Offsite parking when staying at hotel property

robl45

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if anyone has thought of or tried parking offsite when staying at the onsite hotels? 22 dollars a night is over 140 dollars if staying 7 nights.

We just consider it as part of the price of the vacation. Having to park offsite (if that's even possible within walking distance) and then schlep back to the hotel would be more hassle than we'd be willing to mess with.

Just wondering if anyone has thought of or tried parking offsite when staying at the onsite hotels? 22 dollars a night is over 140 dollars if staying 7 nights.

I wouldn't risk leaving a car anywhere away from where I was staying.

Just count it as part of your total price. That's what we do.

I can't even think anywhere nearby you would even be able to do that without being towed. Add the hassle of getting back and forward every time you wanted the car.........such a waste of time. Make life easier for yourself and pay the charges.

Still a good question though. I've stayed at some places where public parking garages are convenient to the hotel and much cheaper. Just not the case here.

Public parking is not convenient and the businesses surrounding Universal would not be very happy to let theme park visitors park for free so they either have a fee or the ability to tow/boot your car for being there too long.

Well if it was 10 bucks a night and a quick uber trip, then it would be a savings over 7 nights. At 300 a night, charging for parking on top of it is petty IMHO.

Loews don't own the land the hotels are built on.

I prefer having paid parking only for people who have cars. Saves having it built it in to the room costs and hidden like at Disney.

I have many friends that stay without a car and appreciate they aren't paying for it in hidden room charges.

Wouldn't say it was petty, it's a choice you make. Cabana Bay is cheaper to park I believe.

When I was in NYC last year our hotel charged $65 a night just for car parking. With Loews, one nights parking gives you two full days of parking.

I don't know why people say its hidden at disney, from what I see the room rates are comparable except I"m paying extra for parking at Universal.

I don't know why people say its hidden at disney, from what I see the room rates are comparable except I"m paying extra for parking at Universal.

average night AKL standard view (cheapest of the Disney Deluxe hotels) in october : $425

average night at RPR standard (cheapest UOR deluxe hotel) same period : $273
even if you include the $22 parking charge, you pay $295 at universal compared to $425 at disney's

all other things set aside, you pay $130 per night at Disney's to get "free" parking
and I'm not even talking about the fact that you get Unlimited Express at RPR when the only perk you get at disney's is a 30 days head start on just 3 FP+ (as well as a 10 days head start on restaurant reservations 6 months out ...)

ETA : and one last thing.
You mention a 7 nights stay, meaning you most probably got SMSM rate applied.
that's a 30% discount on your whole stay, when at disney you don't get any discount for a 7 nights stay (or any length of stay for that matter)

Last edited:

There are some Universal shills here who see nothing wrong with what Universal does and everything wrong with what Disney does.

I choose to call them like I see them. I love both parks, but there is good and bad with both Universal and Disney. Nothing wrong with pointing it out.

I agree with you on the ridiculously high parking charges for resort guests.

here, as demonstrated above, it's not about being in the disney camp or in the universal camp. it's about taking rates, and comparing

numbers don't lie.

I agree $22 seem ridiculously high for a parking charge (even though that's standard across the board)
but what about the fact, cold, hard and one anyone can check, that disney will charge you $100 or more a night to offer you free parking ?

people cringe at the idea of paying $22 extra for parking, and praise those who charge 5 times that amount without admitting it

oh, and before I go, a few months ago, Disney introduced the idea of adding a parking charge to their hotels ... still no news on that front but they definitely think about it ...

A bit of apples to oranges here I suppose. I don't many people end up paying the full rate for Disney hotels. Many times there are discounts especially for Florida resident which don't seem as much at universal as they do at Disney. P

average night AKL standard view (cheapest of the Disney Deluxe hotels) in october : $425

average night at RPR standard (cheapest UOR deluxe hotel) same period : $273
even if you include the $22 parking charge, you pay $295 at universal compared to $425 at disney's

all other things set aside, you pay $130 per night at Disney's to get "free" parking
and I'm not even talking about the fact that you get Unlimited Express at RPR when the only perk you get at disney's is a 30 days head start on just 3 FP+ (as well as a 10 days head start on restaurant reservations 6 months out ...)

ETA : and one last thing.
You mention a 7 nights stay, meaning you most probably got SMSM rate applied.
that's a 30% discount on your whole stay, when at disney you don't get any discount for a 7 nights stay (or any length of stay for that matter)

here, as demonstrated above, it's not about being in the disney camp or in the universal camp. it's about taking rates, and comparing

numbers don't lie.

I agree $22 seem ridiculously high for a parking charge (even though that's standard across the board)
but what about the fact, cold, hard and one anyone can check, that disney will charge you $100 or more a night to offer you free parking ?

people cringe at the idea of paying $22 extra for parking, and praise those who charge 5 times that amount without admitting it

oh, and before I go, a few months ago, Disney introduced the idea of adding a parking charge to their hotels ... still no news on that front but they definitely think about it ...

Cold hard fact? So, according to you, if I wanted to stay at one of the All-Star resorts during my January stay at Disney, they'd be paying me $.50/night to stay there, while charging me $100/night for parking? Room rates there are $99.50 during that time.

That's where your ridiculous analogy falls apart.

Disneyland hotels, which are similarly landlocked like the Universal hotels, also charge for parking. It isn't just a Universal thing.

I didn't know Disneyland hotels charged for parking.

But as I've never been there, I wouldn't of course........:D

I didn't know Disneyland hotels charged for parking.

But as I've never been there, I wouldn't of course........:D

Yup. $20/night self park. $30/night for valet. It used to be included in the resort fee but they dropped the resort fee and now just have a parking fee for people with vehicles, just like at Universal.

Disneyland is amazing. It is laid out very similarly to Universal Orlando. It is definitely worth a trip....even though their onsite hotels are sooooooooo expensive.

Last edited:
There are some Universal shills here who see nothing wrong with what Universal does and everything wrong with what Disney does.

I choose to call them like I see them. I love both parks, but there is good and bad with both Universal and Disney. Nothing wrong with pointing it out.

DBM, if you don't think that parking fees and the Magical Express isn't built into Disney resort fees, then there's nothing more I can say. And this is from a long time WDW lover and not a Universal shill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter