Pat Robertson dead at 93.

Research requires looking at both sides. Google is also censored and the media leans one way.

The hate comment was not directed at you. It was in reference to many posts.

It doesn’t take a genius to see that there’s a problem with society right now. I guess we can agree to disagree on what’s causing it.

I'm not an expert but one area I studied many years ago was societal cultures predating organized religion as well as taking some courses on religions across the world, including Christianity. The studies done by Joseph Campbell are very good. So I learned about this information long before social media or it even being talked about in the media.

I have certainly spent time on "both sides" -- that being organized religion and cultural studies without religion. It is not hard for me to accept that there have been writings and artifacts found predating religion that show a moralistic society already weighing "crimes" and having rewards and punishments.

So in the quote above, you are saying that the media who "leans one way" only puts studies out that provide information that morals existed before organized religion and, alternatively, the biased media does not discuss organized religion? Or further with this line of thinking, Google won't have any articles posted on a general search that absolutely are pro-religion that will say that attendance at church and being involved in faith makes for a better society? Because I can assure you, on this subject matter, no matter what search engine one chooses to use, you will easily see articles supporting BOTH sides. In fact, it will be much harder to find the studies that suggest that right and wrong are innate in humans and primates.

And to your point, research does provide looking at both sides. It also requires evidence to state your point. You seem to disregard any evidence about morals being innate in humans and primates but have no evidence yourself that morals only appeared with organized religion did.

There is definitely a problem with society now but to chalk it up to lack of faith, God, or religion would be far too simplistic. You are going to find many of these offenders lining up to church on Sunday or talking about their relationship with God, etc. while they are literally stealing from you, or shooting you. Like cancer, there are a multitude of reasons that are causing this problem. It's not one thing, it's a million little cuts.

I'm not an expert but one area I studied many years ago was societal cultures predating organized religion as well as taking some courses on religions across the world, including Christianity. The studies done by Joseph Campbell are very good. So I learned about this information long before social media or it even being talked about in the media.

I have certainly spent time on "both sides" -- that being organized religion and cultural studies without religion. It is not hard for me to accept that there have been writings and artifacts found predating religion that show a moralistic society already weighing "crimes" and having rewards and punishments.

So in the quote above, you are saying that the media who "leans one way" only puts studies out that provide information that morals existed before organized religion and, alternatively, the biased media does not discuss organized religion? Or further with this line of thinking, Google won't have any articles posted on a general search that absolutely are pro-religion that will say that attendance at church and being involved in faith makes for a better society? Because I can assure you, on this subject matter, no matter what search engine one chooses to use, you will easily see articles supporting BOTH sides. In fact, it will be much harder to find the studies that suggest that right and wrong are innate in humans and primates.

And to your point, research does provide looking at both sides. It also requires evidence to state your point. You seem to disregard any evidence about morals being innate in humans and primates but have no evidence yourself that morals only appeared with organized religion did.

There is definitely a problem with society now but to chalk it up to lack of faith, God, or religion would be far too simplistic. You are going to find many of these offenders lining up to church on Sunday or talking about their relationship with God, etc. while they are literally stealing from you, or shooting you. Like cancer, there are a multitude of reasons that are causing this problem. It's not one thing, it's a million little cuts.
I don’t ignore that theory I don’t agree with it . Are humans born with morals or are they taught them . I believe the later. If people are born with morals than why does such a large percentage of people lack them? I think lack of religion and the breakdown of the nuclear family have a lot to do with it. If you look back over the decades it’s the one thing that has changed.

Yes you will find many hypocrites in church and many wonderful people that never set foot in a church that wasn’t really the point. Something has changed in our society and not for the better. I believe lack of religion bringing people together plays a role, but like you said there are other factors. If we ever have another economic depression in the country it will be all out chaos.

I don’t ignore that theory I don’t agree with it . Are humans born with morals or are they taught them . I believe the later. If people are born with morals than why does such a large percentage of people lack them? I think lack of religion and the breakdown of the nuclear family have a lot to do with it. If you look back over the decades it’s the one thing that has changed.

Yes you will find many hypocrites in church and many wonderful people that never set foot in a church that wasn’t really the point. Something has changed in our society and not for the better. I believe lack of religion bringing people together plays a role, but like you said there are other factors. If we ever have another economic depression in the country it will be all out chaos.

Okay, got it. I respect your beliefs. I believe that we are born with an intrinsic knowledge of right and wrong. I believe that it is shaped even deeper by parents, community of any sort, schools, employment, etc. I believe most people, even psychopaths/sociopaths, know right from wrong and have from a very early age. I believe outside factors lead people to make a choice to set that aside and put themselves above all that for their own gain. I do believe there is a minority of people born that probably cannot comprehend the concepts.

And I don't want you to think I'm picking on religious folks because I know there are many good ones out there--my family for instance! I just don't believe they are only good because they are religious. Bringing it all back to Pat Robertson, his cloak of religion did not help him to be a better person. He said and did very bad things with it, and he's not alone in that, unfortunately.

I had to read Wikipedia to see what controversial things he said. It made laugh… seriously this is what your worked up about. I have not seen this guy on TV since I was 10. I doubt many people under the age of 35 have heard of him. He hasn’t been relevant in years. Certainly not worth getting worked up about.

I was actually referring to the basic ten commandments. I would not use CNN as a reliable source of anything.

CNN isn't a reliable source but Wikipedia is?

I was actually referring to the basic ten commandments. I would not use CNN as a reliable source of anything.
There are TWO of the Ten Commandments that are in our laws. If it was that important, why aren't there more?

Also, I understand there's now some doubt on what was actually in the 10 Commandments. Of course, thats just something I saw on YouTube, so could be off base.

CNN isn't a reliable source but Wikipedia is?
It was reliable enough to get a brief run down on the guy. If I was going to do a deep dive into his life than obviously I’d use multiple sources. I honestly didn’t even know he was still alive until he was dead….ok that made no sense…Lol.

Research requires looking at both sides. Google is also censored and the media leans one way.

The hate comment was not directed at you. It was in reference to many posts.

It doesn’t take a genius to see that there’s a problem with society right now. I guess we can agree to disagree on what’s causing it.

Actually, one of the biggest problems with society right now is that corrupt grifters have convinced a not-insignificant portion of the population that mainstream media is fake news.

The thing that tickles me is that so few realize that the new testament is Christian and the old testament is the Jewish pre-Jesus version. Yet Christians appear to be able to hate Jews and at the same time quote their teachings. Golly people sure are funny.

True. And even in the Old Testament there are 3 versions of the 10 commandments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter