Organize Your Space Challenge - Week 4 Remaining Embellishments, Tools, Albums

hopemax

Note to Self:
Your task, should you choose to accept it, organize your space. Get all those purchase out of the bags, get all those piles off the floor. Find out what you have 4 of, what you have none of. And create a better system, so that you are more motivated to do what you want to do...SCRAP!

Starting on the first day of the month, I will highlight seven tasks to focus your attention to. Every 7 days, I will highlight a new set of tasks. Hopefully, by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable tasks, we can remain motivated and by the middle-end of February we will have clean and organized scrap spaces. Many of these should only take 15 minutes or less to gather and find a home for.

1. Small Bottles: Stickles, Flock, Alcohol Inks
  2. Cricut Supplies, Sizzix, Cuttlebug, Quickuts & Other Manual Die Cut Systems
  3. Stamps, Chalks, Inks & Embossing Powders/Supplies
  4. Collect Paper
  5. Adhesives
  6. Flowers
  7. Sort Paper
  8. Put away - Cardstock
  9. Put Away - Patterned Paper
  10. Collect Eyelets, Brads, Buttons
  11. Holiday Eyelets, Brads & Buttons
  12. Disney and other Themed Eyelets, Brads & Buttons
  13. Basic Shaped Brads (circles, squares, stars, hearts)
  14. Basic Shaped Eyelets (circles, hearts, stars)
  15. Basic Buttons
  16. Collect Stickers
  17. Sort Stickers
    Here are some categories to help you.

• Alphabet
    • Christmas
    • Disney
    • Sports
    • Holidays
    • Animals
    • Travel
    • Kids
  18. Ribbon and Fibers
  19. Books & Magazines and Sketches, saved articles, etc
  20. Rub-ons
  21. Chipboard
  22. Metal Embellishments
  23. Gemstones, Skittles, and other embellishments
  24. Albums and Pages not in Albums
  25. Pens & Pencils and Swap Supplies (Ziplocs, priority mail boxes, labels, etc)
  26. Punches and Tools
  27. Photos
  28. Paper Scraps
  29. Swap Items
  30. What's Leftover

If there is something you have that is not on my list, let me know and I will add it. I am making this up as I go along, so input is appreciated.

Each day, I will post what I have done to organize my items, and a picture. Hopefully, others will share what works for them, and we will get ideas for what hasn't been working for us. I am working on getting some smileys and a signature clippie, so we can mark our progress. Feel free to work at your own pace. So if you need to do a couple things on one day, and a couple days where nothing gets done, feel free.

Here are a couple of clippies you can add to your signature if you are participating. I will make a couple more when we finish the challenge, to show you completed it.

bannerpurple.gif

banner.gif

For fun, I mentioned in the interest thread, my room was horrible. You can see it for yourself.

messyroom1.jpg

messyroom2.jpg

Day 1 - Small Bottles: Stickles, Alcohol Inks, Flock

I slept in, so getting a bit of a late start on Day 1. Hopefully, this shouldn't take too long though.

I originally had, one spot for my Stickles, a different spot for my alcohol inks, and a third spot for my Flock. But when I needed them, I couldn't remember which I had put where. So now all my little bottles are in the same place.

Day after Thanksgiving, I purchased my first couple of Jetmax storage cubes from Michaels. One of them has a drawer, with dividers. They are perfect for storing these small items.

smallbottlestorage.jpg

However, don't think you need to run out and buy all new storage stuff just to get your room clean. When I first started, I had my Stickles in this little box, which originally was for my DH's collectible card game.
box.jpg

After the Holiday's you may have all sorts of boxes lying around. Repurpose them, to use to collect and store items until you can find a "prettier" solution. But in the short term, they will all be together in one space.

I did day 1- I had a little bag with divided comparments that I didn't have anything specific in so I used it for these items and my glues that go with them as well as my embossing paste. My embossing powders and glitter sprays are still in the container I keep them in. I am pretty good about getting them back (you didn't have a day for embossing supplies).

Rebecca

100_3538.jpg

The flock & embossing powders are on the bottom shelf along with the heat gun & tray & Versamark pads & refills.
The top shelf has two containers of ink - one opened and one still new - and a little container on top of that with all my Stickles.
These were all over the room. It's nice to have them in one place.

Well... day 1 is easy for me. I don't own any of the mentioned items! (I'm sort of a simple scrapper.) DONE!!:lmao: ................P

I really want to do this! Thanks so much. We are leaving for Bday dinner but I'm going to work on this when we return. I am taking pictures along the way and hope to learn to post them soon! I have a beautiful space and I am embarrassed that it is such a mess. Even my kids have commented on it! I am a neat freak, but feel way overwhelmed at this task. This will be so helpful!
I love seeing the storage ideas!

Great Job everyone! :woohoo:

Yep, I forgot about embossing powders. DMIL stamps and has a lot of embossing powders. I don't want to step on her toes, and make our paper crafting a competition, so that is one thing that I have purposefully never bought.

I will add embossing supplies with the Inks, but if you want to to it today, or any other day, that is fine too. Order doesn't matter as much as making your space inviting and productive.

Oh boy, just sat down and am reading the boards when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, Guilt sneeks its ugly head and says "You know what you need to do!" :headache: See ya in 15 or maybe 20! :lmao: Thanks for the motivation!

Elsie

Oh boy, just sat down and am reading the boards when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, Guilt sneeks its ugly head and says "You know what you need to do!" :headache: See ya in 15 or maybe 20! :lmao: Thanks for the motivation!

Elsie

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: ORGANIZE!!! CLEAN!!!! GO!!! GO!!!GO!!!:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Already done - I keep all my Stickles bottles on a shelf that's in the open, so that I do keep organized!!:thumbsup2

Luckily this is one I had already taken care of. I have this little plastic 3 drawer thing on my desk that holds my alcohol inks. Stickles live in my crop bag (luckily I don't have too many right now so they easily fit in two pockets - if I buy more I will have to reevaluate.) And no flock for me.

This one's taken care of for me, too! I keep my Stickles (original, designer & Distressed) in this altered alcohol ink tin.

IMG_8514.jpg

I have a tin for the alcohol inks, too, but haven't decorated it yet.
May have to wait for the new alcohol ink colors to do so :rolleyes1

This is a much needed challenge! Thanks for hosting! :thumbsup2

Marylee pixiedust:

Great way to learn new things too like.......WHAT THE HECK ARE STICKLES AND HOW WOULD YOU USE THEM?? :lmao: :confused3

Stickles are glitter glue. They come in dozens of colors. I use them to make letters and snowflakes sparkly, or edge cardstock for emphasis. When I made my cards for my Grandma, I used them to edge butterflies, and the frosting part of cupcakes.

http://www.rangerink.com/products/prod_decorativeglue_stickles.htm

They cost about $2 a bottle. I started out with the frosted lace, and metallics like gold & silver. Now I have a bunch, and NEED more. :lmao: I get mine at Archivers and LSS. You can't really find them in the big box stores like Michaels, but Hobby Lobby stocks a couple of 3 packs (in the aisle with the stamp stuff and flock).

Stickles are glitter glue. They come in dozens of colors. I use them to make letters and snowflakes sparkly, or edge cardstock for emphasis. When I made my cards for my Grandma, I used them to edge butterflies, and the frosting part of cupcakes.

http://www.rangerink.com/products/prod_decorativeglue_stickles.htm

They cost about $2 a bottle. I started out with the frosted lace, and metallics like gold & silver. Now I have a bunch, and NEED more. :lmao: I get mine at Archivers and LSS. You can't really find them in the big box stores like Michaels, but Hobby Lobby stocks a couple of 3 packs (in the aisle with the stamp stuff and flock).

So it's like the paints in a bottle then right?

And what would the alcohol bottles be fore??? Drinking?? LOL :drinking: This way no one figures out why mommy likes to scrap so much. :rotfl2:

Alcohol Inks are used to color metal and acrylic or anything else that normal ink would wipe off of. But most of us have them to dye Skittles. Which will require another explanation. Early last year, someone on the Cricut boards, I think, found at Michaels these little half round pieces of plastic. They were supposed to be used to fill the bottom of a vase, or candle or something. They were called "Decorative Accents." Since they are about the size of the candy Skittles, and you can dye them in a rainbow of colors, thus they were dubbed Skittles. And they spread like wildfire. You can use these as centers of flowers, or just a different type of embellishment or they look pretty sitting on a shelf in a spice jar :lmao: .

Alcohol Inks are used to color metal and acrylic or anything else that normal ink would wipe off of. But most of us have them to dye Skittles. Which will require another explanation. Early last year, someone on the Cricut boards, I think, found at Michaels these little half round pieces of plastic. They were supposed to be used to fill the bottom of a vase, or candle or something. They were called "Decorative Accents." Since they are about the size of the candy Skittles, and you can dye them in a rainbow of colors, thus they were dubbed Skittles. And they spread like wildfire. You can use these as centers of flowers, or just a different type of embellishment or they look pretty sitting on a shelf in a spice jar :lmao: .

:cool1: cool thanks. :cool1:

On to Day 2: Cricut Cartridges & Supplies

I figure most of you probably are already doing well in this category too. AWM, is finished with this one already, I know. Although, maybe you have carts and books scattered from Christmas projects. I wanted to put a couple of easy things at the beginning, in case someone wasn't able to get started on Day 1. A few easy things, and everyone joining late should be able to catch up. So come on in!

My cartridge storage was pretty simple at the beginning. I started with one photo storage box. Then I got more cartridges, and got another box. With the new cartridges from the Michaels sale over Thansksgiving, I am now up to 4 photo boxes. I have one for Alphas, one for Shapes, one for Disney, and one for the Classmates (and the extra Disney since that box is now full!). My extra blades are stored in my Alpha box.

cricutboxes.jpg

It looks nice, I know where everything is, but when it comes time to work on a project, it can be a pain, pulling out all the carts/books/keypads and putting them away. When I make my cards I could end up using 10 carts at the same time! I saw a recommendation on the Cricut board to use Snapware containers. So I took all the stuff out of the boxes, and they are stored in the photo storage boxes like before. But I don't get in and out of them. Now all the carts are stored in a Snapware container. This one, came in a set that I got at Costco back in April. I would like to find one that will fit all the books/keypads, but for now all of those are in another photo storage box. They are also sorted by: Alpha, Shapes, Disney, Classmates. I keep the box with the books/keypads and the Snapware container on the window seat next to my Cricut. They are very easy to grab when I need multiple carts while working on one project, or to take into the living room when I work in there.

cricutcarts.jpg
cricutkeypads.jpg

Also, as part of today's organization, I gathered all of my old mats. I wiped them all down, and re-stickied them using the biggest Zig Pen. Don't forget to find all the mats & blades you've been purchasing with JoAnn's coupons and get them all in the same place, so you know how many you have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter