Park Hopping......

Interesting that in Disneyland, Park Hopping is allowed for all at 11am. However there is no announcement or plan on eliminating the reservation system for the future. We on the west coast are closely watching how Disneyworld implements their changes in hopes it comes out west.

Interesting that in Disneyland, Park Hopping is allowed for all at 11am. However there is no announcement or plan on eliminating the reservation system for the future. We on the west coast are closely watching how Disneyworld implements their changes in hopes it comes out west.
I’d rather keep the reservations and be able to park hop at 11 am at Disney world

I’d rather keep the reservations and be able to park hop at 11 am at Disney world
I completely agree with you. We try to do an annual trip to Disneyworld, and planning around that 2pm park hop is a pain. Especially when you have to tap in at your reservation park first. That is not required at the Disneyland Resort. After 11am, you can go directly to the other park.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think DL will keep reservations indefinitely because it helps management control the influx of locals, who are a much bigger force there than at WDW. Yes, many locals have APs and DL also has some control through them (blockout dates), but reservations give them even more predictability for attendance numbers and therefore staffing.

I get why they implemented park reservations immediately after the restart, and sort of understand why they put the 2pm hop rule in place, but the need for either of those ended a LONG time ago. Any of the "reasons" given now just sound like making excuses to me. All I know is, it's great that they're finally ending the park reservations (even though it's ridiculous that it's not until next year) but the park hopping thing is the last deal-breaker before the hubs and I book another trip.

I like to plan, but we also very much like to be flexible. There were a number of times on our last trip in February 2020 where we had planned to go to one park, but woke up and decided to go to a different one on a whim. And we definitely are big fans of, say, early entry at one park, then hopping to another late morning when the 1st park starts to get busy. Disney can stuff it with both the reservations and the 2pm rule -- They'll get us back again when both are gone.

All I know is, it's great that they're finally ending the park reservations (even though it's ridiculous that it's not until next year)
They're not ending park reservations. Reservations will no longer be needed for date-based tickets (because those pretty much already had reservations anyway. Reservations will still be needed for other ticket types, including annual passes (in certain circumstances).

They're not ending park reservations. Reservations will no longer be needed for date-based tickets (because those pretty much already had reservations anyway. Reservations will still be needed for other ticket types, including annual passes (in certain circumstances).

Aren't date-based tickets pretty much all tickets? Aside from AP's, what else is there? If you buy a package with room/tickets, aren't those date-based in that you're telling them, "I will be at WDW from XX date to XX date"? Aside from that, for next year, that's all they'll need to know -- not what park you're going to on which date. As it used to be. Is that not correct?

Aren't date-based tickets pretty much all tickets? Aside from AP's, what else is there? If you buy a package with room/tickets, aren't those date-based in that you're telling them, "I will be at WDW from XX date to XX date"? Aside from that, for next year, that's all they'll need to know -- not what park you're going to on which date. As it used to be. Is that not correct?
That is the language WDW is using, so that's what I've been saying. I honestly wasn't sure so I looked it up, here's what it says on the website:

Starting with visits on January 9, 2024, theme park reservations will no longer be required for date-based tickets. A date-based ticket requires you to choose a start date when you purchase.
For other admission types, theme park reservations may be required.

No Theme Park Reservation Required

• Date-based 1-day ticket
  • Date-based multi-day ticket
  • Vacation package with date-based tickets
Theme Park Reservation Required

• Student group tickets
  • Sport and Convention ticket
  • Annual Pass
  • All other ticket types not mentioned above

BWV is our home resort and we have APs. One reason for choosing BWV was that we loved running over to Boulangerie in the morning and grabbing breakfast. Another...we like walking through EPCOT, grabbing a drink and catching the monorail to MK. I absolutely despise the park reservation system

The reason that they won't get rid of the 2pm park hopping is because it negates their reason for having park reservations. If you can park hop whenever you want, then people will make a park reservation at any park that has an opening and then immediately hop to the one that they really wanted to go to.

The reason that they won't get rid of the 2pm park hopping is because it negates their reason for having park reservations. If you can park hop whenever you want, then people will make a park reservation at any park that has an opening and then immediately hop to the one that they really wanted to go to.

Right, which is why it makes no sense to me why they didn't also announce that they were kicking that restriction to the curb when they made the no-more-park-reservations announcement.

Military tickets, both the Salute and Magic Your Way, aren't dated so it sounds like these will still need reservations. There may be a few other kinds as well.

No, not really. If you buy a three day ticket, you are given a five day validity period in which to use those three days. So you have to make a park reservation to let Disney know which days you plan to use the pass and where you plan to use it.

A date based ticket is buying a one day Magic Kingdom ticket for August 17th. It is only good at one park on one day, and Disney will make the park reservation for you based on that purchase.

Disney still wants to know how many people are going to each park. They are simply making a minor adjustment in how they gather that data. If you buy anything other than a one day ticket, you will have to make a park reservation after January 8th just like you do before January 8th.

I am no fan of the park pass system and as an AP, I am looking forward to the day when it’s no longer required. That day hasn’t been announced yet.

If you buy anything other than a one day ticket, you will have to make a park reservation after January 8th just like you do before January 8th.

That's not what their page says:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/park-reservations/#drawer-card-beyondJanuary

see 2nd bullet point

Visiting on or After January 9, 2024

Starting with visits on January 9, 2024, theme park reservations will no longer be required for date-based tickets. A date-based ticket requires you to choose a start date when you purchase.
For other admission types, theme park reservations may be required.
No Theme Park Reservation Required
  • Date-based 1-day ticket
  • Date-based multi-day ticket
  • Vacation package with date-based tickets
Theme Park Reservation Required
  • Student group tickets
  • Sport and Convention ticket
  • Annual Pass
  • All other ticket types not mentioned above

If you have to choose a start date for your ticket, it is a date-based ticket. So 7-day tickets are date-based, even if you have 10 days to use them.

Right, which is why it makes no sense to me why they didn't also announce that they were kicking that restriction to the curb when they made the no-more-park-reservations announcement.
Because park reservations aren't going away for everyone.

I completely agree with you! Our last big trip we stayed at Boardwalk. It would have been so nice to be able to go over to Les Halles for breakfast before heading to another park.
Yes! That's what's missing. As a BW owner, that little bit of self determination made it so much more convenient.

that might be the first time ive ever heard the term "price insensitive" LOL

man, we try to use spin words for everything these days.

Just an econ term. Disney heavily uses dynamic pricing and serves seemingly a million different market segments, which is why it's surprising that they haven't created multiple tiers for park hopping already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter