Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
Sister and I are going in Oct. We got 7 days tickets but doing a splits stay. 2 nights at AKL, and 3 nights at Poly, with a 3 day cruise in between. Disney cost with 7 day park hopper and rooms is $2500 so for a family of 4 with food and spending money that seems about right to me.

You are spending $2500 total for 2 nights, at AKL, 3 nights at Poly, 7 day hoppers and a cruise??? How???

You are spending $2500 total for 2 nights, at AKL, 3 nights at Poly, 7 day hoppers and a cruise??? How???

That doesn't include the cruise. It is just the 7 day park hopper tickets and hotel. That is Savanna View also at AKL.

I guess we are lucky. We could never afford that. As Florida residents, living 200 miles south of WDW, we go several times a year. We drive up and stay usually at POP Century. Most of my FL resident co-workers also make several trips a year, driving there and stay on property.

I can absolutely see where these parking fees will have a noticeable impact on those types of trips. That's why I wasn't including FL residents/AP holders in my broad sweeping statement. But I do have to wonder, how much do all of those trips add up to? I often see people say they have AP's, live an hour or two away and stay on property for 4-day weekends several times a year. I'm guessing for a family of 4, if everything is added up (tickets, room, food, etc), some of those people are spending a few thousand dollars a year on those "quick trips". We don't have that freedom (right now, at least) so we have to do a week-long trip every two years...which might actually be cheaper than multiple "short" trips over the same time period. :D I'd love to live close enough to go frequently throughout the year. DH & I hope to spend winters in FL once he retires. That's when we'll finally be able to make multiple trips in a year. :)

Family of 4, value resort planned for august, assuming we'll get some level of discount.

I've budgeted for right at $5k for this trip, that's a week long stay and it includes tickets, food, hotel, and some spending money.

I don't know how off i am compared to other people.

I think you can do trips to Disney cheaper, especially if willing to stay off property - we will be a party of 9, but staying off site using timeshare points and driving down. Also able to get military salute tickets which helps too

... but a family of 4 with basically no deals or anything that wants to stay onsite, I think pretty tough to get through the week for a ton less than $5k

That doesn't include the cruise. It is just the 7 day park hopper tickets and hotel. That is Savanna View also at AKL.

just you and your sister right? So like $1,000 for the tickets and but still, $300/night staying at deluxe locations isn't bad at all

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. I believe the majority of people *are* paying close to $8000 and far more for their stays. Have you read through any of the "How much is your trip costing you?" threads? Or go to the Disney site and start pricing vacations at various resorts with dining plans (which soooo many first time visitors think is essential to their trip). If you're a family of four staying anywhere but at Value resort (and possibly some Moderate rooms), you're going to spend over $6,000 on your trip (including travel, food, room, and tickets). I'm not talking about locals with AP's who spend a few nights on property or DVC members. I'm talking "average" cash-paying visitors who are staying for a week.

We're a family of 5 or 6 (depending on how many kids -- all teens and adults -- are traveling with us). We drive to Disney. We stay at a Value Resort (either in a suite at AoA or 2 rooms at Pop). We don't do the dining plan (OOP is cheaper for us even though we still eat what we want, when we want it, and buy all drinks and snacks in the parks). We do one or two table service meals while we're there (they just don't appeal to us -- the kids are past the Character stage and we have far better restaurants at home). While $8,000 is a lot of money (even for us), it's about the least we can spend to stay on property -- which is where we prefer to be.

A family of 4 (which is 2 or 3 people less than us) staying in a standard room at almost any Deluxe resort is going to spend that much money on the room, tickets, and food. If they're eating a lot of table service meals, they'll be over that amount. If they get the DDP or DxDDP they'll be *way* over that amount. If they're in a villa or other "special" room, they're going to spend even more. A family of 4 at many Moderate resorts will be in the $6-8000 range again with just the basics of a room, tickets and QSDP. A family of 4 at a Value resort will usually spend less. While many families spend less than $4000 on a Disney vacation, there are way more who spend closer to the $8-10,000+ range simply because of their lodging choices, Dining plans/TS meals, travel costs, or the size of their family. It's a pretty safe bet to say that nearly every family in a Deluxe resort is spending $8000+ on their trip. (I'm not including those in DVC who will say it's only costing them their $500(?) maintenance fee for the room completely ignoring the $20K + interest they've paid for their points to begin with.)

We save up for about 2 years to go to Disney. We plan our trip when we have all of the money saved up for the trip we want -- if it takes more than 2 years to save it up, so be it. I'd venture to guess that anyone spending more than $5-6000 on their Disney vacations isn't really going to be swayed by this extra cost. I'm not saying they're going to like it, but it's not really going to be a deal-breaker. I know a lot of people are upset about these parking fees (me included), but realistically, most of the people saying they're not going to stay on property because of it are just having a knee-jerk reaction and will probably still stay on property (not saying everyone will but many will). And even if those people don't stay on property, Disney doesn't seem to have a problem filling rooms to their desired capacity levels. As others have mentioned, Disney's "bread and butter" are those families coming for their once (or twice) in a lifetime trip. After next week, the vast majority of newbies planning trips won't even know that the parking fee wasn't always there. There will be a backlash from returning customers for a few weeks and then it will pass.

Might be right now that I am adding numbers in my head. For me and one other person it has cost $3150 so far. That is flights,hotel,and park tickets for a week. Damn even I didn't realize how much we spend in the end. Add another thousand to that for food lol.

I retract my previous statement

I'd say you're in the ballpark. When our kids were younger (actually "kids"), we used $1200/person for a general budget amount. Now that they're older, we budget more like $1500/person just to be safe.

Is that including airfare? Maybe I spend less than the average person when I go, therefore I guess they really won't care if I don't stay onsite LOL. Last year we stayed BC but had a deal for a cheap room rate and discount tickets. That trip I probably spend around 6k for everything, that includes airfare for 5 people and everything else. Excluding airfare, Disney probably only got 4.5k or so? But that was my splurge trip. I just assumed that many people took advantage of the package deals that Disney advertised but I guess when factoring in Deluxe and Moderates it makes sense that maybe the average is closer to 8k. This year with onsite stay at Pop the whole trip is budgeted at below 4k with airfare. I only have to buy 3 tickets and one is a child ticket. DS is only 2 (but will turn 3 a few days after we leave which is why I schedule the trip for late July)

This fall I am planning my longest WDW trip yet - 6 nights.

Luckily it is booked and I don't have to worry about the additional $156 (for two cars). The rooms (All Star Music) (because I am going over Veterans Day ) aren't what I consider cheap on average (compared to a "normal" hotel of similar size/shape), but I want the kids to have fun seeing the giant character statues and I want to be in the Disney bubble again.

IF I had to pay the parking fee, that would increase my total hotel cost by about 9-10%. That is significant. We love it when Disney offers a 10-20% DISCOUNT on rooms. Why wouldn't we be upset when prices increase that much overnight?

I already have tickets, but I was actually going to save them for a later date and get an AP for the first time so we could go now . .and again in October of 2019 for my daughter's 3rd birthday.

But, At this point .. based on how aggressively Disney is raising prices EVERY year, I don't know if I want to go on two big trips in 11 months like I was planning anymore. Disney's actions have just put a bad taste in my mouth about the parks. Maybe the trip will wipe all that away. or Maybe I put the brakes on and just go in 2021 or beyond when everything new is finished.

Might be right now that I am adding numbers in my head. For me and one other person it has cost $3150 so far. That is flights,hotel,and park tickets for a week. Damn even I didn't realize how much we spend in the end. Add another thousand to that for food lol.

I can't recall if you're onsite or off, and I know you aren't fond of the marginal cost way of thinking (if I'm remembering your posts correctly!), but the max parking rate for a week would add 4% to your total cost so far. I'm assuming that Disney is banking on most people not canceling or choosing not to return due to that type of increase.

ETA: And I totally get the idea that this is not the ONLY increase and that these things are cumulative. They have to just be banking on replacing those guests who do drop out with others who will pay same or more. I'd suspect they're right... so far... and certainly once SWGE opens.

:) Yep, $4,000 for two people...now add a few kids... It adds up quickly. I'll venture to guess that a lot of people don't realize how much they're really spending on a Disney vacation. The only reason I know is because my husband is constantly asking "how much is this going to cost me??" He's not so concerned with what the amount actually is, he just wants to know. So I keep detailed notes. And I look forward to the day that it's just the 2 of us going and our costs are a little lower. :)

This fall I am planning my longest WDW trip yet - 6 nights.

Luckily it is booked and I don't have to worry about the additional $156 (for two cars). The rooms (All Star Music) (because I am going over Veterans Day ) aren't what I consider cheap on average (compared to a "normal" hotel of similar size/shape), but I want the kids to have fun seeing the giant character statues and I want to be in the Disney bubble again.

IF I had to pay the parking fee, that would increase my total hotel cost by about 9-10%. That is significant. We love it when Disney offers a 10-20% DISCOUNT on rooms. Why wouldn't we be upset when prices increase that much overnight?

I already have tickets, but I was actually going to save them for a later date and get an AP for the first time so we could go now . .and again in October of 2019 for my daughter's 3rd birthday.

But, At this point .. based on how aggressively Disney is raising prices EVERY year, I don't know if I want to go on two big trips in 11 months like I was planning anymore. Disney's actions have just put a bad taste in my mouth about the parks. Maybe the trip will wipe all that away. or Maybe I put the brakes on and just go in 2021 or beyond when everything new is finished.

If you get the AP you could (for yous subsequent trip(s)) stay off site and you would get free parking at the parks using your AP

Just adding my 'vent' here...I'm not even planning on driving on my next trip and I really am thinking about cancelling. I'm going to give it a couple days and think about it, but this just irks me to no end.

Maybe for some people parking isn't a big deal to add on to an already expensive on-site vacation, and trust me I am fully aware Disney is out to make money. But I never really believed resort parking was free! The room rates are well above market price and yes, it is for Disney magic but I always assumed it was also to include amenities like 'free' parking and wi-fi and no resort fees. But keep the room at $500 a night for a 'deluxe resort' that is only deluxe because of Disney magic theming and location, not true luxury, and then add $34 a night for parking!

And then to charge parking to overnight guests but not guests daily parking? It seems it should be opposite. If I'm paying to stay onsite I have to pay to park but someone not paying to stay at the resort who wants to come and enjoy dinner or events at the resort gets to park for free and take prime parking spots from paying resort guests? Hopefully paying guests get a separate, closer lot than day guests!

The room rates are well above market price and yes, it is for Disney magic but I always assumed it was also to include amenities like 'free' parking and wi-fi and no resort fees.
If this were true, they would sit empty, by definition. I think they have pretty decent vacancy rates these days.

So...
to sum up some obvious recent "fund-raising opportunities"... (there ya go @MickeyMinnieMom:rolleyes:)

- allowing dogs in the room
- increasing cost of dining while implementing new mobile ordering
- increasing ticket and AP prices
- decreasing staff (parks and pools)
- cutting park hours while increasing hard ticket events (Star Wars Galactic Nights, MNSSHP as early as August, MVMCP, Disney After Hours, etc.)
- allowing Club Level to pay for extra Fast Passes
- allowing alcohol in the parks
- extending Epcot's Food and Wine Festival
- introducing the Minnie Van and Express Bus
- little cost cuts such as individual toiletries to large shareable bottles
- and now having resort guests pay for parking

Here are some not-so obvious...

- by not charging resort guests for theme-park parking- encourages the resort guest to use their own transportation or PAID Disney transportation (Minnie Van/ Express Bus)
- by allowing Disney Springs resort guests EMH, FP and ADR early booking privileges- guarantees non-disney-resort guests in the parks and eating at disney restaurants, shopping in their stores
- by allowing Disney Springs/ Good Neighbor resort guests EMH, FP and ADR early booking privileges- think about how many "new resorts/hotels" Disney has just added into their inventory without having to build, maintain or staff anything at all.
- by not charging the "resort day guest" parking invites others to dine and shop without having to spend "extra" AND eliminates more crowding on free Disney transportation. Don't have anything to spend while you are a "day guest at our resort"? Well then, we ARE going to have to charge you for parking today.

Some things that I have thought about are...
- What exactly does my $500 per night rack room rate (Deluxe) pay for?
- What relationships has Disney formed with the airlines? (I bet many people will continue to come, but after the cost of gas and now parking fees and free Magical Express, it may be more cost worthy to just fly.)

And here's my take away...
I feel cheated and it's upsetting...
That dang Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, Toy Story Land, Gondola System, Tron Coaster, and Star Wars Resort better be worth it!!!

Last edited:
So...
to sum up some obvious recent "cash grabs"...

- allowing dogs in the room
- increasing cost of dining while implementing new mobile ordering
- increasing ticket and AP prices
- decreasing staff (parks and pools)
- cutting park hours while increasing hard ticket events (Star Wars Galactic Nights, MNSSHP as early as August, MVMCP, Disney After Hours, etc.)
- allowing Club Level to pay for extra Fast Passes
- allowing alcohol in the parks
- extending Epcot's Food and Wine Festival
- introducing the Minnie Van and Express Bus
- little cost cuts such as individual toiletries to large shareable bottles
- and now having resort guests pay for parking

Here are some not-so obvious...

- by not charging resort guests for theme-park parking- encourages the resort guest to use their own transportation or PAID Disney transportation (Minnie Van/ Express Bus)
- by allowing Disney Springs resort guests EMH, FP and ADR early booking privileges- guarantees non-disney-resort guests in the parks and eating at disney restaurants, shopping in their stores
- by allowing Disney Springs/ Good Neighbor resort guests EMH, FP and ADR early booking privileges- think about how many "new resorts/hotels" Disney has just added into their inventory without having to build, maintain or staff anything at all.
- by not charging the "resort day guest" parking invites others to dine and shop without having to spend "extra" AND eliminates more crowding on free Disney transportation. Don't have anything to spend while you are a "day guest at our resort"? Well then, we ARE going to have to charge you for parking today.

Some things that I have thought about are...
- What exactly does my $500 per night rack room rate (Deluxe) pay for?
- What relationships has Disney formed with the airlines? (I bet many people will continue to come, but after the cost of gas and now parking fees and free Magical Express, it may be more cost worthy to just fly.)

And here's my take away...
I feel cheated and it's upsetting...
That dang Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, Toy Story Land, Gondola System, Tron Coaster, and Star Wars Resort better be worth it!!!
I disagree with calling most of these "cash grabs". Incidentally, I think I'm adding that phrase to my personal "banned phrases" list. ;)

Does anyone know if this applies at Ft Wilderness? I know the campsites are exempt, but what about the cabins? Seems like they should be too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter