My Toddler Hates Riding in a Stroller - Help!

We rented a double city mini and loved it, but, most importantly, my kids loved it lol When we visited my kids were 1, 3, and just-turned 6, my 1 year old rode on it most of the time, my two oldest took turns riding on it, so it worked out really well. It's true most kids can handle the walking, but after a full day of it or even just days of walking, it wore my kids out and they fully took advantage of riding on the stroller. Maybe let her take "breaks" and walk some parts, I'm sure she'll quickly realize with the crowds and just how fast everyone is moving, she'd much rather ride on the stroller.

Practice, practice, practice.

Don't wait until you're at Disney to enforce the stroller. Have that fight now, at home, in a low stakes environment. Like, if she enjoys going to Build a Bear at the mall, or the zoo, make her sit in the stroller. If she's not complying, or behaving in a way that you think appropriate, bring her right on home. Then try again with another fun thing, until she realizes she's going to have to sit in that stroller for something good to happen.

I would definitely do this. Like others said, sometimes you gotta use some tricks to ensure a happy vacation. She is at the perfect age for reverse psychology. I would take her somewhere like on a local track or mall and walk. Take your stroller and put a tote bag or something in it. Let you older kids know about your stroller training plan and get them to play along. Make a production of telling your older kids (and her) that no one can ride in the stroller because you have to have it for your bag. Then walk until she's too tired to continue. Tell her she could ride in the stroller but you have to have it for your bag. Soon, she'll be negotiating with you to ride in the stroller. While she's in the stroller, let her use the little fan a PP suggested or have a snack to reinforce the positive experience.

I bet that even after 1 or 2 hours of non-stop walking, crowds and the heat, your little one will be happy to get in that stroller! Our 4yr old son hadn't been in a stroller in about a year, but within the first hour, he was happy to hop in..... and by the third day, we couldn't coax him OUT of the stroller. He was happy to sit there with his water bottle being pushed around in his chariot by his minions. We rented a double stroller from Orlando Strollers.... it was on of those mini-GT doubles. A smooth ride!!

My DS is also a little tricky to get into strollers. We have a couple of different tactics to solve it though.

1. My husband doesn't mind holding him or walking with him. So you could try practicing walking a lot in order to gear up for Disney.
2. We use the monkey leash. Screw other peoples looks, I know that my son is a runner and I want to protect him. Sometimes I put my cell phone or other things in the backpack, that way he feels like a helper!
3. We don't always latch him in the stroller. Or if we do, we only do the belt portion. That way he doesn't feel the shoulder pressure, which may be some of the issue your dd has?
4. Cell phone and Nabi!!! We will give DS his Nabi JR. to play with in the stroller and he chills immediately. It's like watching TV, he just is happy to sit there and relax.

Finally, 5. At Disney, he will walk for a bit, then get tired and hop back into the stroller because he realized its a heck of a lot easier to be pushed around in the shade than walking in the hot sun. He's not stupid - I'd be doing the same if I could fit back into a stroller! Hope any of that helps!! And like I have said many a time, get something with a BIG canopy!!

I didn't read all the other posts....

My DDs were 6 & 13month, 7 & 2, 8 & 3, we always rented a double stroller.
DD#2 was always great in a stroller (different than your situation).
We got the double stroller so my girls could just keep each other company.
It worked out beautifully - everyone was happy.
A double stroller was a bit of a pain, but it was worth the sacrifice.
I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!!

My 2.5 year old son absolutely hates sitting in either our single or double stroller, and I'm afraid being at Disneyworld was no different. We were there for a full week, hit the parks at rope drop for five days, and every single day was a struggle from a stroller/walking standpoint. The only time when he would willingly get in was the very last day at the end of the day when he was just too tired. He, too, is a Mama's boy, and a BIG boy weighing in at 34 lbs already. I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but don't assume he'll just get tired and want to be in the stroller.

We had a great time, but there were some rough moments (okay, maybe they lasted a little longer than a moment). I really wish I had just bitten the bullet and bought a backpack leash.

You could keep your eye out for a Peg Perego stroller. You would need to look for an older one as they have now changed the restraint on them. The old ones have freedom movement and are a 5 point harness that they can lean forward and turn to the side and not be stuck against the back rest. I have no idea why they switched them, I love the freedom movement and have a triplet stroller and a Pliko P3 with it. Kids love it too. I took the shoulder strap part off the clips on the P3 when we were at WDW as my niece was 4 so she just had 3 point harness.

My son hated a stroller everywhere, including Disney, and we gave it up after he was a year old. The best I could get from him once he was a walker was about 30 minutes while I was running and that was if I gave him a tray full of snacks!

At Disney we let him walk (even though it was slow), enforced the hand holding rule in crowds (he learned that timeouts happen at Disney too), carried on Daddy's shoulders, or I carried him in a Seven Sling (a non-adjustable sling that works for heavier kids). He could sit on my hip but the sling held his weight up so my arms didn't need to do all the work.

I've got one of those kids too. She's almost two and has done a stroller maybe four times in her life. I'm renting a big double with a stand on the back for everyone to share (6 & 8 year olds too) and hoping that bottomless snacks and her favorite "stuff" (like cards with pictures, small action figures, pacis, and Elsa doll) will save us. I'll also bring my Ergo but she'll only do the front carry which is murder on my back and boobs since she thinks boob level means nursing. If you see an exhausted mom with a giant two year old dangling off her chest next month that's me.

I add that we do have a leash pack (owl shaped, so cute) but my kid is one of those "sit down wherever she wants and just look at you" kids, and people will really look at you wrong if you're dragging a toddler like a dog resisting a leash :) we tried the leash on a cruise and it didn't really pan out.

My son hates the stroller too but I 100% know he will be wanting it by the afternoon. Bring one as a backup, just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter