Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
I know people who are staying at a resort get frustrated when they can't find parking due to all the day visitors i.e. people going to restaurants, just looking around etc. People at BW have complained about this. It seems this policy will not effect the day people since the fee applies to overnight guests. Just a question: I thought they wanted to stop people who park at a resort, eat a meal, then go to the park. They get to park for free. I know they have a three hour limit for day guests, but is this enforced?

It's really only enforced during like Memorial Day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Years week

After enjoying everyone's feed back I must say that I feel sorry for those that drive and if your going to spend hours in a car your probably not going for a couple days and so the cost will be in the hundreds for you. If I was in that boat and I wanted to go I would probably rent a house and save money. I would lose out on the extra 30 days of FP+ and I would lose out on Extra Magic Hours but the cost probably wouldn't make it worth the change.

For me though I am on the west coast and you couldn't pay me enough to drive there so for me it means I won't be renting a car but I can say that if less people stay at the resorts that means less people with extra magic hours and less people there makes me want to stay on property as an out of state visitor. It will suck to be at the mercy of Disney Transportation for sure because I hate having my time in someone else's hands but I will roll with it. They are in the process of adding more rooms and more hotels and honestly for me if they place continues to get anymore crowded and to the point there is no way to even get on rides to enjoy then that will be the time that I am completely out for good.

ME being FREE should be incentive enough to take it over renting a car.

I don't think an extra $20/night is going to change the mind's of people who are renting cars and driving to WDW.

Not everyone flies. There are tons of people on the east coast that drive.

If Disney gave me a parking lot to park in and I could take ME to my resort . that's fine .. I don't use my car (or leave) when staying at a Disney resort. So why charge people who live in Florida, Georgia, SC, NC, Tennessee, Virginia (and northward) more to stay there? There are no other non-car options to get there. The resorts already have huge parking lots that accommodate the hotels, so it is not a supply/demand thing.

Parking lots are required by law and once built have minimal maintenance. If true, Disney has decided to make it a cash cow and charge folks who are arriving by car, at no cost to Disney. Magical Express costs Disney LOTS ... LOTS .... on a daily basis, that is likely going to be the next cash generator as it was expected to be years ago. Of course the fee is likely to be not more than a couple days of parking so still a "value" .... for one person. A family is likely to feel the same crunch as parking fees ........ IF it happens as well.

$20 a night to park will certainly change my mind and am sure plenty of others. If I'm going to pay that much to park, then I'm going to stay at a resort where the room is worth the price tag. I can stay at Doubletree Suites with parking fee in DS for less than POP; get a two room suite with bedroom and living/dining room that is decorated nice, interior hallways, attentive staff, get continental breakfast included, get a fridge, microwave, table and chairs that don't disappear when I pull down a bed, get two tvs, can walk to DS, get a shuttle to the parks, get 60 day FP+ and EMH - oh and hotel points.

What possible draw does POP have ... if I am driving in?

Last edited:
ME being FREE should be incentive enough to take it over renting a car. I don't think an extra $20/night is going to change the mind's of people who are renting cars and driving to WDW.

Actually there's already ppl on this thread who yes have said this fee has changed their minds about staying on site. A friend of mine planned to stay on site, will no longer be doing so.

If I have a problem with something that Disney does, I write them.

I normally receive a phone call from a Cast Member in answer to my letter.

Once, I received fast passes for our next trip.
Many people just complain on social media and never really tell the company. The more people that have the same dislike and tell the company, the more voices are truly heard.

Disney On-Site resorts are priced higher than their counterparts off-site, Most people that move off-site upgrade their lodging choice as the price remains the same. The parking was a huge perk $20 per day if that goes away I find very little reason to stay on-site, the bus transportation have become a joke the resorts are lacking in housekeeping and amenities, and price is well above their category.

Do people just complain on social media or do they actually write Disney like you would a Senator?

I've wrote disney in the past, beyond getting a gift card I don't think it really matters though. The people you talk to (they'll call you) really don't have the power to do anything beyond comp you. I dont feel comfortable calling to just get comped. I don't want to be a complainer just to "get something."

Yup, I understand that completely, we have a good economy now and it parks are doing gang busters. I understand my revenue won't be missed by disney.

My wife and i just had the discussion this morning, our plan for this year was to purchase APs for the family to use for a weeklong trip this year and a weeklong trip for next year onsite, and to do a few weekend trips offsite during the year.

If this is implemented, both week long trips that will be used with these APs will now be moved offsite. It’s not so much the money, it’s the principle of the fact. Ive already done the math, I can save some money at a different place, maybe even find more space and enjoy my vacation.

We’ve always persuaded people to stay onsite when they ask us about planning a Disney vacation, we won’t be doing that anymore.

This will be the straw that breaks the camel’s back for us, at least for staying onsite.

Yeah, I fully agree my view is probably tainted already as we have already been pushed offsite - largely because we have 3 kids so our options for onsite are limited to very pricy options that are much more expensive than a 2 or 3 bedroom condo we can rent off site ... so to me, this is just further cementing that view and keeping us off site

We live in VA - even if they added $20-35 a night to park it still would be cheaper then flying for my family of five 99% of the time. I wouldn't like paying it but I'd get over it because we'd probably still drive it. We save money on food by stocking up on groceries offsite a few times and also drive to most parks still with a preschooler. The budget would have to be tweaked.

One way to get their attention is to have everyone start writing to them about this change. If no one says anything & it's just grumblings on a message board, then nothing will be done. However if you enough voice their concerns and voice them repeatedly, then that can make an impact.

The article said DVC Owners would be free as a ‘Member Perk’
DVC owners staying on points:

“Disney Vacation Club guests staying using their points would not have to pay for parking as part of a new membership perk.”

https://wdwnt.com/2018/03/breaking-...charging-resort-guests-for-overnight-parking/

ETA: Disney official info now: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/

Disney Vacation Club Members
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Last edited:
It’s in a suburb. If you go to suburbs of major cities, the hotels do not charge for parking.

You’ve completely and totally missed my point that hotels in the middle of huge cities charge for parking because space is an issue. It’s not an issue at Disney, regardless of the semantics of if it’s metropolitan or not or whatever.

It’s a resort area, the largest resort area in America. Not suburbia. The reason for the parking fee is not about space. It’s about keeping guests onsite and making money.

BTW, it’s not only hotels “in the middle of huge cities” that charge for parking. We have stayed at several resorts and hotels across America that have parking fees. And there was plenty of space. This is not uncommon.

We live in VA - even if they added $20-35 a night to park it still would be cheaper then flying for my family of five 99% of the time. I wouldn't like paying it but I'd get over it because we'd probably still drive it. We save money on food by stocking up on groceries offsite a few times and also drive to most parks still with a preschooler. The budget would have to be tweaked.

And I bet this is how the vast majority of people would act - they wouldn't like it but they would do it and readjust the budget as needed. It's just another factor in the "cons" list when listing out a pros and cons or when deciding how often (or for how long) to visit WDW. I think for most who love WDW (or Disney in general) it would take a lot to get them to never come back, but all these price increases make that that now you stay off site or now you cut back on the number of table service meals or you only go every other year instead of every year or for 5 nights instead of 7 or whatever

The only way they will listen and change anything is if it begins to cost them. Its very easy to throw some fast passes and gift cards your way to stop you from complaining and give you a sense of accomplishment but if people truly do cancel and they start sitting with a bunch of empty rooms then you will start seeing free dining and free parking promotions.

I've wrote disney in the past, beyond getting a gift card I don't think it really matters though. The people you talk to (they'll call you) really don't have the power to do anything beyond comp you. I dont feel comfortable calling to just get comped. I don't want to be a complainer just to "get something."

If it means having my parking fees waived this summer for a trip I've already booked, I don't mind being the complainer.

It’s a resort area, the largest resort area in America. Not suburbia. The reason for the parking fee is not about space. It’s about keeping guests onsite and making money.

BTW, it’s not only hotels “in the middle of huge cities” that charge for parking. We have stayed at several resorts and hotels across America that have parking fees. And there was plenty of space. This is not uncommon.

How would adding a parking fee keep guests onsite?

If anything, adding a fee on top of an already overpriced room will drive folks offsite where they can get more value for their money. The people who are affected HAVE CARS and therefore are not constrained by ME or Disney shuttle buses.

How would adding a parking fee keep guests onsite?

If anything, adding a fee on top of an already overpriced room will drive folks offsite where they can get more value for their money. The people who are affected HAVE CARS and therefore are not constrained by ME or Disney shuttle buses.

Yep. This is me exactly. I already have an on-site stay booked this fall and will likely keep it, but will definitely be looking at offsite options in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter