Parents of Class of 2018 thread

Joining in. Have one DD graduating 2018. Did some tours last summer and doing a few more this July. We will be moving from WA to MA and she wants to get her BSN and then masters and hopefully work in Boston hospitals and do some mission work. Not stressed about this, but will be glad when junior year is over. She goes to a private high school and are forecasting for classes this next week. Hope she gets her first choices. She took SAT and is taking ACT this Saturday.
Such a busy and exciting time for all our seniors to be!!

We went on our first college visit today. I was sad about it last night, but once we were there, I was really happy. I teared up listening to the talk the nursing professors gave to the parents, thinking how wonderful these years can be. All she'll learn, preparing for a career that hopefully she'll love. First step for the rest of her life.
Yes, I am a huge sap. Lol
Class of 2017 mom here...
I just wanted to let you know about my DD's experience with BSN admittance. BSN programs only take a small number of students and are super competitive. Many of them only have 10% acceptance rates. DD got over a 1200 on her SAT, had a 4.25 GPA, was top 20% in her class of 400, was captain of several varsity sports, NHS, clubs, many volunteer hours, and did a dual enrollment program in HS (she gets her AA degree next week, a month before her HS diploma and was Dean's List every semester at her community college). She got into every university she applied to for regular admission, but was rejected from every BSN program. University of Tennessee - accepted for Business, rejected for BSN program. University of Virginia - rejected for BSN program (only program she applied to there). She got accepted to James Madison University and her safety, Old Dominion University (with tons of merit money at ODU), but she'd have to apply to their BSN programs at the end of sophomore year. Both are super competitive with really low acceptance rates. Luckily, she was vacillating between business/marketing and nursing for the last year. She will be attending Virginia Tech (Pamplin School of Business) in the Fall, and she is so excited about her choice.

Please make sure your kids understand how competitive BSN programs are and how few students they accept. Make sure they have investigated alternate routes to becoming a nurse if that is what they are set on, or have a back up major in mind.

I just wanted to let you know about my DD's experience with BSN admittance. BSN programs only take a small number of students and are super competitive. Many of them only have 10% acceptance rates. DD got over a 1200 on her SAT, had a 4.25 GPA, was top 20% in her class of 400, was captain of several varsity sports, NHS, clubs, many volunteer hours, and did a dual enrollment program in HS (she gets her AA degree next week, a month before her HS diploma and was Dean's List every semester at her community college). She got into every university she applied to for regular admission, but was rejected from every BSN program. University of Tennessee - accepted for Business, rejected for BSN program. University of Virginia - rejected for BSN program (only program she applied to there). She got accepted to James Madison University and her safety, Old Dominion University (with tons of merit money at ODU), but she'd have to apply to their BSN programs at the end of sophomore year. Both are super competitive with really low acceptance rates. Luckily, she was vacillating between business/marketing and nursing for the last year. She will be attending Virginia Tech (Pamplin School of Business) in the Fall, and she is so excited about her choice.

Please make sure your kids understand how competitive BSN programs are and how few students they accept. Make sure they have investigated alternate routes to becoming a nurse if that is what they are set on, or have a back up major in mind.

Thanks. Yes we are aware of this and prepared for it. We did tours last year too.

DD made show choir her senior year! She tried out 3x and has been a roadie each time. This year she finally gets to be a performer!!

She is still refusing to look at any schools other than the close by state school her sis attended. She had settled on Chem as a major but flipping back to something with art instead. The state school will cover either but I'm still trying to get her to look around.

She's currently refusing to listen that we are seriously planning to move back to the East Coast from the Midwest when her brother graduates in 2019. She wants to stay close to home but I'm hoping after she gets used to college, she'll be ok if we go. She has known this was a potential plan for years.

All the prospective nursing students I know are aware, the colleges make it very clear the percentage of students accepted.
If she was just applying for college for business, I wouldn't be giving her chance of acceptance an ounce of worry. She isn't planning on applying to super competitive schools.
She vacillates between #3 and #6 in her class of 330 and all that goes along with that, but I know in such a competitive field that doesn't guarantee anything. So I stress, and I worry..

DD made show choir her senior year! She tried out 3x and has been a roadie each time. This year she finally gets to be a performer!!

She is still refusing to look at any schools other than the close by state school her sis attended. She had settled on Chem as a major but flipping back to something with art instead. The state school will cover either but I'm still trying to get her to look around.

She's currently refusing to listen that we are seriously planning to move back to the East Coast from the Midwest when her brother graduates in 2019. She wants to stay close to home but I'm hoping after she gets used to college, she'll be ok if we go. She has known this was a potential plan for years.
Congratulations-persistence pays off!

All the prospective nursing students I know are aware, the colleges make it very clear the percentage of students accepted.
If she was just applying for college for business, I wouldn't be giving her chance of acceptance an ounce of worry. She isn't planning on applying to super competitive schools.
She vacillates between #3 and #6 in her class of 330 and all that goes along with that, but I know in such a competitive field that doesn't guarantee anything. So I stress, and I worry..
I hear you! It is so hard when they work their tails off, want something so badly and have no guarantee it will work out the way they want it to. My DD is happy with her college application outcome. My DS is in flux right now. He was HS class valedictorian and is now a 2nd year at University of Virginia. He wants to be a Finance major. You don't get guaranteed admission to UVA's super competitive undergrad business school (McIntire School of Commerce, #5 in the country) when you are accepted as a 1st year. You have to take all the pre-reqs at UVA and apply in Spring of your 2nd year. He has a 3.7 out of 4.0, campus clubs, volunteer stuff, etc, and he got deferred. He has to make great grades this semester, go through an interview process and write another essay. 129 kids got deferred; they will take about 60% from the deferred list eventually. He should get his decision in early June. He is a wreck over this right now. He is hoping for the best, but making back up plans just in case of the worst. I am stressing and worrying right along with him!

Yes! SAT and AP done and DD is very glad. She has about three weeks before finals and then freedom! We have had 2 college visits as 2 more next month. Depending on how those go we may see a couple more.

We won't get SAT results until June but I think it will be pulling teeth to convince DD to take it again so fingers crossed she did well.

She has talked about getting a summer job but we will see, honestly, she is kind burned out so productively relaxing fine with me...lol

DD is also interested in global type studies as she would love to do mission/nursing work in other countries.
Such a stressful time for our kids and parents. Doing my best to keep her calm and focused on school. If she gets this job it will mostly be evenings (local ball field) so she can still have some down time and fun.

DS got his SAT score today. 1500! I'm so happy for him. He had a 1450 on the PSAT from October so I wasn't sure he would beat that. He does not want me bragging about him in real life so I won't be. Well I'm sure I'll tell a few close friends and relatives, but no Facebook posts.
Wow, that's fantastic, congrats!!

My DD GOT HIRED!!! She's so excited. Will be working in the souvenir shop at local baseball stadium. Perfect fit for her and works around our summer trip plans. Now to get through the next 21 days of school and finals, dance recital and second SAT test.

My daughter still isn't interested in college touring but I did get her talked into and signed up for the June SAT and ACT since she is interested in science.
That way she'll have both done for the first time. If she wants to take them again, she can do so in September but I remember when my son took the SAT the 2nd time, his scores were worse so it was actually a waste of money.

She is also signed up for Driver's Education in June with the plan being to take her license test at the end of June. I foresee a busy summer for us - I'm betting once school is out for the year she'll be more receptive to touring colleges.

She is also signed up for Driver's Education in June with the plan being to take her license test at the end of June

Wow your driver's ed is fast. Even if you have met the permit requirements before taking driver's ed, driver's ed is 30 hours classroom (often done in one week) plus 12 hours of driving, 6 hours of observation, and 40 hours of driving with a parent. Sounds easy enough but it takes so long for kids to get their driver's ed hours in with the driver's ed teacher. My daughter took driver's ed classroom in Aprik, turned 16 in May and got her permit a day later so the earliest she could get a license was November. She barely finished her driving school hours by Thanksgiving then had to wait to a license tester was available for the driver's ed school so got her license in early December. I can't imagine where I live anyone starting driver's ed in June and getting a license by the end of June.

DD finished finals today and is done for the school year though I think June 20th is the last day of high school finals. I don't think AP classes or classes with seniors in them do much more this year though. Seniors get to do an internship the I think the month of May if they aren't taking AP tests (or can work around AP classes)

DD got an email that she was accepted into the summer job program and has to fill out all the paperwork such as I-9, w-4, and work permit. She has an orientation to the program next week. They work 20 horus a week and have a 2 hour class per week. It pays $11 an hour which is minimum wage. However she gets the job assignment in June then needs to see if they will work around her trip. The people running the program are willing to though so hopefully that will help.

My DD got her permit at 15 (march 2015) since she was signed up for Driver ed class that summer she could get it then. Did classes and took tests when she was done, still had to have all the driving hours 40 daytime, 10 night time and got her license on her 16th bday. Each state is so different in requirements. My daughter was ready to drive and has done really well. It's nice not having to take her everywhere all the time, plus with my work schedule I was getting help from friends sometimes.

Wow your driver's ed is fast. Even if you have met the permit requirements before taking driver's ed, driver's ed is 30 hours classroom (often done in one week) plus 12 hours of driving, 6 hours of observation, and 40 hours of driving with a parent. Sounds easy enough but it takes so long for kids to get their driver's ed hours in with the driver's ed teacher. My daughter took driver's ed classroom in Aprik, turned 16 in May and got her permit a day later so the earliest she could get a license was November. She barely finished her driving school hours by Thanksgiving then had to wait to a license tester was available for the driver's ed school so got her license in early December. I can't imagine where I live anyone starting driver's ed in June and getting a license by the end of June.

DD finished finals today and is done for the school year though I think June 20th is the last day of high school finals. I don't think AP classes or classes with seniors in them do much more this year though. Seniors get to do an internship the I think the month of May if they aren't taking AP tests (or can work around AP classes)

DD got an email that she was accepted into the summer job program and has to fill out all the paperwork such as I-9, w-4, and work permit. She has an orientation to the program next week. They work 20 horus a week and have a 2 hour class per week. It pays $11 an hour which is minimum wage. However she gets the job assignment in June then needs to see if they will work around her trip. The people running the program are willing to though so hopefully that will help.

That's great that your DD got into the summer program!

Our DD has had her permit for a year already. We already have 32 hours driving with a parent - 4 of them at night so far. We actually were planning on skipping the Driver's Ed class since it's not required but she wanted to do it. The hardest part is the 6 hours of driving and 6 hours of observation to get scheduled for that. I think the whole Driver's Ed class is a waste of time for her but she wants to do it.

My son did it and he said when they got to the behind the wheel part, the teacher asked him why was he there because he already knew how to drive. They went out in groups of 3 for 3 hours at a stretch. Each student drove for an hour each time. They also included the observation time as part of the driving time for my son - maybe because he already had a lot of driving experience?
We had done the same thing with him - Got his permit and then had almost all of his driving hours in before he took the class.

The test isn't done by the Driver's Ed class - I have to schedule it thru the normal local Driver's license place. That normally takes awhile to get scheduled - it's really busy where I live.

DD got a 1320 but looking at it, the math section really brought her down. She rocked all the reading/language/essay parts. She is really resisting taking it again and given that she isn't going into a math heavy field, we are going to let her move forward with this score. She has a 4+ GPA and will have 6 AP scores and a college algebra class by the time she graduates and combined with her other stuff she should be fine for all but her super reach schools (Northwestern and U of Chicago).

DD got a 1320 but looking at it, the math section really brought her down. She rocked all the reading/language/essay parts. She is really resisting taking it again and given that she isn't going into a math heavy field, we are going to let her move forward with this score. She has a 4+ GPA and will have 6 AP scores and a college algebra class by the time she graduates and combined with her other stuff she should be fine for all but her super reach schools (Northwestern and U of Chicago).

University of Chicago is my DSs reach school. University of Michigan is a more likely probability. He has a few others on his list as well.

My son has been working at a local grocery store for 6 months. He hates it and is asking to quit.

The ironic thing is that we didn't want him to get a job in the first place. We wanted him to focus on school and his drama club activities, and just enjoy being a teen. But we thought an interview would be a good experience for him. We didn't actually think he would get the job! hahahaha! But he did and he has gotten good experience working. He doesn't need this to be a "life lesson" he knows he wants to finish college and get a job that will support him, but we aren't letting him quit yet.

We talked to him yesterday and told him he has to work until mid-July, which is about 2 months. We are planning a 3-4 week cross country trip and if he quits he can go with us. I hate that he hates his job, but sometimes that is how things go.

He will also be taking the ACT again in September, so he needs to study for that.

He is also not sure what he wants to major in. He wanted film editing, and may still look at that, but his math scores are high and we are encouraging him to look into possibly going into a math field or double major.

Last edited:
DD2 is Class of 2018. Happy to find this thread! This summer we planned a trip to NYC/Cooperstown w/ DS's baseball team and college visits the week after. Then DD2 earned a trip to HOSA Internationals, which is at WDW in June! What a huge (and for me, late) undertaking, but we shifted our gears and will do WDW prior to the baseball portion of our trip. So excited!!

DD2 will still get to visit one or two colleges in upstate NY so all is not lost on the college front.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter