Organize Your Space Challenge - Week 4 Remaining Embellishments, Tools, Albums

I have a question for all of you organized ladies....how do you store your 12x12 books? I got the new desk into the room last weekend, but it didn't fit the way we wanted so now it juts into the room (instead of being in a corner with side and front on a wall as planned). Looks like an office if you don't look at the piles of stuff behind it I had to move :)

I have a large overhead getting put up as soon as DH has help with it - too heavy for me to help with. And an adjacent (hopefully it fits) table to the desk so I will get the white plastic shelf units out but I really have no idea how to store my books to do them justice. I don't mind buying something for them if it makes sense and I can find a place for it but wouldn't know what since they are kind of big (and busting at the seams in some cases).

Thanks again Hope - while I didn't jump in on this day by day it really inspired me to tear apart my room and start working on a nice, usable space.

I am still working on mine- but it is already 100 times better. I'd love to see pictures of your spaces!
My Dh is off this week. He has volunteered to move a few more things for me-and he is painting a shelf to add to the room.
Thanks Hope! And thanks to everyone else for the great ideas
Vicki

I know we are all supposed to be "done," but no worries. Many of us, myself included, are putting the "final" touches on our rooms. I definitely plan on posting a pic of my room soon. I also look forward to others. I will be the first to say that my room will continue to be a work in progress, but it is sooo much more user friendly now. I wish it were prettier, but maybe I can work on that. Congrats to everyone who made a dent in their space.

I have a question for all of you organized ladies....how do you store your 12x12 books?

Maria,
I don't know what a large overhead is, but I am going to use a bookshelf for my completed albums somewhere in the living room so people can actually look at them. I don't have the shelf yet, so it could be something else. Ideally, I would buy my dream coffee table and store my books under it. Someday...

As for my books in progress, I fortunately have a nice shelving unit as part of my desk in my craft room that fits the books well. Good luck!

I got totally derailed with MIL's passing so I will regroup in April, March's calendar is already booked.
I hope to gather new insight and get some fresh ideas for storage. I have come to the conclusion that I need to not sacrifice my space for the good of the family. I'm tired of being diligent about pairing down and storing things when no one else in the house does. I'm reclaiming my space!!!!!

Sorry, bit of a vent there.

I spent some time this weekend trying to work on my room. I can see progress being made. One of my downfalls is "projects in progress." If I can wrap up a few of these, I will get more stuff out of my scrap room and into my living room. I got one book out this weekend! And another is a few pages away from being out. I put pages that just needed journalling where they belong and found a page kit from a class that I forgot I had that will work perfectly for my latest album. :thumbsup2 I'm aiming to be done by the end of March. We'll see how that goes.

Bumping this back up...

March turned into a bit of a waste, didn't it. :rotfl2:

I never did finish the last bit of sorting that I said I was going to, but at least those last items are contained, as opposed to all over the room.

Here are some "after" pics. I only took these yesterday, so you can see I've been doing a good job of maintaining my room. It only took about 20 minutes to put the small swap messes I had, away. They won't look as nice as all the scrap rooms on 2Peas, even organized, apartment living doesn't lend itself to gorgeous scrap spaces. I want shelves attached to the wall so bad! Hopefully, the 2010 Organizational Challenge thread, will contain pictures of my shelves. But I can see the table, and I can walk in the room.

room1.jpg

room2.jpg

room3.jpg

room4.jpg

In the first thread, you will notice I have combined a few things, and made it so the list now fits in one month. For 31 day months, you will have an extra day to be lazy, or for what's left. If you have too much to do per day, you could always do as much as you can, and then hit it again the next month, when that day comes up. Hopefully, as each month goes by, you will have less and less to do, so you will be able to skip some days, and just focus on the couple items that continue to be problematic.

Great job, Hope!

I have still been steadily working on my room, but veered off scrap stuff for awhile. My scrap room has a few things that aren't scrap related in it - all my CDs, some DVDs, books, and a few 'boxes o' junk. I've been purging and reorganizing that stuff lately. I cut my CD and DVD collection down significantly by trading them in on spun.com, and got myself about $100 worth of credit for other DVDs I wanted. I got rid of 2 whole boxes full of stuff I had been saving for years and never looked at - why was I saving a baggie full of random receipts from 2004? :confused3 And a huge manilla folder full of recipes I tore out of magazines - finally time to let them go as clearly I'll never use them. It was insane the stuff I was holding on to. Getting rid of it has been so freeing, and it's cleared up a lot of much needed space for scrap supplies. I'm hoping by mid-April the room is finally done and organized the way I want it.

I need to get back to this- working on it again would be a good thing. I did well until mid February I just stopped when it came to doing more than containing the scraps but at least they are contained if not sorted instead of piled up all of my room and the family room.

Rebecca

Its finally getting warm in the basement, So I will be back in full for April. I will hopefully even get to the boxes that were found during Xmas and get them organized too.

Week 1 Tasks

So here we go again... Your 7 tasks for this week are:

1. Small Bottles: Stickles, Flock, Alcohol Inks
2. Cricut Supplies, Sizzix, Cuttlebug, Quickuts & Other Manual Die Cut Systems
3. Stamps, Chalks, Inks & Embossing Powders/Supplies
4. Collect Paper
5. Adhesives
6. Flowers
7. Sort Paper

I am making serious headway this go around with my stuff. 1,2,3,4,5,6 complete. reworking 7 tomorrow. I have A LOT of paper. I tink we need a step at the end where we remove stuff that does not belong with the scrap stuff. I found a bunch of stuff that is from my DH throwing stuff in my area to get it out of the way.

I have officially taken over the dining room. I removed everything not scrap related in the last 2 days. Moved MIL's antique sewing table in and filled it with Primas. If anyone has empty Got Flowers? jars, let me know!

I just about have DH convinced to take out the dining room furniture and get real scrap furniture in there, however I have no idea where to begin or what I want or need.
I am sorting paper again, this time cardstock is not only being grouped by color but by brand. I really like the new Creative Memories cardstock so I'm keeping that with the CM patterned paper too for easy matching.

One day at a time I guess. I don't want to rush it because I want to get it right.

On to Week 2...Your 7 tasks:

1. Put away - Cardstock
2. Put Away - Patterned Paper
3. Collect Eyelets, Brads, Buttons
4. Holiday Eyelets, Brads & Buttons
5. Disney and other Themed Eyelets, Brads & Buttons
6. Basic Shaped Brads (circles, squares, stars, hearts)
7. Basic Shaped Eyelets (circles, hearts, stars)

I'm done! I'm done! I'm finally done. About 3 months after I started working on it - not bad. My motivation to get it done was to be able to get to the point where I could take photos and show them here, so I took a TON.

I'm not one of those people who needs to have their stuff out to see it - I like there to be a place for everything so I can put it away when I'm done. I also do a lot of scrapbooking outside of the house at crops, so it was important that the storage be portable or adaptable so I don't spend too much time packing and unpacking.

I didn't have to go out and buy any new storage stuff for this challenge - I already had everything. I had a decent underlying organizational structure, I just had too much STUFF! Here are a few of the "before" pictures:
IMG_7123.jpg

IMG_7124.jpg

IMG_7122.jpg

All those boxes and bags in front of the closet are scrapbooking stuff - new purchases, new swaps, projects in progress - just stuff I kept moving from place to place because it didn't have a home.

...And now for the "after"

The main closet:
IMG_8751.jpg

There is some "dead" space in the left and right of the closet beyond the doorjambs, which I can get to, but not easily, so that's where I put things I really hardly ever use (some non-scrap stuff too).

Priority boxes on the top shelf hold swap stuff, sorted by parks, characters, resorts, etc.
I use a lot of the clear plastic shoeboxes for things like ribbon, paints, punches, stamps. The photo boxes hold photos (duh) and small memorabilia like cards, etc.
I found these containers worked well for my primas:
IMG_8773.jpg

Hopefully soon I can clear out the bottom of the closet so I can roll the totes into it, but for now I'm okay with them being just outside of it. I have 2 rolling totes - one holds photos, memorabilia and "stuff" that I have sorted and are awaiting being scrapped - mostly past Disney trips. That stays home.

The 2nd is what I bring to crops and it holds all my Bazzill, in a couple of Cropper Hoppers.
IMG_8776.jpg

The front and side pockets of that tote also hold all my eyelets, brads, gemstones, and other tiny embellishments. I have 2 types of containers for those:
IMG_8795.jpg

The tic-tac type style I got from Oriental trading and the smaller style I got from Jo-Ann's (In the sewing section) - it's actually 2 sided so it holds a ton, and I have a ton of them.

The other bag on top of one of the rolling totes is another bag I bring to crops. That is mostly empty because it varies what I bring, but it always holds my Cat's eye inks, certain adhesives, and most of my pens.

Opposite side of the room:
IMG_8761.jpg

My computer desk on the left, my Cricut cart holding my machine and all cartridges in the middle. Baby bug is stored in the back of the bottom shelf, and Sizzix machine in back of 2nd shelf. Don't need to get to those as often.
To the right is a rolling cart with Iris cases. I am a big fan of the Iris cases. I sort things by theme, so I can keep all my paper and embellishments in one place. Some of these cases include: Travel, Disney, Christmas, Other holidays, Cat. Easy to bring to a crop because I can just pull out a case and everything is right in there.

Desk #1 - the cutting station
IMG_8762.jpg

You can see my extra ziploc bags for swaps on the shelf with my large Xyrons (I don't use the machine). The little blue box is to hold scraps while working to be sorted when I'm done. The case under the desk holds all my old 8.5x11 cardstock. The drawers are a mix of scrap stuff and non scrap stuff. On top of the filing cabinet are more Cropper Hoppers - American Crafts cardstock, DCWV stacks, and Bazzill Blings. The one on the desk is paper that doesn't really fit into any of my other categories, or is waiting to be sorted or put back. I decided leaving myself that "inbox" kind of thing would keep me from having paper all over the place but not put back.

In the corner are my Scrap-O-Nizers - another favorite. They come with a variety of sized compartments so I can fit almost all embellishments in here yet they are still out of the way. And again, very portable.
A few examples - these hold skittles, buttons, and chipboard:
IMG_8770.jpg

Shelf above this desk:
IMG_8763.jpg

The cases with the plastic drawers are 12x12. They hold punches, more ziploc bags and labels for swaps, thickers, and a couple other "themes". I always leave one drawer for the current swap I am working for supplies, works in progress or bags waiting to be mailed.
In between the cases, I have some books, Cricut mats, albums in progress, pages not in albums yet, and a lot of these Cropper Hopper folders:
IMG_8794.jpg

I use these for themes or projects in progress that don't warrant a full size Iris case - they hold paper plus not-too bulky embellishments.

Desk #2 - main work space
IMG_8764.jpg

Underneath the desk are more 12x12 drawers. These are for my scraps. I know - it's excessive, but I have the room so why not. One drawer for each color, another for patterned paper, Disney paper, specialty paper. And yes, I do go into the drawers and use the scraps.
The accordian paper holder to the right of the drawers holds my non-themed patterned paper, sorted by primary color in the pattern.

The left corner of the desk has a couple open topped containers for things I use all the time - scissors, pens, adhesives, etc. The little red drawer thing holds my markers, alcohol inks, distress ink pads, and other tools. There are little jars from Ikea that hold all my little ribbon scraps that are too small to put on fiber cards, but too big to throw away. I will go there first when making a card or other small item.

This bag is another thing I bring to crops, but it's accessible enough that it functions as is on my desk as well. This contains all my most frequently used tools - paper trimmers both large and small, scissors, ATG gun, adhesives, stickles, etc.
IMG_8769.jpg

As you can see, the scrap room is Disney themed, so I thought I'd share a few of the decorative touches as you all would appreciate them. By the way, the curtains are my favorite thing in the whole room. I started with those, and built the rest of the room around them!

IMG_8757.jpg

My newest addition - I've had these MDF letters FOREVER because I had grandiose ideas of what I'd do with them. I finally just today spray painted them red and put them up. One less thing to store in the closet.

I have a rather large collection of Disney stuffed animals from childhood. I figured I could use the dead space near the ceiling to both store and display them. You can also see how I dealt with the TV issue - I needed one in the room, but had very little room for it, so we mounted it to the wall. Someday I hope to replace it with a flat screen as it is my least favorite part of the room.
IMG_8781.jpg

All along the top part of the wall, I have framed stills from Disney movies, and on top of the window frames (the only place my cat can't get to them!) are Disney figurines I've collected.
IMG_8784.jpg

So thanks, Hope, for the motivation to get this room finished!!

Thank you for sharing your room. It felt like I was really there with your detailed descriptions along with the photos. Just one thing, where do I sit when I come over? :confused3

PS- So you like Pepsi over Coke?

Thank you for sharing your room. It felt like I was really there with your detailed descriptions along with the photos. Just one thing, where do I sit when I come over? :confused3

PS- So you like Pepsi over Coke?

Well, there are 2 chairs in the room, but I've never tried to scrap with 2 in the room. When I've had a friend come over, we scrap in the dining room, as it's pretty easy to move things. Even the Cricut cart rolls.

I actually quit soda awhile ago. The Pepsi can is one of my DsD's. They're not allowed to have food or drink next to the computer anymore when they're on it (after 2 replaced keyboards:headache:), so they put it on the table behind them. Not great that it's near my scrap stuff, but it's much harder to knock it over across the room.

I forgot to update this yesterday...

Week 3 Tasks:

1. Basic Buttons
2. Collect Stickers
3. Sort Stickers
Here are some categories to help you.

* Alphabet
* Christmas
* Disney
* Sports
* Holidays
* Animals
* Travel
* Kids

4. Ribbon and Fibers
5. Books & Magazines and Sketches, saved articles, etc
6. Rub-ons
7. Chipboard

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter