• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MaxPass / Digital Fastpass - Discussion Thread

Wow. Pretty insane to see all the rumors and questions over the past eight months skimming this thread from Page 1 to Page 87 in one sitting.
After all that, I have questions for my group as we have four things that make us "not average" when weighing to MP or not to MP:
1) There are six of us, DH, myself, and our kids, comprising four Disney adults and two kids, both over 40" (one only just above),
2) DH is the only one with a phone that connects to internet, WiFi, etc., but mine could be made to do so (but I would consider it to be under duress),
3) We are coming from Canada, so WiFi only, no data plan to use in the parks, (this link is helpful: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/internet-wifi/), and
4) Regardless of age and height, there are many FP rides that only some of our group would ride. DH does nothing resembling a roller coaster, and neither does DS3. DS1 and DD will go on a lot, but some things impinge on DS1's sensory issues (no Space) and DD, age 3yo, is too short for some FP rides. DS2 and I are the only ones who would ride pretty much all the FP attractions.

Coming from so far, we stay for a long time, and thus get APs. (Still can't believe I can't get more than a 5-day ticket.) I always get PhotoPass without question. At $75 pp, it would be $450 more for us all to get MP. That feels egregious. We could pay for our OC friends (family of 4) to come join us for a day for that much. But what would happen if only some of us got MP? I'm still waiting for someone with a split party, like even meeting friends who didn't get MP when you did, talking about getting FPs for the whole group through older means while perhaps using MP for a subset for other attractions. For example, I would want six FPs for Haunted Mansion, but would only need four for RSR, and only two for California Screamin'. Is MP still worthwhile for such a party? Can we manage with a subset having MP? If my DH is the only one using the app, the rest of us will be OK scanning our APs, even if he is not among our party getting on, say, CS, right?
TIA for any clarifications and opinions.

I can't answer all your questions because I haven't even used MP myself, but I've been researching it so I think I can speak on a couple of your concerns.
3) We are coming from Canada, so WiFi only, no data plan to use in the parks, (this link is helpful: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/internet-wifi/)
I would suggest you do some serious research on people's experiences with wifi in the parks. Many have said it's horrible, though I've seen some reports that it's improving. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into if you won't have a data plan as a backup.
If my DH is the only one using the app, the rest of us will be OK scanning our APs, even if he is not among our party getting on, say, CS, right?
Yes, you should only need either the app or the ticket (not both) to use the FP. So you can split up and you won't need access to the app to redeem FP.
At $75 pp, it would be $450 more for us all to get MP.
I've seen consistent reports from AP holders who have said that they were able to purchase MP at the $10 day rate and then later that day go to the ticket booth to add the $75 option to their AP, and they received credit for the $10 they had already paid. So one option for you would be to pay for MP for the first day at $10/person, and then see how you like it and decide before the end of the day if it's really worth it for the rest of the trip.

Wow. Pretty insane to see all the rumors and questions over the past eight months skimming this thread from Page 1 to Page 87 in one sitting.
After all that, I have questions for my group as we have four things that make us "not average" when weighing to MP or not to MP:
1) There are six of us, DH, myself, and our kids, comprising four Disney adults and two kids, both over 40" (one only just above),
2) DH is the only one with a phone that connects to internet, WiFi, etc., but mine could be made to do so (but I would consider it to be under duress),
3) We are coming from Canada, so WiFi only, no data plan to use in the parks, (this link is helpful: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/internet-wifi/), and
4) Regardless of age and height, there are many FP rides that only some of our group would ride. DH does nothing resembling a roller coaster, and neither does DS3. DS1 and DD will go on a lot, but some things impinge on DS1's sensory issues (no Space) and DD, age 3yo, is too short for some FP rides. DS2 and I are the only ones who would ride pretty much all the FP attractions.

Coming from so far, we stay for a long time, and thus get APs. (Still can't believe I can't get more than a 5-day ticket.) I always get PhotoPass without question. At $75 pp, it would be $450 more for us all to get MP. That feels egregious. We could pay for our OC friends (family of 4) to come join us for a day for that much. But what would happen if only some of us got MP? I'm still waiting for someone with a split party, like even meeting friends who didn't get MP when you did, talking about getting FPs for the whole group through older means while perhaps using MP for a subset for other attractions. For example, I would want six FPs for Haunted Mansion, but would only need four for RSR, and only two for California Screamin'. Is MP still worthwhile for such a party? Can we manage with a subset having MP? If my DH is the only one using the app, the rest of us will be OK scanning our APs, even if he is not among our party getting on, say, CS, right?
The wifi is essentially nonexistent. It renders the "benefit" of Maxpass worthless since you can't book from most places, and getting to a working wi-fi spot is practically as much of a hassle as just going to the FP machine.

So if you really won't have a data plan, then just have one person purchase MP for the photo purposes and you're all set. They can just pull FPs from the machines like normal with the rest of you, no big deal.

If you decide to get a data plan, I'd recommend that you do a "Maxpass day" to maximize bit rides one day, but again, if you don't have a data plan, Maxpass is not going to be worth it in my opinion.

ETA: I have Maxpass for myself and my daughter, and we frequently meet up with other AP holders who don't have Maxpass. We literally just got home from a day at DCA where I was there with our two MP and three family members with regular FP. So I could definitely give tips about how to maximize a "partial Maxpass party," but again, if you won't have wifi, it is not worth it. It is fine to have one person purchase it but never "use" it, then you get photos for cheaper but just ignore the FP options. Hope that helps.

Were from Canada (BC) as well and I put a US plan on my phone. Seriously, the wifi was practically non existent while we were there. I can't imagine trying to use MP, or even the app in general, relying only on the wifi in the parks. Is there no US data package you could put on at least one phone in your party? It would make your MP experience so much better!!

I couldn't figure out how to cancel a FP from my phone today. Bug? User error? Or a change in policy?

(IOS 10.3.3 on an iPhone 7)

I couldn't figure out how to cancel a FP from my phone today. Bug? User error? Or a change in policy?

(IOS 10.3.3 on an iPhone 7)
I cancelled one today on an iPhone (I'm whatever IOS hasn't updated in the past few weeks).

Have you been able to do it before and couldn't this time? I just clicked on the "cancel FP" option.

I cancelled one today on an iPhone (I'm whatever IOS hasn't updated in the past few weeks).

Have you been able to do it before and couldn't this time? I just clicked on the "cancel FP" option.

I don't think I had ever done it before. Where is the "cancel FP" option found?

I don't think I had ever done it before. Where is the "cancel FP" option found?
You know, I'm having trouble visualizing it, but I think when you click on the FP itself under "my plans" or "all my plans" or whatever that is, then it gives you the option to cancel.

Hopefully someone can chime in with something more helpful. Maybe a screenshot.

With MP, can you get a second MP (for a different attraction) after the 90-minute retrieval time if the first MP is farther away in the future? For example, at 8AM park open I get an after-dark RSR; can I start searching for another starting at at 9:31?

I've only been once recently but can give my input as we used MaxPass for 3 of our 4 days. It was super helpful for us but the four of us went on the FastPass rides. What rides would your party use it for? For us (with lesser crowds), we used it mostly for Radiator Springs, Toy Story, Soarin and Guaridans at DCA and Indiana Jones, Big Thunder (but not really needed as line ups weren't long), Star Tours and Splash once (but then we realized single rider line as our son was the only one). Seems pricey for you if its not that useful as you do still have the use of paper Fast Pass. But if there are some rides that a couple of you would find useful, then you could just get it for the people that will use it...and even try it for one day and see how that goes. You don't need to get it for every day of your trip.

Also, we are from Canada and originally weren't going to have a data plan either, but then we ended up getting a cheap roaming plan. I think it was $5 a day and it worked really well. One phone would be sufficient but have heard that the wifi isn't working well yet.

With MP, can you get a second MP (for a different attraction) after the 90-minute retrieval time if the first MP is farther away in the future? For example, at 8AM park open I get an after-dark RSR; can I start searching for another starting at at 9:31?

Let me answer your example first, and then your first question.

At 8AM, you will not be able to get a FP for an after-dark RSR. FPs are available in order throughout the day, and cannot be booked in advance like at WDW. At an 8AM park open, you will be able to pull your first FP after you cross the turnstile (around 7:30), and the first FP you pull will likely be for 8:30.

Now, to your underlying question: Yes. Let me just provide an example that could happen. At 12pm, you pull an after-dark FP for RSR. At 1:30, you'll be able to pull a FP for California Screamin.

At twitch noted, you can pull a FP as soon as you enter the turnstiles, and you don't have a choice on timing - it's next available. If you keep an eye on FP return times on the app, you can pull RSR when it hits "after dark," but you'll need to be eligible to pull your next FP at that point (or you could cancel whatever FP is blocking you).

You may find this post helpful: https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-answer-to-when-can-i-pull-my-next-fp.3634984/

MP was great when I just bought it for myself everyday to use for PP. On our last day I bought it for all of us to ensure we got on rides that were hard to FP like GOTG. That's when it was awful. Maybe DL has better signal strength or less people using it or it was the time of day but I used it to MP HM, ST and TS at DL just fine but as we tried to do GOTG at DCA I couldn't get it to connect at all. This was the ride DS wanted to do and we hadn't been able to get a FP so DH took DS to try and get a FP in person for the after dark ride. Luckily he tried their tickets and my MP must have gone through even though it never said so on my phone. Given the expense of doing it for everyone, especially if not everyone will need it, you may want to consider testing it out with some of your party first. If you don't have any problems you can easily add it to more people but if you have problems you can save the cost of adding everyone to it.

Thanks! I was mistaking it for the WDW FPs where you can choose a later time.

We are in Anaheim now. Day one I tried to set my son up with Maxpass (I got an AP with MP for the year). I couldn't access the app anywhere in DL or DCA on my android phone with wifi. I decided to try my iPad yesterday with wifi and was successful using the app 90% of the time. So possibly apple products are working better with MP and the app? That being said, we decided we were doing just fine without MP, and didn't bother with it, but I think I might try again for Sunday and Monday. I am very happy to have the photopass with my AP, and I will see how it goes with my iPad.
Has anyone else had more success with wifi using an iPhone as opposed to android?

We are in Anaheim now. Day one I tried to set my son up with Maxpass (I got an AP with MP for the year). I couldn't access the app anywhere in DL or DCA on my android phone with wifi. I decided to try my iPad yesterday with wifi and was successful using the app 90% of the time. So possibly apple products are working better with MP and the app? That being said, we decided we were doing just fine without MP, and didn't bother with it, but I think I might try again for Sunday and Monday. I am very happy to have the photopass with my AP, and I will see how it goes with my iPad.
Has anyone else had more success with wifi using an iPhone as opposed to android?
Nah, it was still terrible with my iPhone. I don't have an Android device to compare, though.

Are there more MPs available than FPs? As of now I think it is space and HMH showing no more FPs. Does this mean there are no more MPs, too?

Are there more MPs available than FPs? As of now I think it is space and HMH showing no more FPs. Does this mean there are no more MPs, too?
As far as I've been able to tell I think regular FP and MP pull from the same pool. However, MP gives people the option to cancel a FP and other people with MP can take the cancelled spots, so in a way MP gives you access to more inventory. Using MP, you would have the possibility of getting a FP after they're all gone for the day if someone else cancels. But in general, I think both would run out at the same time.

Nope, I have an iPhone and couldn’t use the wifi at all.

You know, I'm having trouble visualizing it, but I think when you click on the FP itself under "my plans" or "all my plans" or whatever that is, then it gives you the option to cancel.

Hopefully someone can chime in with something more helpful. Maybe a screenshot.

If you click into the FP there is a cancel option. By any chance was it left over from a Rider Swap? We were unable to cancel those; CMs had to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter