Parents of Class of 2018 thread

dvcfamily41801

Future Walt Disney World Cast Member
I didn't see a thread already started....of course it could be because of my tears. I can't believe my son is going to be a freshman in high school in a few months. He had a great 8th grade year and like so many told us he would, really got involved with more activities and made so many new friends. But on the plus side, we are closer to applying for Disney College Program!! He has been reading blogs and studying interview questions and watching videos so he is ready!! He is a little nervous that he hasn't decided what he wants to do yet or where he wants to go to college, but I have assured him that I am fairly confident he is not alone!

Another one here, she's excited, I'm nervous, lol. She just turned 13, so she's young, and also has Asperger's. That being said, she has friends who look out for her, and I'm sure it will be fine! She has her life mapped out, lol..knows where she wants to go to college, and wants to be a biochemical engineer. I'm interested to see what changes over the next four years :)

My oldest signed up for high school classes on Thursday. I'm a little freaking out here...she's just excited. Ready or not, here we go! Mine has not a huge idea of what she wants to do when she grows up :) My guess is it will involve math of some sort, but she loves babies, too. We'll all just have to wait and see.

Another proud parent here. Mine will also be graduating in 2018. :wave2: I cant believe it.... Highschool already. Where does the time go? :scared1:

Another 2018 parent here! My oldest DS has exactly 9 days left of middle school and I'm the one who's emotional. I've already warned him I'll be a blubbering idiot at his promotion ceremony! He just takes it all in stride.

I'm nervous because he elected to do all honors classes and even though I know he's capable, I also know he puts a lot of pressure on himself. Just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. He'll be playing on the HS soccer team and doing the marching band too. It should be an interesting year!

We go to WDW the end of August and he has freshman orientation two days after we get back. But what better way to cap off what I hope to be a great summer!

Then I get to do it all again with #2 in the class of 2020!

My dd is also in the class of 2018. She attends a k-8 school and has recognition night this week. She doesn't have her high school schedule yet but signed up for all honors classes. At the moment she would say she wants to be an accountant but hasn't really thought about where she would go.

Earlier this year she did some survey and said she would choose Harvard (friend works there, went on field trip there) or UNH (cousin went there). The results came back saying she should consider colleges in Syracuse, Buffalo and somewhere in Minnesota. I thought it was funny because she hates the cold.

My ds will be a freshman in September and he's really excited about HS. I am so proud of him, he really had a rough start to Junior High but was just accepted into the National Jr. Honor society and will be taking all honors classes in the fall. Sorry for the mom brag, I'm just so proud of him!

I didn't see a thread already started....of course it could be because of my tears. I can't believe my son is going to be a freshman in high school in a few months. He had a great 8th grade year and like so many told us he would, really got involved with more activities and made so many new friends. But on the plus side, we are closer to applying for Disney College Program!! He has been reading blogs and studying interview questions and watching videos so he is ready!! He is a little nervous that he hasn't decided what he wants to do yet or where he wants to go to college, but I have assured him that I am fairly confident he is not alone!

Matt and Julia can do the college program together, she wants to do it, too!
Not that she's decided on college or career yet, LOL

Right now, we're finishing up middle school-trip to Great Adventure tomorrow Recognition Night("graduation") Tuesday, dinner dance Wednesday, last day of school Thursday.

She just tried out, and made, the freshman cheering team last week. Class schedules will come out in July, but shes already picked all her classes.

:wave2:

We homeschool and will continue through high school.

She is enrolled on-line for 2 courses in the fall. The rest of her courses have been selected, but we still have to purchase the of her curriculum.

We did register her for the Congressional Award. So if someone is looking for something that college admissions offices are impressed to see (so I have been told), that would be something to look into. They set goals in 4 areas and work to achieve them. So goal setting will be part of her summer plan.

She has two subjects left to finish 8th grade and those should be finished within the next two weeks. They would be done this week, but she has a rafting trip.

Her college plans are unknown. She had wanted to attend UCF for the longest time.

Wow, I can't believe that some kids are still in school! DD's promotion ceremony was June 2 and she is in full summer mode!

DD is an excellent student (unlike DH and I who didn't hit our strides until college) so she will be in mostly Honors and one AP class as a Freshman. I worry a bit about her workload but she is rarin' to go so we let her take what she wanted.

DD is very interested in math and science, right now focusing on neuroscience. We haven't talked about colleges yet but all we can hope for is a LOT of scholarship money since she wants a PhD!

Her new HS is a good one and I think she will have a great HS career!

My son will be graduating in 2018, too. Right now he wants to be a psychiatrist so he can understand teenage girls.

I told him high school will pass so quickly and to take the time and enjoy it, but I can tell by his full social calendar that he's already having a great time. Hope he keeps those friends until graduation.

Wow, I can't believe that some kids are still in school! DD's promotion ceremony was June 2 and she is in full summer mode!

DD is an excellent student (unlike DH and I who didn't hit our strides until college) so she will be in mostly Honors and one AP class as a Freshman. I worry a bit about her workload but she is rarin' to go so we let her take what she wanted.

DD is very interested in math and science, right now focusing on neuroscience. We haven't talked about colleges yet but all we can hope for is a LOT of scholarship money since she wants a PhD!

My son's taking AP History. I didn't want to mention it unless someone else did. Sounds so strange to take that as a Freshman.

My son's taking AP History. I didn't want to mention it unless someone else did. Sounds so strange to take that as a Freshman.
The only AP course they have here for freshman is AP Physics.
Originally DD was going to take that (she took Physics this year) , but she's also taking Chemistry, and wouldn't have been able to fit her electives in (band and a mandatory personal finance/research and writing course) , so no AP class, which I'm fine with-I thought the 2 sciences would be difficult.

She's taking :
Honors World Lit
Honors Geography
Honors Geometry
Gym/health
Honors Chemistry
Concert Band(clarinet)
Personal Finance/Research and Writing
Honors Spanish 2

We shall see how it goes...

At DD's HS, Honors English and AP Human Geo go hand in hand. The rest are honors and she is in Orchestra. We let her take chorus instead of Spanish this year since we felt she needed a "break" class.

I like the interactions with the school so far, their Freshman Advisory and guidance programs seem pretty good. We are freshman parents too so guidance is a good thing! ;)

Yes, we're still in school here, last day is the 26th. But...then they don't start until after Labor Day! And in the course of the next two weeks he has a career day, awards day, a whale watch, and a field day/cookout. So I don't feel too bad for him!

I'm surprised to see AP freshman classes. We don't have those here--highest level is honors for freshmen.

My son is set on being a sports statistician. Not quite sure what that will entail or where he'll go with it, but he absolutely LOVES sports and all the facts and figures, numbers and records that go along with them.

Another class of 2018 parent here! :wave2: Gosh, that sounds so weird to write. DD14 has been out of school since May 28th but we go back mid-August. I love our high school and feel comfortable with her going there. She'll be a roadie for show choir and will run track again next year.

It's our 2nd time around, DD20 graduated in 2012. I'm not sad yet but I do know too well how fast these years will go! No AP classes for her and I'm a little worried about her honors geometry class. She is not a self motivated student!

She has no clue what she wants to do but loves her volunteer position at the zoo. I can definitely see her there or working with kids but we'll see what happens.

Another Class of 2018 parent checking in!:teacher: I can't beleive that I will be the parent of a high schooler! Time definately flies...feels like the little boy in my siggie pic was just born yesterday.

We are still in school until June 25th.

We are hoping ds will be able to take advantage of the NYS STEM Incentive Program. The top 10% of each NYS highschool will be offered free SUNY tuition if they pursue a STEM degree (associates or bachelors) and agree to work in a STEM related field in NYS for 5 years. That would help tremendously because then we could use what we have saved for him for his Masters. When my dh was in grad school his tuition was waived while going for his PhD, which I think is common in certain fields.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!