News Round Up 2020

Just don't dare too big because Chapek is cutting your budget.
Exactly -- I don't see the penny pushers really letting parks have the budget to do much new for years to come. The parks have been a huge liability for them during COVID -- and it could be years before tourism comes back to pre-covid levels. (especially with this second wave blasting through the world).

But if they do spend big .. hey bonus for us who still want to vacation there.

I am STILL surprised as many things ARE moving forward (like the Star Wars hotel).

I do feel that Disney will come up with some fun, creative entertainment options that may "weather" another storm like this better. It will just take time. Maybe we'll see the design of more options that don't involve crowding shoulder-to-shoulder in a central location for hours. (like these Cavalcades are pretty brilliant in my opinion).

Exactly -- I don't see the penny pushers really letting parks have the budget to do much new for years to come. The parks have been a huge liability for them during COVID -- and it could be years before tourism comes back to pre-covid levels. (especially with this second wave blasting through the world).

I am STILL surprised as many things ARE moving forward (like the Star Wars hotel).

I do feel that Disney will come up with some fun, creative entertainment options that may "weather" another storm like this better. It will just take time. Maybe we'll see the design of more options that don't involve crowding shoulder-to-shoulder in a central location for hours. (like these Cavalcades are pretty brilliant in my opinion).

well, Star Wars hotel was pretty far along and will directly bring in more $ so makes sense that they would finish that up

I suspect they will just space things that are already in progress longer - so instead of Rat, Tron, and Guardians all being done for the 50th, not maybe just Rat is and then Tron later in 2021/early 2022 and guardians and some basic improvements to Future world in time for EPCOT's 40th, then in 2023 maybe the retheme of Splash mountain

So basically nothing big and totally new until 2024 - which, hopefully by then, revenue is closer to pre-covid levels and they can justify investment in the parks more - and those "big dreams" can become a bit of a reality

Cars Route 66??? Is that also Paris? Carsland is my favorite Disney land in the US, and really shows what they can do in terms of immersion. As much as I like Batuu, I think the standard was set with Carsland.
It is replacing the studio tram tour at the Walt Disney Studios park at DLP. It's part of that park's expansion alongside Avengers Campus. (Also Galaxy'd Edge and Frozen land but not sure if Covid will have an impact on that expansion or not )

I think spending at WDW will return pretty quickly once we get to a sound place with the vaccine. I think DLR might be a different story.

People like to act like Chapek is a complete miser, but the large increases in spending at the parks when he was running them don't back up those claims. Operating expenses at Parks and Resorts increased almost 7% a year under Chapek. The number of hours worked by equity performers decreased, but everything else got injections of cash and employees.

Here is Laughing Place''s update on IAAPA Expo. Anybody know if the updates video has been uploaded yet?:
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/articles/2020/11/16/josh-damaro-iaapa-expo-live-blog/Apparently Ratatouille is 2021. Also happy that Splash Mountain retheme is still on the table (Love Princess and the Frog :) )

I really don't mind the retheme, but I do worry that they may try to do it on the cheap. It will need to be spectacular to win people over. A project like this deserves as much attention and as many resources as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter