***Official May 2023 Thread***

May I ask what the weather was like for you last year, anecdotally? We arrive May 1. I'm not the best in the heat and so am likely overpreparing with cooling towels, portable fans, and the like--in addition to planning midday ADRs and other AC-friendly breaks. I know the average high for May as a whole is 88*F but I'm hoping earlier in May tends to be less on the humid side!

Congrats to your daughter btw and good luck for Aulani!
We were there for the last few days of April and the first few days of May. The highs were mostly in the low to mid 80’s with low humidity. I have a personal fan that I usually have to use in the afternoons. It simply took up space in my bag each day. I think we experienced a total of 30 minutes of light rain on our first park day; but that was it. we didn’t use a single one of our disposable ponchos the entire trip. We also enjoyed a light breeze most days. We usually travel late May/early June when temps and humidity are higher and it rains pretty much every afternoon. We couldn’t believe the difference in the weather. I hope you/we enjoy a repeat of last year. 🙂

We were there for the last few days of April and the first few days of May. The highs were mostly in the low to mid 80’s with low humidity. I have a personal fan that I usually have to use in the afternoons. It simply took up space in my bag each day. I think we experienced a total of 30 minutes of light rain on our first park day; but that was it. we didn’t use a single one of our disposable ponchos the entire trip. We also enjoyed a light breeze most days. We usually travel late May/early June when temps and humidity are higher and it rains pretty much every afternoon. We couldn’t believe the difference in the weather. I hope you/we enjoy a repeat of last year. 🙂
That sounds beautiful! Here's to hoping we get similar weather. Thank you!

I just switched from VGF to BWV and RIV. :sad1: Kind of sad but I wanted to save some DVC points for our 2023 Christmas trip. BWV points are hard to beat and I love being on the Boardwalk and close to EP & HS. So now I have 5 nights in a 1BR at BWV and 2 nights in a PV studio at RIV, which I may or may not keep. An RIV studio was all I could get and stay close to the Epcot area. I'm not too excited about 26 points a night to stay in a studio at any resort and I'm waitlisting for either BWV studio or consider an RIV Tower Studio.

Last edited:
I just switched from VGF to BWV and RIV. :sad1: Kind of sad but I wanted to save some DVC points for our 2023 Christmas trip. BWV points are hard to beat and I love being on the Boardwalk and close to EP & HS. So now I have 5 nights in a 1BR at BWV and 2 nights in a PV studio at RIV, which I may or may not keep. A RIV studio was all I could get and stay close to the Epcot area. I'm not too excited about 26 points a night to stay in a studio at any resort and I'm waitlisting for either BWV studio or consider a RIV Tower Studio.
What's the difference between those types of RIV studios? Are the tower ones the super small ones?

Yeah, May might as well be two different months weather wise in FL. I always travel during that end of the month time frame because my birthday falls around Memorial Day (sometimes ON it), and it really is night and day compared to the beginning of the month. I'm fine with it because I'm used to it, but for folks who can't cope with FL summer weather it can be an adjustment.

What's the difference between those types of RIV studios? Are the tower ones the super small ones?
Yes, they are but it's only DH and myself and it's only 2 nights. I will still be looking out for a BW Boardwalk or G/P View Studio for 17pp/night as opposed to the 15 pp/night Tower Studios.

Yes, they are but it's only DH and myself and it's only 2 nights. I will still be looking out for a BW Boardwalk or G/P View Studio for 17pp/night as opposed to the 15 pp/night Tower Studios.

I didn't actually realize RIV had other kinds of studios besides the 2 person ones, but I'm admittedly not very familiar with the resort's offerings. I did look into them back when they first opened and had the crazy discounts for Disney Visa holders but ended up going with another resort on that trip instead. I hope you get what you're after! Boardwalk would be so nice for Flower & Garden.

I didn't actually realize RIV had other kinds of studios besides the 2 person ones, but I'm admittedly not very familiar with the resort's offerings. I did look into them back when they first opened and had the crazy discounts for Disney Visa holders but ended up going with another resort on that trip instead. I hope you get what you're after! Boardwalk would be so nice for Flower & Garden.
Yeah, there are Deluxe Studios - Standard and Preferred View (maybe sleep up to 5) and the Tower Studios (up to 2) are only Standard views. I'm just finding out some of this information about RIV myself.

Wow! That was lucky timing because I just did a quick search yesterday and happened upon 2 nights in a 1 BR Standard @ BWV for the dates I needed. So I got my full week @ BWV. Five nights in a 1 BR G/P and another 2 in a 1 BR Standard. I wish I could just do the 7 nights in a 1 BR G/P but I need to watch those points for my Christmas 2023 trip. Hotels are way too expensive that week! Maybe I should try to hunt down a standard for the week? A savings of 38 points is significant but the search would probably be both mentally and emotionally exhausting!😩

Last edited:
I know a lot of people seem to like the cooling towels, but I didn't find them all that helpful for cooling me off when we tried them. We had frog toggs. They left my clothes damp, and it was already humid, so it made me feel wetter, but not cooler. I plan on personal fans this trip. I wished I had one in Sept. Now THAT was humid! May shouldn't be as humid.

I just switched to BWI from YC - couldn’t pass up the savings !

Nice! We are still at the Poly but switched to the hotel side, since DVC was not in the offer (shock of shocks lol). Our TA just moved us over to pool/marina view. We are willing to gamble with a little noise during the day if we don't have to face the construction site for 25% off lol

I just switched to BWI from YC - couldn’t pass up the savings !
One reason I chose YC in the first place was because I thought the chance at a discount would be better than BC. It's always nice to save money! Have you stayed at either YC or BWI before? This is our 1st time in a deluxe with the whole family. DH and I stayed at WL last Sept. and I loved it!

One reason I chose YC in the first place was because I thought the chance at a discount would be better than BC. It's always nice to save money! Have you stayed at either YC or BWI before? This is our 1st time in a deluxe with the whole family. DH and I stayed at WL last Sept. and I loved it!
I have stayed at all 3 EPCOT area resorts. I love being able to walk to two parks . I stayed at BWI last year so was just switching it up with YC this year. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a discount for my dates so switched to save. I would be happy with any of the EPCOT resorts.

Hi all! I booked this trip awhile ago, bought my airfare just after Christmas.... and finally convinced a friend to join me (the other is still negotiating with her husband). We'll be there May 6-9 at BWV.

I'd tried to convince my husband that we should sell our small point BWV contract but he came back with "but it's so useful for you and your friends to go!" I figured "challenge accepted" and here we are. :)

Hi all! I booked this trip awhile ago, bought my airfare just after Christmas.... and finally convinced a friend to join me (the other is still negotiating with her husband). We'll be there May 6-9 at BWV.

I'd tried to convince my husband that we should sell our small point BWV contract but he came back with "but it's so useful for you and your friends to go!" I figured "challenge accepted" and here we are. :)
:thumbsup2 Just added you to the list!

DD18 and I will be in WDW starting May 22. Just going for a quick 3 night trip after she finishes her finals. I booked us at Poly (dvc). I was going to waitlist Boardwalk or something else to save points but I just like to see the castle from our hotel, so I cancelled our waitlists. I’m thinking getting park hoppers and being close to MK will give us a better chance to try Tron on our trip.

I wish Disney would announce the next set of dates for the after hours events. I am debating on doing the after hour paid events vs. the extended hours for deluxe guests. It’s hard to try to plan such a short trip not knowing the schedule yet. I am also hoping to squeeze in a tour ( Wild Trek Africa or Keys to the Kingdom) and a massage at GF.

I can’t wait to get back to Disney!

DD18 and I will be in WDW starting May 22. Just going for a quick 3 night trip after she finishes her finals. I booked us at Poly (dvc). I was going to waitlist Boardwalk or something else to save points but I just like to see the castle from our hotel, so I cancelled our waitlists. I’m thinking getting park hoppers and being close to MK will give us a better chance to try Tron on our trip.

I wish Disney would announce the next set of dates for the after hours events. I am debating on doing the after hour paid events vs. the extended hours for deluxe guests. It’s hard to try to plan such a short trip not knowing the schedule yet. I am also hoping to squeeze in a tour ( Wild Trek Africa or Keys to the Kingdom) and a massage at GF.

I can’t wait to get back to Disney!
:thumbsup2 Just added you to the list! I'm on the fence about the After Hours. I'm considering the HS AH and since we're DVC, I get a $30 discount but I'm definitely not a night owl and DH refuses to do it. He's done it once and he won't do it again, so if I did go, I would go solo.:sad2: If it were during the holiday season, I would more likely do it because of the decorations. That's when we did it last time and it's like a bonus. I am also waiting on dates to decide. I will definitely do the EP EEH as I can just walk there. I love that about the Epcot resorts. I don't mind popping over there by myself and it won't cost me more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter