Our journey - DH has Pancreatic Cancer

I'm so sorry that your family is dealing with this terrible cancer. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug:

Amy I am very sorry to hear what you and Mike are going through. Both of you are in my thoughts and prayers. It's going to be a rough road, but take care of yourself, keep up your strength so you are able to take care of your dh :love: Your love for him will keep him strong.

Sometimes we question our faith in God, but don't ever doubt Him or lose your faith. He is always with us. God gives us a cross to bear, for he knows how much we can handle. This is when we show Him that we believe in Him and trust Him.

Take care of yourself, and be strong. Once again you are both in my prayers and thoughts. :grouphug:

Carol G

Last Monday was the last of the chemo & radiation treatments. Mike was pretty sick most of the week but Friday he was feeling a little better. Yesterday was a really good day for him and he was able to help out a little with the laundry. We also got outside for a bit and I think that helped as well.

We found out last week that he was also approved for LTD so another weight was lifted. Now the only worry work-wise is if they will keep him on as an employee so we can keep our benefits.

:hug: from a fellow cancer survivor. I see in your signature you have young children. That takes it to another level emotionally. (Mine were just 5 years old when I was diagnosed.) You and your husband and family are in my prayers.

I'm happy to hear that you were able to enjoy some time out and about.

I'll be praying that his employer does the right thing and keeps him on the payroll. :grouphug:

Thinking of you and your family. I hope you are all doing well this week.

Thinking of you all. I am getting sick of all this hospital stuff right now too. I need a break. I think I can eat some regular food for a week or so so that will be good. Hang in there11 Blessings and prayers always

Our break is coming to an end. It was so nice to not have to think about the cancer for a month and act like everything was normal. Now we have to go back to our "normal".

Tomorrow is Mike's scan and visits with the Oncologist and Radiation Oncologist. I know he is getting very worried and is having a hard time sleeping. I just pray we do not get bad news tomorrow as we have had enough of that!

We found out someone that Mike has known for years, and who has custody of his granddaughter that is in my daycare, passed away yesterday. They discovered he had liver cancer a little over a month ago and it apparently was worse than they told us. We are both heartbroken about it and I know it really hit Mike hard.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers today. I hope all goes well. I am sorry to hear about your friend.

Things went pretty well yesterday. Mike's scan went just fine but the official report was not ready by the time Mike saw his Oncologist. But the slides were online for her to look at so was able to view them before she talked to us.

From what she can tell, the tumor is a little smaller and there is no signs that it has spread. Both really good news! She is concerned that he is having more discomfort and wants to have a scope done to make sure he does not have an ulcer. At the same time they will also do a Celiac block (nerve block).

They have a plan for chemo, but need to get approval from Ins first. Grrrr, more red tape. But the plan will be he will take Xeloda, an oral chemo pill. It will be taken for 2 weeks on 1 week off and can be taken at home. The other chemo drug is Eloxatin. It is an IV infusion that will be only one time every three weeks. So it won't be as many trips to Indy which will be nice.

The down side to all of this is that most of the chemo drugs left to take will probably not shrink the tumor but will keep it stable. I guess keeping it stable and keeping it from spreading is a much better option, but I am praying that Mike will be that rare person that will see shrinkage from the drugs.

He asked me last night if this means he will not make it back to work for a while. I know that chances are slim that he will ever go back to work but I cannot tell him that just yet. All I told him was that they will need to see how he does on this new treatment and go from there. I reminded him that there was no way he could go back to work the way he is now and needs to get his strength back. He agreed and didn't say anymore about it.

So now we have to wait to hear what Ins will approve and if all goes well he will start the new treatment on Monday.

:hug: Amy, continued prayers for Mike, you and the kids. I sm glad things went pretty well yest. Its always good to hear positive newsI

I wish my rad. onc. would be positive. She never is. Sigh, sigh.

One day at a time. Keep hanging in there!!!

Blessings to you all always.

We got hit with bad news on Thursday. Mike's nurse emailed me saying that Insurance is not approving the regiment the dr wants him to be on and they are appealing it. :guilty::headache::sad2: They approved the Chemo pill but not the IV. She did not give a reason, but my gut feeling it is because it is used for Colon Cancer and the insurance looks at it like it is "experimental" for PC. The nurse told us not to start the Xeldoa until she has had a chance to talk to the dr today and see if she wants to go ahead with it while the appeal is in process or go a different route.

I really hate this. I am glad they have a full time staff member that only deals with the Insurance Companies and she can fight this for us. But Mike is a nervous wreck and it is making him sick.

Amy, continued prayers for you and Mike and that this ins. situation will get resolved. :hug:

Amy, Keep fighting and going after these insurance companies who are ever so willing to take our monthly payments for said insurance but yet can deny at will treatments that may save our guys...

Hugs to you.. I am here for you..

We have some ups and downs this last week.

Still no word on the appeal. I hate the insurance bull crap!

We thought Mike's stone was acting it up, but it is sitting high and dry so it is not what is causing the pain. The Urologist said he saw some fluid around the bladder and since Mike was getting ready to have a scope and pain block he didn't go any further. He knew that with the scope they would be able to tell what it is.

He had the scope and pain block on Monday. The GI dr was wonderful and put us both at ease. The only thing I had an issue with was he did not personally tell me - and only put it in the report - that there was ascites (fluid) in the peritoneal cavity. According to him it is a moderate amount and after doing some reading Mike might be able to be on diuretics to ease it. Of course I am still waiting on the Oncologist's office to call back to see if they want to see Mike and how they want to treat it. Last night he spiked a fever so I had to call the GI on call. They said if the fever was the only symptom to treat it with Tylenol and call or come in if any other symptoms show up. He called back an hour or so later to ask if Mike was given antibiotics, which he wasn't, so he called in a few days worth of Augmentin for him. I picked that up late last night and got him on it right away. His fever did break in the middle of the night so that was good.

So now we do more waiting. I HATE waiting. He is so uncomfortable from the fluid and is not eating much. I am trying hard to keep fluids in him and some kind of food in him.

:hug: Amy, continued prayers for Mike and you. You are doing an excellent caregiver job.

I pray the ins. stuff gets straighted out. I had to appeal one of my biopsys after we got the nice 3,000 plus bill. They finally straightened it out.

I hope Mikes appetite improves. I had a 2nd shot yest. and am so nauseus too and a stomach ache. I really had the force the food down last night too. I feel for your dh.

Hang in there!

Mike was admitted to the hospital last night. He had been having more pains since the pain block so he called and talked to his nurse. She talked the oncologist and she wanted Mike to come to the ER in Indy. Once we got here last night, they took Mike in for another CT Scan. There was a couple of different issues going on and it seems like each dr has a different opinion on what they are. Ugh!

The one thing for sure was that Mike was having the fluid building up. They took him in to the ultrasound dept to drain the fluid then send it off to the lab for testing. They are seeing if it is an infection or from the tumor. I am praying it is infection because I do not want to go there with the cancer.

All 3 drs (ER, Oncologist, GI) all agree there is something going on with the stomach. ER and Oncologist are thinking there might be a blockage. The ER dr said that going by the report from the scan, the tumor has a +/- on the size, Oncologist says smaller. The GI dr is saying that it looks like the tumor is wrapped around the bowel. Those are big differences! So the GI is consulting with the Sr GI, who happened to do Mike's biopsy, and they will look over the scan and come back to talk to us. Whatever they decide at this point will be taken care of tomorrow, I'm sure. It is later in the afternoon and I cannot imagine they will do too much more today.

I hate all this waiting. I wish they would just do test after test and get it out of the way. I plan on going hom tonight, since I stayed here with Mike last night. I want the kids to be in their beds and I need to clean up a little. Once I get Erin to school then I will head back over. I have already called my daycare families to let them know what is going on and they are all very concerned.

Amy: I just found this thread today. I have said a prayer and will continue to pray for you.

We fought this battle with pancreatic cancer in 2004 with my brother. I will keep all of your family in my prayers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter