Palo extra charges - are they clear enough?

Here again, not everyone has unlimited discretionary income.

I totally agree but that is also why I think it should be left to the responsibility of the person dining. They are the only ones that know if they can afford something so it makes sense to me that they should be the ones to ask. The server doesn't know your finances nor care, they are just offering suggestions to enhance your dining experience. At least that is my view. I'm sure some would say they are just after increasing the total of the final bill. But that is again why there is no one answer I suppose.

I totally agree but that is also why I think it should be left to the responsibility of the person dining. They are the only ones that know if they can afford something so it makes sense to me that they should be the ones to ask. The server doesn't know your finances nor care, they are just offering suggestions to enhance your dining experience. At least that is my view. I'm sure some would say they are just after increasing the total of the final bill. But that is again why there is no one answer I suppose.

Exactly, but I think it's rude to put someone on the spot where they have to make their finances known.

Exactly, but I think it's rude to put someone on the spot where they have to make their finances known.

I have to say I hadn't really thought of it that way until you mentioned it. I can see how asking the price would imply you are interested and then declining after the fact would then imply you can't afford it. But at the same time it can also just mean you don't feel the value is there as well. Like if you tell me that my espresso is $4 great, I'll take it, but if you tell me it is $8 I won't because I feel that is too much to pay. Sure I can afford the $8 but it doesn't mean I want to.

I have to say I hadn't really thought of it that way until you mentioned it. I can see how asking the price would imply you are interested and then declining after the fact would then imply you can't afford it. But at the same time it can also just mean you don't feel the value is there as well. Like if you tell me that my espresso is $4 great, I'll take it, but if you tell me it is $8 I won't because I feel that is too much to pay. Sure I can afford the $8 but it doesn't mean I want to.

I could go either way, although I feel most people would assume it's because you can't afford it. Otherwise, why even ask the price.

I think a value determination is more likely to be a bigger ticket item than a cup of specialty coffee.

Why someone declines an upcharge item is actually irrelevant.

My basic point, is that if DCL is going to persist with upcharge items in their upcharge restaurants, they need somehow to convey that to the patrons prior to their first conversation with their waiter, after they have already committed to dine in that upcharge restaurant.

OP says they prefer sparkling, so they should be used to this question.

Just because you like sparkling water doesn't mean you order it at restaurants. We have NEVER ordered it at a restaurant, but when we're on a RCCL ship and DH has the non-alcohol package that includes it, he orders it. I buy it every so often at the grocery store.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but Palo is not doing anything diffent from any other restaraunt that offers sparkling water as an option. Or to answer your posts header, Yes they are being clear enough.

They aren't. Obviously they aren't.

I didn't have an issue at Palo, but a few weeks ago at Remy brunch I was surprised to see a surcharge for the non-alcoholic drink my server had offered me in lieu of the complimentary glass of champagne (since I don't drink). He never mentioned it would cost extra, & I thought it was weird as the drink was obviously much cheaper than the glass of champagne that would have been complimentary with brunch. What made it more confusing was that I had been offered an alternative drink in Palo prior to dining at Remy, and at Palo was not charged extra. So how was I supposed to know that Palo would include a non-alcoholic drink, but Remy wouldn't? Nothing obvious about it.

And that right there, you should have questioned. Whoever did your bill probably thought you had the champagne AND an alternative, and charged you for the alternative. If you'd asked the head person about it they likely would have taken it off.

Just like I should have reminded them at Palo the day I had my solo brunch that I had booked when it was $5 cheaper, and was supposed to be charged the price I booked it at. I didn't. And I tipped $5 less. Which let them know absolutely nothing except that I was a bit of a cheap tipper. (then again the Italian server was super-condescending)

We both should have spoken up so that they know it's a problem.

Being 2 years ago I can't remember what it was called. From a non-coffee drinker it looked similar to what we would call a 'long black' in Australia but it would have been called something different. It was something that the Italian server recommended after discussion with my mum as to what would be more authentically Italian.

Americano. Espresso with hot water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_black "pouring a double-shot of espresso or ristretto over hot water."

Almost no different in taste to the non-coffee-expert as a cup of decent brewed coffee. What a bummer that they helped you order this after a discussion without mention that there would be a cost.

Otherwise, I see it as an attempt to dupe people, because a certain percentage of people won't ask and won't complain when the charge shows up on the bill. Disney scores!

As we can see here.

I think the dining room menus do list drink prices.
Animators-Palate-Dessert-Menu-Fantasy-June-2016_IMG_4098-1024x589.jpg

That's not the normal menu, though.

We all know what costs extra!

Very very obviously not!

What a simple and polite thing for them to do.

YES.

Surely if they had in all these years/cruises, they would have changed their policies.

IF people had told them about it. We know that many of us won't because we feel embarrassed. "It's only a couple dollars", "it was only 5 dollars", etc etc. We don't want to be seen as cheap, so we say nothing and they never find out.

I really don't understand why discussion of pricing would make someone uncomfortable.

Now I am with you. But my past was different. My cousin's family is *horrible* about this. I'm pretty sure they think every time we fly out to FL for a visit we're spending 1000s for the flight, because they don't look up prices. They won't ask about dinners. 4/6 of their family nearly sat out our Raglan Road deal because they didn't know how much it would cost. They just won't ask.

Asking the cost isn't telling anyone your finances. If someone wants to assume you can't afford it that's on them. My brother and his wife made quite a decent living, but they didn't walk out of the Maserati dealership NOT knowing the cost of the car they just bought, and they aren't going to not know the cost of the Americano they just ordered. (except they don't drink coffee, but whatever)

We had a surprise charge at dinner in Cabanas - after ordering a Shirley Temple at dinner many times in the MDRs over the different ships with no extra charge, when ordered at dinner at Cabanas, we were charged for it which came as a surprise.

We had a surprise charge at dinner in Cabanas - after ordering a Shirley Temple at dinner many times in the MDRs over the different ships with no extra charge, when ordered at dinner at Cabanas, we were charged for it which came as a surprise.
Did you ask why you were charged for it?

Did you ask why you were charged for it?
Yes, they said it was because it comes from the bar there. I didn't push it but it turns out after my son tasted it he didn't like it anyway as it was made differently than in the MDRs so we returned it and they removed the charge. It was several years ago but I think they used ginger ale, while the MDRs use Sprite to make it.

If there is a flat charge for something like palo it is not unreasonable to assume that everything is included unless otherwise stated. We have ordered bottled water and cappuccino at palo before but we knew ahead of time that there was a charge. I read about it somewhere. Our waiters there have never mentioned the charge--ever. Whereas when you order anything extra in the main dining room I have always been immediately told that it is extra. There does seem to be a bit of a snob thing going in palo- why else wouldn't they mention it? I wouldn't worry about what the waiters think about you asking if something costs extra. I don't care if someone thinks I am cheap or whatever.

On the Disney cruise site is a set of - Dining, Food & Beverages – Frequently Asked Questions

The following FAQ states without an exception for Palos and Remy's that alcoholic beverages and bottled water are an extra charge item. It says sodas are free in all dining rooms. So there is an official Disney source for this information on their website.

Q.

Are soft drinks or alcoholic beverages included with the cost of my cruise?

A.

Soft drinks are included at no extra cost with meals, while additional charges apply for bar drinks, beer, wine and bottled water.

There is no charge for soft drinks at the Beverage Station on Deck 9 of the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder. There are also 2 Beverage Stations on Deck 11 of the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy.

Complimentary soft drinks are also available at the teens-only lounge, Vibe, though there is a charge for smoothies.

There is an extra charge for sodas as well as alcoholic beverages at the bars and lounges on board.

Discover all the restaurants and Dining options aboard Disney Cruise Line.

Most restaurants I've been to, if you order "sparkling" it costs. "Tap water" doesn't have a charge.

Don't know about OPs coffee situation, but I think it sounds like it was a specialty coffee, not a regular cup of coffee. Specialty coffee cost extra (as in Cove Cafe).

This thread is giving me giggles. When we traveled to France (on our way to a Med cruise), the tap water at meals cost more than the actual food - we were in American shock! In the US, my go-to drink is ice water with mint leaves and maraschino cherries - delicious! I've gotten it for years (and do on DCL as well.) About a year ago, we were at a restaurant I'd gotten this drink at before and to my surprise, the server charged me for the mint and cherries! Now I always ask.... live and learn, right?

In 2012 we dined at Palo. :cloud9:

I told the server (prior to ordering or tasting anything) that I would like to know if anything that I order costs extra, AS I'm ordering it...:smooth:

I think I said something like "dont let me order anything that costs extra". I do the same in all inclusive resorts or anywhere that I pre-pay (like Atlantis resort dining). :idea:

Believe it or not, I ask doctors not to do any procedure without telling me if it is included or not. I have been burned twice: once by an ENT using fiberobtics for an exam (who knew it wasn't included?) and once by an orthopedist who charged extra for a sling for a broken collar bone (again, who knew?) I actually put the statement on my forms and initial them and ask the nurse to initial so I don't get charged for something without knowing prior.

This thread is giving me giggles. When we traveled to France (on our way to a Med cruise), the tap water at meals cost more than the actual food - we were in American shock! In the US, my go-to drink is ice water with mint leaves and maraschino cherries - delicious! I've gotten it for years (and do on DCL as well.) About a year ago, we were at a restaurant I'd gotten this drink at before and to my surprise, the server charged me for the mint and cherries! Now I always ask.... live and learn, right?

Your experience in France is strange. As far as I know, there is even a law that requires every restaurant in France to serve tap water with a meal for free.

Still water is bottled mineral water, just without the naturally occurring carbonation.

ETA: Ooops, sorry, i thought you were using the terms interchangeably.

Last edited:
On the Disney cruise site is a set of - Dining, Food & Beverages – Frequently Asked Questions

The following FAQ states without an exception for Palos and Remy's that alcoholic beverages and bottled water are an extra charge item. It says sodas are free in all dining rooms. So there is an official Disney source for this information on their website.

Q.

Are soft drinks or alcoholic beverages included with the cost of my cruise?

A.

Soft drinks are included at no extra cost with meals, while additional charges apply for bar drinks, beer, wine and bottled water.

There is no charge for soft drinks at the Beverage Station on Deck 9 of the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder. There are also 2 Beverage Stations on Deck 11 of the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy.

Complimentary soft drinks are also available at the teens-only lounge, Vibe, though there is a charge for smoothies.

There is an extra charge for sodas as well as alcoholic beverages at the bars and lounges on board.

Discover all the restaurants and Dining options aboard Disney Cruise Line.

Does anyone else feel that this DOES NOT answer the question being discussed here? I'm not blaming the poster. But I don't understand why Disney can't be more clear. So according to what I read above, the question I would need to ask in Palo/Remy is, "Is this sparkling water from the soft drink fountain, or from a bottle of sparkling water?" Man that is a pretty fine hair I need to split to get an answer. To me, if I can get club soda or whatever free from the soda fountain and the server offers me sparkling water from a bottle, but doesn't tell me it is from a bottle and thus will cost extra that is just NOT cool.

Does anyone else feel that this DOES NOT answer the question being discussed here? I'm not blaming the poster. But I don't understand why Disney can't be more clear. So according to what I read above, the question I would need to ask in Palo/Remy is, "Is this sparkling water from the soft drink fountain, or from a bottle of sparkling water?" Man that is a pretty fine hair I need to split to get an answer. To me, if I can get club soda or whatever free from the soda fountain and the server offers me sparkling water from a bottle, but doesn't tell me it is from a bottle and thus will cost extra that is just NOT cool.

The bottled sparkling water comes in bottles, so you can tell right away it is the bottled one. I would explicitly tell the server I want the soda water from the fountain if I don't want the bottled one. I usually call that soda water. But I agree this is confusing.

Why don't you just ask if there is an extra charge for that??? Seems like a pretty clear way to handle it?

This is a random thought, but I always assumed sparkling water in a nice restaurant meant water from a bottle (and therefore, always at a charge). And if you wanted free carbonated water, you asked for seltzer water or soda water. I don't drink sparkling water, though, so what do I know?
Considering that many really nice restaurants I've been to have a separate water menu, I now just expect that if I don't specify tap water, I'm going to be charged. I assumed everyone did the same, but you know what happens when you assume.

I can't remember if we were charged for tap water or not in France. However, I remember only ordering sparkling water on my Europe trip. There must be a reason why. I know for sure that tap water costs money in Vienna, so is the dry bread that comes with the soup. They did not ask you. They just put it on your table. I read some reviews and knew ahead that I would be charged for it, but I thought I might be charged for it anyway, so I tried it. It was dry and did not taste good at all. Next time I would say NO when I see it coming!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter