I do want to minimise the need for buses (so it'll be more like DLR :))

They won't confirm the date for the 2016 marathon weekend until after the 2015 one. That is such a huge and established weekend though, I can't see them moving it.

The marathon does start early in the morning (5:30am based on previous years). However, do keep in mind that people take up to 8 hours to run a marathon, so it will pretty much be going all day. The other days will certainly pose less of a problem in the afternoon, and the 5k and 10k in particular should only affect you if you're heading out early.

With this in mind, it'll probably be best for us to do Epcot on the Saturday (half marathon day) and AK on the Sunday.

This is turning into quite the PTR for a holiday that is still over 16 months away! :rotfl2: (Thanks again for having the patience to answer my multitude of questions!)

Nah, no stroller. DS will be 9! I love the walking distance aspect of BWV (to DHS and Epcot) - I do want to minimise the need for buses (so it'll be more like DLR :))

Sorry, there's so many trips being discussed right now I can't keep up!

Sorry, there's so many trips being discussed right now I can't keep up!

LOL, don't worry, I'm losing track of them all too (even my own! I have a feeling I am repeating questions - or if I haven't yet, I'm sure I will soon!)

I think split stays are the way to go, we have to travel so far to get to WDW that we need to make the most out of each stay. If DH ever agrees to go again I have AK and Polynesian (the villas should be finished by then) on my bucket list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter