"Official" Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2017 - Believe in the Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all OP was pointing out was that the holiday may drive up crowds for Monday's party - either due to actual business or school closures, or folks making their own long weekend out of any time off.

Yes, This!
Typically, it's the Friday/Saturday or Sunday/Monday. Here my bank close on Mondays, not Fridays. Also, some schools and some city offices will be off (closed) that Monday. So my post was based on my area and typically the long weekend of being off on Monday, not Friday.

Yes, This!
Typically, it's the Friday/Saturday or Sunday/Monday. Here my bank close on Mondays, not Fridays. Also, some schools and some city offices will be off (closed) that Monday. So my post was based on my area and typically the long weekend of being off on Monday, not Friday.

Really? I was hoping crowds would be gone. No idea it was a long weekend for some :(

So for the record, Florida itself observes holidays that fall on a Saturday on the Friday prior and holidays that fall on Sunday are observed on Mondays. Yes I looked this up because I am one of those people who likes definitive answers.

So for the record, Florida itself observes holidays that fall on a Saturday on the Friday prior and holidays that fall on Sunday are observed on Mondays. Yes I looked this up because I am one of those people who likes definitive answers.

Great! My response was to overall crowds - Sunday could have more of a crowd than Tuesday, due to those that are utilizing the long weekend. Those that would be traveling to WDW and coming from other states, as well as FL. Crowd levels based on ALL guests.

My initial response was to give PP an idea that that Sunday may be different than other Sunday parties. Wasn't trying to determine who's actually off and when, just that crowd levels could be different.

Veterans Day is the 11th, which falls on a Saturday this year, so may be observed on Monday some places.

Some may be off for Veteran's Day.

Wouldn't a Saturday holiday be observed on the Friday prior? I think that's when federal offices are closed.

This is correct. If you look at any calendar they all have the "observed" holiday as Friday the 10th. But I am not sure if certain places go on a different schedule? Would seem odd.

I am factchecking myself today- but as a government employee I am pretty certain that most (if not all) states & the federal government adhere to the Saturday holiday Friday observance and Sunday holiday Monday observance rule. It is true that certain departments/staff are more inclined to take time off around a holiday, but I have never observed Veteran's day to be a popular one. The summer and winter holidays see far more vacations in my experience.

ETA: Rhode Island is the only state that bucks this rule. They celebrate on 11/13 when everyone else does on 11/11. I created a spreadsheet of all state holidays- & learned some interesting and some distressing things about our country in the process.

Last edited:

The Federal Reserve standard holiday schedule mandates that if January 1, July 4, November 11 or December 25 fall on a Sunday, the following Monday will be observed as a holiday. If January 1, July 4, November 11 or December 25 occur on a Saturday, the preceding Friday will not be observed as a holiday. Businesses that follow the Federal Reserve's holiday schedule will be closed on Saturday. If they're not open on Saturday, no holiday is granted as an observed holiday.

"Official" Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2017 - Believe in the Magic

Let's stay on the topic of this thread please. MVMCP!
No more posts regarding observance of holidays.

My post to original question. Sunday or Tuesday....
I was just suggesting to OP on deciding on dates. I am aware of observance of holidays. However, where I am, city employees have always had that day off, and schools in my area and surrounding areas have that Monday off. Therefore, other places could too. It could or could not have an impact on Sunday's party. That's all!
:santa:

Happy planning! 87D until my Christmas at Disney!

Just purchased my Florida Resident APs today & immediately called and purchased my MVMCP tickets for DH & I for November 14th. Really excited. It was his suggestion so that we can do something different this year. And we are staying at AKL. It's been a heck of a year health wise for both of us and Irma just about did us in so we are looking forward to our first MVMCP.

Just purchased my Florida Resident APs today & immediately called and purchased my MVMCP tickets for DH & I for November 14th. Really excited. It was his suggestion so that we can do something different this year. And we are staying at AKL. It's been a heck of a year health wise for both of us and Irma just about did us in so we are looking forward to our first MVMCP.

Woo-hoo! I love AKL, especially during the Christmas holidays. The trees and decorations are beautiful.pixiedust:

Why are the MVMCP tickets more expensive then the MHHP? I have been to both and think the Halloween party has a lot more to offer. Have I missed something in the Christmas Party?

Can someone give me a rough idea on what to expect as far as wait times are concerned for characters?

I already anticipate that Sandy Claws will be a lengthy wait, so we are lining up for him as soon as possible.

We had no intention of meeting characters at the first party we attended, which was last year. But we happened to walk past Sandy Claws right as the first parade was getting going and the line was short, only about 15 minutes. Totally worth it!

Christmas Party dance parties:

Are they worth it? How long do you spend at each one? Trying to create a game plan here!

Christmas Party dance parties:

Are they worth it? How long do you spend at each one? Trying to create a game plan here!

We went last year with our six year old daughter and 10 year old son. They both really, really loved the dance parties. We stopped by the one in Tomorrowland a couple of times for about 15 minutes each time. It was neat to pop in and out of. I got great video of my kids dancing with Reindeer!

I've never been to an MVMCP so not sure how early you need to stake out a parade spot. I know it's super early for Main Street, which we don't want to do (too much idle time for our kids). If we were to plan on watching the 1st parade somewhere in Fronteirland (either deep in Fronteirland, or up near the Hall of Presidents), how early would we need to arrive for a good spot? Is 30 minutes sufficient, or even in Fronteirland to you need more like 45+ minutes ahead of time? Thanks :-)

Ok I'm missing that, phew! Still going on one of the more popular dates but at least it won't be that!

We're from Jersey but moved to FL. We are going that week to meet friends from NJ. LOL! Also going to the first party and none of us have gone to one before!

That's what I've been told...someone said the fireworks are wonderful! How likely would it be to snag an earlier reservation closer to our trip? I know BOG is super popular!

We went to a MNSSHP last year and thought we would walk up and check and they said they could seat us! They said a family JUST walked up and canceled. Not sure if that's true (it would be a big coincidence) but whatever! You could always try that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter