No way for the 2008 DP!

hey linda, not stalking you just happened to log on for F&W info. Hows it going? Were heading over to do some sampling:hippie:

Come on- a box of donuts or a gallon of milk is NOT a snack.

You might want to complain to Disney about that, since the box of donuts was clearly marked as a DDP snack on our trip in December. :sad2: How is that taking advantage? We only used our snack credits for items clearly marked as DDP snack options. And, we used our snack credits up first yet had CS left over.

I think it all evens out with the DDP for Disney in the end, especially when you consider the people that that are totally clueless about what there credits are. Some people use them to the best advantage, others leave without using TS credits.

OP- I think you are right on the money. I think when the savings is limited and people are inconvenienced by lack of spontaneity in their park touring, there will be a huge decline in DDP sales. Except the deluxe. There are always people who go all out for vacation. But I think the majority will go back to mainly CS with a little TS once in a while OOP.

If they charge for the ME I will rent a car for around $100 with coupon codes instead. And that will be Disney's loss because I will be buying more meals, souvenirs, and entertainment outside of WDW. I really think their "free" ME costs me way more in the long run, but the relaxation aspect of not driving sucks me in for now- as long as it's free.

Bonz, I am in awe of you being back there so very soon. I would be jealous but instead I am happy for you.

Hope you get some good samples and feel free to stalk away but I hope you do not get bored to death in the process.

Tornado warnings all around here today so you are better off down there, away from harms way.

SG/Linda

You might want to complain to Disney about that, since the box of donuts was clearly marked as a DDP snack on our trip in December. :sad2: How is that taking advantage? We only used our snack credits for items clearly marked as DDP snack options. And, we used our snack credits up first yet had CS left over.

I think the problem with the idea that anything under $4.00 was a snack..was that the resort cashiers didn't enforce that. They certainly could have said.."no"...that's not a snack.

I'm respectfully disagreeing with the first part of your post :) , I don't see how anyone took advantage of the under $4 thing when Disney marked them as snacks :confused3.

I guess I should have phrased my comment differently. It is a fault with Disney. I don't know how this $4 rule came about, and how it was perpetuate. I just think somehow the policy extended beyond "snacks" and I'm worried disney is going to restrict it back to the original policy (or atleast the one listed in the dining brochure). Of course if they did that, then I'm sure a lot more people would not buy it. :flower3:

It is a legitimate concern -- the manner in which folks use service offerings definitely will drive changes in the offerings themselves going forward. As my statement indicates, that's true generally, so much so that it isn't really in our purvey as regular folks to seriously worry about it at that level, beyond expecting folks to honor their obligations to use service offerings are they're intended, and not take advantage of lenient or lack of enforcement to exploit offerings.

Beyond that, I don't think that the rules regarding snacks have much impact on how many folks purchasing the Dining Plan, despite claims to the contrary by big Snack Credit fans.

I am disappointed that they took some things away. Especially since I am going in 08. I did still get the DP only cause I am spoiled by all inclusive vacations I have taken in the past and like the idea of not carrying so much cash with me while away. I want everything taken care of before I go and not have to pay for many things OOP while there. The good thing now is that the money I do take, is mostly for souvenirs.

That is exactly what I thought was great about the dining plan when we went in May. We never had used a dining plan before..so it was the first time. I don't see it as being especially convenient with the changes. Now I will have to anticipate bringing enough money to cover gratuities and also pay out of pocket for appetizers. It was much simplier when it included everything..and if you decided to leave a little something more..that was fine. I loved the ease of not having to determine the tip. None of the "should we give 15 or 20 percent"..it was done..it was added. We ate and we walked away. With the plan the way it is now..it just complicates things as far as I'm concerned. I agree with previous posters who indicate they would have rather seen them just raise the price and keep the plan the way it was. Now..it's sort of an all inclusive..but not really. DUMB.

Wow, I'm really amazed at all the posts that suggest that the DP offers so much food with the dining plan...maybe I went at the wrong time, but I found the DP to be very small portions.....I ALWAYS left feeling hungry. I'm not a large person in any way.....There was only one time on our 7 day trip that I actually felt full and that was after our meal on our last day at LTT.

I woulnd't say the food was excessive at any of the restaurants we tried, including but not limited to CS, CR, MM, and TTS.

Wow, I'm really amazed at all the posts that suggest that the DP offers so much food with the dining plan...maybe I went at the wrong time, but I found the DP to be very small portions.....I ALWAYS left feeling hungry. I'm not a large person in any way.....There was only one time on our 7 day trip that I actually felt full and that was after our meal on our last day at LTT.

I woulnd't say the food was excessive at any of the restaurants we tried, including but not limited to CS, CR, MM, and TTS.

This shocks me.

We used the DDP last year, and are using it again in December. As a pretty budgeted family, it was a way to spoil myself with fancy food and have my daughter do the character dinners. If we go back in 2008 (fingers crossed) I think we will bring lots of snacks and hit the CS. Bummer too, cause I was getting mighty spoiled!

I am not a large person, but I did not feel it was possible to over-eat on the old plan. I found myself hungry after almost every meal....I thought the portions (with expception of LTT) were small- too small to make me feel full.

Does anyone know if free dining will be offered in October of 2008? That's when we are doing our return trip and I would like to know before I start getting fully locked up with plans and reservations. If anyone is aware, I would would appreciate the heads up. Thanks!

WOW!!!!

I am a very big girl and I have to say other than Cape May Cafe, there was not a meal that I didn't walk away feeling like some should roll me home like I was Violet Beauregarde.

I would doubt they would offer Free DDP in October because they have the F&W to bring them in.

We had the Free DDP this past September and I have to say that it was great. But I don't think I would pay for it. Now that we are all adults, that would be just shy of $160 a day for us. Before this trip we only did 2 or 3 TS during a trip.

By the end of our trip we each still had a left over CS. And ended up buying 30 items of candy because we never got around to our snack credits. My mom actually turned around in line at Casey's corner and ask this fella what he wanted and bought him lunch with her credits. NO FLAMES PLEASE

I agree with a PP that instead of Just Dessert, they should offer a "pick one". Either Appi or Zert. That way people could share each and everyone could get both.

We also found that the Dining Plan was an incredible amount of food -- far far more than we should have eaten. While entree sizes were reasonable, having each one of us have our own appetizer and our own dessert resulted in much-too-much.

Your kidding right? I'm a HUGE eater and frankly, generally leave any of the meals with food still on my plate. Considering quite a few of the TS meals are buffet style, or all you can eat, I'm really not understanding these comments. :confused:

Anyway, in regards to the initial post. I'm also :confused: regarding why anyone thinks the plan is STILL not a great deal even without tip and appetizer? Seriously, we just planned out our 2008 April trip, and bought the plan again. Maybe we just eat differently, but considering we do a character meal each day, along with a CS and snack, the plan still saves us a few hundred over paying out of pocket.

Anyway, in regards to the initial post. I'm also :confused: regarding why anyone thinks the plan is STILL not a great deal even without tip and appetizer? Seriously, we just planned out our 2008 April trip, and bought the plan again. Maybe we just eat differently, but considering we do a character meal each day, along with a CS and snack, the plan still saves us a few hundred over paying out of pocket.

I think you need to do your arithmetic again. I can't see how you can save hundreds on the new 2008 plan. Now, maybe, you will be stiffing your waiter with no tip on the 2008 plan; that's your choice. I know some people don't feel tipping is important at buffets; again, it's a matter of choice. If you do the tip standard of 18% for Table Service (buffet or other), that will be out of pocket with the 2008 plan. So, if your total bill is $100 for table service, you will be leaving $18 out of pocket for the standard tip. If you order an appetizer, you are OOP for it, as well. You have more choices of places off the plan, too. I would have a good chance of no reservation necessary for the places off the plan for table service where on the plan I'm controlled by a schedule with set times for table service. Also, I can do a lunch table service and save money there without the plan. I can go with the DDE card and get a deal on that plan which I think will be more attractive to do in 2008.

If you are happy with the new plan more power to you. I think the main thrust of this post is to say it's not as good as the old plan; that's all.

I think you need to do your arithmetic again. I can't see how you can save hundreds on the new 2008 plan. Now, maybe, you will be stiffing your waiter with no tip on the 2008 plan; that's your choice. I know some people don't feel tipping is important at buffets; again, it's a matter of choice. If you do the tip standard of 18% for Table Service (buffet or other), that will be out of pocket with the 2008 plan. So, if your total bill is $100 for table service, you will be leaving $18 out of pocket for the standard tip. If you order an appetizer, you are OOP for it, as well. You have more choices of places off the plan, too. I would have a good chance of no reservation necessary for the places off the plan for table service where on the plan I'm controlled by a schedule with set times for table service. Also, I can do a lunch table service and save money there without the plan. I can go with the DDE card and get a deal on that plan which I think will be more attractive to do in 2008.

If you are happy with the new plan more power to you. I think the main thrust of this post is to say it's not as good as the old plan; that's all.

Maybe I should take offense to the "stiffing your waiter" statement, but I'll HOPE it wasn't meant seriously.

Either way, for our family at least, it is still an amazing deal. We enjoy the TS meals and as I said, do character meals at least once per day. Considering each of these is usually $100 a day alone, along with at least $30 for a CS meal, the plan still "works" for us. Now granted, we usually don't eat appetizers as the meal is more than enough, so to be honest, I could care less about that change.

As far as the tips, yes, I tip appropriately. For me, that is 15-20%, no idea how 18 has now become "standard", depending on level of service. As far as buffets? It really depends. If the waiter is bringing me only drinks, 10% is my norm.

The question regarding which year provides a better value is pretty obvious, and irrelevant to guests trying to make the decision in the best interest of their enjoyment of their vacation experience: There isn't really a choice between the two. If you arrive in 2007, you will get the 2007 rules. If you arrive in 2008, you will get the 2008 rules. The choice folks have is between the Dining Plan (really among the Dining Plans) and paying for food OOP.

Folks need to evaluate the Dining Plan that applies during the time they intend to visit and decide whether THAT version of the Dining Plan is a better deal than paying OOP for everything.

I agree, since when did 18% become standard? And really shouldn't tip amount depend on service? Don't get me wrong, I often tip atleast 20%, especially at cheaper places when I know the wait staff is getting shafted (is that a word I can use on here?)

When I did the math, we're saving 40-60 dollars for 2 adults. True it's not a super amount, but it's still savings. I'd be paying tip if I was paying OOP. And this way, we can share an app (oh wow $5-10 extra, it's not that bad) if we want.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the 2007 plan, but I'm not going to knock the 2008 plan until I try it and see if it's worth it. If I lose a little money this, I won't do it next time (although next time will most likely be our honeymoon and then I'm going deluxe baby!)

:mad:

I just can't see it. Sure the price hasn't gone up, but no appetizer and no gratuity just takes away all the advantages of being on the plan. I would tip extra, but I loved having the base tip included. I never had bad service and I even went during free dining.

I know you can overeat on the plan, but I think that should be an individual's choice. I loved trying different appetizers. That had true appeal to me being part of the plan. It seems more exotic to me. I loved sharing appetizers with each other, too.

There's no really new restaurants (You can't count Tusker House, Japan or Italy) being added to make the variety better on the plan.

I don't have to tip on counter service and I don't need reservations; so, I honestly think I'll just do two counter service meals now with an occassional Table Service meal. They can keep the 2008 dining plan.

I agree with you a 100%. I think tha the waiters and waitresses are going to lose out. I also tip well and have given extra, but I think that they are not going to get 18% all the time. Most Americans tip well but poeple from other countries do not. Also a lot of older people do not as well. I think that the waiters and waitresses are going to be disappointed when they are tipped on meny occasions. Also I think that the cost is not worth it any more, whenyou break it down to cost. A lot of people do the Charecter buffet and stuff and that is where they were really making the money with people using the dinning plan. Now I will just pay cash and will save money. I would also eat outside of the resorts.:mad:

Using your example (and some estimations and rounding):

Out of pocket:

TS:
$30 x 2 = $60 (meal)
$6 x 2 = $12 (dessert)
3 x 2 = $6 (drinks)
Tax = $5
Tip = $14

Total TS: $97

CS:
$8 x 2 = $16 (meal)
$3 x 2 = $6 (dessert)
$3 x 2 = $6 (drinks)
Tax = $2

Total CS = $30

Snack:

$3 x 2 = $6
Tax = .40

Total Snack: $6.40

Total OOP for the day = 133.40

DDP Cost:

37.99 x 2 = 75.98
Tip at CS: 14

Total DDP cost for the day: $89.98

Doesn't seem to equal out to me. A LOT of the value is going to depend on what you order for an entree at your TS choice (because it will effect tax AND tip). But even if you order the $20 entree choice, you're going to come out ahead....granted by about $10 per person, per day.

It's not the OVERWHELMING value it used to be, but you're still able to save money. There are disadvantages (you have to prepay unless you're a DVC owner, you have to forgo the room discount for free dining, etc), and you have to decide if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for you. It's not he slam dunk decision it used to be, true. But it can still provide value over the alternatives.
Good anaylysis, one that everyone considering the plan should do. Looked at objectively, there is still savings to be had with the new plan as compared to OOP, but that doesn't mean that the new plan is still worth doing for everyone who did the DDP before. We have used the DDP and it has forced us to alter our eating style, and not necessarily in a good way. Not being able to eat certain places we ate before, more counter service meals that we used to eat, stuff like that. However, for the large savings the plan provided in the past we could accept that. Now that the savings is smaller, it may not be worth it. Add to that the fact that there may be other discounts available (such as DDE) that might not have provided a bigger discount than the old DDP but do give a bigger discount than the new DDP, well, there may be lots of reasons for lots of people to pass on the new plan. That doesn't mean there won't still be a large number of people that the new plan suits just fine.......we just won't be one of them.

We've seen it before, and I'm sure we'll see it again. There was a time when Food and Fun was an incredible program that saved you a lot and really was something to look forward to. Then they changed it to something else, curtailing a lot of the value the original plan had. Shortly thereafter the Food and Fun plan disappeared. Might we see the same with the DDP? I wouldn't be surprised.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter