• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2017

Didn't some hotels off site used to have this benefit, and then it went away?

I wonder if their bookings suffered and they went back to Disney for a deal?

Interesting move.

I still wish they would give AP's 60 day windows.

The Hilton in Disney Springs used to have EMH privileges, that's what I was thinking of.
So this would be the first time any of them have had the 60 day privilege.
I wonder if they will offer magic bands now too? Or I guess its a nice shot at an up sell.

The Hilton in Disney Springs used to have EMH privileges, that's what I was thinking of.
So this would be the first time any of them have had the 60 day privilege.
I wonder if they will offer magic bands now too? Or I guess its a nice shot at an up sell.
I would say no to magicband because even Swan and Dolphin don’t get those. These offsite hotels don’t have MB room charging and RFID readers on each hotel room door.

I am not a fan of this at all. Why stay onsite if you get all the perks for cheaper offsite? I get especially irritated for DVC (which I own) and AP holders (which I will have before january) who spend more than the normal visitors and get less and less.

I am not a fan of this at all. Why stay onsite if you get all the perks for cheaper offsite? I get especially irritated for DVC (which I own) and AP holders (which I will have before january) who spend more than the normal visitors and get less and less.

Guess there is still Magical Express and the 180 + 10 days for ADRs (or do the good neighbors already get that?)

But yeah, you'd think they would want to increase the benefits to staying given the expected jacking up of prices once the gondolas are done and Toy Story Land and Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge are ccomplete

I don't know how I feel about this. Here's what I have thought of so far...

Off-site hotels should not have the same benefits as a Disney Resort. However, I see the argument for the resorts that are on Disney property over by Disney Springs since the Swan & Dolphin has the benefit. However, the Disney Springs Resort Hotels do not use Disney transportation and the Swan & Dolphin does. If Disney was going to transfer this benefit to off-property hotels, that's where I would have a problem.

The other issue I have is giving people benefits for not staying in your resorts over the people who give you money all year by purchasing an AP. The reason I am bringing this up is because I have heard so many AP holders at AK guest relations or by talking to the Pandora CM's saying that they can never get a fastpass for Flight of Passage or Na'vi River Journey at 30 days out. Then they check every day for the whole month just hoping. In many ways, WDW cares more about the traveler than their continued local base (which is why i continue to like the Disneyland Resort more since I used to live out there).

So, I'm going to hold my judgement until I see exactly which resorts are getting this benefit. Then I will decide if I don't like it or not.

I think it's great! This is one of the only reasons we stay at Pop or POR prior to moving over to DVC. Now I can stay close, still utilize Disney buses from either Disney Springs or Congress Park @ Saratoga, it's just a short walk. We've been deliberately giving less and less of our vacation dollars to Disney.

How do you know what your spending is vs. everyone else's? I mean, I'd love to hear the WDW client break downs! Not being ugly, but I think it could (or could not) be a jump.

Guess there is still Magical Express and the 180 + 10 days for ADRs (or do the good neighbors already get that?)

I can only speak to Swolphin, but they don't get ME, which isn't an issue FOR ME, so who cares? If I stay at YC or CR, I'm not using it. Not sure about the +10, I don't know where I'll live in half a year more or less plan a simple WDW trip then, but I'm sure there are people who can fill in. There are people like me though that find - value and would stay offsite regardless, so, like Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress is a pretty awesome deal. Both WDW and that property would prosper if offered EMH. Just a thought.

How do you know what your spending is vs. everyone else's? I mean, I'd love to hear the WDW client break downs! Not being ugly, but I think it could (or could not) be a jump.

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to spend less each trip. Now that I consistently stay in DVC studios, that's less money they're getting for breakfasts, random trips to the food court for snacks, and so on. For your other comment, I would figure you have status with SPG with all those Swolphin stays, and possibly other chains since you mention being on the road a lot. For more seasoned travelers, that would be a welcome change for those folks.

It’s often been said the once in a lifetime visitor is the one who spends the most on a vacation because they are only there that one time. AP/DVC/frequent visitors are the ones who search for all the discounts they can and find ways to save as much as possible.

I can only speak to Swolphin, but they don't get ME, which isn't an issue FOR ME, so who cares? If I stay at YC or CR, I'm not using it. Not sure about the +10, I don't know where I'll live in half a year more or less plan a simple WDW trip then, but I'm sure there are people who can fill in. There are people like me though that find - value and would stay offsite regardless, so, like Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress is a pretty awesome deal. Both WDW and that property would prosper if offered EMH. Just a thought.

just trying to think of what the value is to onsite at all, and one of it is the ability to get FPs that you might not be able to get otherwise. With Flight of Passage being the big one now and people having trouble getting them even at 60 days out ... but that they are there for 63 days out (so 3 days into your trip). If one can get access to FP for day 63 while staying onsite but not at these Good Neighbor hotels, then that is still a value to some people

Very interesting. Just stayed on-site this month at POFQ. It was nice, but it wasn't $220 a night nice. I'm sure the refurb it's getting soon will help but still. Everything was OK but there wasn't anything to really entice me to try really hard to stay on site when we return again with our 3 kids, and that includes bus service (it was OK, but rather have our own [quiet] vehicle again next time), charging stuff to magic band (didn't do it), and Magical Express (husband got motion sick in it on the way to the hotel, rental car would defeat need for this). 180+ for ADRs... meh. I actually found most of the quick service food we had just as good as the sit-down restaurant food, and I'm not the kind of person crying over not getting a reservation at BoG for some average food. Next time I fully intend to go for a nicer multi-bedroom suite with a full kitchen off-site... I'll throw a few bucks out for Magic Bands. If I won an all-expenses paid trip with a stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, I wouldn't turn it down, but on my own dime for a family of 5, off site it is.... and that's totally regardless of how far ahead of time I can reserve FP+ (more than 80% of which I switched around a million times once we got there anyhow). That would be a nice "extra" if we did happen to reserve somewhere off-site that offered this, but wouldn't ultimately be a huge sway on my decisions.

just trying to think of what the value is to onsite at all, and one of it is the ability to get FPs that you might not be able to get otherwise. With Flight of Passage being the big one now and people having trouble getting them even at 60 days out ... but that they are there for 63 days out (so 3 days into your trip). If one can get access to FP for day 63 while staying onsite but not at these Good Neighbor hotels, then that is still a value to some people

The FP thing can vary wildly based on your flexibility and party though. If you've got hoppers and are adults, fp stuff becomes super easy. I'm not saying that it's different for different people, of course, it is. But the 60 day thing holds 0 value for a bunch of us.

ETA: I guess I'm trying to say there are different styles and tastes. I love that WDW can serve them all:)

The FP thing can vary wildly based on your flexibility and party though. If you've got hoppers and are adults, fp stuff becomes super easy. I'm not saying that it's different for different people, of course, it is. But the 60 day thing holds 0 value for a bunch of us.

ETA: I guess I'm trying to say there are different styles and tastes. I love that WDW can serve them all:)

oh absolutely - and if you don't *need* the 60 day thing then more power to you and definitely the more flexibility you have the better off you are (though I have seen very minimal reports of luck for Flight of Passage after the 60 day mark, but if you got it no problem then that is great ... really just for the 1 or new "new hotness" though that there are any sorts of issues)

You are all assuming the Star Wars rides will get FP access...I'm betting none of the Star Wars attractions will have FP and it will be expensive tours or breakfast mornings/dessert evenings or book that $1K/night hotel or wait your butt in line...so no loss to expanding FP access to other hotels b/c the desired rides will not get it anyway...

You are all assuming the Star Wars rides will get FP access...I'm betting none of the Star Wars attractions will have FP and it will be expensive tours or breakfast mornings/dessert evenings or book that $1K/night hotel or wait your butt in line...so no loss to expanding FP access to other hotels b/c the desired rides will not get it anyway...

That's certainly a possibility. I think it's more likely they'll do an Early Morning Magic thing with both TSL and SW:GE and possibly the after hours thing as well. Depending on what they do with Jedi Training Academy, making that more like a stage show as well. But I'm not sure of the plans on that, I feel like something was said that it was getting a more permanent and indoor location. but I don't remember the details.

I would expect it to be both - similar to Pandora. They have FP, but probably both on Tier 1 so have to pick which one, and will be hard to get. Then they may do the bonus EMH for there for onsite guests like they did with Pandora (thus, promoting staying on site and recently jacked up rates for the new lands and the gondola, etc.). And they do the VIP tours, like they have in AK (which is largely a paid FP for Flight of Passage) - except like twice the price. And the hotel down the road

We'd need to know what kind of occupancy rate these hotels run before we can know the real effects. If they already run 90% plus and now go to a 100% occupancy at a higher rate then it Disney can justify the POP at $200/nt if everything close by off property with 60 day FP+ is full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter