New pool heat policy? ***update see post 549 ****

Just back from Old Key West and swam in the pool and used the hot tub a few times each. I didn't have a thermometer, so this is all obviously just subjective.

The kiddie pool was always warm, the main pool seemed a little cool at first when we first arrived and the weather was in the 70's, but it was comfortable once you were in. The temp seemed perfect later in the week when the weather was hot and sticky though. The hot tub was nicely hot. :thumbsup2

Laurajean1014 said:
78-82 is perfect!
I think some people might find that too cold for comfort. According to the Red Cross (and a few other) websites, 78 is good for fitness swimming and for swim meets. If people are just bobbing around in the water, they recommend 84 degrees.

We were at SSR last week (10/14 thru 10/20) stayed in CP and used the quiet pool there. Pool temp was great......nice and warm.....we were there 10/19 for a good part of the afternoon.......of course, the air temp was very warm that day also.....somewhere in the high 80's. We heading to VWL in mid January and just hoping the pool temps there are quite a bit warmer than people had reported last year same time.

We were at BWV 10/6-10 and teh water was cold. Kids didn't mind but I swam very little. I noticed ever adult that went in the water gave a little shiver as they went in. One man told his wife "You've got to keep moving or you can't stay in."

While I don't want bathwater, I am disappointed in the current pool temp.

We were at the CSR from 10/11 thru 10/15. I didn't go swimming but my MIL and FIL said that the quiet pool near the Casita's section was too cold to swim in. Air temperature seemed to be in the mid- to high 80s that week.

A few of us went swimming, main pool, BWV Sunday night. Air was cool, water was warm.

Bobbi :)

LisaS said:
I think some people might find that too cold for comfort. According to the Red Cross (and a few other) websites, 78 is good for fitness swimming and for swim meets. If people are just bobbing around in the water, they recommend 84 degrees.

I agree. We heat our pool to 84 and it is perfect. 78 we are not going in!!

I realize everyone has different preferences but it should be about the masses. Cold pools have few people swimming regardless of the air temperature. Warm them up a little and the pools are full with people having fun. Nothing puts a damper on a trip like a cold pool.

With all due respect, those of you who think it's too chilly, did you discuss it with someone when you were there? Those of you who go and find it chilly, please talk to the manager! I'm looking out my window right now at heavy snow (near Boulder) and daydreaming of a nice swim in SAB--but not if it's 78F water!

Thanks in advance,
Liz

Machta said:
With all due respect, those of you who think it's too chilly, did you discuss it with someone when you were there? Those of you who go and find it chilly, please talk to the manager! I'm looking out my window right now at heavy snow (near Boulder) and daydreaming of a nice swim in SAB--but not if it's 78F water!

Thanks in advance,
Liz

Without going back and finding the exact post, yes. Many folks stated they did discuss this with the management. I think that is why this thread is still around, it does not seemed to have helped..smjj

smjj said:
Without going back and finding the exact post, yes. Many folks stated they did discuss this with the management. I think that is why this thread is still around, it does not seemed to have helped..smjj
We just came bach from a stay at BWV 10/06-10/16. Weather was great, sunny-in the low to mid 80's. Same problem with the pool temp being on the chilly side. One day it was very warm. I mentioned this to the Lifeguard who told me that they had just turned on the heaters. I don't know what to think. Are the Lifeguards controlling water temps? Do the have any control of this?

I do know that the pool was very comfortable and much more enjoyable after the heaters were turned on.

FRANKTSJR said:
We just came bach from a stay at BWV 10/06-10/16. Weather was great, sunny-in the low to mid 80's. Same problem with the pool temp being on the chilly side. One day it was very warm. I mentioned this to the Lifeguard who told me that they had just turned on the heaters. I don't know what to think. Are the Lifeguards controlling water temps? Do the have any control of this?

I do know that the pool was very comfortable and much more enjoyable after the heaters were turned on.

Maybe they have finally started listening to the patrons -- swimming in a pool that is chilly/cold (acknowledging that water temperature judgement differs depending on the person. . . ) is not a way to enjoy your winter vacation. Our BCV stay is coming up soon, and I'm really hoping that the pools will be at the former warmer temperatures they used to be. :lovestruc

rigsby25 said:
We were at VWL last week. The quiet pool was very cool, the quiet pool spa was cold, and the main pool was cool. Definitely not the "Disney warm" that we have been so fond of. One spa at the main pool was warm and the other hot. We usually go in October, January, and/or May. We are staying at BCV in January, and if SAB is cool, I think I will become disenchanted with DVC.

We were at VWL from Oct 14th-19th and had essentially the same experience. The quiet pool spa was roped off 1/2 the time and the cast member at the rental house said that they were repairing the heater. On one day, at the main pool, one spa was boiling hot and the other cool. The next day, both were a much more comfortably hot. The quiet pool spa was always cool. Both the pools were both cool but not cold, just took a few seconds to get use to it.

I also very much miss the "warm" pools and am quite disappointed.

Just returned today from a split stay at SSR and BC. Swam in both places. Even though the air temperature was a little on the chilly side last week, the pools were plenty warm to swim in. Although we didn't get water temps., the kids were able to stay in swimming easily for over an hour each time they went in.

So far this December we have had a heat wave in Florida.

But I am still hearing reports of cold pool water at Disney.

Is 2006/2007 going to be another year where Disney declears war on swimming in the winter?

-"they're not spending money, if they're just laying around the pool"

Just returned from SSR and the first night there the pool was like bathwater, It was incredible. 2 nights later you got chill bumps just touching it with your toes. I should have said something but had no time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter