Miami area condo collapse

I live in South Florida, the new news is about the animals left behind . They are using cherry pickers to leave food and water for the animals untill the figure out what to do next.
I had not seen that in the news, but I think the lives of any pets left behind are pretty tenuous. Rescuers were forced to pause the search for about 15 hours on Thursday -- from about 2 AM until almost 5 PM -- because of shifts detected in both the debris and the remaining structure still standing. There are discussions underway now to figure out if, when, and how to demolish the remaining structure. It seems likely that any pets in that area would not be saved.

One other bit of news came to light today. Yesterday, one of the bodies recovered was the daughter of one of the firefighters on the search and rescue team. She had already been counted, so the numbers above have not changed.

CORRECTION: That happened today, the girl had not previously been counted, and the numbers are updated below.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/...ontinue-their-search-for-victims-in-surfside/

The other critical piece of the puzzle we are all watching iS Hurricane Elsa. The storm strengthened to a minimal Category 1 hurricane during the night, but is expected to weaken back to a tropical storm. Most of Florida is within the "Cone of uncertainty," and obviously any bad weather will force another pause in the rescue effort. It's still way too early to tell where Elsa is actually likely to go.

Last edited:
With today's mid-day update, the death toll is now 20.

One of the two people found today was the 7 year-old daughter of a City of Miami firefighter who was present when she was discovered. That firefighter is a member of Florida USAR Task Force 2 and was involved in the search at the time.

Some of the previously unaccounted for people have apparently been located elsewhere, and the unaccounted for number now stands at 128.

Obviously everyone is watching Hurricane Elsa. Rescuers will continue searching as long as safety permits. The site is divided into 9 "grids" and rescuers are limited to only 3 of those grids by the hazards which caused suspension of the search yesterday. The other 2/3 of the wreckage is deemed unsafe to search.

Last edited:
I had not seen that in the news, but I think the lives of any pets left behind are pretty tenuous. Rescuers were forced to pause the search for about 15 hours on Thursday -- from about 2 AM until almost 5 PM -- because of shifts detected in both the debris and the remaining structure still standing. There are discussions underway now to figure out if, when, and how to demolish the remaining structure. It seems likely that any pets in that area would not be saved.

One other bit of news came to light today. Yesterday, one of the bodies recovered was the daughter of one of the firefighters on the search and rescue team. She had already been counted, so the numbers above have not changed.

CORRECTION: That happened today, the girl had not previously been counted, and the numbers are updated below.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/...ontinue-their-search-for-victims-in-surfside/

The other critical piece of the puzzle we are all watching iS Hurricane Elsa. The storm strengthened to a minimal Category 1 hurricane during the night, but is expected to weaken back to a tropical storm. Most of Florida is within the "Cone of uncertainty," and obviously any bad weather will force another pause in the rescue effort. It's still way too early to tell where Elsa is actually likely to go.

View attachment 586239
I know the whole this is so sad..
Here is the link to nbc news Miami
https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local...rubble-of-surfside-building-collapse/2484494/

I know the whole this is so sad..
Here is the link to nbc news Miami
https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local...rubble-of-surfside-building-collapse/2484494/
I love my pet (dog) too, but I certainly would not expect firefighters to risk their lives to feed her in similar circumstances. That is way beyond unreasonable. And certainly no responsible emergency manager would allow it. I am afraid the pets remaining in the building are doomed.

It is sad to lose the pets, but it doesn't begin to compare with the rescue worker who found his 7 year-old daughter's body last night.

I love my pet (dog) too, but I certainly would not expect firefighters to risk their lives to feed her in similar circumstances. That is way beyond unreasonable. And certainly no responsible emergency manager would allow it. I am afraid the pets remaining in the building are doomed.

It is sad to lose the pets, but it doesn't begin to compare with the rescue worker who found his 7 year-old daughter's body last night.
Some people consider their animals pets others consider them family members. The two sides will never agree on situations like this.

Some people consider their animals pets others consider them family members. The two sides will never agree on situations like this.
Oh, make no mistake, our 10 pounds of terror is most definitely a family member! But I wouldn't risk another person's life for her, nor would I consider her equal in any way to someone's child.

The real-world here is that authorities are probably going to demolish the rest of the building before they finish searching for human survivors if they can figure out a safe way to do that.

They don't have much choice. They currently have 2/3 of the area which is not safe to search for human survivors because of instability in the remaining standing portion.

Last edited:
Well I was engaged in this thread just viewing it (a lot of my catching up was done via my local news who has stories about this every day sometimes multiple times during the day) until the most recent discussion about pets.

I don't think it's right to criticize efforts made on the animal front and do we really need to use this thread to compare whose life, etc? I'm sure the amount of teams there leaving food out presents a small effort but may end up with large net gains if some come out of hiding (cats for example often hide in small spaces during frightening events). It doesn't mean they are taking away efforts to search for humans.

Animals can be very resilient surviving under imaginable situations (CA wildfires come to mind) but I'm also certain that people whose pets are missing appreciate any effort (without expectation more than likely) made and it reminds me of the two cats that were reunited with their owners after the Nashville bombing late last year.

Compassion IMO is the utmost importance here and that goes for everything, for loss of life (both human and animal alike), for the possessions (even if they can be replaced), for the unimaginable stress, anxiety and grief all who are impacted (no matter the reason) may be feeling.

Are the pets left behind of people who fled the buildings that are still standing?
Yes, from the portion of the building that is still standing. Some residents were able to get out on their own by the stairways; others were plucked from their balconies by fire units.

Last edited:
I'm sure the amount of teams there leaving food out presents a small effort but may end up with large net gains if some come out of hiding (cats for example often hide in small spaces during frightening events). It doesn't mean they are taking away efforts to search for humans.
The number of people actually leaving food for pets is ZERO.

Nobody is doing that. Nobody will be allowed to do that, because it presents significant risk -- not only to the firefighters who would be dropping off food, but also to the rescuers on the rubble pile below.

Unfortunately those animals are going to perish. It's not what anyone wants, but it's the real world.

The number of people actually leaving food for pets is ZERO.

Nobody is doing that. Nobody will be allowed to do that, because it presents significant risk -- not only to the firefighters who would be dropping off food, but also to the rescuers on the rubble pile below.

Unfortunately those animals are going to perish. It's not what anyone wants, but it's the real world.
A poster said they were using cherry pickers to leave food out until they figured it out.

You missed the intent to my post. Compassion. I think we're all very aware of what the real world is like. I read this thread for the updates not for someone's opinion on whether human life or animal life is worth it or for someone to speak about animals in such a disposable way.

Carry on with the thread looks like you have great information for things but I'll just get my updates from the news :flower3:

Today, here, is the first I’ve heard of the pets issue. (I’d previously read the bldg was pet free.)

But looking at the article above, it doesn’t sound like it’s a done deal, necessarily.

Sometimes with a tragedy like this, even the smallest of successes can re-energize weary troops. Maybe this will be the case here, who knows.

Building to be demolished
The emergency order to demolish the remaining portion of the building has been signed by the mayor of Miami-Dade County. Engineers will develop a plan to demolish the building with as little effect on the search effort as possible.

I hope it doesn’t take weeks to get the job done, like the article says it might, as it doesn’t appear a delay would allow for rescue and recovery teams to get into the areas that are off limits right now. The time for finding live victims is fading fast. If there is still anyone alive in the rubble, I want them to be found and treated as quickly as possible, without endangering the rescuers in the process.

I hope it doesn’t take weeks to get the job done, like the article says it might, as it doesn’t appear a delay would allow for rescue and recovery teams to get into the areas that are off limits right now. The time for finding live victims is fading fast. If there is still anyone alive in the rubble, I want them to be found and treated as quickly as possible, without endangering the rescuers in the process.
Agree 100%.

The problem is the engineers have to figure out how to drop the remaining portion of the building so that it doesn't wreck the building next door -- OR endanger anyone under the rubble.

They can drop it on the pool. They can drop part of it on Collins Avenue. But they can't drop any of it in the middle or the NE corner.

They may have to do it in stages, and it may need to be a real ballet. Maybe some engineers here could give us some ideas.

sounds like there will be intense scrutiny of all condo buildings' structural integrity so this never happens again anywhere else.
HOA/condo associations/co-op boards/etc are already reviled. Add in tens of thousands of special assessments to correct problems in all those buildings and the level of hate will be elevated.

I wonder how much this will affect condo values across the lower Florida area? Knowing that soon after buying you may be hit with a $80,000 special assessment to fix something major just found in your building.

I know I would not buy in the area for several years, until the extent of other issues are known.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter