PTR - Calif.... No, no, make that, FLORIDA here we come!

Kristin5

Mouseketeer
After visiting California (specifically Disneyland) on many occasions, we are taking a giant leap into the unknown when we finally get to Florida & WDW next year. (And by next year, I mean the end of next year...yep, it's still 17 months away!!!)

It will be me, DH and DS (who will be 9 when we travel). We have twice taken DS to Disneyland - on both occasions he has celebrated his birthday there (and it has been Halloween time at DL). We went last year, and had originally planned to go to WDW then...until Carsland opened, and DS was so desperate to go and see it. Well, that box has now been ticked (and enjoyed!), so now it is onto WDW for our next big trip.

In the past, DS has enjoyed the atmosphere and the characters rather than the rides (it is DH and I who love the rides!), but at 9, that might change a little.

Anyway, a rundown of our plans so far...

We are planning a Christmas/ny holiday. I think to spend Christmas at Disney is something so magical, and DS will really enjoy it. Also, our 10th wedding anniversary falls on NYE 2015. Originally, I wanted to spend NYE in New York (that is where we got engaged), but the cost at that time is astronomical and I think, realistically, DS isn't going to appreciate waiting around for hours on end just to see the ball drop. Practically, it is a good time for each of us to get away from work/school too, so that has been part of the reason for the timing.

We are also going to include a trip to Denver, and hopefully see a football game. We will have to book before the schedule comes out, we think, so our fingers will be crossed that our timing coincides with a home game for the Broncos. Regardless, DH wants to show DS around Denver, as he lived there for a year 2 decades ago. We did go to Denver on last year's trip too, but we literally flew in just for a football game then flew straight back to DL the same day! (We must be mad!!!) Even if we're not there for a live game, we'll be able to watch it on tv somewhere with fellow Broncos fans - which will be enough to satisfy DH :)

Then we will fly to WDW and will spend a couple of weeks there. We are hoping that free dining will be available (it is for the same time this year). We plan to stay at POP Century. We were looking at a few different on-site hotels, and I have also looked into renting DVC points (AKV) but the time of year we are going is very expensive (and booking DVC is so inflexible, and has to be done so far in advance), and I think POP will meet all of our needs anyway. DS is a bit of a history buff, and I think he will get a kick out of the retro stuff at POP. We were originally going to spend all 14 nights at WDW, and do a tour to Universal for 1 day - however, I have looked into it, and realised that we'd need at least 2 days at Universal (at that time of year), so have decided on a split stay, with the final 3 nights at the Hyatt Place Universal. We also plan on going to Kennedy Space Center (DS enjoys astronomy too, as do I).

We will be at WDW for Christmas Day. I think we might go to Hollywood Studios that day (which will be day 9 for us at WDW) and will try to book an ADR for a fantasmic dinner package (I am thinking of choosing Hollywood & Vine).

After WDW, we plan to go to Washington, to see the White House. I know we need to book a tour through a congressperson, so we will be sure to get onto that (but a request still gives no guarantees - all we can do is try, I guess). Several months ago, we asked DS where he'd like to live if we moved to the USA (DH always dreams about moving over there). Of course, we thought he'd say a state or city, such as Denver, LA, California, etc. but his answer was "the White House of course!" So now it is a must-see for DS. We will probably do a hop-on, hop-off type tour, to see all of the main landmarks. I have always wanted to go to Arlington cemetery (having a keen interest in the history of the Kennedy family), so that is another must-do, as well as the Smithsonian. We will be in Washington for NYE.

Then it is onto NYC. DS is so excited, especially to see the Statue of Liberty. DH and I want to go to the 9/11 memorial (I found it very emotional when we were there in 2005, but this time, the new memorial & museum will be completed, and we are eager to see it). DH would like to go to Madison Square Gardens to see a basketball game and if we don't get to see a NFL game in Denver, we will try to get to one in NY. DH also wants to take DS to see the restaurant from Seinfeld (which we went and saw last time too), and of course we'll go to the Empire State Building, Times Square, Rockefeller Plaza, etc. This is probably where we'll do our outlet shopping too (Jersey Gardens) as it's the end of our trip, so we can add an extra bag here. :cool1:

So our dates are:
12/12/2015 Melbourne - Denver
15/12 Denver - Orlando
29/12 Orlando - Washington
1/1/2016 Washington - NYC
6/1 NYC - Melbourne

(We could add on some days in NYC if it makes a difference to airfares - though I looked it up today and it actually made it more expensive, so at the moment we'll stick with what we've got).

My questions then are about WDW, and will I really have to book exactly 6 months out if we want ADR's? If so, which ADR's do you recommend? We are pretty casual diners, with quick service suiting us (especially DS and DH who are both fussy, and basic, eaters), but a couple of nice meals might be good. Are there any other packages/events which we should try to see/do? And at DL, we ate at Downtown Disney a couple of times (eg Rainforest cafe) - do these also need to be pre-booked at WDW?

We were thinking of going to Mickey's Christmas Party (we went to the Halloween party at DL), but I have read that if we are there Christmas week (which we are) then we needn't bother as the parade and fireworks are on at MK that week anyway, as part of general admission.

Not sure if I've missed anything, but feel free to chime in with suggestions of what we should see and do during this trip to the east coast (which is mostly unfamiliar territory).

Oh, one more thing - should we get park hoppers? Initially I thought no, as I know that the parks aren't close (unlike DL), but then I thought maybe we should as it offers more flexibility to do one park in the morning and another in the afternoon/evening. But now, I think I have changed my mind again, as if it's so busy, perhaps when we get to a park, we need to stay there (and find a show or something to do in the park which allows for a little respite/relaxation time, if there is such a thing?)

Also, I have planned on 3 days in MK, 3 days at DHS, and then 2 in AK and 2 in Epcot (previously, I had it as 3 days in each of the parks, except for AK which we'd only go to for 1 day - but I have read a bit more and think we will probably like the rides at AK so might want to do that twice). Do any of you have a preference for a particular park?

Sorry this is so long...I do like to talk!

Your trip sounds amazing

Sorry I can't answer any of your questions yet as we are going for the first time in October - can answer them after that :)

You're travelling similar dates to us but we are doing DL. I love love love the sound of your trip. DH has requested we do WDW as a future holiday, so I will be watching your plans with great interest.

We also want to get to a NFL game & basketball game. What websites should I be looking at to find tickets?

We usually go through stub hub and haven't had any problems. With your itinerary, you might not have much of a chance to get to an NFL game though. :scratchin Possibly in San Fran, or you could drive/cab it to San Diego. There isn't an NFL team in LA or Vegas (or you could do what we did last year, and fly interstate especially for a game!). The schedule will be released in late April, I think. There are a couple of basketball teams in LA, so you shouldn't have much of a problem getting to one of those games (but maybe it's harder to get tickets to Lakers games?).

That trip sounds amazing- very exciting that this will be your first trip to Disney World! As I’m sure you already know, Christmas/ New year’s is an extremely busy time to visit WDW so make sure to arrive at the parks early in the morning, utilize the new fp plus system every day that you’ll be in the parks (this allows you to book fp reservations for your favorite attractions 60 days out), and come up with touring plans if possible (touringplans.com is a good resource for this). Anyways, onto your actual questions!
Whether or not you need to book restaurants right at the 6-month mark depends on the popularity of the restaurants you are interested in. However, given the time of year you will be visiting WDW, I would strongly recommend booking your reservations 6-months out!
Since you mentioned that your son enjoys the characters at Disneyland, I would recommend booking one or two character meals for him during your stay! Chef Mickey’s at the Contemporary Resort is a popular buffet featuring the big 5 (Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and Donald), which he might really enjoy. This resort is right on the monorail outside of MK, and would be easily accessible for lunch or dinner (and allow for a short break from the park) on an MK day.
At MK, I would also recommend the new Be Our Guest restaurant in New Fantasyland, although I haven’t had a chance to try it out myself yet! I’ve heard that it’s incredibly themed (after the castle in Beauty and the Beast) and that the food is also good. The dinner at BOG is a sit-down meal and a very hard reservation to obtain, while the lunch is counter-service and does not require a reservation, but can have long waits. There is currently a separate fast pass system for lunch at BOG if you decide that you prefer the lunch option.
I would also recommend the Crystal Palace for breakfast at MK if you can get an early reservation (8 AM). On non-extra magic hour mornings, an early breakfast at CP allows you to enter the park early, get some pictures on Main Street/ in front of Walt Disney without thousands of other people obstructing your photos, and to set yourself up well for the park’s official opening. The Crystal Palace breakfast also has good food, and features Winnie the Pooh and friends.
At Disney’s HS studios, I would recommend the Sci-Fi Dine In restaurant for lunch or dinner. It is a really fun experience in which you dine in a car at a “drive-in” with old sci-fi clips playing, and have your food delivered to your car. The food is not gourmet here- mostly burgers, sandwiches, fries, milkshakes, etc., but it is a fairly cheap sit-down option and one of the best-themed restaurants at Disney.
At HS I would also recommend 50’s Prime Time if your son is a history buff! The restaurant is themed like a 1950’s kitchen/ dining area and your server acts like a family member (a mom, brother, cousin, etc.). Some people don’t enjoy being reminded by “mom” to finish their vegetables, but if you know what to expect going in, the role playing can be a lot of fun!
In terms of packages, there is a Fantasmic Dinner Package offered at HS. Given the time of year you will be visiting, I think that you should heavily consider this if:
-seeing Fantasmic is important to your family (it’s really an amazing show imo!)
-you would prefer to go to the earlier showing offered (this will probably around 9 PM at opposed to the 10:30 PM showing)
-you would like to be guaranteed a seat in the center of the stadium and do no want to wait up to 90 minutes for it!
For your family, I would recommend booking the package with either Mama Melrose’s Restaurante Italiano (which I’ve hear decent things about) or Hollywood & Vine (a buffet featuring Disney Junior Friends- your son may be a bit too old for this one). The package costs essentially just as much as dinner at either of these restaurants (3-courses included at Mama Melrose’s) and guarantees you prime seating for the first Fantasmic show of the night.
At Epcot, the dining options are numerous around the world showcase! I’m not sure that I can make specific restaurant recommendations in WS without knowing your family’s tastes, but in Future World there are a couple fun, kid-friendly restaurants. The Garden Grill (an all-you-can eat rotating restaurant featuring Chip ‘n Dale- the restaurant slowly rotates around the living with the land attraction while you dine). The Coral Reef is a bit more upscale and may not be as suitable for kids, but does feature awesome views of the giant fish/sharks/ rays of the Nemo & friends aquarium while you dine! I would check it out if your son enjoys aquariums.
I’m not sure how adventurous of an eater your son is, but the Tusker House at AK offers character dining (with Mickey and friends) for lunch and breakfast and some African flavors. It is a buffet themed like an African market, and offers both adventurous (e.g. samosas, couscous, curry chicken) and less adventurous foods (e.g. mac and cheese, rice, potatoes, green beans). Breakfast may be a better option if your family members are picky eaters!
As for the Rainforest Café, there are two locations at WDW- one in DTD and one just outside the AK. I would recommend dining reservations for either of these sites, since they do get very busy!
I have never been to Mickey’s Christmas Party before, so unfortunately I don’t think that I’m in a position to give you advice about whether it is worth it!
With regard to the park hoppers, I think that depends on how you plan to structure your days. If your son gets tired mid-day and you plan to go back to your resort for a few hours mid-day to swim/ nap/ eat and then head back out, the park hopper option may be convenient (as you suggested you could do one park in the morning and another in the evening in this case). However, if you don’t plan to leave the park for mid-day breaks, I find park-hopping (personally) to be an unnecessary waste of time traveling between parks. The last couple of times we have gone we have bought the park hopper and only used it once or not at all, and I do not think we will buy it again, since we tend to just get to a park and enjoy it for the full day. I’m sure that other people would strongly disagree with this, but it is just what works best for us! Park hopper is convenient for shorter visits if you have say a park you want to spend a morning at and then a different park you want to go to for dinner/ an evening show. However, since you will be at Disney for such a long visit, I really think you will have plenty of time to enjoy all of the parks without the park hopper.
That sounds like a good length of time in each park to me- I think your son will probably enjoy MK the most so three days there would definitely be good! 3 days in HS may be kind of a lot, as it a smaller park. However, there are many shows there that your son will likely enjoy (e.g. Lights, Motor, Action, Indiana Jones, Beauty and the Beast Live, etc.), so that would definitely allow you to take in all the shows/ attractions at a relaxed pace. Just a side piece of advice- Toy Story Mania is something that your son will probably really enjoy and has crazy lines. I recommend booking this as one of your fp plus attractions and also running to it first thing in the morning so that your son can ride twice! I think that two days will be plenty at AK and Epcot (since many kids find Epcot to be least exciting of the parks). The Agent P adventures at Epcot can make the world showcase much more exciting for kids though, and may allow you and your husband to take in all the WS has to offer while your son is entertained! I think it’s great that you’re planning to spend two days at Universal since it is such a long trip. Honestly, I think if you wanted to devote on of your HS days either to another MK day (since again, this time of year will be crazy in terms of lines and make it harder to see many attractions in one day) or to another out-of-the-world attraction (e.g. Seaworld) it may be better spent. HS is a great park though, just a bit less to do than in MK or Epcot!
I hope this response is helpful and that you have a great trip!!!

If I had my heart set on any particular restaurant I would make the ADRs at 180 days out. Christmas plus the possibility of free dining will mean loads of people will be making reservations just in case the discount is released and applies to them on top of others who plan on dining regardless. Any restaurant will need reservations at that time of year, Rainforest Cafe included. Your son might enjoy T-Rex Cafe too.

I wouldn't spend the money in MVMCP as you're correct you'll see the parade and fireworks in MK close to Christmas.

I tend to try and avoid park hoppers if I can because unless you're hopping regularly they are expensive. If you were staying within walking distance of a park I might get then but since you're not it's not any more convenient to hop to a new park over returning to the same one. You can add them when you're there after you've used a day of admission but it's possible the price to add them will increase between when bookings open tomorrow and December.

We also want to get to a NFL game & basketball game. What websites should I be looking at to find tickets?

Stubhub is a good one. In 2012 when we did our south-western USA trip, I booked tickets to the Lakers and Coyotes via the respective team websites. Lakers was through their season ticketholder seat resale program - basically people who can't attend the game put their seats back for resale and you pay whatever they're asking through ticketmaster. Pricy, but was a good experience.

Unfortunately the start of the hockey season was postponed just as we arrived in the States due to some sort of pay dispute so we couldn't go to see that. Shame, it was the game we were looking forward to. Luckily we bought it through official channels so I was able to get refunds a few weeks later no problems.

In our 2015 trip, I am hoping to see some more sport if possible. In Orlando there's really only one option - Orlando Magic - but we'll be staying in Anaheim for about 9 nights so chances are pretty good that the Ducks will be playing at home during that time. If I want to see some football, I'll have to either go down the road to San Diego, or roadtrip to Tampa or Miami while we're in Orlando.

In our 2015 trip, I am hoping to see some more sport if possible. In Orlando there's really only one option - Orlando Magic - but we'll be staying in Anaheim for about 9 nights so chances are pretty good that the Ducks will be playing at home during that time. If I want to see some football, I'll have to either go down the road to San Diego, or roadtrip to Tampa or Miami while we're in Orlando.

It's not too far to drive from Orlando to Tampa for the Tampa Bay Lightning if they have a home game. We've done that before.

Thanks Ari37 for such a detailed reply. I will definitely look into the restaurants you have suggested (especially the sci fi diner!). Thanks for all the character meal suggestions - DS likes Chip and Dale so we will check that out, as well as the Crystal Palace breakfast. The past 2 visits to DL we have done a character breakfast, and DS has loved it!

Ssour, I will have to look at the T-Rex cafe as it sounds like something DS might like. But it's hard to get my head around booking for dinner 6 months out! I don't know what I want for dinner tonight, let alone in 6 month's time!

And I am leaning towards not getting park hoppers. Save the $200!

So maybe I should only plan for 2 days at DHS, Epcot and AK and do 4 at MK then? It's hard without knowing what's in each of the parks. I will have to study the maps a bit more. And I will definitely be making good use of the FP+ system (I can book 3 per day, is that right?)

Losfp, it sounds like you're a sports nut too?! We try and go to a few games every time we visit - last year we went to baseball, ice hockey and NFL; the time before, we went to the baseball and college football; and a few years before that we went to ice hockey and basketball and arena football.

Your trip sounds great.
We are also planning Dec/Jan 2015/2016, when are you going to buy your flights, I am thinking Jan is going to be the time to buy them??
We were a WDW last Sept/Oct for 2 weeks, there is so much to do, Downtown Disney is massive compared to Anaheim.
I would not buy the park hoppers, we didn't last year & glad of that, it takes a while to get from one place to another.
We also stayed at POP , kids loved it.
I am starting to plan our trip now, so many things we want to do that we didn't see last year.
Highly recommend SCI FI diner, it was great!!
I would love to add in Washington this trip, as last time we just did Hollywood/NY/Orlando.
But my concern is the weather at that time of the year, they had a bad winter last year, lots of flights cancelled ect, so have decided to just do Florida & a 7 day Caribbean cruise, hoping the Magic will be sailing there when we want to go.
We got free dining last year, it was great. The dates this year fall into my plans, so hoping they keep it the same next year:confused3
It is so hard, when we have to book our flights so far ahead for this time of the year.

Losfp, it sounds like you're a sports nut too?! We try and go to a few games every time we visit - last year we went to baseball, ice hockey and NFL; the time before, we went to the baseball and college football; and a few years before that we went to ice hockey and basketball and arena football.

Yeah I sure am. Back in my uni days, I'd think nothing of going to an AFL game, an NRL game and a soccer game all in one weekend (or basketball, soccer in the summer). These days we only have two club memberships (Swans and Swifts) due to family commitments.. and I always make sure I go to a few days of test cricket over summer..

Not a huge fan of American sports, ie: I don't really follow any teams, but I take an interest and love to go when we visit. As mentioned, last time I only got to go to the basketball, but hoping for hockey this time, and maybe football - I believe MLB will be done or in playoffs in Oct/Nov so probably won't get to that.

Jumping in to comment on what sounds like a wonderful trip, although it will be cold for the parts not in Florida. DC is a wonderful place and your son is in the same age range our boys were the times we visited. Most of the museums and such are free of charge so it can be a very cheap place to visit. We left our car at the hotel and used public transportation to get into the city and then were able to walk most places.

You do need to book dining reservations unless you want to be eating at very odd times. The first time we went I too could not get my head around having to decide what I would feel like eating on a day 6 months in the future. Then I found doing up a schedule for each park including meals and times meant that on the day all I had to do was pull out the day's schedule and it was all laid out for us. My family was very skeptical but in the end it did make life easier. We always had park hoppers as we really loved eating at Epcot or even if we did eat at a hotel still ended up there for the evening. It always feels the least crowded of all the parks and nice to stroll around at night and grab a cocktail if you want.

I would strongly suggest getting a ressie for Crystal Palace for the first seating and being in the park before the crowds. We do this every time and it gives us enough time to eat and see all the characters and still get some photos in front of the castle with no one else in the background. Truly a magical experience.

Whispering Canyon in the Wilderness Lodge is lots of fun for kids as the waiters do silly things and they get the kids up on wooden horses riding around the restaurant. My boys also loved Ohana for the dinner buffet. Another fun character dinner was at the Grand Floridian. They had Cinderella, the stepsisters and they put on quite a good show staying in character the whole time. Really play with the boys and Cinderella would fuss over them which they loved. We found if you get to the parks for rope drop you can do lots by noon and then take it easy for the afternoon. Sometimes we shopped, went for a swim, had a nap, or took a boat ride from one of the hotels. There is so much more to do than just going to the parks. Then it is nice to have a good dinner at either one of the hotels or Epcot and finish the evening with another park visit to catch fireworks, fantasmic, illuminations. I would also suggest checking out the lounge in Port Orleans one evening as they have this great entertainer there and it can be a fun way to spend an evening without battling crowds.

The big difference between DL and DW is you are immersed in the Disney bubble the whole time. Once you leave the park to go back to your hotel there is still lots going on and you still feel like you are there. Each hotel has so much to offer that making sure you try and visit at least the Deluxe ones on your visit.

Sometimes I think the planning part is almost as much fun as the going.

Enjoy.

Your trip sounds great.
We are also planning Dec/Jan 2015/2016, when are you going to buy your flights, I am thinking Jan is going to be the time to buy them??
We were a WDW last Sept/Oct for 2 weeks, there is so much to do, Downtown Disney is massive compared to Anaheim.
I would not buy the park hoppers, we didn't last year & glad of that, it takes a while to get from one place to another.
We also stayed at POP , kids loved it.
I am starting to plan our trip now, so many things we want to do that we didn't see last year.
Highly recommend SCI FI diner, it was great!!
I would love to add in Washington this trip, as last time we just did Hollywood/NY/Orlando.
But my concern is the weather at that time of the year, they had a bad winter last year, lots of flights cancelled ect, so have decided to just do Florida & a 7 day Caribbean cruise, hoping the Magic will be sailing there when we want to go.
We got free dining last year, it was great. The dates this year fall into my plans, so hoping they keep it the same next year:confused3
It is so hard, when we have to book our flights so far ahead for this time of the year.
Yes, I think we'll be getting in early and buying airfares as soon as we can. I'm not really expecting any sales, so if we can get them for the same prices they are quoting this year, we'll probably snap them up. So we'll be looking to buy flights in Jan/Feb.
Glad to hear your kids loved POP! I am pretty sure that DS will too. Will you be staying there again next year?
My dad was in Washington/NYC last Christmas/NYE and while it was cold & snowy, they didn't have any flight cancellations. So hopefully our luck holds out too. We were planning to go see Niagara Falls on this trip, but have decided against it because of the cold weather.

Yeah I sure am. Back in my uni days, I'd think nothing of going to an AFL game, an NRL game and a soccer game all in one weekend (or basketball, soccer in the summer). These days we only have two club memberships (Swans and Swifts) due to family commitments.. and I always make sure I go to a few days of test cricket over summer..

Not a huge fan of American sports, ie: I don't really follow any teams, but I take an interest and love to go when we visit. As mentioned, last time I only got to go to the basketball, but hoping for hockey this time, and maybe football - I believe MLB will be done or in playoffs in Oct/Nov so probably won't get to that.

I'm a huge AFL fan (Collingwood) and have always had a membership. I follow most other sports too, though mostly just watch on tv (except I usually get to the cricket at least once a year).

We also follow the Denver Broncos (as if you couldn't tell!), LA angels (yes, MLB will be in playoffs in Oct), and I am an Edmonton Oilers fan (having lived in Edmonton for a year back in primary school).

Thanks for the reply M&Mmum! With the crystal palace reservation, does it make a difference if there is early morning entry at MK for that day? Ie., so the booking should be for 7am rather than 8am? Also, with ADR's, do I book them online or do I call?

I'll have to read up about illuminations. I have seen it mentioned but have no idea what it is! Are there any dinner packages for that (and are they worthwhile)?

So much reading & planning to do! But I agree, a lot of the enjoyment of a holiday is in the planning stages for me :thumbsup2

(Collingwood)

Your username looks familiar. I've probably seen it on BigFooty.

I find it frustrating trying to "plan" to see sporting events overseas. The fixture is never out before you book flights and accomodation so the best you can do is to schedule a week at the intended city and hope like hell the team doesn't have all away games in that week.

At first reserving 6 months out for meals seems unusual and it is, but by that time you will have already booked your airfares and accommodation. And think about it; you already know the dates you will be there so you know the early/late entry days, and by using easywdw.com you will know which park is the best to go to, so you know where you will be at meal times.

My best tip is to take advantage of being 'stuck' onsite and so I STRONGLY recommend going with park hoppers, whilst there is an added cost with a 7 or 10 day pass each day is relatively cheap so this helps with the cost.
It makes it so much easier, particularly as you get towards and after Christmas, as you can do early entry and get heaps done but are not stuck in this park for the rest of the day when it is busier than normal.

Here is a guide to how I found touring worked well at this time of year: -
(i) have a very light breakfast or take one with you and do the park with early entry (7am or 8am) by getting there at least half an hour before opening and doing attractions until about 10am;
(ii) do a big buffet breakfast as late as possible, particularly the character ones as they get nice and quiet, and make this breakfast/lunch;
(iii) use FASTPASS+ in the early afternoon or late afternoon;
(iv) return to the resort for a swim and rest in your room mid afternoon;
(v) go to a different park for the evening and maybe late entry.

Particularly without a dining plan the buffet breakfasts are relatively great value for paying: -
(i) 1900 Park Fare is my favourite as you get Pooh & Tigger, Mary Poppins, Alice & Mad Hatter!!! and you can combine it with a look around the Grand Floridian Resort including the Christmas tree and gingerbread house.
(ii) Cape May Cafe is a great hidden one with Minnie, Donald and Goofy is beach wear, being at the Beach Club resort (you can walk from Epcot or boat there from HS).
Biergarten is the best value meal for paying, particularly if you go there for a late lunch since you can just have a light supper later.

Remember with POP Century you are walking distance to Art of Animation which can come in handy for food, buses etc.

Your username looks familiar. I've probably seen it on BigFooty.

I find it frustrating trying to "plan" to see sporting events overseas. The fixture is never out before you book flights and accomodation so the best you can do is to schedule a week at the intended city and hope like hell the team doesn't have all away games in that week.

LOL, I used to be a moderator on BigFooty back in the day! Haven't been on that site in ages though. I tend to stick to the Collingwood boards now.

Yeah, we are taking a punt that the Broncos will be playing at home on the weekend we are there. They are away on the comparative weekend this season, so hoping the opposite is true next season.

At first reserving 6 months out for meals seems unusual and it is, but by that time you will have already booked your airfares and accommodation. And think about it; you already know the dates you will be there so you know the early/late entry days, and by using easywdw.com you will know which park is the best to go to, so you know where you will be at meal times.

My best tip is to take advantage of being 'stuck' onsite and so I STRONGLY recommend going with park hoppers, whilst there is an added cost with a 7 or 10 day pass each day is relatively cheap so this helps with the cost.
It makes it so much easier, particularly as you get towards and after Christmas, as you can do early entry and get heaps done but are not stuck in this park for the rest of the day when it is busier than normal.

Here is a guide to how I found touring worked well at this time of year: -
(i) have a very light breakfast or take one with you and do the park with early entry (7am or 8am) by getting there at least half an hour before opening and doing attractions until about 10am;
(ii) do a big buffet breakfast as late as possible, particularly the character ones as they get nice and quiet, and make this breakfast/lunch;
(iii) use FASTPASS+ in the early afternoon or late afternoon;
(iv) return to the resort for a swim and rest in your room mid afternoon;
(v) go to a different park for the evening and maybe late entry.

Particularly without a dining plan the buffet breakfasts are relatively great value for paying: -
(i) 1900 Park Fare is my favourite as you get Pooh & Tigger, Mary Poppins, Alice & Mad Hatter!!! and you can combine it with a look around the Grand Floridian Resort including the Christmas tree and gingerbread house.
(ii) Cape May Cafe is a great hidden one with Minnie, Donald and Goofy is beach wear, being at the Beach Club resort (you can walk from Epcot or boat there from HS).
Biergarten is the best value meal for paying, particularly if you go there for a late lunch since you can just have a light supper later.

Remember with POP Century you are walking distance to Art of Animation which can come in handy for food, buses etc.

Thanks DVCAustralia! You have thrown a cat amongst the pigeons, and now I am agreeing with you thinking that we should get park hoppers! I like your daily touring guide, and will run it past DH (though he isn't too interested in hearing about this trip until it's less than 12 months away!)

It sounds like you have a fabulous trip to look forward to! I think its almost safe to say we need a 2015/2016 thread opening with quite a few of us planning already for then! We are doing DL around Nov next year. Since you have experienced it during Halloween time, I hope you don't mind to answer a few questions: I was hesitant to go during Halloween as I like DL to look like its classic everyday self, if that makes sense - no special decorations etc. Do they actually decorate the castle for Halloween or is it 'normal'! :) We were at Aulani last year for Halloween on the actual date, the kids had fun with all the American hype of it, the trick or treating and the Halloween Party. It was extremely crowded that one day but the crowds seemed to vanish the day after. Is Disneyland extra busy the whole month or just the day of Halloween? My daughter always gets to experience her birthday away also, very spoiled I know! Nothing like a phone call from Mickey on your birthday! :) We are also having our 10th Wedding anniversary next year too! (This is my excuse of why we need to stay at the Grand Cal) :lmao:

I think we will do WDW after this trip also - it was Cars Land that is dragging us back to DL again, and not to mention the DL 60th anniversary celebrations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter