Name your pizza

Tip: If you want garlic dipping sauce but your normal place doesn't offer it, you only need two ingredients: margarine and garlic powder. Start with 3 Tbsp of melted margarine and 1 tsp of garlic powder and adjust from there.
Dipping sauce? This is the pizza thread.

What's margarine? :laughing:

I just like watching the people watching those machines … well worth it ;)
twilight-zone-tw.gif

I am a sucker for 2 places near-ish me. One is Little Oven on the east side of St Paul. MN style pizza with amazing, spicy sauce, tons of cheese, fresh toppings. The other is called Nino's Pizzeria, also on the east side of St Paul. NY style with the best crust I have ever had.

I don't care for thicker crust, and I don't like sweeter sauces. MN style is the best for avoiding those.

Tony's Little Italy in Placentia CA. It is the best Chicago style pizza I have been able to find in SoCal. And it is a fun place for former Chicagoans to hang out with a mural of Wrigley Field and tons of Cubs and Bears pictures and memorabilia on the walls.

Back home, I would take a Lou Malnatis any day of the week. Going to the Lou Malnatis in AZ was a highlight of a wedding we went to there a few years ago!

I don't have a lot of favorites, but DH and I love pizza experimentation. We have a travel tradition to always seek out local pizza places to see what they come up with. It does require that you shelve any pre-conceived notions of what is and is not "real" pizza, but it's a lot of fun, and along the way we have found some gems, though of course there have also been some that were really not very good.

The most memorable crust I've ever had was from a place near Carlsbad, CA about 20 years ago; somehow we lost track of the name of the place, but their pizza was on a really great herbed crust that contained a lot of rosemary. Unusual for sure, but delicious.

My current semi-local favorite is Dewey's, which is a regional chain out of Ohio. For St. Louis style, I much prefer Fortel's over Imo's, but Fortel's uses mozzarella, not Provel. (I've lived here 35 years, and I still believe Provel is an abomination. It's a designed-for-melting blend of cheddar, swiss and provolone, heavily smoked, and IMO, it has the texture of library paste. (no Imo's pun intended))

BTW, Aldi's fresh uncooked pizza from the cold case is actually quite decent and a great bargain, though it requires a bit of seasoning, IMO; just crispy-enough thin crust and a nice balance of ingredients.

NYC - Really there are just too many to name.
even in Queens alone there are too many to name.
More than use to do toppings like Buffalo chicken now etc, but I only do generic pepperoni or olives if I do a topping so can't judge that part.

Last edited:
My favorite is Harris Pizza in the Quad Cities. I’ll eat just about any pizza on the menu.

Imo’s in STL is just bad. No matter how many times I’ve had it, it doesn’t get better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter