Previously purchased tickets with Maxpass

CaliforniaGirl09

DIS Veteran
I did a search, but didn't see anything on this ... has anyone found out what Disney plans to do (if anything) for those of us with previously purchased tickets that include Maxpass. We had APs, but they were do to expire before our next trip so I bought tickets before a price increase that included Maxpass. Fortunately, I held on to them as I was able to book early for our next trip. But now I'm wondering if I'm just going to have to eat the extra I paid for Maxpass. They were purchased through a third party company if that matters.

Same boat here. Get Away Today told me this week: DLR will refund the Maxpass amount at Guest Services (I'm assuming ticket booth, not city hall).

We’ve been discussing it over on the Photopass thread I started. The message from Disney that I got is that it will not be good for photopass and they won’t refund the cost of it. (Edit: that was from the chat this week)

I’m waiting for the parks to open to see what’s actually in play and if this is true, I’ll be calling to see what gives. MaxPass x6 was not cheap!

I know that our friends went to WDW the first week that it was open with tickets already paid for that we’re park hoppers. Park hopping wasn’t allowed when WDW first opened and they got a refund (in person) for the price difference of the park hopper. My friend was pretty happy about it!

I know that our friends went to WDW the first week that it was open with tickets already paid for that we’re park hoppers. Park hopping wasn’t allowed when WDW first opened and they got a refund (in person) for the price difference of the park hopper. My friend was pretty happy about it!
That will definitely be my last resort. I’d like to avoid the tickets booths, but for that kind of money, it’ll be worth it!

I had tickets, but they were part of a package. When they dropped MaxPass from the system, but kept letting me push the package dates, they refunded the MaxPass portion of the ticket. Eventually I got a refund for everything when they stopped pushing out package reservations.

Thanks so much for all the responses. I was surprised not to have seen much about this. I guess there aren't many of us with pre-purchased tickets that weren't refunded that included MaxPass. I was hoping I might be able to avoid the ticket booth, but it sounds as if that's going to be the likely road to get something pack. Mine were x3 so not as bad as x6 but still a good $150ish, I suspect. I hope someone will report back after the parks open. I'm not going until early June...

I am not a lawyer, but I play one in real life. The fine print does say Maxpass is nonrefundable. But the language all refers to attractions/selections being unavailable and those can change at any time. That implies to me that it's not refundable based on guest satisfaction or a change of heart before a visit. The system being completely unavailable is a different matter (to me) and no refund is not gonna cut it, especially after waiting in line at the ticket booth.

I'd be more than happy to take credit on a gift card and spend it in the Park. Actually that would probably be the only way since my transaction was with GAT. I thought about trading in my tickets with them and getting current stock and adding a day. But now at least one of my park days is unavailable. Risky move...

I am not a lawyer, but I play one in real life. The fine print does say Maxpass is nonrefundable. But the language all refers to attractions/selections being unavailable and those can change at any time. That implies to me that it's not refundable based on guest satisfaction or a change of heart before a visit. The system being completely unavailable is a different matter (to me) and no refund is not gonna cut it, especially after waiting in line at the ticket booth.

I'd be more than happy to take credit on a gift card and spend it in the Park. Actually that would probably be the only way since my transaction was with GAT. I thought about trading in my tickets with them and getting current stock and adding a day. But now at least one of my park days is unavailable. Risky move...
Agreed. They did offer to refund the entire cost of my tickets, which might be their out, but I had already made park reservations on those tickets, so I couldn't take that offer.

There is precedent for refunds on MP too, but they had to be done on site. And they were related to those days when the system fully broke. MP not being available at all, in my opinion, should fall under this.

But it 100% had to be dealt with on site. It wasn't something they could/would handle over the phone.

Just to update - I was doing a chat about something else and asked WHY they aren't considering refunded the cost of MaxPass since there is absolutely no value in it right now. She responded that at this time they don't know how they're going to handle it for people who have tickets with it. So at least it's better than a "no refund". I do think @Kender is right and it's something that will have to be dealt with at the ticket booth - which I assumed all along, but felt better having something to back up my request there. I hate giving up the time, but for that kind of money, I'm going to have to make it.

Just to update - I was doing a chat about something else and asked WHY they aren't considering refunded the cost of MaxPass since there is absolutely no value in it right now. She responded that at this time they don't know how they're going to handle it for people who have tickets with it. So at least it's better than a "no refund". I do think @Kender is right and it's something that will have to be dealt with at the ticket booth - which I assumed all along, but felt better having something to back up my request there. I hate giving up the time, but for that kind of money, I'm going to have to make it.
Thanks for the update. I'm actually a former lawyer, LOL. I suspect they will do something despite the language. As SeaDis alluded to, it's different to say something is nonrefundable because certain rides aren't available to actually paying for a service that isn't being offered. How they do it though will be interesting. My suspicion is they will take the gate price for the ticket purchased and compare it to the one without Maxpass and issue the difference? I'm already not looking forward to that ticket booth wait!

Same boat here. Get Away Today told me this week: DLR will refund the Maxpass amount at Guest Services (I'm assuming ticket booth, not city hall).
Thank you for mentioning this. I thought I was just going to lose the extra money for my 6 MaxPass tickets. I’ll check into this when we visit.

Did the same thing for my family x5. We're going in October. I'm hoping that by then, things will have come back to a close-to-normal state. With over 55% of the over-16 population of the state already receiving at least one C19 vaccine, and another nearly 10% of the state who've had it already, I feel like we're at that point where restrictions will loosen significantly over the summer. It's still out there for sure, and I even lost another co-worker this weekend, I hope we're close to seeing the end of this crappy virus.

Update on my solution from Get Away Today
*Note they report the deadline for re-issuing tickets is April 29th (that's Disney's deadline, not theirs)

I traded in my old 4-day Parkhoppers with Maxpass purchased Feb 2020. They issued me new stock, 5-day Parkhoppers. Because of the amount I paid for Maxpass, the new tickets were slightly less which they are crediting.

I was worried about the risk of having old/cancelled tickets with Park Passes linked to my account and a lengthy Disney call/chat to fix this. But I really wanted to avoid a trip to the ticket booths (for possible MP refund) which I am picturing being a real mess; especially if they have launched a new membership program before our trip. I also wanted to add a day, and obviously worried about not having Park Pass availability to add a day during our trip.

I'm happy to report success on all. It went like this:
1) GAT cancelled/reissued tickets in just seconds. Clearly it was just a few clicks on their end.
2) In just the time it took to end the call, I went to the App and the old tickets disappeared (sweet, no de-link call to Disney).
3) I went to the Disneyland.com and my 4-day Park Passes were still there. I cancelled all... no errors even though the associated tickets were gone.
4) My GAT emails arrived in under 60 seconds (cancellation and new tickets/invoice)
5) I linked the new tickets and booked all Park Passes with no issues (using hotel bucket/VGC)

Happy camper here and I'm a big fan of GAT. Also, score one for Disney IT/ticket system, even though it's a little goofy seeing different things in App/website. At least the database is working. Hope the front end is synched up soon.

Now, if we have issues at the gate or trying to get ROTR Boarding Groups, I will eat my words. But really, everything looks in order. It was a pleasant surprise! :thumbsup2

I just wanted to update on this. I did the chat on the app last week and they told me to call ticketing, so I did that. At first they told me they weren't refunding MaxPass, but something I asked, triggered her to look into it a little more and she found that they were. She told me options were doing it in person at the booths for a physical gift card, I could email through the website or she could help me with it. I elected to have her help me - it took some time, but she was able to get it all done and says I should have an e-gift card emailed to me in about 4-6 weeks, which is right before our trip, so hopefully it all works out!

I just wanted to update on this. I did the chat on the app last week and they told me to call ticketing, so I did that. At first they told me they weren't refunding MaxPass, but something I asked, triggered her to look into it a little more and she found that they were. She told me options were doing it in person at the booths for a physical gift card, I could email through the website or she could help me with it. I elected to have her help me - it took some time, but she was able to get it all done and says I should have an e-gift card emailed to me in about 4-6 weeks, which is right before our trip, so hopefully it all works out!

I just called and listened to about 5 minutes of recorded info and then they said the call queue was closed and hung up. :( Was the number you called 714-781-4636?

I just called and listened to about 5 minutes of recorded info and then they said the call queue was closed and hung up. :( Was the number you called 714-781-4636?
Yes it was. Try again in about 30 mins. I won’t lie - the first time I called I was on hold for 3 hours before it disconnected me. I tried again the next morning and was on hold for 2 before finally getting through. I almost gave up and decided I would try at the ticket booths, but really didn’t want to.

Yes it was. Try again in about 30 mins. I won’t lie - the first time I called I was on hold for 3 hours before it disconnected me. I tried again the next morning and was on hold for 2 before finally getting through. I almost gave up and decided I would try at the ticket booths, but really didn’t want to.

Oh wow, ok thanks. I guess I'll probably just wait until closer to my trip. Good to know they did it for you though!

Great news! Thank you for sharing. Did you purchase the tickets directly from Disney, or was it through a third party?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter