Minivan and 7 people plus luggage

On the Lake

Earning My Ears
Was anyone able to get 7 people + all the luggage in a minivan? I know it says that a minivan holds 7 people and 4 pieces of luggage on the car rental sites but was wondering if anyone was able to fit more than the 4 pieces of luggage?

Was anyone able to get 7 people + all the luggage in a minivan? I know it says that a minivan holds 7 people and 4 pieces of luggage on the car rental sites but was wondering if anyone was able to fit more than the 4 pieces of luggage?
I've rented many different brands of minivans over the years -- usually just for four of us, but once for seven.

Minivans tend to have a lot of room for luggage if the third seat row is folded down flat, but not very much room if the third row is in use (as is necessary with 7 people).

The way we solved it with seven people was to have passengers in the van holding duffel bags or carry-ons on their laps for the short drive between the airport and the condo. We had a washer and dryer in the condo, so packing light was not a problem.

Many of the mini vans have luggage racks on the roof, bring along an assortment of bungee cords and if necessary place some of your bags on the roof, just make sure they're fastened securely.

I'm wondering if 4 pieces of luggage is a little generous in the description.

Many of the mini vans have luggage racks on the roof, bring along an assortment of bungee cords and if necessary place some of your bags on the roof, just make sure they're fastened securely.

The contract may specify no luggage on the rack and if you can, you are going to need more than bungees more like ratchet straps and the knowledge to use them.

Starting out with your luggage all the freeway is not the way to start a vacation.

Has anyone else used something other than a minivan for 7 people? I know there a 15 passenger van but the price is 3 or 4 times what the minivan is. Currently I have a minivan for 8 days for $350.

I need to transport 7 people from MCO to WDW and from WDW to DCL and back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I feel your pain. We always end up having the same situation (more luggage than the van can hold). 15 passenger vans are normally priced out the picture. Here's what we have done on occasion.

1. CRAM! JAM! Bags in laps; sit on bags; bags piled to the ceiling.

2. If van has luggage rack - I bring those ratcheting type straps with me. If the van has a luggage crack I strap as much as I can on top. Sadly, lots of time the vans do not have a rack.

3. Make 2 trips. 1/2 the family and their bags are dropped off then circle back for the second group.

4. Lastly, 2 rental vehicles. Normally we travel with my sister's family. They rent a vehicle as well. We fill one vehicle with luggage and the other with people.

I would recommend 2 vehicles. Opens up lots of flexibility for your group and no luggage worries.

:thumbsup2 We're doing the minivan also for 7! And yep, we know it'll be a little tight, but we actually owned a minivan before our SUV, so we know it'll work. Tight ~ yep, and some will probably have carry-ons in their lap (but we'll be so excited it doesn't really matter). And I can pack a van tighter than sardines as far as luggage, so we're not really concerned.
If you're going far, and going to be traveling a ton, then I would think large SUV, but we're just going to hotel and then the port, so we can do it!

Have fun no matter what you do!!!:goodvibes

Are you staying on site? How about sending some people on ME?

We did this once when the price for a mini-van was too high so we got a small car which was fine for the four of us to ride around in but not big enough for all our luggage. So DH picked up the car rental and some of our luggage while the kids and I took ME and the rest of our luggage to the resort. Worked out great!!! Just do the same thing on the way back too. :)

We rented a 7 passenger minivan with 6 people (4 of them are kids but we had stuff). We were able to fit 6 rolling carry on sized luggage suitcases easily and we had more room. We also had 4 back packs. Last year, we had the same stuff plus a stroller. If you have full sized luggage, it might be pretty tight.

:) Do you need to rent? I would hire a car service from WDW to port. Then have them pick you up at port for trip back. No worries, no driving. Tiffany Towncar is who we always use. They have a van and a round trip would be $135 or so for seven people, holding 12-14 pieces of luggage. Waseem is a great driver.

I would take ME if flying to WDW, with that many folks.

EDIT: looked at prices wrong. It is $340 round trip from WDW to port using service...Yikes...but $48.50 each person isnt bad.

YES!! Last Christmas there were 7 of us- one mini van rental (Dodge)- it was a stow and go so there was that cavity in the floor that gives you some more room where the seat would go into the floor........so we fit all our suitcases behind the 3rd row seat and everyone had to have their carry ons on their laps or at their feet. We even had to buy one more suitcase down there for the trip home and it fit back there too-you had to use side mirrors could not see out the back but it worked fine and since it was just for the airport trips overall it was completely fine.....and we had kids ages 17,14,17,6,6 and then 2 adults. We drive a Ford Freestyle at home with the stow and go and they fit in that too.If that 3rd row seat reclines slightly make sure it is fully upright and put the head rests up. If you have to one suitcase will usually fit between front seats extending into the back between the next row seats. So tell everyone it will be very crowded but it can be done.

We rent from Alamo or National. Then we go to the lot and look for a van that has stow and go or extended back end. If it does have stow and go or extended back end you should be fine. (dodge or chrysler offer this)

A carry on will fit between the front seats and the middle seats. (You can go a few deep)

The floor boards move and full size bags will fit under there.

If you use rolling duffles sometimes standing the bags on end will help use space. (think puzzle!)

The head rests on the back seat will hold bags back.

Arm rests in the "way" back are a great place to put carryon/backpacks/laptop cases.

Now with all that being said a minivan holds 6 adults OR 4 adults and 3 children. The 3rd seat really doesn't hold 3 full sized adults vary well. (our van says 2 adult or 3 children for 3rd seat use.) We often cram 3 adults back there.:eek::hug::rolleyes1

Goodluck! and have a GREAT trip!

A minivan is to small for 7 persons plus luggage. You need to either rent a full size Ford 250 passsenger van or possibley a 7 passenger SUV Suburban or Escalade to accommodate that many people.

A minivan is to small for 7 persons plus luggage. You need to either rent a full size Ford 250 passsenger van or possibley a 7 passenger SUV Suburban or Escalade to accommodate that many people.

It's not big enough for a long drive. Certainly not big enough for a car service. It should work if the family is prepared to have luggage on the floor and maybe on passengers laps.

An 8 passenger van would work better. Leave the front passenger seat empty and stack luggage on the seat.

Are you staying on site? How about sending some people on ME?

We did this once when the price for a mini-van was too high so we got a small car which was fine for the four of us to ride around in but not big enough for all our luggage. So DH picked up the car rental and some of our luggage while the kids and I took ME and the rest of our luggage to the resort. Worked out great!!! Just do the same thing on the way back too. :)

That is what I was going to suggest. We have also done this in the past as we usually just rent a midsize for 4 people and luggage space can be tight. Send 2 on DME with some bags and the other two get the car. Return trip to the airport is fine because we use the baggage check-in at the resort so we only have to worry about our carryons. Love that Southwest now participates in this!

We had a Ford Explorer in Myrtle Beach last year- 7 passenger SUV....we had 7 passengers and NO room behind the 3rd row seat. Perhaps the Escalade is much bigger and the Suburban is for sure but they cost a lot more to rent than a mini van. We have much more room behind 3rd row in mini van - there was no way in that SUV we could have put 7 suitcases- maybe there are other brands SUVS that have more room in the back but that one had such a big front end/engine area that the passenger space was too small for us-it was also very difficult to get in that third row of seats compared to van. I think most mini vans now are also all "extended"- the Dodge/Chrysler for sure has not offered the smaller length in several years. So while I would not want to drive a long distance in a mini van with 7 people it can certainly be done and we have done it many times and with luggage for short trips to the airport is not a problem.The SUV we had also had a console between front seats so could not put a bag there of any sort.

I think what we might do is to go with the minivan but also book one person on the ME and one on the DCL bus just in case we don't have enough room for 7. We've done 6 in a minivan before but 7 will be tight. Anyone know how late can you cancel the ME or DCL transportation?

I own a Dodge Grand Caravan, much like the ones most car rental companies use in Orlando. In February, we drove from our hometown to Syracuse, N.Y. to fly down to MCO. We had 5 adults and 2 children (ages 3 and 6) with car seats.

We were packed tight, no doubt about it, but this is what we fit in the van...

5 large suitcases, 5 good-sized cary-ons, 1 umbroller type stroller.

The stow-n-go seating systems in the Dodge mini-vans have small storage compartments below the passengers' feet in the second row. You might get some smaller stuff in those areas. Also, if there is no console between the front seats, a good-sized carry-on will fit between them, no problem.

While we were in Orlando, we hired a few different SUV's to take us around...niether of them really had as much room as the mini-van. One was a Denali (sp?) and the other was some kind of a Lincoln. Nice vehicles but kind of cramped for 7 people, let alone their luggage. Maybe there are bigger SUV's than this. I don't know.

In the van, we were definitely packed tight, but we did it for 250 miles each way, so you should be be able to do it from MCO to Disney/Port. (Tell everyone to pack light though.)

Have a good trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter