Parents of Class of 2018 thread

Am I the only 2018 mom not stressing about college? Seriously, the schools my kids are looking at are nearly sure things for them based on GPA and test scores. As in, such a sure thing I'm not wasting on second of time on stressing. LOL. There ARE schools out there where they WILL get in. Maybe it's just my area of the country, but I don't know any parents stressing over it.

Maybe if my kids wanted to go to Harvard (which thankfully, they do not)...although my son did look longingly at the Harvard brochure he got sent....he KNOWS it is unaffordable (and please don't waste my time saying that it is...believe me, I've done the net cost calculators for ALL those schools, and they are not as we are expected to pay for it in it's entirety...). Since his scores are "good enough" to get recruited to all the big name schools (yes, they ARE that good), I know for a fact that there are literally 100's of other schools which would be more than happy to have him, probably with some merit aid tossed in.

My daughter has settled on a school where her already existent GPA and ACT score gets her in, with scholarship money. Done. She loves the school and it's a good fit.

My DD is a college junior but we did not stress, Texas is an auto admit state so she had her pick of any state university. She did apply to one private/reach because you hear so much that they will often give the money. I think that those stories are very anecdotal and completely untrue for most students. Don't believe me- read the stressed out college threads.

My nephew is a senior this year and also in Texas so he's going to UT as an auto admit. He did have some stress regarding whether he would be accepted into Nat Science but he was so it's all done.

I encourage everyone we know to apply to a couple of safeties- and make sure that you can afford them. It seems the problem for some though is that they thought there was a lot of money out there and didn't expect to pay or didn't give their kid a clear idea of what they could pay.

And get that SAT/ACT as high as possible. We should have gone the private tutor route. DD is on the Excellence scholarship at her school. A couple of more points on her ACT would have gotten her 3K more per year.

Actually, that's not true. There are some automatic admit schools with certain GPAs and test scores. :-)

It helps that all the "reach" schools we know we can't afford. Makes it super simple.

So, I guess my kids will just have to suffer and go to non-reach, but still perfectly adequate schools.

Around here the only automatic admissions are community colleges and I assume you're not talking about those. That's it. Even some of the state schools are very hard to get into and not a sure thing.

And my son does want to apply to a couple reach schools because you just never know. He knows finances will be an issue at some of them, but still wants to try. And he'll apply to some he's well-suited for and some that are easier to get into as well. Hopefully he'll have a mix to choose from.

Am I the only 2018 mom not stressing about college? Seriously, the schools my kids are looking at are nearly sure things for them based on GPA and test scores. As in, such a sure thing I'm not wasting on second of time on stressing. LOL. There ARE schools out there where they WILL get in. Maybe it's just my area of the country, but I don't know any parents stressing over it.

I'm not stressing out. I have on in college now and another graduating in 2018, another in 2021.
So far the only one of my kids that is talking about applying to tons of schools is my youngest. Of course he still has the dream of going to UCLA or UCONN on a basketball scholarship. I'm sure in a year or so reality will set in LOL.

My other two have decided to start at the CC and go to a State school after that. They would rather graduate debt free than have a prestigious school name on their diploma. Dh and I are perfectly ok with that.

I'm not stressed about her getting into college in general -she has very good SAT scores, very good GPA, and is in the top 2% of her class...I worry about her acceptance into nursing programs, everyone I talk is freaking me out, saying how hard it is to get in.
She's not trying to go anywhere super prestigious, state schools, as long as they're direct admit. But still..

And btw, just got her second SAT scores in today, and she went down 30 points. I thought everyone always went up. Ugh. But her first scores were good enough that she really didn't have to take it again-her high school has all juniors take the SATs together, which was why she took it a few weeks ago.
She's taking them one more time, because maybe she can hit 1400, and hopefully more merit aid.

Joining along. DD is a Junior this year and like others have posted, has a good GPA, a nice mix of extra curricular's and volunteering but that darn ACT score needs to come up!!! She took it a few weeks ago and we're waiting on that score before deciding on going the prep course route. Are any ACT test dates better/worse than others?

Around here the only automatic admissions are community colleges and I assume you're not talking about those. That's it. Even some of the state schools are very hard to get into and not a sure thing.

And my son does want to apply to a couple reach schools because you just never know. He knows finances will be an issue at some of them, but still wants to try. And he'll apply to some he's well-suited for and some that are easier to get into as well. Hopefully he'll have a mix to choose from.

Nope. Not community colleges. Decent schools, actually. It is very different in the midwest is my opinion. There are a LOT of very good schools out there in the 4 state area (Minnesota, Wisconsin, South Dakota, and North Dakota), and we have in-state tuition (because of reciprocity) at ANY of the public schools in those states. And, lots of available spots. Acceptance rates run well over 80% at most of these schools, and as my children's ACT/SAT scores are ABOVE the 75th percentile averages, I think they've got a better than average shot at some of them (heck, there are a couple they are considering that SAY you are "in" in you've got a certain combo of ACT and GPA (which they do).

The people I know who are wigging about it tend to be my friends in the NE and the West Coast. I think those areas, because of population density, have far fewer spaces per capita than other areas. Here? Like I say, I know of NO ONE who is stressing about it, including people who graduated last year and are graduating this year. I love the midwest. LOL

My DD is a college junior but we did not stress, Texas is an auto admit state so she had her pick of any state university. She did apply to one private/reach because you hear so much that they will often give the money. I think that those stories are very anecdotal and completely untrue for most students. Don't believe me- read the stressed out college threads.

My nephew is a senior this year and also in Texas so he's going to UT as an auto admit. He did have some stress regarding whether he would be accepted into Nat Science but he was so it's all done.

I encourage everyone we know to apply to a couple of safeties- and make sure that you can afford them. It seems the problem for some though is that they thought there was a lot of money out there and didn't expect to pay or didn't give their kid a clear idea of what they could pay.

And get that SAT/ACT as high as possible. We should have gone the private tutor route. DD is on the Excellence scholarship at her school. A couple of more points on her ACT would have gotten her 3K more per year.

Yes, after my son got the "glossy" and slick brochures from Stanford and Harvard "promising" to 100% meet "demonstrated need", I got a little optimistic (for like a second). Then, of course, reality smacks you in the face when you fill in their "net cost calculator" and somehow despite their "promise" that parents below a certain income level will get a full scholarship (which we EASILY meet), we still end up with an "estimate" to pay 100%. LOL. Then, you read the "fine print," buried deep on their website which says blah, blah, blah income level AND "average assets." Ah, there's the catch, huh? The number they list for "average" assets is pretty shockingly low for someone who has college aged children, IMO, and since DH and I are both close to 60 years old, I'd be mortified if my outside of retirement assets (including equity in a home, etc) was that LOW. LOL. Apparently, we are supposed to sell everything, live in a 1 BR apartment, and educate our children instead. Uh. No. Not necessary. Sorry kids. You are going to have to make due with a public university OR select a less than top notch private that still offers merit aid. Shrug. Somehow, I think it's going to turn out ok.

Maybe if my kids wanted to go to Harvard (which thankfully, they do not)...although my son did look longingly at the Harvard brochure he got sent....he KNOWS it is unaffordable (and please don't waste my time saying that it is...believe me, I've done the net cost calculators for ALL those schools, and they are not as we are expected to pay for it in it's entirety...). Since his scores are "good enough" to get recruited to all the big name schools (yes, they ARE that good), I know for a fact that there are literally 100's of other schools which would be more than happy to have him, probably with some merit aid tossed in.

My daughter has settled on a school where her already existent GPA and ACT score gets her in, with scholarship money. Done. She loves the school and it's a good fit.

I'm not stressing about college. I know my son will have plenty of choices. I'm "worried" he may not get in to his top choices. I use the term worried just in general. I"m not losing sleep over it. I don't like seeing him disappointed, but his grades, test scores and extra curricular activities are all really good. I'm also not stressed about younger DS who graduates in 2020. Even though he is not the star student that older DS is. He's still a great kid, and very smart. He just isn't good at applying himself. His grades will make it much harder for him to get into college. We know he may end up at community college. We are fine with that.

My stress is more from the realization that my mommy years are coming to an end. It makes me sad. I'm dealing with it of course. It's my own problem. My boys are well adjusted, and could easily be on their own already. I'm really going to miss my family of 4 sitting down to family meals, and hanging out together. It's been my life for over 16 years. It seems to be hitting me sooner than some families because oldest DS is already missing family vacations and activities due to his work, and his dual enrollment classes. Now youngest just got hired for his first summer job, and may not be going on our summer vacation. I might just cancel it. It's kind of getting me down.

I'm not stressing about college. I know my son will have plenty of choices. I'm "worried" he may not get in to his top choices. I use the term worried just in general. I"m not losing sleep over it. I don't like seeing him disappointed, but his grades, test scores and extra curricular activities are all really good. I'm also not stressed about younger DS who graduates in 2020. Even though he is not the star student that older DS is. He's still a great kid, and very smart. He just isn't good at applying himself. His grades will make it much harder for him to get into college. We know he may end up at community college. We are fine with that.

My stress is more from the realization that my mommy years are coming to an end. It makes me sad. I'm dealing with it of course. It's my own problem. My boys are well adjusted, and could easily be on their own already. I'm really going to miss my family of 4 sitting down to family meals, and hanging out together. It's been my life for over 16 years. It seems to be hitting me sooner than some families because oldest DS is already missing family vacations and activities due to his work, and his dual enrollment classes. Now youngest just got hired for his first summer job, and may not be going on our summer vacation. I might just cancel it. It's kind of getting me down.

Oh, that part I completely get! Mine are twins and will fly the coop at the same time. My world is going to look VERY different next fall. :-( I try to comfort myself with the knowledge that I have done my job pretty well....but that doesn't always work. DH and I have been working hard at getting back to being a "couple" again....doing more and more things just the two of us. We USED to enjoy that. LOL. May we all manage that transition as well as we possibly can.

I'm not stressing about college. I know my son will have plenty of choices. I'm "worried" he may not get in to his top choices. I use the term worried just in general. I"m not losing sleep over it.

<snip>

I agree with all of this, completely! My kids are the same age as yours, class of 2018 and 2020.
My oldest is busy a lot, and I am happy she is having fun and working( babysitting) out with friends, etc., but every time it's me, my husband and my youngest out to dinner or whatever, it feels weird. I LIKE being a group of 4. I don't want to be a group of 3. Waaahhhh!
I'm ok if it's me and my husband, or me and one or both of the kids, but when it's everyone except for one of the kids, I don't like it. :P

totally with you! DD class of 2018 is our baby - not worried about her at all, I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that we'll be empty nesters in less than 18 months!!! yikes!! It's tricky being so excited to see your kids grow up and take on the world, but kinda sad for myself at the same time. I know from DS in college that I'll still be needed (and, heck, I still need my parents) but we're moving into a new phase and I need to mentally & emotionally prepare

My daughter just went to Disney for a band competition, and my oldest is in her first year of college, so it was just my husband, son, and me for a few days. I thought, this is what it will be like when my #2 goes away to school, just three of us! It's so strange. I always knew the day was coming that they would leave, of course, but the reality of it I didn't really understand until it happened. It's great for them to grow up and be independent, and I'm proud of them and all, but still, on some level I wish we could be five forever.

Joining in. Have one DD graduating 2018. Did some tours last summer and doing a few more this July. We will be moving from WA to MA and she wants to get her BSN and then masters and hopefully work in Boston hospitals and do some mission work. Not stressed about this, but will be glad when junior year is over. She goes to a private high school and are forecasting for classes this next week. Hope she gets her first choices. She took SAT and is taking ACT this Saturday.
Such a busy and exciting time for all our seniors to be!!

We went on our first college visit today. I was sad about it last night, but once we were there, I was really happy. I teared up listening to the talk the nursing professors gave to the parents, thinking how wonderful these years can be. All she'll learn, preparing for a career that hopefully she'll love. First step for the rest of her life.
Yes, I am a huge sap. Lol

We went on our first college visit today. I was sad about it last night, but once we were there, I was really happy. I teared up listening to the talk the nursing professors gave to the parents, thinking how wonderful these years can be. All she'll learn, preparing for a career that hopefully she'll love. First step for the rest of her life.
Yes, I am a huge sap. Lol

I was the EXACT SAME WAY (shocker). I had such anxiety over the visit the night before. But then I get there and I LOVE hearing the students share their pride for their school, why they choose to go there and all their stories. All the while I'm thinking "Please don't ever leave home...":sad1:

Touring some CA colleges this summer. We are planning our move back to CA for the summer of 2018 (AKA: move back HOME!)

Both of my older boys are excited as they both want to go to college back there. Oldest will finish his AA next year here and then transfer and middle will just apply as a freshman. Both have the same school in mind as their first choice, but we will look at a few.

My daughter is waiting to get her SAT scores from last month. In the meantime trying to decide if she should take the ACT one more time (need to sign up today or tomorrow to avoid late fee). Does it look bad to take it several times? She took it in December without any prep and scored a 32, and then took it last month with a little prep and got the same score, although did go up a little in the math and science sections. Should she take it again? Her score is high enough to get her considered for her dream school, but if she wanted to get considered at her reaches I think she needs another point or two boost. I also realize these tests can make kids nuts! She has AP tests next week, and then SAT subject tests beginning of June (math and physics), and a third ACT would be a week later. How much is too much? She thought after she prepped the last time that she was going to go up at least two points so was disappointed. I don't think taking it three times seems like too much, but taking it 10 times might, LOL. My coworker made her son take it 5 times, first four times he got the same score (25). He was pretty sure that was his number. She made him do it again and he got the 26 he needed to be recognized at the academic awards at his high school. It would seem to me that my daughter is only learning more in between tests and that could help? She is taking the SAT subject test in math, and that is where she needs a boost on the ACT. I told her to ask her math teacher for help with whatever part of the math she was stuck on last time but she won't. Any thoughts?

I have been reading college confidential and it's stressing me out, thinking my kid is not as ready for college applications as I thought.

My daughter is waiting to get her SAT scores from last month. In the meantime trying to decide if she should take the ACT one more time (need to sign up today or tomorrow to avoid late fee). Does it look bad to take it several times? She took it in December without any prep and scored a 32, and then took it last month with a little prep and got the same score, although did go up a little in the math and science sections. Should she take it again? Her score is high enough to get her considered for her dream school, but if she wanted to get considered at her reaches I think she needs another point or two boost. I also realize these tests can make kids nuts! She has AP tests next week, and then SAT subject tests beginning of June (math and physics), and a third ACT would be a week later. How much is too much? She thought after she prepped the last time that she was going to go up at least two points so was disappointed. I don't think taking it three times seems like too much, but taking it 10 times might, LOL. My coworker made her son take it 5 times, first four times he got the same score (25). He was pretty sure that was his number. She made him do it again and he got the 26 he needed to be recognized at the academic awards at his high school. It would seem to me that my daughter is only learning more in between tests and that could help? She is taking the SAT subject test in math, and that is where she needs a boost on the ACT. I told her to ask her math teacher for help with whatever part of the math she was stuck on last time but she won't. Any thoughts?

I have been reading college confidential and it's stressing me out, thinking my kid is not as ready for college applications as I thought.

Why not have her take it but not send the scores to any schools unless she does better?

I just signed my sophomore up to take it for the first time, sort of to get her acquainted with it. We didn't opt to send scores to any schools though since I assume she'll do better on later tries.

My dd's last day of classes for the semester was today. She did a final in one class Monday and since a professor brought the wrong test today has an online final due tonight to take when she gets home. Next week she has 1 final Tuesday and 2 on Wednesday then is done for the school year. Tomorrow she will be helping out at the local special Olympics with her high school. My 7th grader probably won't like her sister being done when the last day of school for her and the high school is June 21st.

DD had a job interview this afternoon for a city youth 6 week summer job program. Since she is going to Israel for two of the weeks the director said they will see if they have a job that will allow her to do some of the hours early. She won't be able to work at a camp job. The jobs are about 20 hours a week and you can only do it 3 summers total and this will be her 2nd year.

DD met with her high school guidance counselor to pick her dual enrollment classes for the fall but basically was told since she knows what she is doing she can do it online herself and make changes as needed. She has to take an English and math to graduate high school. We went to an open house at a local state university and spoke with the person who knows the most about dual enrollment. She liked the classes dd has taken thus far and suggested that one class she is signed up for in the fall won't be accepted because the accreditation requires it be taken at the school the degree comes from so she will probably change one class. If she does that I think her schedule will be be something like 8-12:45 Mon/Wed, Tue/Thurs 2:30 to 4:20 and Thursdays 6-8:45 and the evening class is at our local branch located two miles away.

Haven't had a chance to post, DD got 1250 on SAT! She is taking it again in June. had to reschedule her ACT due to her getting really sick, won't being doing that until September due to other activities happening during summer dates.
AP test time and getting ready for finals, last day is June 13th.
Waiting to hear if she got her summer job, hopefully by Tuesday.
Got our last college tour scheduled. Now we can get plans made with friends while in town and real estate broker. Hotel and plane tickets are done, just need to reserve rental car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter