New pool heat policy? ***update see post 549 ****

We just returned from OKW stay from May 7 to May 12. The main pool was a little on the cool side but nothing to complain about. We used the quiet pool at Southpoint the rest of the trip and it also was a little cool but very manageable. On the 11th my wife used the quiet pool and returned in a few min. She said the hot tub was closed for repairs and the pool was too hot, like bath water she said. The temps. were in the upper 80's to low 90's each day...smjj

DisneyDadof2 said:
Me and the DF are heading to Disney in two weeks. Has anyone been lately and if so did you notice the pool being warmer? I can't stand cold water and know both my DDs will want to swim everyday. :eek:

At this time of year the sun is really heating up pools fast, should be fine. I was at POR last weekend of April and the quiet pool was cold. Didn't bother with the main pool so I don't know how it was. By now all pools at WDW should be significantly warmer. My unheated pool at home (2 hours south of WDW) just reached swimming temperature this week.

Just got back yesterday and I can tell you that the BCV and SSR pools were very nice and warm. I don't like cold pools in any way, and I was sad we didn't have more pool time!

CheezDoodle said:
I'll be different here and say darn. I hate how warm the pools are. Last year in July it was blazing hot so I thought, hey lets go in the pool. Bad idea, the pool was so warm it wasn't the least bit refreshing. :sad2:
I would humbly suggest that heating the pools to comfortable temperatures during the winter months when some may be travelling from very cold climates for a warm winter to enjoy outdoor swimming they cannot enjoy at home is a different issue than the pools becoming warm in the summer due to the Florida sunshine. I don't imagine they would cool the pools should they become too warm in the summer months.

I'm very glad DVC listened to it's cutomers and raised the pool temperature to 82. Frankly, I wrote the Red Cross, and the statements being sent out in the previous e-mails by DVC were not correct by Red Cross standards. The Red Cross did not recommend temperatures lower than 82 for recreational swimming.

Me and my D$$$ are going elsewhere.....

I want to be able to swim, and want a warm pool.

Voting with my feet, and dollars.

FYI - I used to go three trips during the winter to go swim....

so I guess it's My loss as well as Disney's....

Oh well, I;m sure Marriott or Universal will be happy to heat their pools for me.

I'm holding off selling my contracts to see how this resolves, but if it's a permanent new policy... I'll be swimming and vacationing elsewhere.

A crabby, and cold, Goldi here during the chicago winters....

I have to agree, the warm pools were something I loved about my vacation at the disney resorts. The problem with setting the temp at 82 is that it never seems to fully maintain set temperatures. In our pool at home we usually have to set temp a few degrees warmer to maintain at a more consistent temp. As in if you want a consistent 82 it should be set closer to 84. :guilty:

DH and DS were just swimming at Grandma's house in Michigan this weekend. The pool temp was 78, and DH said if felt COLD, even though the outdoor temp was around 80 degrees. DS only stayed in a half-hour or so, and he can normally swim for at least 3 hours at a time.

Whoever the rocket scientist was at Disney who came up with the cost-saving measure to lower the pool temps should be womped upside the head! This IS an outrage, and anytime I encounter a cold pool at DVC, I'll be marching to the front desk, in my dripping wet bathing suit, complaining loud and long. I encourage EVERYONE to do the same. Maybe then, these folks will get the message.

They are supposed to be RESORTS, not Motel 6s.

As we start to head into the pool heating season in Orlando, it will be interesting to see what happens this heating season year

Cheers
jaysue

:hourglass

Yes, I'm curious about the situation as well. We're headed there in December, and if the pool is too cold for swimming, I'll definitely be talking to management. The important thing is to be polite, but informed. Don't be fobbed off with the standard, "Oh, I'll have them check the equipment".

I suspect that's one of the reasons some cast members have issues with DVC members--we're not the average clueless guest. :rolleyes:

We'll be at BCV in November; sure hope the pool is warm enough to swim in -- that's why we made our reservation at the BC!! :bounce:

I will check back to this forum to see what is doing with the pool heat sitch. We may be doing a dual AKL and BCV this year so hopefully I can get a heads up on both. Either way I will jump in and enjoy myself, but the heat is certainly preferred.

I will be at BCV and will throw my pool temp thermometer in my travel bag now....i will report from there i have to bring my laptop with me on all trips

Fab! Thanks to the OP!

What is the point in even keeping the pools open in the winter if they aren't warmed up enough to swim in them? To me, that is more wasteful!

I completed an online survey after our VWL trip back in April and even then I thought the pools were freezing. I made comments in the survey. It was BEAUTIFUL weather and you got into the pool and it was like ice. They had totally turned off the heating it appeared.

Really, part of the appeal of Florida is the warmer weather and pools are a big part of the vacation experience for many families.

lenshanem said:
What is the point in even keeping the pools open in the winter if they aren't warmed up enough to swim in them? To me, that is more wasteful!

I agree with this totally. Either warm them to an acceptable level (the Red Cross had the recreational temps) or just don't heat and staff them for a month or two.

tixx said:
I will be at BCV and will throw my pool temp thermometer in my travel bag now....i will report from there i have to bring my laptop with me on all trips
Hey I know that view, spend many days on day trips at that beach this summer with my ds and dd.

RichieGraciemom said:
I was there in August, and at night the pool was to cold for me. this was at bwv. also pop was to cold.

What? BWV was 91 degrees August 9 or so (I can check). Was it near the end of the month and maybe had been refilled? Never got to POP. I was there in August and the pool's where way too hot. Had the pool thermometer and they (DVC pools) were 91 degrees across the board except ASM which was leaking and being refilled daily (86 degress-perfect).

Good day to you all, disfolks! I'd like to bump this thread--anyone have recent pool temp observations they'd like to share?

It's about time for the heaters to kick in! My parents moved in June to a retirement village near Orlando, and they have been enjoying the pool every day. Even though it is still in the low 90s most days, Mom says the pool has been chillier this week -- must be the cooler nighttime temps. This is the time of the year where the pool heaters will start to matter! Any reports from visitors would be welcome :sunny:

jade1 said:
What? BWV was 91 degrees August 9 or so (I can check). Was it near the end of the month and maybe had been refilled? Never got to POP. I was there in August and the pool's where way too hot. Had the pool thermometer and they (DVC pools) were 91 degrees across the board except ASM which was leaking and being refilled daily (86 degress-perfect).
it was the last week of august, and I am not kidding, I did not go in at night, and at ssr I was in there everynight alst november

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter