Name your pizza

This is the ONLY pizza I will have outside of NYC's pizza:

Manco & Manco's Pizza on the Boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ. Either location at each end of the Boardwalk. We usually have a couple slices right when we get on the Boardwalk. Do beachy stuff and after a few hours, end up at the other end of the Boardwalk and have another slice or two of their cheesy thin cracker crust pizza. And always, last day, before we head home, we have a couple slices for the road. They make a special sauce and use a fresh smoked cheese that makes the difference.

Other than that, any thin crust pizza here in NYC works for me. It's the water that makes the crispy crust. I also like a margarita pizza, or a white pizza with tomato sauce added on top. (They use ricotta cheese on a white pizza, which I like. But, I also want the tomato sauce.)

@Dan Murphy ... Sorry to hear you lost your brother. I hope your memories of him bring you comfort.

Can I just stomp my foot for a minute and have a hissy here? HOW IS IT ALL YOU GUYS ARE FROM THE SAME PLACE IN CHICAGO-LAND??? I adore pizza, think it's just about the best thing on earth when it comes to food, and I live in an area where frozen is usually your best option! I'd kill for decent pizza here. The local family "chain" is Pat's Pizza. It's great, but it's a far cry from real pizza. As everyone says, you either love it or hate it!

Best pizza here is Portland Pie in Bangor. They have a wood fired oven and know what they are doing. Crispy crust, incredible tomato sauce, great toppings. My favorite is probably The Cape Neddick, which is marinara, fresh mozzarella, hand-sliced pepperoni, and basil. Given that I spent almost every summer for 30 years in Cape Neddick/York Beach, ME, there is also an emotional tie to this one!

Favorite from my past? The Varsity, on the edge of Syracuse University, in Syracuse NY. We'd order either pepperoni/green pepper or sausage/black olive. If you are a sports fan and watch ESPN at all, this is where Mike Tirico got his start- both in sports broadcasting and in pizza. Used to run into him there all the time (he's broadcasting from Vegas, Jet vs Raiders, as I am typing). Varsity had GREAT pizza!

No contest. Boston Pizza's Boston Royal. Regular pan crust, traditional sauce, pepperoni, mushroom, green pepper, onion, black olives and shrimp. :lovestruc

Cicero’s in Cupertino when I was a kid (it still exists, in different location & still good, but not the same) NY style thin crust.

Jake’s in Saratoga, CA. Much more “regular” style, but great!!
Dough
Sauce
Tomatoes (slices under the cheese)
Cheese
Salami
Mushrooms
LA Hot Sausage

Favorite from my past? The Varsity, on the edge of Syracuse University, in Syracuse NY.

@leebee If you lived up there, did you ever have tomato pie? It's not really a pizza. It's not considered Sicilian pizza either. It has a very thick crust topped with tomato paste and Parmesan cheese. I've always had it cold, not hot. It's the only thick crust "pizza" I will eat.

-54c24ec8dc9eeebf.jpg

Last edited:
Cheese Board Collective - Berkeley, California. It's a bit hard to describe but it's not a traditional pizza. The dough is based on sourdough bread and rarely contains tomato sauce. The ingredients are always top notch and it's cheap. When I first tried it, the price per slice was $1.25. The other deal is that the slice price is exactly 1/8 of a whole pie, so there's no effective discount for buying a half or whole pie.

The lines can be long and often there's live music. It used to be crazy at their original location, which was really a hole in the wall, but then they moved to a new location that became available. There used to be issue where people would just take it to the median in the street even though there were signs saying it was a city ordinance violation. Then they built a parklet, which was recently expanded where it takes up maybe what used to be 5 parking spaces.

As a kid my fondest memories were of this mini-chain called Red Vest Pizza. Maybe it wasn't the greatest, but they had coupon specials from a local mailer and my family was always looking for a bargain. We'd often get the extra-large, which was rectangular. They supposedly had live bluegrass music on certain days but I don't remember ever going in when they had that.

When I was in high school and college I remember this one place that kept me from starving - Fat Slice in Berkeley. It wasn't necessarily the greatest, but it was a lot of food for the price. At least when I first started going there it was 75 cents for a large cheese slice and maybe $1 for a veggie or pepperoni slice. And the prices were pretty stable for a starving college student. But eventually it started getting more expensive. It finally closed a few years ago, but occasionally I'd go back to reminisce.

Felix & Oscar's Chicago-style graziano sausage pizza in Des Moines

BJs Favorite at BJ's Brewhouse in either CA or Orlando.

I'm not a pizza connoisseur by any means. My childhood pizza memories are mostly from chain places. But I love pizza in general, and am happy to have so many recommendations!
🍕 😃 🍕 😃 🍕 😃 🍕

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter