New D23 Expo Superthread! (6/24/2019)

Hello, I joined just to ask this question. Nowhere in my email does it show I have a plus one but I requested it for all of the panels I signed up for. Very odd.
Same here. Nothing on the confirmation about a guest. Also, I went to the app to look up “my reservations” to make sure they are there and all that is there is the screen that says reservations have been filled. I guess I better have the confirmation email handy.....

I'm sure once they stop redirecting to the reservations portal they will come up. In fact, I saw my reservation flash on the screen for a sec before being redirected.

I used Spot Hero to reserve a spot in the Anaheim Marriott's valet garage as it's 24 hours. I'm not sure if that lot still has spots, but I think the Clarion Hotel lot still does and is also 24/7.

Thank you! I just booked a spot. Have you used Spot Hero before? Is it a reliable service?

Thank you! I just booked a spot. Have you used Spot Hero before? Is it a reliable service?
Yes, I've used them multiples times, most recently to book parking for SDCC once all the lottery parking was snapped up. And the one time I did have an issue, their Customer Service refunded my parking fee in full and gave me a $5 credit for my trouble.

Yes, I've used them multiples times, most recently to book parking for SDCC once all the lottery parking was snapped up. And the one time I did have an issue, their Customer Service refunded my parking fee in full and gave me a $5 credit for my trouble.

That's awesome! Thanks so much for the recommendation! Will keep Spot Hero in mind for SDCC too next year :)

So for queueing for the morning for Gold Members... is it an all-night free for all as well? Or do they have a separate area to wait that opens up later in the early morning?? No idea how that works or if going gold is even a worthwhile expenditure...

So for queueing for the morning for Gold Members... is it an all-night free for all as well? Or do they have a separate area to wait that opens up later in the early morning?? No idea how that works or if going gold is even a worthwhile expenditure...

I basically had the same question, but haven’t seen an answer yet. My limited understanding is that with gold, you still have to get there early because they cap the gold line, and when they do, all the gold members arriving after have to join the regular line. I just don’t know when the gold line usually gets capped. From the sound of it, it seems like being gold doesn’t mean you can get there any later. It just gets you closer to the front if you do manage to get in the gold line before they cap it.

I basically had the same question, but haven’t seen an answer yet. My limited understanding is that with gold, you still have to get there early because they cap the gold line, and when they do, all the gold members arriving after have to join the regular line. I just don’t know when the gold line usually gets capped. From the sound of it, it seems like being gold doesn’t mean you can get there any later. It just gets you closer to the front if you do manage to get in the gold line before they cap it.

Do we know how many seats are left? From D23 Expo Facebook page, it sounds like any remaining seats are very limited
“We would never encourage someone to wait overnight. A lot of the StagePass tickets will go to those people who got StagePasses. So, there will be a limited number of standby tickets, we absolutely will have that. We don’t want to discourage people from showing up if they don’t have a StagePass. At the same time, we did create the StagePass and are doing it digitally to try to keep people from waiting overnight.”
Jeffrey, Director of Corporate Communications for D23 Walt Disney Archives"

... I am in a Facebook group where they are in direct communication with D23. This year, they are claiming to be strictly enforcing the food and beverage rules...
This has me very concerned (and is adding to my already full bag of anxieties!). They say you don't need paperwork, but then they say they will be strictly enforcing the food and beverage rules. The ACC bag check crew were clueless last time and I don't expect better this time. How are we supposed to "prove" that we have allergies and need to bring in our own safe snacks? And we have a water bottle with a filter, but I wonder how they expect the limited number of water fountains in the ACC to support up to 40,000 people?

Yes, if you want to safely make it into the Gold queue for the morning Hall D23 panels, expect to queue overnight with the exception of Legends. Traditionally, Legends hasn't required a camp out to get in, but with Stagepass and the induction of Robert Downey Jr. this year, you can't safely rely on past expo data.

eta: Didn't mean to imply that overnight queuing is a requirement, but if you really want to get in to Studios specifically, I'd arrive by midnight or 1am at the latest. Since Parks has traditionally been an afternoon panel, it's harder to predict how that queue will go, but my gut says a 3-4am arrival should probably be OK. But again, if you really have your heart set on any of the major panels, camping out is the only way to ensure a spot outside of reservations.

There is a separately marked Gold queue, but it's also in the Hall E basement with the rest of the overnighters. In the past, once they brought the overnight queue inside the convention center, they separated it out into show floor (and everything else), Hall D23 general, and Hall D23 Gold. If you want to get into the Gold queue for the Arena you'd wait in the show floor line and then "walk with purpose" to the Arena queue as soon as they let you in.

Last edited:
Will call, guest services. REALLY feeling for the front line folks who have no control but face all the heat.
I am in customer service and I only imagine how horrible it will be. I have been yelled at over something that cost less than $5, so...

I had zero expectations so I’m personally not upset.

My goal now is to be as pleasant and cheerful to all the cast members and staff I come across. We truthfully don’t know how this will work, exactly, and getting all twisted about it is not going to help anyone.

@theluckyrabbit One of my groups encouraged people to reach out to Guest Services about the special dietary requirements. They put me in touch with the DLR Accessibility Office, who confirmed in writing the regulations and told us how to handle the screening process. Be prepared to identify the items and state that you have a necessity for an exemption for special dietary requirements.

Last edited:
... One of my groups encouraged people to reach out to Guest Services about the special dietary requirements. They put me in touch with the DLR Accessibility Office, who confirmed in writing the regulations and told us how to handle the screening process. Be prepared to identify the items and state that you have a necessity for an exemption for special dietary requirements.
Do you have the email or contact info for the Accessibility office? Is there a specific person to ask for? Thanks for your help!

We will make the best of it too and go to parks etc but limit any more money given to Disney. Not the cast members fault but it is Disney and D23’s fault. I am unclear why they would think that hanging out in a basement of a concrete and glass structure in earthquake central without hygiene and limited bathrooms for 8+ hours is a happy place to be. My time is woth more than that so it is disrespectful. 40000 people? Thats what is wrong. I cant imagine the health exposure you would have. Thousands of dollars to stand around? Sorry for those who have done it in the past and even more so for those who think we need to pay those dues. Sad that was accepted as the norm and tolerated without adequate corrective action. Company is probably not ISO certified. Poor Anaheim. No one spending money if they are in line. Normalized deviance is very much a problem for Disney. The Expo experience and plan thus far is unacceptable and they really need to create truthful disclosures. Hmm. Class action? Response from the manager is discouraging sounds like we should not bother with lines at all.
So excited for and proud of the Legends being inducted and very upsetting to likely miss that one. Was the main reason we bought tickets. Unfortunate their induction will be forever linked with recall of all these issues.
The grieving process for those without any reservation and for whom the realization of all the lost income in planning for this is why we are so very disturbed. Will take some time for us.
Re spothero we use it all the time in DC. Awesome app and way better customer service than Disney.

Does anyone know how to link your badge to the app? I activated online but now there’s no way to log in after the fact on the app.

Ok, for those of you who have waited overnight before. Curious about the lines. I'll be there Friday only. Overnight queue for Friday starts at 2pm Thurs. Could anyone estimate the number of people in line at 2pm? 4pm? 6pm? etc. I see lots of people show up around 1-3 am. Just curious how many people are in front of you if you show up after midnight. Shopping/expo floor line, not panel line.

Thank you! Just sent the email -- let's hope they answer before Thursday!
ETA: Have since received 2 identical canned emails from D23 telling me how to make reservations online for the Expo. Uh huh.

Ha, welcome to the club. I got six of those emails from Guest Services over a 25-hour’s period from Friday to Saturday. I was trying to get someone to realize they forgot a batch email to a subset of Sorcerers but their software kept spewing out the Activation instructions. 😂

A huge thank you for the Spot Hero recommendation! Parking was my biggest worry, being from out of town and all!

So concensus here seems to be that overnight queuing is the only way into the big, morning HallD23 panels. And it sounds like gold status will only serve to make it more likely to actually get into the panel.

I personally believe that there must be a substantial amount of seats remaining outside of stagepass. I wish I knew what percentage that is. But surely it’s at least 30-40% or more. Otherwise why bother with the gold queue at all If those people are unlikely to get in? Plus gold queue is supposed to enter before stagepass in some instances. This certainly implies that there are a decent number of seats. Seems as though they would not cap the gold queue at dozens or even a couple hundred people.

I had hoped to avoid camping out. But now I’m considering possibly doing it to get into at least one big panel. This is my first time at the Expo or any big Con, and I’d like to experience something of the bigger offerings.

For me personally, I’m just as interested in many of the archives presentations and panels. I’m curious how far in advance those will need to be lined up for as well. I just have no sense of timing on any of this stuff and it’s difficult to sketch out a plan for the day when there’s no way of knowing how long any one experience, panel or shopping line will be.

I’ll be following along and appreciate the experiences and wisdom of past attendees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter