Miami area condo collapse

Search operations have been paused so that demolition crews can drill holes in supports and plant explosives. No timetable has been given for the demolition or when search operations will resume. I am sure rescuers will have to do some assessment after the demolition, but I have no idea how long that will take.

Search operations have been paused so that demolition crews can drill holes in supports and plant explosives. No timetable has been given for the demolition or when search operations will resume. I am sure rescuers will have to do some assessment after the demolition, but I have no idea how long that will take.
This is such a sad turn of events for the families who wait as well as the searchers.
I understand the searchers can't continue work at an unstable site, but it is still so heartbreaking.

This is such a sad turn of events for the families who wait as well as the searchers.
To me, it kind of depends on what happens with the demolition and after the demolition.

If they are able to drop the remaining structure successfully in a way that allows more rescuer access, that will be a good thing. The way the site is right now they do not have access to 2/3 of the area where survivors might be. And the site is increasingly unsafe to work.

So if they are successful in re-opening a large part of the rubble for search and rescue, that will be a good thing. That is the objective.

This is NOT a cessation of the search and rescue. They are trying to prevent the remaining structure from falling uncontrollably in a way that forces the end of rescue efforts.

This is not a best-case scenario. Authorities are trying to do the best they can in a steadily-deteriorating scenario.

They are trying to get to a less-than-worst-case scenario and they are dealing with reality, not what we (or they) wish were the case.

Somehow the news of the doomed pets upsets me more than the people who died. :sad: :sad1:
So this was really bothering me as well, I live in South Florida and I followed it
They did three sweeps today with cameras and traps in the units owners reported animals.
They retrieved birds, dogs and cats untill no were found. The building is scheduled for demo tomorrow. The miami mayor said pet family members are important and they did everything they could.

"Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said Saturday that at least three sweeps have been conducted, some by camera, at a portion of the complex still standing - and that no animals have been found.

Miami Commissioner Ken Russell, who is also married to a veterinarian, added that the fire department is still helping out while not taking any resources away from human rescue.

Earlier in the week, a firefighter attempted to locate the missing cat of an elderly woman and her daughter who lived on the fourth floor of the still-standing wing of the condominium tower. The two women had escaped with their dog, Rigatoni. But their cat, Coco, was apparently left behind in the scramble to escape.

"Once I realized a cat was still in jeopardy, I called the fire chief," he said.

And so a firefighter hung by the edge of the bucket truck and started calling for Coco.

"What we're doing is looking in through the balconies where doors are open. We're trying to leave food or water on balconies for any pets we know of," Russell said.

"People rely on them for their mental stability and their comfort," Russell said. "To know that they left their animal behind is a tremendous sense of guilt."

Russell is also working with Friends of Miami Animals to help pets and families reunite."

A rescue worker found his own elementary age daughter dead in the rubble. He worked the scene through the anguish of knowing his baby girl was probably gone. Probably wondering what her last moments were like. Did she suffer? Was it quick?And he worked it anyway. That father has to wake up for the rest of his life and remember it wasn’t just a bad dream.

I know I’m speaking into the wind, but I decided to say it anyway.

Somehow the news of the doomed pets upsets me more than the people who died. :sad: :sad1:
Perhaps you need some perspective like this.

A rescue worker found his own elementary age daughter dead in the rubble. He worked the scene through the anguish of knowing his baby girl was probably gone. Probably wondering what her last moments were like. Did she suffer? Was it quick?And he worked it anyway. That father has to wake up for the rest of his life and remember it wasn’t just a bad dream.

Unfortunately this is taking on the trappings of an embellished urban myth. The father was not working there but had been on-site hoping for the best as were many parents and family members. When her body was found he was notified and had the opportunity to hold her body.

Miami-Dade County Fire Chief Alan Cominsky said the firefighter was not part of that rescue process. His task force comrades found the remains and then called him over, Cominsky told reporters.

This aspect of current events is just too morbid/tragic and close to home for me to comment excessively on.

Last edited:
No details of the demolition plans have been announced yet, except that the demolition may begin today.

Tropical Storm Elsa is less of a threat now than she was, but the remaining structure is very unstable and is being demolished on the advice of the FEMA engineering team.

This is just conjecture, but I believe authorities will try to bring the building down across Collins Avenue to the west -- the roadway with the bend just to the left of the building. That would be away from the area where there is still some hope of finding survivors (outlined in red).

A large area of about two blocks on the west side of Collins Avenue (outlined in yellow) is a public park, much of which is either tennis courts or just open land.

The roadway can be rebuilt, the park can be rebuilt, and this strategy would protect the search area.

Most likely the roadway will be covered with about 3 feet of sand.

The truly sad thing about this tragedy is it was easily preventable, with the right laws/regulations.

Most likely the roadway will be covered with about 3 feet of sand.

The truly sad thing about this tragedy is it was easily preventable, with the right laws/regulations.
Maybe but there was still a major funding issue.

This is gut wrenching. I hope in time....someway, somehow...the survivors can find peace. A truly horrible event.

Last edited:
Maybe but there was still a major funding issue.

This is fit wrenching. I hope in time....someway, somehow...the survivors can find peace. A truly horrible event.

There didn't need to be a funding issue. Every building needs major repairs at regular intervals during its service life. From the get go, part of the monthly condo fee should have been going into a major repair account, so the money is there 20-30 years in the future when those big repairs are needed. Laws/regulations should make this a requirement. Eliminate the infighting that happens when repairs are due.

It is not difficult to make reasonable estimates of future repair costs, to set the monthly amount.

Unfortunately this is taking on the trappings of an embellished urban myth. The father was not working there but had been on-site hoping for the best as were many parents and family members. When her body was found he was notified and had the opportunity to hold her body.

This aspect of current events is just too morbid/tragic and close to home for me to comment excessively on.

I’m perfectly fine with you correcting the details. Thank you.

My point was and is that I’m honestly horrified by the lack of compassion (from some, and I’m not at all referring to you NYCgrrl) for people mourning and most likely preparing to mourn their dead loved ones.

My husband is currently mourning his best friend that he’s known since he was a child (completely unrelated to this). His left behind a wife and a young son. It is shocking to me that someone would compare that grief to someone who left behind their cat or be sad for animals but not people. It’s sad that those animals will most likely perish. It’s sad that they’re probably hungry, thirsty, and frightened. They will be missed by their owners. It is not the same. That little boy would much rather have lost a dog than his dad.

There didn't need to be a funding issue. Every building needs major repairs at regular intervals during its service life. From the get go, part of the monthly condo fee should have been going into a major repair account, so the money is there 20-30 years in the future when those big repairs are needed. Laws/regulations should make this a requirement. Eliminate the infighting that happens when repairs are due.

It is not difficult to make reasonable estimates of future repair costs, to set the monthly amount.
The same holds true for single family home ownership.

The 1% rule says you should set aside 1% of your homes value every year for repairs. Your house worth $300,000, make sure to put aside that $250 a month.

I don't think I know a single person who does that. Instead every repair is a dip into credit or a pull from the home equity line of credit.

I do know that the average DISer probably sets aside closer to 20%. They probably also head to the monthly HOA meetings and demand higher assessments!

I have attended the majority of my neighborhoods annual HOA meetings. There is usually only about 15% of the homes represented. Any mention of raising the annual dues are met with anger and resentment from those at the meeting and from those that hear about the potential increase later. Then when the clubhouse needs a repair and the reserves are underfunded, those same people yell and scream, why, why, why?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

No details of the demolition plans have been announced yet, except that the demolition may begin today.

Tropical Storm Elsa is less of a threat now than she was, but the remaining structure is very unstable and is being demolished on the advice of the FEMA engineering team.

This is just conjecture, but I believe authorities will try to bring the building down across Collins Avenue to the west -- the roadway with the bend just to the left of the building. That would be away from the area where there is still some hope of finding survivors (outlined in red).

A large area of about two blocks on the west side of Collins Avenue (outlined in yellow) is a public park, much of which is either tennis courts or just open land.

The roadway can be rebuilt, the park can be rebuilt, and this strategy would protect the search area.

View attachment 586860
Thanks jimMIA for your updates!!

Honestly even if maintenance was kept up to the tee everything has a lifespan. Even buildings hundreds of years old are shut down for years before reopening again. Some part of those building never reopen again.

Honestly even if maintenance was kept up to the tee everything has a lifespan. Even buildings hundreds of years old are shut down for years before reopening again. Some part of those building never reopen again.
This building was 40 years old. That isn't a typical lifespan of a building by any stretch of the imagination. IMO, there's no justifying this. It takes shoddy workmanship &/or poor upkeep to bring a building that new down under normal circumstances. In this case, it appears both are to blame, unless something comes out that hasn't been reported.

This building was 40 years old. That isn't a typical lifespan of a building by any stretch of the imagination. IMO, there's no justifying this. It takes shoddy workmanship &/or poor upkeep to bring a building that new down under normal circumstances. In this case, it appears both are to blame, unless something comes out that hasn't been reported.

Plus other underlying circumstances need to be taken into consideration such as weather, wind, and iches from the ocean- salt damage. Maybe I have a different prespective since I've seen what the PNW ocean & Gales to do to Oregon Coast homes. Salt itself is corrosive in nature. Unfortunately fingers will be pointed elsewhere, where environment won't even get the blame. Would like to see going forward that buildings feet from the coast shouldn't be high rise, yet it won't happen.

The same holds true for single family home ownership.

The 1% rule says you should set aside 1% of your homes value every year for repairs. Your house worth $300,000, make sure to put aside that $250 a month.

I don't think I know a single person who does that. Instead every repair is a dip into credit or a pull from the home equity line of credit.

I do know that the average DISer probably sets aside closer to 20%. They probably also head to the monthly HOA meetings and demand higher assessments!

I have attended the majority of my neighborhoods annual HOA meetings. There is usually only about 15% of the homes represented. Any mention of raising the annual dues are met with anger and resentment from those at the meeting and from those that hear about the potential increase later. Then when the clubhouse needs a repair and the reserves are underfunded, those same people yell and scream, why, why, why?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Some of that can be avoided with realistic HOA fees being setup from the beginning. My parents own a super old timeshare. It’s still in good shape because the owners’ fees started out high enough to keep the reserve account fully funded. When you have to raise the HOA fee later, especially by a lot, it’s a mess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter