Perimenopause is making me INSANE!

My family is very late starting with this, my mom had me at 43 and started to go through this in her mid 50s. im 56 and just started in the past 3 months, had regular periods up until that! talk about enough is enough!! lol i found that black cohosh works. i would never take anything that wasn't natural.

My family is very late starting with this, my mom had me at 43 and started to go through this in her mid 50s. im 56 and just started in the past 3 months, had regular periods up until that! talk about enough is enough!! lol i found that black cohosh works. i would never take anything that wasn't natural.

Just a word of caution:. Some women are effected differently. Black Cohosh has been known to cause Liver & Kidney Failure.

I was just told I'm in the starting phase of pre ness. So tell me what do hot flashes really feel like. I'm always freezing. Unless I'm sick or its like over 90 outside. Is it so hot that you never feel cold?

Knowing my luck ill get freezing flashes!

Happy to find this thread.

I am 41 and experiencing some early signs of perimenopause much to my disgust. I hated turning 40 and railed deeply against it. Just not ready to get old.

I went to see a fertility doctor about 18 months ago and I knew that I had very low ovarian reserve at that point, but my hormones were otherwise normal. She said I looked 41 from a fertility and hormone level.

Shortly after that I started to get periods that were a bit different some months. Some months I had total PMS and horrible periods, other periods were light and manageable. I chalked it up to perhaps not ovulating some months.

Now I get my period every two weeks! It's awful. I have spotting for 2-3 days prior to bleeding, then 4 days of bleeding, and a day or two of spotting. That means I get about 8 days of no bleeding. Thank god I don't have to do a mikvah ceremony like my jewish friends - I'd get no time at all where I was 'free and clear'!

I also get hugely sore breasts. They are enlarged and sore from ovulation to period, so about half the time. Upside is that they are fuller and bigger, which is the only good side-effect! :cool1:

Every other month I get lovely acne too. That deep kind that you can't do anything about. Yuck.

I've read all the hormonal explanations for what is going on. I am not happy :rotfl:

Experiencing the hot flashes - horrible. I timed them sometimes. They are like contractions - fine for an hour or so and then can't function. My family complains since I keep the house cool and put the a/c in the car even when it's not needed.

Do not sleep more than two hours. (Then again, I have not slept well in years). Twist and turn, can't fall asleep, can't stay sleeping. Blanket/sheet on, two minutes later off. All night long :sad2:

Experiencing the hot flashes - horrible. I timed them sometimes. They are like contractions - fine for an hour or so and then can't function. My family complains since I keep the house cool and put the a/c in the car even when it's not needed.

Do not sleep more than two hours. (Then again, I have not slept well in years). Twist and turn, can't fall asleep, can't stay sleeping. Blanket/sheet on, two minutes later off. All night long :sad2:

Oh goodness that sounds awful!

I had to cut back the caffeine in my life. That helped me some.

My "hot flashes" consists of feeling like I am going to pass out, sweating, and the feeling I have to go to the bathroom if you know what I mean. It is like a major anxiety attack. UGH.

At least I know what it is. The first few times I had them I thought I was dying. :crazy2:

I have no advice, just this. :hug: I'm going to the doctor next month to get confirmation that this is what's going on with me as well (even though my general doc says 39 is too young to start perimenopause ... whatever!).

Hang in there! :hug:

I gave birth at 36 and by 37 was into perimenopause!

Well I had a D&C yesterday, yea me. ;)

Let's see if it resets my body on the correct path. She thought I had a polyp, but it turns out it was just skin. Ewww, gross, sorry.:lmao:

A D&C is what finally ended it all for me! My last period was horrific, like a horror movie! I had to walk around carrying around a backpack of clothes where ever I went. After 3 weeks of that and getting more tired by the day I went to my Dr and lost it, I was in tears saying "I can't keep going like this, its ruining my whole life" LOL....the next day I was in for pre-op testing and the say after that in for a D&C--that is the last I ever saw of my period :) and I am one happy camper about that- done and over with by 50!!

Is anyone having sleep disturbances? I was always a night person but now I have many nights I can't sleep. I don't want to take Melatonin (take too many meds don't want another pill) Will chamomile tea help?

When I started peri I had HORRIBLE nights sleep, mostly because even with the air set at 60 I felt like I was in a tropical paradise!!

I think the worse kind off heat flash is riding in a car and needing the air conditioner on in the middle of winter. My family thinks I am nuts. It is the worst case of car sickness. If I am driving I am fine. My dh drives a truck and within a minute I am already getting clammy, hot, flushed. It doesn't help that his truck drives like a boat.

My mom was 39 when she went through menopause. I am hoping the same thing happens to me.

Sorry to burst your bubble LOL, but you best hope that menopause is a while in your future!

I've been there, done that (was older than 39 though ;)) and once you hit menopause, you start to show 'aging' ;) big time! I never thought about how much estrogen does for you body, skin, etc. but now I know. :)

Soy supplements, etc. did not work for me - took the old stand bys HRT to give me relief. Yes, I know they are controversial, but what medication isn't? :confused3

Anyhow, over that now, but, trust me, I'm not being mistaken for a 'young' woman like I had been 10 years ago! :)

So, enjoy your 'pre - menopause' years and don't wish an end to them - just some very friendly advice! ;)

Oh goodness that sounds awful!

I had to cut back the caffeine in my life. That helped me some.

My "hot flashes" consists of feeling like I am going to pass out, sweating, and the feeling I have to go to the bathroom if you know what I mean. It is like a major anxiety attack. UGH.

At least I know what it is. The first few times I had them I thought I was dying. :crazy2:

No caffeine here - drink decaf 95% of the time (for almost 10 years now). I also cannot have coffee in the morning and get dressed right after since my temperature goes up another 30%. So I have it early before showering or take it with me and have it at work (literally 5-10 mins from home).

I also cannot take a shower and get dressed. I need an hour so I can cool off. If I am in a hurry, shower water needs to be on the cool side before getting out. I know sick.

I also had the Novasure procedure a few years ago. I don't want my period to disappear. I know it is much healthier to have it and to feel better but it is, what it is. Getting close to finishing. Won't take hormones. My mom had breast cancer but even if she did not, I am not one that takes any rx easily.

We have to go through so much crap :crazy2:

Sorry to burst your bubble LOL, but you best hope that menopause is a while in your future!

I've been there, done that (was older than 39 though ;)) and once you hit menopause, you start to show 'aging' ;) big time! I never thought about how much estrogen does for you body, skin, etc. but now I know. :)

Soy supplements, etc. did not work for me - took the old stand bys HRT to give me relief. Yes, I know they are controversial, but what medication isn't? :confused3

Anyhow, over that now, but, trust me, I'm not being mistaken for a 'young' woman like I had been 10 years ago! :)

So, enjoy your 'pre - menopause' years and don't wish an end to them - just some very friendly advice! ;)

I totally agree!!!! I had my second (and last) child at 38 and went through menopause at 39. I can't tell you how much I have aged in just five years. It's crazy!!! I wish I had not gone through menopause at such a young age.

Happy to find this thread.

I am 41 and experiencing some early signs of perimenopause much to my disgust. I hated turning 40 and railed deeply against it. Just not ready to get old.

Every other month I get lovely acne too. That deep kind that you can't do anything about. Yuck.

I've read all the hormonal explanations for what is going on. I am not happy :rotfl:

I know, right? If anyone had ever tried to tell me I'd be buying hair dye and zit cream on the same drugstore run I'd have thought they were making a bad joke! :crazy:

though id update..... 9 years in perimenapause........ and praying for menopause to hit...........

9 years of dealing with all the perimenopause symptoms???? Omg, I may indeed go crazy . Ugh
It's been an interesting rollercoaster ride....some years were horrid....some not to bad.....but honestly praying to get off this ride.....put a fork in me I am done....with the floating periods....the anxiety....mood swings...headaches...cramps....buzzing ...tingling....dizziness...etc etc etc..... I really can't wait to cross into meno....maybe this will be my year.....gyno told me I am nearing the end....gosh I hope she's right

I know this thread is originally from 2012 (my DS's bday to be exact), but have seen the recent post. I have some advice for you NJcarita. Talk to your GYN if you haven't already. I started missing when I was 37. I'm now 45. I haven't been regular like I used to be for a few years now. Just recently, I finally figured out that I'm now every 4th month and it's extremely light compared to when I was younger.

I started with hot flashes last year, but my body eventually evened out so that it stopped. I got them again last August and hadn't slept a full night from that point on. I was getting up 6-7 times a night even with a box fan on in the room. On top of that, I was getting them throughout the day that would last about 5 minutes. I finally had enough and talked to my GYN. She gave me a 7 day trial of Brisdelle (Paroxetine). It's an anti-depressant, BUT, it's at a very low dosage that it's used to treat hot flashes (it's not strong enough at that low of a dosage to treat depression). It's also FDA approved for that exact use. It took about 2 weeks for it to work. I haven't had a hot flash in a week or two and I've been on it for 4 weeks now. Been sleeping through the night for about 2 whole weeks.

One word of warning though. Before using any OTC for hot flashes, talk to your doctor first. I'm glad I did. She told me that most OTC meds for hot flashes are not regulated by the FDA and you don't know what's in it. The only ones that are safe are manufactured in Canada b/c they regulate those types of medications.

I know I sounded like a commercial, lol!

I know this thread is originally from 2012 (my DS's bday to be exact), but have seen the recent post. I have some advice for you NJcarita. Talk to your GYN if you haven't already. I started missing when I was 37. I'm now 45. I haven't been regular like I used to be for a few years now. Just recently, I finally figured out that I'm now every 4th month and it's extremely light compared to when I was younger.

I started with hot flashes last year, but my body eventually evened out so that it stopped. I got them again last August and hadn't slept a full night from that point on. I was getting up 6-7 times a night even with a box fan on in the room. On top of that, I was getting them throughout the day that would last about 5 minutes. I finally had enough and talked to my GYN. She gave me a 7 day trial of Brisdelle (Paroxetine). It's an anti-depressant, BUT, it's at a very low dosage that it's used to treat hot flashes (it's not strong enough at that low of a dosage to treat depression). It's also FDA approved for that exact use. It took about 2 weeks for it to work. I haven't had a hot flash in a week or two and I've been on it for 4 weeks now. Been sleeping through the night for about 2 whole weeks.

One word of warning though. Before using any OTC for hot flashes, talk to your doctor first. I'm glad I did. She told me that most OTC meds for hot flashes are not regulated by the FDA and you don't know what's in it. The only ones that are safe are manufactured in Canada b/c they regulate those types of medications.

I know I sounded like a commercial, lol!
I actually have a bottlet of paroxtine sitting in my cabinet...my obgyn gave me last year when my hot and cold flashes and night sweats were at its worst....but I never took because I have tried antidepressant 3 times in the past 9 years and could not tolerate the side effects....I know this is really low dose so I maybe okay...so might try...I started peri at 42 ....I remember my first hot flash like it was yesterday.....I was having lunch with a group of friends and felt like someone struck a match and lit me on fire...lol... I am now 51 and figure if I have held on this long...I should be almost done...no?????

I actually have a bottlet of paroxtine sitting in my cabinet...my obgyn gave me last year when my hot and cold flashes and night sweats were at its worst....but I never took because I have tried antidepressant 3 times in the past 9 years and could not tolerate the side effects....I know this is really low dose so I maybe okay...so might try...I started peri at 42 ....I remember my first hot flash like it was yesterday.....I was having lunch with a group of friends and felt like someone struck a match and lit me on fire...lol... I am now 51 and figure if I have held on this long...I should be almost done...no?????

The Brisdelle/Paroxetine I have is a 7.5mg dosage. It took about 2 weeks for it to start working and for me to realize one day that I wasn't having any hot flashes. If that is what you have, give it a try. I'm sure it's probably a lower dosage than the other antidepressants you had. It needs time to build up in your system before you notice anything.

As far as menopause goes, I don't know if it ever ends. My mom will be 70 next month and she recently told me that her hot flashes started coming back. When she had them before they were really bad. So bad that she was soaking her nightgown and the bed sheets from sweating. She was teasing me when I told her what I was going through. Saying, "Welcome to my world!" :p Mine are under control now and now her hot flashes have started up again :laughing:

The Brisdelle/Paroxetine I have is a 7.5mg dosage. It took about 2 weeks for it to start working and for me to realize one day that I wasn't having any hot flashes. If that is what you have, give it a try. I'm sure it's probably a lower dosage than the other antidepressants you had. It needs time to build up in your system before you notice anything.

As far as menopause goes, I don't know if it ever ends. My mom will be 70 next month and she recently told me that her hot flashes started coming back. When she had them before they were really bad. So bad that she was soaking her nightgown and the bed sheets from sweating. She was teasing me when I told her what I was going through. Saying, "Welcome to my world!" :p Mine are under control now and now her hot flashes have started up again :laughing:
yes i get the soaking night sweats usually 2 days before my period hits....fun...... but the actual hot flashes have taken a hike.....thankfully

I went into surgical menopause about a year ago after having my ovaries out. I haven't noticed I'm aging more - if anything, I feel better than I did in some ways, so maybe I look a little better, idk. The biggest issue now is not hot flashes so much - but those are there, too - it's temperature regulation. My body can't deal with either being hot or cold very well. We were at WDW this past August and the heat index was 104, I thought I was going to die from the heat! Worse yet, I only made it halfway around World Showcase when we had to leave, I just couldn't stand it. :sad: Then it took me a full hour to cool off in the pool when we got back to the resort. Ugh! Anyway, these years can be tough on us in both peri and menopause. I don't have many answers, either. Hugs to all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter