Parks dress code?

Hey now, I wear shorts as much as I can even when it’s freezing out. Has nothing to do with toughness my legs just rarely feel cold and I’m more comfortable in shorts! 🙂

Crocs though, not for me personally.
I shovel the driveway in shorts and a t-shirt at below freezing temperatures... I'm always in shorts, 365 days a year, but mainly because I don't go anywhere in winter but to work, where I am wearing shorts in an 85° environment. When I do go somewhere, it's after work.

Well, that's less crazy than some of the people I see in Orlando in hoodies when it's 100 degress out! There are crazy people out there I tell you!
Which leads me to the crazies at work. As soon as it's "Fall" season, so many people start coming to work in heavy hoodies and winter hats. Meanwhile I'm like, ah, it's still well over 100° in here...

I see people who are wearing clothes that *I* think are vomit inducing. Should I think "They should think of MY feelings before getting dressed? While I can, thats not really fair.

People get to dress how they want. The "hosts", whether it be a home, a business, the government (thinking public pools, parks, govt buildings, etc) are the ones who get to make the decision on whether they are "appropriate", not me. Of course, I'm welcome to my opinion.

As far as "inclusive", wouldnt that mean including people in activities/eventa regardless of whether I agree with their beliefs.

I disagree that someone who dresses in a way I disagree with is not being "inclusive" towards me.

I would have to argue there is a considerable difference between a woman in just a bra and a man in a shirt. This is not a well reasoned argument.
A bra is fabric that covers a chest. A shirt is fabric that covers a chest. This weird obsession that America has with a woman's chest is borderline psychotic. I have seen men with bigger boobs than some woman and yet they are not made to cover up. How is a bra any different than a bikini top?

I do understand the arguments for inclusivity and the problem that people have with my argument that a person of a more modest nature should be able to go to the parks and enjoy them without being made uncomfortable
You are misunderstanding modesty. People can be modest but that comes with how and what they do with their own body. Modesty is for themselves, not what for others wear or do. That is projecting your own modesty on others. You can also control how you feel. Don't let what others do affect you. If someone is uncomfortable about what others do, that is on that person. Any decent mental health professional will tell you that you can not control what others do, only how you react to it. The whole planet is not going to bow to any one person's wishes. If someone actually felt that way, I would suggest some counseling to help them work through their issues.

I do wonder if a man could get away with wearing what so many women wear these days, though. I bet not. Disney probably wouldn't allow a man in a cut halter top and shorts that don't cover his butt cheeks into the park.
Based on my experience, “plumber’s crack” (aka “builder’s bum” if you are British) is permitted in Disney parks.

Based on my experience, “plumber’s crack” (aka “builder’s bum” if you are British) is permitted in Disney parks.

Oh, I've seen it. A buddy of mine, who is a larger fella, pretty much mooned everyone getting out of The Matterhorn! 🤣

Also, if you ever do the water parks, the Humunga Cowabunga or Summit Plummet will no doubt give you a mega-wedgie! Things can be seen at the bottom.

I do understand the arguments for inclusivity and the problem that people have with my argument that a person of a more modest nature should be able to go to the parks and enjoy them without being made uncomfortable. I get that they can simply stay home if things make them uncomfortable believe me. I get that. But I also argue that they shouldn't be forced to choose not to go and unfortunately for some cultural and religious differences and beliefs, that is the choice that has to be made.
But sometimes you do have to make hard choices to follow your religion - lots of religions place different kinds of restrictions on their followers: foods you can't eat, days you can't do certain things, etc. Sometimes those restrictions keep you from participating in things you would otherwise like to do.

The point is, those are choices you are expected to make, not choices you are expected to guilt others into making. I think this poster explains it very well in the theme park context:

Someone choosing to dress modestly is fine. If someone wants to make others do the same, then that is not. Conversely, someone choosing to dress more provocatively is also fine, as long as they're not trying to make everyone else also do it. That's the key difference.
Inclusivity means that both people are welcome in the theme park, and that neither is expected to change for the other.

But why should we accommodate the tastes of certain "Anglo based" religions and not Islam? If we're going to start worrying about the modesty standards for one religion, then surely we have to worry about the standards for all religions.
And that is a very confusing, very slippery slope we do not want to go down!

Oh, I've seen it. A buddy of mine, who is a larger fella, pretty much mooned everyone getting out of The Matterhorn! 🤣

Also, if you ever do the water parks, the Humunga Cowabunga or Summit Plummet will no doubt give you a mega-wedgie! Things can be seen at the bottom.
I know Americans tend to favor longer, looser swim trunks, but speedo-style suits help prevent wedgies!

I can't always avoid it and some things are hard to unsee. It's especially more difficult when a small child is physically and verbally pointing it out. If I'm on a nude beach or in a strip club it's expected but not at a theme park. There is also a difference between tasteful and lewd. I suspect some are discourteous because they can be and also for the pure shock value.
I have 2 boys who are now 9 and 11, and believe me, they def notice and have in the past, pointed and asked questions. But I taught them very young that it was always ok to ask me questions, but to do it quietly. Did that always work? No. And when it didnt it was very easy to say " They are wearing that because they want to and if it isn't hurting us, it's not our business what others wear." Pretty simple and still respectful enough that if the person they are talking about hears, it shouldn't be offensive to them. Its important to teach children to be more accepting and less judgemental than generations past. Also, I've been to strip clubs, and never have I ever seen someone dressed as tho they worked at one at Disney.
Your definition of tasteful is not the same as everyone elses. I am offended by pretty much nothing. Others are apparently clutching their pearls at the sight of a female showing her midriff. Neither of us have the right to expect others to agree with us or dress how we deem appropriate.

I know a guy with an advanced degree that drives for Lyft because he maintains the same wild appearance he did in high school. No one wants to hire him for a corporate job. So he has the school loans but not the salary.

This is no different than Disney denying people.

Folks that say they want to maintain their individuality end up looking like other people wanting to maintain their individuality. They’re denying social norms. So society punishes them with lower paying jobs. You’ll have a few exceptions. But they’re not the norm.
Unfortunately I will be in the minority on this one yet again. I think that professional jobs should have professional standards of dress and decorum. I understand that there are geniuses that have long hair and facial tattoos. Well they will be broke geniuses unless they start there own companies. More power to them if they do because I am sure it is everyones dream to get rich and work on and under your own terms. If you can do it do it. Unfortunately most cannot and If you want a professional job you should have a professional appearance

On the other hand, if you don't want people looking at something, then why are you leaving it exposed in public? I'm not going to change the way I'm looking just because you happen to walk into view with everything hanging out.
There is a diffference between noticing or looking and oogling creepily.
A bra is fabric that covers a chest. A shirt is fabric that covers a chest. This weird obsession that America has with a woman's chest is borderline psychotic. I have seen men with bigger boobs than some woman and yet they are not made to cover up. How is a bra any different than a bikini top?
Very valid point. This country does seem to view breasts much differently than others. It is odd how society differentiates between a bra and a bikini top. Even I am guilty of it for myself. I have no problem being around my boys in a bikini, but I wouldn't walk around in a bra and no shirt. And that is stupid.

Unfortunately I will be in the minority on this one yet again. I think that professional jobs should have professional standards of dress and decorum. I understand that there are geniuses that have long hair and facial tattoos. Well they will be broke geniuses unless they start there own companies. More power to them if they do because I am sure it is everyones dream to get rich and work on and under your own terms. If you can do it do it. Unfortunately most cannot and If you want a professional job you should have a professional appearance
The concept of professional dress changes over time. These men are all dressed professionally for an office in the 1970s but would look out of place today.
Sears-suits-and-menswear-from-the-1970s-1.jpg

There is a diffference between noticing or looking and oogling creepily.

Very valid point. This country does seem to view breasts much differently than others. It is odd how society differentiates between a bra and a bikini top. Even I am guilty of it for myself. I have no problem being around my boys in a bikini, but I wouldn't walk around in a bra and no shirt. And that is stupid.
Absolutely agree with this, especially after living in Europe. Breasts, specifically nudity is not treated in the same way as in the US. Whenever I went to a place to swim (be it a lake, river, etc.) it was normal to see a woman topless or even completely nude. I remember the first time I went to France I saw an advertisement at a bus stop where a woman was topless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter