No way for the 2008 DP!

I would agree that financially, it will be tough to come out more than 10% ahead over OOP, but convenience wise- it's still a great concept. Just wish there was more value to the plan.

I'd rather see the cost go up $10 bucks a day but cover the tip and the appy.

I am leaving this Thursday and we had the DDP. I'm looking forward to the financial value of the 2007 plan.

I agree with you 100%. I would rather see the price go up somewhat to cover the cost of the appetizer and tip. I would prefer to have everything included and to not have to worry about paying for the appetizer and tip.

I don't mind paying extra for the tip but I do wish they would give you the option of either the appetizer or the dessert. We don't always even eat the dessert on the DP since we're full in most cases and I practically never order a dessert when we go out to a restaurant. But we always order appetizers. I would like the option of one or the other.

I will also not use the plan unless it is free. Sure, I can save money if I work at it, but doesn't that take away a lot of the convenience? The only value I can see in it is the "convenience" of a package deal. Many people will still enjoy the fact that the food is still paid for up front.

The plan does not look like such a hot deal for us in 2008. Especially with all the cutting out and removing items from the menus this year. I know restaurants feel the need to make changes in order to stay profitable but when WILL it cease????:mad:

Servers might as well plan on it--they're going to be short-changed going forward when anyone is on the DDP.

I can only imagine what the server's reaction will be when they find out a table is on DDP. Service likely will decline precipitously for those on DDP.

And, by the way -- the price of DDP has gone up -- by over 20% (when you calculate removal of the 18% tip and the appetizers). That's as much a price increase as if they had kept the plan as is and raised the adult one night cost $48 from $38.

For me it was more the all inclusive nature that made it work. Now it isn't all inclusive so I'll need to pay for items like apps. OOP as well as the tip--I may as well carry my credit card and do things my own way. I rarely use my KTTW card because that is just a creative way for Disney to not pay the credit card a % for each transaction but rather one fee for everything, plus if I leave really early I can't go over my charges, so I just charge everything separately, have the reciept and am certain of my charges. I dont' want to deal with tips in one place, OOP expenses in one place and keep track of credits, and I like the total freedom I get from not using the the DDP.

I would agree that financially, it will be tough to come out more than 10% ahead over OOP, but convenience wise- it's still a great concept. Just wish there was more value to the plan.

I'd rather see the cost go up $10 bucks a day but cover the tip and the appy.

I am leaving this Thursday and we had the DDP. I'm looking forward to the financial value of the 2007 plan.

I agree, I would have preferred that they raise the price and keep it the way it was. I think it's annoying to have to now add on the tip..and miss the appetizers. Which..we probably would not order one for each person but split them. If they were going to cut something, I would have preferred they cut out the dessert..as we usually share deserts anyway. Although, I'm sure that was the point. You are certainly more tempted to order the appetizers(and have to pay for them) in the begginning of the meal. They wouldn't get as many people ordering the desserts and paying for those.

My one concern is snack crackdowns. I heard they were going to stiffen the rules since many people were taking advantage of the "anything" under $4. Come on- a box of donuts or a gallon of milk is NOT a snack. Don't get me wrong I don't want a strict interpretation of the rules either--I still want to get a kaki gori or a dole whip. So I'm worried when I go down in january I won't be able to...

And I hate to be the party pooper but I think we all kinda asked for this. When asked for the cons of the DDP, most people said "too much food" and "declining service."
So what did disney do...they removed the appetizer and took away the automatic gratuity, so now servers have to "earn it." They don't automatically get 18% regardless of service quality. (Of course I'm sure this is not the only reason but it makes sense). They took the appetizer because it's cheaper and easier to make dessert (you make a whole cake as opposed to an individual slice). Of course, being a money making machine, they weren't going discount us that much so they lowered a price a measly dollar, which stinks, but what do you expect, everything is overpriced!

I think it's a value if you make it that way, and can be a loss if you make it one.

With the new changes, does anyone see Disney offering the free DP again this year in September (besides the bounceback)?

My one concern is snack crackdowns. I heard they were going to stiffen the rules since many people were taking advantage of the "anything" under $4. Come on- a box of donuts or a gallon of milk is NOT a snack. Don't get me wrong I don't want a strict interpretation of the rules either--I still want to get a kaki gori or a dole whip. So I'm worried when I go down in january I won't be able to...

And I hate to be the party pooper but I think we all kinda asked for this. When asked for the cons of the DDP, most people said "too much food" and "declining service."
So what did disney do...they removed the appetizer and took away the automatic gratuity, so now servers have to "earn it." They don't automatically get 18% regardless of service quality. (Of course I'm sure this is not the only reason but it makes sense). They took the appetizer because it's cheaper and easier to make dessert (you make a whole cake as opposed to an individual slice). Of course, being a money making machine, they weren't going discount us that much so they lowered a price a measly dollar, which stinks, but what do you expect, everything is overpriced!

I think it's a value if you make it that way, and can be a loss if you make it one.

I'm respectfully disagreeing with the first part of your post :) , I don't see how anyone took advantage of the under $4 thing when Disney marked them as snacks :confused3.

I think it's a value if you make it that way, and can be a loss if you make it
one.

I think the problem with the idea that anything under $4.00 was a snack..was that the resort cashiers didn't enforce that. They certainly could have said.."no"...that's not a snack. I had it happen to us at the WL...where one day the cashier would allow a soup instead of a desert on the counter service meal..and then the next day a clerk didn't. There was no consistency. I don't know if you can blame the guest for that. As far as the donuts..honestly I could see that an exception should be made if you are staying at campground..FW. As you don't have as many snack options as you do at the resorts. They don't offer a food court..it's mostly what you buy at the "trading posts/gift shops". Those guests staying in the cabins which go for over $300.00 a night really get stiffed if they are on the dining plan.. as far as what they are going to be able to eat on site at their resort. Options are limited. They have the Trails End..which is cafateria style..which would be a more counter service meal as far as I'm concerned, but they'd have to use a table service credit to eat there. As far as snacks they are limited to what they can buy packaged in the gift shops...so say a box of dounuts might be an option at that particular resort..but in my opinion should not at the hotels.

I'm glad we did the dining plan this past May. We loved the convenience of it..and it was a very good value for a family of 5...all adult sized. I'm not so sure I'd do it again with the appetizers gone..that was half the fun for us..trying different things that we might not had otherwise. If I'm gonna pay for the appetizerss and the tip, I may as well just pay for the meals..or acutally I'm thinking that the DDE card may be a better option for us. Giving us a discount on the meal itself. I'd really have to think about it before adding it..where as last trip it I didn't hesitate.

My one concern is snack crackdowns. I heard they were going to stiffen the rules since many people were taking advantage of the "anything" under $4.
I wouldn't rely on anything that we just "heard". There as as much, if not more, misinformation out there as there is information... especially with regard to things that won't happen for another couple of months!

Yes, good point.

I am really concerned here with the responses I'm seeing. We did the DDP in April and we thought it was a great way to save a few bucks....I did read and am aware that the 2008 plan will not have tips included, but I either did not see or pay attention that appetizers will also be excluded??

I am not a large person, but I did not feel it was possible to over-eat on the old plan. I found myself hungry after almost every meal....I thought the portions (with expception of LTT) were small- too small to make me feel full.

Does anyone know if free dining will be offered in October of 2008? That's when we are doing our return trip and I would like to know before I start getting fully locked up with plans and reservations. If anyone is aware, I would would appreciate the heads up. Thanks!

I did read and am aware that the 2008 plan will not have tips included, but I either did not see or pay attention that appetizers will also be excluded??
That is correct. Neither tips nor appetizers are included in the standard Dining Plan for 2008. Instead of it being an outrageous bargain for most, it now averages out to a mild bargain for some.

I wouldn't rely on anything that we just "heard". There as as much, if not more, misinformation out there as there is information... especially with regard to things that won't happen for another couple of months!

While we may know "for sure" by then...I'll be one of the guinea pigs for the new plan. We're arriving at WDW on Jan 5th.....the "snack" question is one of the burning questions left about the new plan, so I'll be sure to report back "live" about our experiences to let everyone know.

Looking at the wording in the '06 and '07 plans, and comparing them with the wording in the '08 plan...other than some gramatic and word order changes, they look to say the exact same thing. Given that, I'm not too worried....

People need to remeber you can still get the appts & dests with the dulx plan.. yes its more money but you get 3 credits per day to eat esestionally anywhere you want... and still have plenty of credits if you want to eat at the signature meals like we plan to do... plus you get the 2 snack credits perday... :) a lot of food yes... but there is no law you HAVE to eat everything on your plate or order a appt and a dest... with everymeal...

I for one am glad to not have tips included. Tipping is a privledge earned based on service recieved. I suspect service is going to improve considerably in 2008 and I am glad I have the control over the tipping portion. Dh and I are going to WDW alone in April with no kids. We are treating ourselves with the Deluxe Dining plan. We are hitting all the nice 2 credit places we would never take the kids. The deluxe plan would be too expensive for our family of five so the regular one will suffice when the kids are with us. The appetizer was too much food anyways. I always consistently saw people on the board complaining of the plan offering too much food so I believe Disney has a plan in place that will please most people.

We just returned from a 24 day trip on the Free Dining and we did 21 days last year.

The Dining package has benefits and disadvantages and it all depends upon your own personal point of view.

The Dining Plan gives you a chance to try restaurants that you might not have considered before and the convenience of not having to carry much money (this year's version) and if you are a big eater you will probably save a lot of money. Also if you get a bad meal you do not feel nearly as bad as you might if you were shelling out $100 plus of your hard earned bucks instead of getting it 'free' or with the card. (which might not feel as much like REAL money) :banana:

However, you also tend to have to plan your vacation around food (which might suit some folks just fine:) ), you spend a lot of time in the sit down restaurants as a rule and you might eat more than you really should or even want. Many folks report on having extra credits left over that they either have to forfeit, find someone to give them to or buy stuff that they do not really want in order not to 'waste' them.

Free Dining is a whole other category from the Dining Plan to my way of thinking. I gave up a $30 room discount to feed both my husband and I and even as cheap as I am that is less than we usually spend a day ($50 average) so it was a bargain, if you do not count having to go when it was so hot that you did not really feel like eating at all. :scared1:

We will not be doing it again next year as the weather was unbearable both years and vacation is not fun when you are miserable. I would rather pay a bit more a day, eat at counter services without having ressies and/or tips to consider and enjoy myself. :thumbsup2

I have seen lots of reports complaining about the service staff and being 'forced' to give a mandatory 18% tip but I have rarely gotten bad service either OP or on the DP. What I have noticed is a marked decline in the quality of food being served and it is my humble opinion that a lot of that is caused by the DP. Maybe someone else knows if the menus change back when there is not FREE dining?

Every server I talked to (I have been in the business myself) was not in favor of doing away with the tips with the DP. When you do the math you can well see why not. I inquired as to how many tables they had and turnover and have come to the conclusion that they can easily make $50-60 an hour. I feel that many will stiff the waitstaff if they take the tips away cause many might not know that tips are not included or just leave less. (On the other side, I know for a fact that many were tipping an additional 15% plus on the DP cause they did not realize it was included.)

My wish would be for a DP with CS's but then they would probably be overflowing with customers and not as easy to get into either. :confused3

Whatever works for you, I hope you get it. :wizard:

Slightly Goofy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter