"Premium parking"

That's my whole thing with it. All of these "premium experiences" and them raising prices left and right, while making so many cuts, is what's crazy to me.
I couldn't agree more! I know other parks do it (premium experiences) but the cuts combined with price hikes (just like you said) are nuts! You have to give people more if you charge more, not the other way around!

I don't believe the entire lot is premium just a row or two.

It just started today

I can understand Magic Kingdom and EPCOT having premium parking, but not Animal Kingdom. The entire lot is so tiny that waiting for a tram is manageable and it is possible to walk to and from many spots. We were parked in row 10 of Peacock and walked instead of taking the tram. I can see why they would make that a premium location, but I do not see the need like the other parks. Maybe they are anticipating with the new nighttime hours/shows/rides that more people will want to have a closer spot at the end of the night? We were there from park open to park close, so it was nice to bypass the people waiting for the trams and walk right to the car, but I do not know how easy it would be to walk the parking lot at night. We tried to cross where we were told to do so and had to wait for a safe opportunity. Every time we went to walk across the road another car came speeding through to pick people up. This happened to other people too and a small child was almost hit. Disney really needs someone making sure people are going no faster than 15 mph if they want people to use the sidewalk then cross the road.

I can understand Magic Kingdom and EPCOT having premium parking, but not Animal Kingdom. The entire lot is so tiny that waiting for a tram is manageable and it is possible to walk to and from many spots.

The Animal Kingdom parking lot is nearly 100 acres - almost the same size as Magic Kingdom itself

It does not fee like it. I also do not think I have ever seen it that full.

That lot is wider than it is long, whereas MK is longer than wide.
It doesn't feel big when you reach the road, but if you have my luck and always are parked at the outside of the lot, then it feels very large.

But I personally never use the tram unless it is sitting there waiting for me in any of the parks, and I am there pretty much every other day. 100 acres has become normal to me, though I get that it's not for many people. I also grew up in a major metropolitan area outside of Florida, so I'm used to paying to park for anything with much more volatile prices than what Disney offers - at least their surge pricing is optional.

If people are willing to pay $15 to save a few steps at the end of the day, more power to them.

Last edited:
That lot is wider than it is long, whereas MK is longer than wide.
It doesn't feel big when you reach the road, but if you have my luck and always are parked at the outside of the lot, then it feels very large.

But I personally never use the tram unless it is sitting there waiting for me in any of the parks, and I am there pretty much every other day. 100 acres has become normal to me, though I get that it's not for many people. I also grew up in a major metropolitan area outside of Florida, so I'm used to paying to park for anything with much more volatile prices than what Disney offers - at least their surge pricing is optional.

If people are willing to pay $15 to save a few steps at the end of the day, more power to them. They help pay my salary so I'm not too worried about it

As a born and raised Florida resident and Disney goer, I have walked those lots almost as much as I have walked the parks! I have a touring plan and know what I am getting into when I go. Plus, a little rain and heat do not stop me. Last night it poured at MK and we walked onto so many rides because we donned ponchos while everyone else left. I do not know when the last time I saw a 30 minute wait for 7DMT at 9:30pm was. Who knew it was possible during spring break? It was great!

We always get there right as the park is opening. Unless we are park hopping, we have decent luck. We walk when we can and rest our feet when we know we are going to need to. I do know that EPCOT and MK will be getting my $15 from me each time I go, just because we are there park open to close and would prefer a short, quick walk to the car instead of having to deal with the grumpy tourists who do not know what no more boarding and stay behind the yellow line mean. (Twenty minutes waiting on the tram because the people would not stop trying to get on and stay behind the line instead of standing in the road. I do not think I have ever seen one of the tram workers so angry before, and I have witnessed some difficult guests. Fun times at 12:30am) Glad to know my lack of patience for certain types of guests helps pay your salary!

I think they are missing the real win here. Someone pointed out earlier in this thread that typically parking and grabbing a tram is less walking distance than parking near the "front" of the park and walking to the gate. Besides, there is nothing more refreshing at the end of a long day than resting your feet on the tram while the breeze blows through your hair.

Seriously though, I'd pay a premium parking fee if the premium spots were guaranteed to be the first 5-10 spots in a row making you closest to the tram rather than some lot where you still have to walk from your car to the park gate.

I think they are missing the real win here. Someone pointed out earlier in this thread that typically parking and grabbing a tram is less walking distance than parking near the "front" of the park and walking to the gate. Besides, there is nothing more refreshing at the end of a long day than resting your feet on the tram while the breeze blows through your hair.

Seriously though, I'd pay a premium parking fee if the premium spots were guaranteed to be the first 5-10 spots in a row making you closest to the tram rather than some lot where you still have to walk from your car to the park gate.

Good point. Unless you are there before, or right around, park opening, premium spots do not really seem worth it. Thankfully, most people do not take advantage of premium parking at this time because they assume they will get a close spot. We know this is not always the case and the spots can be pretty far away even at 9:20am with a 9am park opening. This is the best time to get premium spots, because chances are you will be one of the first people in the lot. This really only makes sense to me though, if you are staying a long time. Premium parking spots are not worth it, at least to me, if you are not planning on staying at the park for a substantial amount of time. That $15 does add up pretty quickly. When I go, I am there from park open to park close, if I can make it. Close spots make it nice to walk to at night and not have to wait in a long line for the trams, especially MK around closing.

So sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I did not see a thread. I've just been told that Disney is now charging $35 for "preferred" parking...is this correct? Also, even resort guests would have to pay $15 to not park out in left field. Does anyone have information on this news? We really don't like using the WDW transportation & prefer to drive to the parks. What on earth is going on???

Disney is monetizing on the people who want to park closer to the front of the lot I guess...anything they can do to make a buck or 15

Is this really so surprising? Disney is late to the game on this. Ball parks have been doing this for years. It costs $50 to park near our football stadium and as much as $100 near our baseball stadium. $35 for close to the park is a bargain.

Only the uninformed are going to pay this. If you have ever parked up front, then you know how long it takes to get out at the end of the day. I would pay extra to park near the lot exit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter