Non-park day ideas?

nighttowll

DIS Veteran
We will have an entire week in February, Sat to Sat. I was hoping it might be warm enough to swim as last year that week was in the 80's, but temps are averaging almost 10 degree cooler this year if you compare dates, so it looks like swimming probably won't be happening.

I know we don't need a full 6 days in the off season. We may do mini golf or the escape room or both, I'm not sure.

I was also thinking of maybe doing AK one day or SW. MK has a crowd level of 2 on one of our days which just seems unreal, but I'm going with my oldest who doesn't care for MK, and also I'm not sure I am up for all the planning that MK would entail. We prefer a more relaxed trip hence our defection to the dark side years ago. Still, I thought it might be fun to do one day at Disney since it has been so long since we have been and crowds are forecasted to be so low.

I just can't decide, usually we mix in a number of low cost or free trips in the area like visiting Winter Garden or taking a walk in the orange groves, or we do day trips to other places. This trip, however, is the first trip in over 10 years where we won't have a car, and I don't plan on renting one. I'm thinking rather than a bunch of smaller activities, it would be easier to Uber somewhere early morning and stay all day. Disney seemed a good option as we could add in Disney Springs for dinner which I haven't visited in years, but it is just so expensive.

Any ideas? Advice?

Maybe there are some fun new places in the area that have opened in the last few years? It's so hard to search on TripAdvisor as all the entries are flooded referencing individual attractions in big parks.

Maybe something inside with heat? That might end up being appreciated if it is in the 60s like some of the forecasts are predicting.

I wanted to reach out to the Universal side of things on here because Universal is a different kind of touring, so that's more what we are looking for, not a marathon.

Thanks

We take numerous weekend/long weekend trips to UO. But during our week-long stays, we usually use one of those days to Lyft/Uber to Disney Springs (averages $20-$30 each way and about 25 minutes) and peruse through the shops, eat and do some sight-seeing. Then we hop on whichever deluxe resort bus comes first and visit the monorail resorts (and usually also Wilderness Lodge which is our favorite). We usually end up having dinner at a quick service or table service restaurant at one of these resorts. It gives us a good Disney fix. There are many other options outside of the theme park bubbles as well but we tend to stick to the bubbles. I’m sure other people will chime in for other ideas to get some more options.

Honestly I would rent a car. Adding up the cost for transportation from the airport to Universal and back again and going from your Universal hotel to other area attractions you mentioned like Disney, SW, maybe even something a little further out like Kennedy Space Center you might be spending less as a lot of times the rental companies offer great deals for example you can sign up for free to be an Alamo Insider and get discounts and it is so easy to get the car at the airport. Even if about the same or slightly more you get the added bonus of being able to come and go when you want.

We will have an entire week in February, Sat to Sat. I was hoping it might be warm enough to swim as last year that week was in the 80's, but temps are averaging almost 10 degree cooler this year if you compare dates, so it looks like swimming probably won't be happening.

I know we don't need a full 6 days in the off season. We may do mini golf or the escape room or both, I'm not sure.

I was also thinking of maybe doing AK one day or SW. MK has a crowd level of 2 on one of our days which just seems unreal, but I'm going with my oldest who doesn't care for MK, and also I'm not sure I am up for all the planning that MK would entail. We prefer a more relaxed trip hence our defection to the dark side years ago. Still, I thought it might be fun to do one day at Disney since it has been so long since we have been and crowds are forecasted to be so low.

I just can't decide, usually we mix in a number of low cost or free trips in the area like visiting Winter Garden or taking a walk in the orange groves, or we do day trips to other places. This trip, however, is the first trip in over 10 years where we won't have a car, and I don't plan on renting one. I'm thinking rather than a bunch of smaller activities, it would be easier to Uber somewhere early morning and stay all day. Disney seemed a good option as we could add in Disney Springs for dinner which I haven't visited in years, but it is just so expensive.

Any ideas? Advice?

Maybe there are some fun new places in the area that have opened in the last few years? It's so hard to search on TripAdvisor as all the entries are flooded referencing individual attractions in big parks.

Maybe something inside with heat? That might end up being appreciated if it is in the 60s like some of the forecasts are predicting.

I wanted to reach out to the Universal side of things on here because Universal is a different kind of touring, so that's more what we are looking for, not a marathon.

Thanks
Rent a car for the day and head to beaches or explore some other places. We loved Tarpon Springs, Clearwater Beach and Gulf Port Or head to one of the 3 state parks close to Orlando and see the manatees.

I'm not worried about paying for Ubers. Just not planning on doing that every other day. I hate driving, and I remember how bad Orlando traffic is from when I use to live there. Part of my vacation is getting a break from driving, so I'm not renting a car. I just don't want to drive. I guess if we had to I might let my oldest chauffeur me around, but after I paid for the car and parking at Universal ($21/night) plus parking wherever we go, I can't see that being cheaper than just Ubering there and a lot less hassle.

Really just looking for ideas around the Orlando area, something new to try.

Right now, I'm still leaning towards AK. It closes at 5 or 6, so we could do a day trip there, then take Disney transportation to Disney Springs for free and eat dinner and shop before returning to Universal. I wouldn't think that would run over $60 round trip, and tickets for AK aren't much over $100, so since we aren't paying for Universal tickets, that's not too bad.

If oldest doesn't want to do AK, we might do SW or just Disney Springs. Monday, Universal closes early at 5, so that would be a good night to go off property somewhere.

I'm not worried about paying for Ubers. Just not planning on doing that every other day. I hate driving, and I remember how bad Orlando traffic is from when I use to live there. Part of my vacation is getting a break from driving, so I'm not renting a car. I just don't want to drive. I guess if we had to I might let my oldest chauffeur me around, but after I paid for the car and parking at Universal ($21/night) plus parking wherever we go, I can't see that being cheaper than just Ubering there and a lot less hassle.
Yeah I agree 100%. Uber is just so much easier for the most part and the cost to park is ridiculous.

You an always rent a car for a day if you really needed to - I think all the hotels at universal have a car rental desk.

Agreed as well - we might rent a car for a day if we're significantly leaving the area, but once we get to Universal, it is much cheaper to grab an Uber as needed than to pay for the rental, parking, etc. They're so plentiful, it's not like you're waiting on them.

I would say SW or AK. For cheaper, you might look at Wonderworks & a fun meal on I-drive somewhere. Although, with some of the deals, you can get a nice reasonably priced day at SW and those coasters always do call my name...

Agreed as well - we might rent a car for a day if we're significantly leaving the area, but once we get to Universal, it is much cheaper to grab an Uber as needed than to pay for the rental, parking, etc. They're so plentiful, it's not like you're waiting on them.

I would say SW or AK. For cheaper, you might look at Wonderworks & a fun meal on I-drive somewhere. Although, with some of the deals, you can get a nice reasonably priced day at SW and those coasters always do call my name...

The kids loved Wonderworks when they were little, but this is an adult only trip, so I think we are past that now.

It will just be me and my oldest (23). Excited to spend some time with her. I don't get to see her much anymore. She grew up and moved 6 hours away!

A fun meal might work, we do enjoy Medieval Times. We find it ridiculously corny. Extremely fake, but that's part of the charm for us, or I know people were talking about a Brazilian steak house that's not too far way.

Or maybe we'll do a spa day somewhere. Anyone know any good places? I looked when I was there in November, but I just kept finding sketchy places that looked like they would have happy endings, not what I wanted at all. The one in PB is way too high!

Just collecting ideas. Once I have a few good ones, I will run them by her to see her preference.

Or maybe we'll do a spa day somewhere. Anyone know any good places? I looked when I was there in November, but I just kept finding sketchy places that looked like they would have happy endings, not what I wanted at all. The one in PB is way too high!
Just throwing this out there if you have a premiere level AP… you get a 20% discount at PBH’s spa (Mandara). I think the preferred gives you a 10% discount. My sister and I went there over the summer for a massage and had a lovely experience. You’ll have access to their spa’s hot tub, sauna, etc for the remainder of the day.

If you're ok spending a little money I think a visit to SW or AK could be great.
SeaWorld has a lot of great coasters so if you to like them it would be a great choice. Animal Kingdom is personally my favorite park there and if you haven't been in over 10 years then be some new stuff like Pandora. Plus as mentioned can go to Disney Springs after. During longer Universal trips we have often put in a day at the Disney Resort without going to the parks. Uber to either DS or the TTC and monorail around to the resorts and take the Disney busses between them and DS. Lots of shops to walk through there, tons of food options, their new Cirque show is good too. It's easy to fill up a day with all of that if you really want to. Just kind of depends on how much you want to spend.

I have seen Pandora once during the first year it was open. I thought the general land looked amazing, but I don't remember caring for the rides all that much, especially Flight of Passage. I think I enjoyed the boat ride, but I may be mixing it up with the Frozen boat ride which I really liked.

SW we love, but it looks like they have changed most of their shows, so I'm not sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter