Offsite parking when staying at hotel property

Yup. $20/night self park. $30/night for valet. It used to be included in the resort fee but they dropped the resort fee and now just have a parking fee for people with vehicles, just like at Universal.

Disneyland is amazing. It is laid out very similarly to Universal Orlando. It is definitely worth a trip....even though their onsite hotels are sooooooooo expensive.

I wonder how long it will be till WDW introduce the same charge........

I have a few friends who have been there and loved it, I'm sure it's a fabulous place to visit.....the hotels do look lovely!

DBM, if you don't think that parking fees and the Magical Express isn't built into Disney resort fees, then there's nothing more I can say. And this is from a long time WDW lover and not a Universal shill.

:thumbsup2

Just wondering if anyone has thought of or tried parking offsite when staying at the onsite hotels? 22 dollars a night is over 140 dollars if staying 7 nights.

the thought of paying towing/impound fees typically deters those trying to work around it.

Most deluxe properties have resort fees. At least @ U only those who have a car are dinged.

WDW wants to keep guests & their $ onsite via offering ME. This and the lack of any resort/parking fees are factored into the daily rate of the accommodations.

I don't know why people say its hidden at disney, from what I see the room rates are comparable except I"m paying extra for parking at Universal.

We say that because it's true. If a hotel has a parking lot and isn't charging a fee to park there, then the costs for creating and maintaining the lot is wrapped up in their overall charges and everyone is paying for it.

There are some Universal shills here who see nothing wrong with what Universal does and everything wrong with what Disney does.

Where's my money if I'm a shill?

"A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization."

And if I were in the employ of Uni (if only!) I probably couldn't contribute to the Disneyand conversation and how much I appreciate the fact that they stopped charging the overall Resort Fee and went to a plain parking fee. Because sometimes I have a car and sometimes I don't. I like paying when I do and not paying when I don't.

Many times there are discounts especially for Florida resident which don't seem as much at universal as they do at Disney. P

You've used the code FLO to check?

Not sure why FL discounts are so important overall. Tons of us go and aren't from Florida. Those discounts mean nothing to us.

Because when comparing the florida discounts and the rates, you truly are paying extra for parking anyway you slice it.

We say that because it's true. If a hotel has a parking lot and isn't charging a fee to park there, then the costs for creating and maintaining the lot is wrapped up in their overall charges and everyone is paying for it.

Where's my money if I'm a shill?

"A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization."

And if I were in the employ of Uni (if only!) I probably couldn't contribute to the Disneyand conversation and how much I appreciate the fact that they stopped charging the overall Resort Fee and went to a plain parking fee. Because sometimes I have a car and sometimes I don't. I like paying when I do and not paying when I don't.

You've used the code FLO to check?

Not sure why FL discounts are so important overall. Tons of us go and aren't from Florida. Those discounts mean nothing to us.

Because when comparing the florida discounts and the rates, you truly are paying extra for parking anyway you slice it.

FLA rate is about the same as APH which varies from 20%-30%. Is that comparable to the WDW Florida resident discount? I have no idea.

Cabana Bay ... seasonal rate for August 22 is $149, FLO rate is $109

So if you are going to compare Cabana Bay to the cheapest values (not a fair comparison), then yes it is more expensive, but if you compare it to something like Caribbean Beach... their Florida Residents' rate for that same time is $150.

Last edited:
I don't know why people say its hidden at disney, from what I see the room rates are comparable except I"m paying extra for parking at Universal.

The room rates are comparable? We were originally booked at Port Orleans Riverside which is my favorite "motel" at WDW for $230 a night. We are now booked at Portofino Bay Resort for $223 a night. How are those 2 resorts comparable? In my opinion the UO resorts blow away the WDW resorts. How can one compare value resorts like POP to Cabana Bay Beach Resort? The answer is you can't!!!

UO is up front with their parking fees. If you have a car you pay. Unlike Disney where their resort rates are outrageous, because if you have a car or not, you still pay the inflated fees and those fees also include the Magical Express which most people don't realize they are paying for whether they use it or not.

I know people who work at WDW and verified what I just posted.

If you're driving in from out of town then paying for parking is just par for the course. I've paid that much (and more) on my city vacation. It's just a reality of traveling with a car.
If you're flying in, just don't get a car. Uber and Lyft are so cheap and easy if you want to venture in Orlando. Only rent a car if you have farther trips planned and just pay for parking on days you have a car.
I really prefer parking fees as I don't use a car at Universal and don't have to pay for it.

The room rates are comparable? We were originally booked at Port Orleans Riverside which is my favorite "motel" at WDW for $230 a night. We are now booked at Portofino Bay Resort for $223 a night. How are those 2 resorts comparable? In my opinion the UO resorts blow away the WDW resorts. How can one compare value resorts like POP to Cabana Bay Beach Resort? The answer is you can't!!!

UO is up front with their parking fees. If you have a car you pay. Unlike Disney where their resort rates are outrageous, because if you have a car or not, you still pay the inflated fees and those fees also include the Magical Express which most people don't realize they are paying for whether they use it or not.

I know people who work at WDW and verified what I just posted.

How are you getting a rate that low on Portofino? I must be doing something wrong here or I'm trying to book too far our or something. All the rates I'm seeing are at least 40 dollars more for RPR let alone HRH or PBR.

robl, how many days are you going for? We will be there 8 days 9/26-10/4 and have the Stay More Save More deal which takes 35% off the room rate, because we are staying 7 days or more.. They just went up for our rooms by over $100 per night for our dates, but you just have to keep checking because the prices fluctuate daily.

robl, how many days are you going for? We will be there 8 days 9/26-10/4 and have the Stay More Save More deal which takes 35% off the room rate, because we are staying 7 days or more.. They just went up for our rooms by over $100 per night for our dates, but you just have to keep checking because the prices fluctuate daily.

We are looking at 7 nights end of March 2018. Maybe its just way too far in advance. I even looked just for the heck of it at random times before the end of this year since they were listing special rates and found nothing below like 270. I feel like I"m doing something wrong.

We are looking at 7 nights end of March 2018. Maybe its just way too far in advance. I even looked just for the heck of it at random times before the end of this year since they were listing special rates and found nothing below like 270. I feel like I"m doing something wrong.

You have to check daily like I do. And I check multiple times a day. For 2 weeks my Garden View room was $223 per night and yesterday it went up to $343 per night for our dates. I'll bet $100 that in the next month it goes back to $223 again since it's done it 3 times in the months I've been following it.

if you look at the chart on the UO website, it will show what dates/time periods the amount of discount for the SMSM

the highest discount is 35% and it only covers certains weeks in a month, but not all months have that deep discount.

My fall trip is centered around that 35% amd I book with the SMSM rate.
The rate carries over for all my dates as I hit the hight discount period and it carries thru my booking.
and for holding my platinum status, i get two credits when i stay more than 7 nights.

also, booking many months out usually has the cheapest room rate.

i usually do my fall 2 week stays starting around sept 27 up to Oct 2 for a two week stay when the 35% discounts is allowed.

the chart will reflect what dates allow the % off the
published rate.

hope this chart lines up correctly to reflect the smsm discount periods.

On-Site Hotel Offer
STARTING FROM$91 .00*PER NIGHT, BASED ON A 7-NIGHT STAY

START BOOKING
Terms And Conditions

Need Assistance?

(888) 273-1311

Save more with each day you stay at a Universal Orlando™ on-site resort hotel. Make the most of your vacation with savings of up to 35%, and exclusive theme park benefits and amenities. All Universal Orlando Resort™ hotel guests receive Early Park Admission◊ to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™ and Universal’s Volcano Bay™ one hour before the park opens (valid theme park admission required). Guests staying at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, Hard Rock Hotel®, and Loews Royal Pacific Resort enjoy free† Universal Express Unlimited™ access to skip the regular lines at participating rides and attractions in Universal Studios Florida™ and Universal's Islands of Adventure™—a benefit worth up to $89 per person, per day†† (Valid theme park admission required. Not valid at Universal’s Volcano Bay™).

When To Purchase When To Go
Now–Dec. 19, 2017

Sept. 4 – Sept. 28, 2017
Nov. 26 – Dec 21, 2017

' : ''" style="box-sizing: border-box; word-wrap: break-word; padding: 1.25rem 0.625rem; font-weight: 300; line-height: 20px; vertical-align: bottom; font-size: 14px; width: calc(17.5% - 20px);">
3 Nights

' : ''" style="box-sizing: border-box; word-wrap: break-word; padding: 1.25rem 0.625rem; font-weight: 300; line-height: 20px; vertical-align: bottom; font-size: 14px; width: calc(17.5% - 20px);">
4 Nights

' : ''" style="box-sizing: border-box; word-wrap: break-word; padding: 1.25rem 0.625rem; font-w
7 Nights
Holiday, Peak And Summer

Feb. 17–25
Feb. 26–Mar. 9
Mar. 10–Apr. 6
Apr. 7–22
May 26–28
Jun. 2–17

Jun. 18–Jul. 29

Jul. 30–Aug. 12

Nov. 22–25

Dec. 22–Jan. 6, 2018

10%
Cells.length ? ' ' : ''" style="box-sizing: border-box; word-wrap: break-word; padding: 30px 0.625rem; line-height: 0.9375rem; vertical-align: top; text-align: center; font-size: 0.6875rem; width: 152.15625px; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">

15%
Cells.length ? ' ' : ''" style="box-sizing: border-box; word-wrap: break-word; padding: 30px 0.625rem; line-height: 0.9375rem; vertical-align: top; text-align: center; font-size: 0.6875rem; width: 152.15625px; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">

25%
Regular And Value

Jan. 2–Jan. 12
Jan. 13–Jan. 15
Jan. 16–Feb. 16
Apr. 23–May 25
May. 29–Jun. 1

Aug. 13–Sep. 3

Sep. 4–Sep. 28

Sep. 29–Nov. 21

Nov. 26–Dec. 21

Cells.length ? ' ' : ''" style="box-sizing: border-box; word-wrap: break-word; padding: 30px 0.625rem; line-height: 0.9375rem; vertical-align: top; text-align: center; font-size: 0.6875rem; width: 155.484375px; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">

10%

20%

25%

35%

wil try again to bring the cite up as it will list the weeks the 35% discount is in place

Part of it is that you're comparing spring break rates to end of September rates. Doubtful that you'll ever get rates like Disney Ron is enjoying at the end of September.

3 Nights
4 Nights
5/6 Nights
7 Nights

Holiday, Peak And Summer

Feb. 17–25
Feb. 26–Mar. 9
Mar. 10–Apr. 6
Apr. 7–22
May 26–28
Jun. 2–17

Jun. 18–Jul. 29

Jul. 30–Aug. 12

Nov. 22–25

Dec. 22–Jan. 6, 2018

Discount Unavailable

10%

15%

25%
Regular And Value

Jan. 2–Jan. 12
Jan. 13–Jan. 15
Jan. 16–Feb. 16
Apr. 23–May 25
May. 29–Jun. 1

Aug. 13–Sep. 3

Sep. 4–Sep. 28

Sep. 29–Nov. 21

Nov. 26–Dec. 21

10%

20%

25%

35% The dates below reflect the amount of your SMSM discount if you book the room for 7 nights or more.
book less than 7 nights, then your smsm discount will be less than 35%,
see the brackets of discounts above
if you go to the UO site you wil see more info concerning the SMSM dates.
the 35% discount i get is much greater than the AP discounts.

Regular And Value
Jan. 2–Jan. 12
Jan. 13–Jan. 15
Jan. 16–Feb. 16
Apr. 23–May 25
May. 29–Jun. 1

Aug. 13–Sep. 3

Sep. 4–Sep. 28

Sep. 29–Nov. 21

Nov. 26–Dec. 21

Part of it is that you're comparing spring break rates to end of September rates. Doubtful that you'll ever get rates like Disney Ron is enjoying at the end of September.

Agreed and I know obviously they will be higher, I'm just having a hard time figuring out if I'm getting the best rate or what a florida resident rate might look like. With Disney, you go on, you pick the offer and it says flat out whether they offer it or not. I"m sure I'm making it way too complicated or something. I'm just trying to figure out where I"m going to be budget wise to know if this will work out or if I need to cut days back etc.

Check the smsm rates for when you are going and compare to the Flo rate

Smsm covers the year and is posted early

You can always call and modify your rate if one is better than the other after you book

You're going to have a really tough time finding bargain rates the week before Easter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter