• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Organize Your Space Challenge - Week 4 Remaining Embellishments, Tools, Albums

Do you think I can convince my family that we don't actually NEED a dining room? That we can just picnic on the livingroom floor?
:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: I've been working on that one, but now we've had the living room floor relaid and new carpet DH won't let anyone eat anything in there:rotfl2:

Day 22 - Pens & Pencils

I don't know about you, but most of the "heavy lifting" in my room is done. So how are things looking? My biggest problem is I need another shelf, so I have some sorted and organized stuff that is sitting on the floor, under the table. I would prefer it wouldn't be there. I also am basically down to one plastic shoebox full of stuff that I need to make decisions on where it goes. The good thing is I have one empty 12 x 12 drawer, so I could just decide to make that a misc drawer, and throw the bits in there.

Somewhat of an easy day today. Gather up all the pens and pencils, make sure they still work, that they are in the right room (all my ballpoint pens end up in the same spot, so I redistributed them through the house), and put them where you want them.

I have a drawer for my rulers, and pen and pencil sets...

pendrawer.jpg

And a coffee cup for everything loose...

pencup.jpg

A year or so ago my SIL gave me the MM white carousel thing and it is wonderful!!! I absolutely love it. All my pens, pencils, scissors, adhesives, rulers, etc. are in their spots in this thing. I have it sitting next to my table and I just spin it around to pull out what it is I need. It's also great if I need to move to a different room to work. Like my MIL was here over the weekend and she was using my scrap room as her bedroom. I just took my whole carousel to the dining room table so that I wasn't constantly up and down getting what I needed to use.

All my pens are put away in a small drawer on my desk. I also need another shelf and we have one that is holding some things in the garage that are supposed to go in the entertainment center in our bedroom. I am hoping DH can move the stuff off the shelf soon as i know have made room for it in my scrap area. He just needs to put away his clothes.

Rebecca

My glaze, water pencils & extra Zig pens are in one drawer. The pens & pencils I use a lot are in two altered quart cans. The scissors & other small tools are in a pencil holder. I've been pretty good about putting things back where they belong.

Day 23 - Books & Magazines

This is another day where I won't be much help, and I think others will need it. So if you have a good solution, post. I've never had a subscription to a scrapping or stamping magazine. I have bought some magazines, but primarily at a used book store when we lived in Phoenix. Before we moved, I sold most of them back. I have about a half dozen magazines, and 2 Becky Higgins books, a photo taking book, and the Disney Sandylion idea book. They take up less than a foot of one of my shelves.

The only advice I can give, is when was the last time you actually looked in the magazine, and when was the last time so actually scrapped an idea from the magazine? IMO, most of the magazine layouts were impractical for me. I would never have the right supplies, or there was too much going on for one photo, so it was easy for me to toss. Especially, when I was getting money for trade-in to buy other stuff.

Had 5 - 6 years worth of all 4 American titles! I went through every one of them last summer, pulled out what I could use, saved the issues that bristled with sticky notes and am down to a 3 ring binder of clippings, and one magazine box about 5 inches wide. I cruise through them now and then, when I need inspiration or a technique refresher.

I'm not as organized as I would like on this, but I do have a system. I keep a full year's worth of magazines on the shelf. Gradually I weed out the older ones by reading through them one more time. I tear out anything of interest and toss the rest of the magazine. From what I've torn out, I sort it by topic - journalling, layout to copy, techniques, sketches, etc. Someday those loose pages will make it into a binder, but for right now they're just in a pile on the bookshelf.

Day 24 - Saved articles & Sketches

Did you get through cleaning up the old magazines? Maybe you tore out some articles and sketches to keep? I don't really have articles, but I do have pages of sketches that I have printed off the internet. I have put them in page protectors, and in a small binder.

What I need to do, is figure out what to do with all the sketches I've made for my projects. I know what I want to do. I have some Disney photo albums, the type with one photo per page. I want to put them in that, but when we moved up here, I kept a lot of stuff boxed up, and these photo albums are part of that. So for now, my sketches are in one drawer of my 7 drawer Iris tower, awaiting transfer. I should at least go through and make sure they are labeled.

This is another day I don't have much to do. When I get my new shelf system in (hopefully before Sunday afternoon- we are having a large party) I will pull some items our of my cubes and put all of my books/magazines/and saved papers into that cube spot.

Rebecca

No sketches. Only a few magazines & books and they are all stacked on one side of a small cabinet. I throw the magazines away after I figure out I don't go back to them for ideas. I never thought to take them to the 1/2 price book place. I'll do that next time. :thumbsup2

I am way behind...I finished sorting my patterned paper. So what do you do when you have a ton of one or two catergories 1 is disney, I have a spot for that, but my other is blue pattern paper. I had WAY more than I thought. I am going to try to redo my shelves for an empty for the blue.

Ok...I'm a few days behind, but I'm still working on my new space. Really, it is coming along. I can't wait to get a bed in my old space... :)

So, this weekend it was paper scraps. I had my scraps in drawers under my desk in the old space, but I had more scraps than drawers, so I needed a new solution in the new space. I got those fabric boxes (the ones that Target sells for $5?) in each color that I had scraps...red, pink, yellow (I couldn't find orange!! so they are in with yellow), green, blue, purple, brown and white/black/grey (zebra). Once I get my new cabinet up, and these put away, I'll take a picture. The funny thing is...I remembered so many of the swaps that the scraps came from. :)

No harm in being behind. I didn't post updates this weekend. No reason, I just didn't feel like it! :rotfl2: See, this really is a low stress challenge. Work at your own pace, just try to keep working.

Day 25: Rub-Ons

I think I have used one Rub-on...a Tinker Bell on a paint can. It's not that I don't like them, but they aren't what I think of when I work on swap items, and since primarily that's what I do... I do have a few, that I purchased on clearance or got in a Surprise swap. Before this challenge they were in probably 5 different places, which is impressive since there are probably only about a dozen packages total. So not enough to need to sort them into themes or anything. Just one photo box with lots of empty room. That was a goal for me, throughout the challenge. Try to find a storage solution with a little room to expand.

rubons.jpg

I don't have many rub-ons. I have them sorted into my sticker boxes with the stickers.

I keep my rub-ons with my stickers unless they are all words then I keep them in the drawer with my alphabets and words that are stickers, chipboard, whatever.

Rebecca

Just wanted to add a little trick that I read somewhere for putting away rub-ons which have been cut-up: staple the back sheet to the rub-on before storing it. Works great and keeps them from being scratched.

Thanks for all the storage solutions, my scrap room is getting neater every day!

Back to magazines, I go through them and tear out any layouts that I like and think I could use for my own stuff. Then, I toss the magazine and I have a notebook with the layouts in it. I go through it every once in awhile, but not enough.

On rub-ons, I have a few of those, mainly alphabets. I store them with stickers of the same theme.

Another unintended day off/catch up day, yesterday...I am going to try and get back in the habit of posting the next day the night before...

Day 26: Chipboard

I mostly have alphabets and I just got some Mickey & Tinker Bell Chipboard pieces while I was in FL. I put the smaller pieces in jewelry bags to keep them together.

IMG_3962.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter