• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2017

That's certainly a possibility. I think it's more likely they'll do an Early Morning Magic thing with both TSL and SW:GE and possibly the after hours thing as well. Depending on what they do with Jedi Training Academy, making that more like a stage show as well. But I'm not sure of the plans on that, I feel like something was said that it was getting a more permanent and indoor location. but I don't remember the details.
I don’t think it will be both. I think they’ll have specific packages just for Star Wars.

We'd need to know what kind of occupancy rate these hotels run before we can know the real effects. If they already run 90% plus and now go to a 100% occupancy at a higher rate then it Disney can justify the POP at $200/nt if everything close by off property with 60 day FP+ is full.
For a Disney hotel or others in the area I’m sure it’s incredibly hard to hit 100% due to the people always coming and going with the vacation structure of the area.

For a Disney hotel or others in the area I’m sure it’s incredibly hard to hit 100% due to the people always coming and going with the vacation structure of the area.

100% requires overbooking for most hotels regardless but if you're running over 97% occupancy you aren't discounting rooms.

I keep thinking - we really need to know how many rooms this is adding to the pool to be upset. They haven't really said how many hotels it is.

However, I don't get why everyone seems to feel they are "taking away a perk". They are limiting it to select hotels, you certainly can stay at those hotels if your only reason for staying on site is 60-day FP+. The perk is still remaining.

I do get why AP holders would be upset. It really is unfair that they aren't included in the 60 day pool. They should AT LEAST get an advantage over the 30-day pool. (Maybe AP holders get 45 days or something.)

Oh - and 85-90% occupancy in the hotel industry is considered fantastic. Some of the Disney hotels are able to hit that regularly, particularly the values and mods. I very much doubt any of the off-site hotels are that high. (I have no idea if Disney still hits it.)

I keep thinking - we really need to know how many rooms this is adding to the pool to be upset. They haven't really said how many hotels it is.

However, I don't get why everyone seems to feel they are "taking away a perk". They are limiting it to select hotels, you certainly can stay at those hotels if your only reason for staying on site is 60-day FP+. The perk is still remaining.

I do get why AP holders would be upset. It really is unfair that they aren't included in the 60 day pool. They should AT LEAST get an advantage over the 30-day pool. (Maybe AP holders get 45 days or something.)

Oh - and 85-90% occupancy in the hotel industry is considered fantastic. Some of the Disney hotels are able to hit that regularly, particularly the values and mods. I very much doubt any of the off-site hotels are that high. (I have no idea if Disney still hits it.)
On the last fiscal report Disney stated their occupancy was in the 85-90 range. They lump all the domestic hotels together so that includes Disneyland I believe.

Is it possible that something new could be coming down the pipe for resort guests with this change? More FPs? Pay for additional for resort guests? Etc etc

Is it possible that something new could be coming down the pipe for resort guests with this change? More FPs? Pay for additional for resort guests? Etc etc
I wouldn't mind getting one or two more.
I'd even be happy if they brought back late night EMH at Magic Kingdom. That seems super rare anymore and I lloovveedd the late night version over the early morning version.

I guess you don’t have to make it up to the resort guests but I can imagine something changing eventually on that side where a pay to play option comes in that offers more FPs available at 60 days.

I wouldn't mind getting one or two more.
I'd even be happy if they brought back late night EMH at Magic Kingdom. That seems super rare anymore and I lloovveedd the late night version over the early morning version.

Not that we can necessarily go that late anymore with two young children, but my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed being in MK until 3am when EMH ran from midnight until 3am our one visit.

Not that we can necessarily go that late anymore with two young children, but my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed being in MK until 3am when EMH ran from midnight until 3am our one visit.
Yeah, I prefer the late ones as well, usually meant you didn't feel like you were on the surface of the sun for a few hours.

It’s often been said the once in a lifetime visitor is the one who spends the most on a vacation because they are only there that one time. AP/DVC/frequent visitors are the ones who search for all the discounts they can and find ways to save as much as possible.
While this is true remember that DVC dropped thousands. Unless the average once in a lifetime visitor is dropping at least 30g then I can't see those visitors spending more than DVC.

While this is true remember that DVC dropped thousands. Unless the average once in a lifetime visitor is dropping at least 30g then I can't see those visitors spending more than DVC.
Don't know what the average is, but, this will be our third, and last, trip to WDW. In total, in hotel, food and flights (and wedding) we are currently at around £35k. Add on souvenirs and alcohol, and it's scary.

You are all assuming the Star Wars rides will get FP access...I'm betting none of the Star Wars attractions will have FP and it will be expensive tours or breakfast mornings/dessert evenings or book that $1K/night hotel or wait your butt in line...so no loss to expanding FP access to other hotels b/c the desired rides will not get it anyway...
I kind of assumed the same thing here. I also think that nighttime AK fp package is a test to see how much they can charge for tough to get FP. I would love to see them add some benefits for AP or DVC folks. Not just a 15% discount on said FP package. Even with that discount there is no way I would pay that for rides.

I understand that point. That money often is spread out over a much longer period of time though. Disney likes that instant money in the short term. DVC is hooked for the long term and they don’t need to market to them as much because Disney already has their pocket book. Those new customers are more appealing. I’d love to see numbers but of course we never will.

Don't know what the average is, but, this will be our third, and last, trip to WDW. In total, in hotel, food and flights (and wedding) we are currently at around £35k. Add on souvenirs and alcohol, and it's scary.
Keep in mind DVC also buy those same things plus the buy in. DVC may buy less food but they still have travel and souvenir costs as well. It has become insanely expensive to vacation at Disney. I refuse to pay hundreds for extra FP packages.

Keep in mind DVC also buy those same things plus the buy in. DVC may buy less food but they still have travel and souvenir costs as well. It has become insanely expensive to vacation at Disney. I refuse to pay hundreds for extra FP packages.
True but again DVC has discounts and may not spend as much on souvenirs because they will be back again.

I understand that point. That money often is spread out over a much longer period of time though. Disney likes that instant money in the short term. DVC is hooked for the long term and they don’t need to market to them as much because Disney already has their pocket book. Those new customers are more appealing. I’d love to see numbers but of course we never will.
Unless of course you pay the entire lump sum up front. ;)Plus the money spent every year or every other year to use those points.

Keep in mind £35k is about $47000 (given *slight* allowance for the increased rate for two trips) and if DVC are only getting three stays WITHOUT souvenirs and alcohol for that, then it's an even worse deal than I thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter