New pool heat policy? ***update see post 549 ****

I sure hope the heat will be on -- we're at BCV during November and the pool is the main reason we chose that resort!!
DD loves to swim, but doesn't enjoy going in alone. A cool pool temperature will keep me out, that's for sure. She will have to go in by herself if it's still chilly this year. Hope Disney got the message re. Raise the Winter Pool Temps!!

I am surprised that this thread has lasted as long as it has. The pool temp has been lower in the winter months since our last trip in Feb 06'. We stayed at BCV. I am pretty much resigned to possiblity the temp will again be lower than desired.

BTW: How is the pool temp at AKL? Is it the same story there? I am asking because we are splitting our stay between AKL and BCV in Feb 07'.

harmonium said:
I am surprised that this thread has lasted as long as it has. The pool temp has been lower in the winter months since our last trip in Feb 06'. We stayed at BCV. I am pretty much resigned to possiblity the temp will again be lower than desired.

BTW: How is the pool temp at AKL? Is it the same story there? I am asking because we are splitting our stay between AKL and BCV in Feb 07'.

AKL pool was quite cool last time we stayed there (and we are used to cool pools here in Canada) - the thread has been revived for this winter season so that people can post their experiences this season

Cheers
jaysue

I didn't actually take a themometer with me last week but based on my non scientific observations. BCV was very pleasant. Not too warm, not too cold and it was in the 90s during the day. Our 3 month old didn't complain ;)

Polynesian~Will let out a shriek when I first put in a toe. Definitely felt much cooler.

SSR~Congress Park Quiet Pool at 7 o clock at night. Like a hot tub. Ok not that hot but it was so warm it felt amazing. Could have stayed in there all night.

Ksp said:
We'll be at BCV in November; sure hope the pool is warm enough to swim in -- that's why we made our reservation at the BC!! :bounce:

I think you'll be headed for problems and disaapointment. Stormalong Bay was extremely cold when we were there in May. I have a heated pool here at home so I'm pretty good with temperatures. My guesss is that it was 80 degrees at best. 80 feels cold when you get in. Really 84 is the perfect temperature IMO. 80 in December will mean few swimmers.

Good luck and I hope I'm wrong and DVC/WDW have listened to the complaints.

We just got back from BCV and SAB was cool, and just OK for recreation. Seems like it should have been warmer given the daytime temps. I would not want the pool any cooler than it was.

I did have a feeling that the pools were cooler than in the past. It does concern me for our winter trip.

Johnnie Fedora said:
We just got back from BCV and SAB was cool, and just OK for recreation. Seems like it should have been warmer given the daytime temps. I would not want the pool any cooler than it was.

I did have a feeling that the pools were cooler than in the past. It does concern me for our winter trip.

We just returned as well and had the exact same thoughts. We were all surprised at how cool (some call it refreshing) SAB was.

HBC

Maybe its just me but it seems like the pools with an expansive amount of space (Stormalong Bay, Uzima) tend to be cooler than other pools. So if Disney has lowered the pool temps I'd imagine they'd unswimmable. Hopefully fuel costs will stay down a bit so that Disney'll have mercy.

We'll be at OKW next week so can report back after we get home.

We were at AKL and VWL this past Spring Break during the first week of April and found the pool at AKL was really too cold to swim. My DGD's lips were blue after a brief 15 - 20 minute or so swim.

VWL seemed to be a little, but not much, warmer at the main pool but she spent most of the time swimming in the kiddie pool by the main WL pool which was very warm.

Will be interesting to see how the pool temps compare to this time of year as well as at OKW.

We're planning to do Blizzard Beach on Friday, have been looking forward to it for a long time. It's been too long since we went to a water park!!

I hope it's a good decision water temperature wise.

Bobbi :)

Johnnie Fedora said:

I guess it's all relative because we just got back from BCV and I did not find SAB cool at all. It was really pleasant and we had our 3 month old in the water for quite some time before he started getting cold.

dsneygirl said:
I guess it's all relative because we just got back from BCV and I did not find SAB cool at all. It was really pleasant and we had our 3 month old in the water for quite some time before he started getting cold.

I agree it is all relative when it comes to what one person's tolerance for chill is compared to another's. The main point of this massive thread though, is that until last year we didn't see many comments about chilly water and pool temperatures were pretty much a non-issue. Unfortunately just because some folks find the new temps still within their tolerance range, this doesn't do much for those who don't. And so the "I'm perfectly comfortable", vs "I'm freezing" battle rages on...

doubletrouble_vb said:
Maybe its just me but it seems like the pools with an expansive amount of space (Stormalong Bay, Uzima) tend to be cooler than other pools. So if Disney has lowered the pool temps I'd imagine they'd unswimmable. Hopefully fuel costs will stay down a bit so that Disney'll have mercy.
We spent several nights at AKL in Jan '05 and went swimming twice that trip. The pool temperature was wonderfully warm! Swimming in January was the highlight of our trip. So they used to keep the Uzima pool nice and warm in the winter but stopped doing so some time in Jan '06.

I'm glad you reminded me of this because I really want to add on points at AKV but promised myself there would be no more add-ons until the pool temperture issue is resolved!

If I can remember correctly(I am not about to re-read this entire thread) the excuse WDW gave was that the temps. were to Red Cross standards. What others found out was those standards were for lap swimming and not recreational swimming. Of course WDW did not tell you that. Maybe others can remember more or correct me if my memory failed me here..smjj

smjj said:
If I can remember correctly(I am not about to re-read this entire thread) the excuse WDW gave was that the temps. were to Red Cross standards. What others found out was those standards were for lap swimming and not recreational swimming. Of course WDW did not tell you that. Maybe others can remember more or correct me if my memory failed me here..smjj

It was from what I remember, but they also said it could not be over 82 or something like that because of bacteria growth (again something like that) but this summer I verified the pool temps were wll over 90 so it would become a double standard and not a reasonable argument. :teacher:

Good morning! We're headed off to the BCV in a month :moped: and I was hoping someone might give everyone updates as to the pool temperatures. How is SAB?

Thanks in advance!
:wave:

jade1 said:
It was from what I remember, but they also said it could not be over 82 or something like that because of bacteria growth (again something like that) but this summer I verified the pool temps were wll over 90 so it would become a double standard and not a reasonable argument. :teacher:

I don't think the Red Cross recommended temps. had to do with bacteria growth.
Chemicals are used to control the bacteria growth.

The temp. recommendations has more to do with the type of activity the pool is used for and the comfort of the swimmers while engaging in that activity.

From this website:

http://www.redcross.org/services/hss/aquatics/FAQ.htm

What is a safe temperature for a home pool?
Recommended water temperatures for the type of activity ranges from 78°F for fitness swimming, 82°F for recreational swimming and 86°F for water therapy. However, there is no recommended water temperature for residential pools — what it boils down to is individual comfort and preference. Although, please note that high water temperatures can present water quality issues.

Split stay BCV 10/8 thru 10/12:

@ BCV/SAB - found the pool to be too chilly for our tastes but, as long as we remained submerged it was tolerable. We're from the north & have an unheated pool that we venture in when it's in the low 70's. Not that cold but, less comfortable than I'd prefer/expect for central FL. The hot tubs were "warm" @ best perhaps they were hotter but, since we were chilled didn't seem to be?

@ CR - both pools were warmer & hot tubs were just right. Able to enjoy the pools later in the evening when the sun went down.

Just spent a week at SSR and happy to report the main pool was toasty. I wonder if it has to do with the "thermal springs" that come up from the bottom. Definitely toasty when you swam over one of those but then you'd hit a cooler spot. I love that effect by the way...Leisure pool at CP also warm but slightly less so. I will be watching very closely though what happens come January. We go for a week every year and last year was very uncomfortable-really dampened our trip as we spend ALOT of time in the pool.

We were at VWL last week. The quiet pool was very cool, the quiet pool spa was cold, and the main pool was cool. Definitely not the "Disney warm" that we have been so fond of. One spa at the main pool was warm and the other hot. We usually go in October, January, and/or May. We are staying at BCV in January, and if SAB is cool, I think I will become disenchanted with DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter