March Madness 2024 thread (CBS/TNT/Tru tv/TBS)

We used to be BIG college hoops fans when DH was at Syracuse for 5 years. We followed games closely after that, and I'll never forget exactly where I was when Syracuse FINALLY won a national championship! We haven't watched as avidly in the past 10 or so years, but I still love a good college game, don't really care who is playing. We'll be watching on Selection Sunday, for sure, and will try to catch some games!

We used to be BIG college hoops fans when DH was at Syracuse for 5 years. We followed games closely after that, and I'll never forget exactly where I was when Syracuse FINALLY won a national championship! We haven't watched as avidly in the past 10 or so years, but I still love a good college game, don't really care who is playing. We'll be watching on Selection Sunday, for sure, and will try to catch some games!

Leebee, I always look forward to Selection Sunday and best yet, this year I will be chomping on corned beef, too!!! :shamrock:

I used to run our company's bracket contest. Did so for 20+ years. After I lost my job, gave up on it. I'll watch some of the tournament, definitely the Final 4. I wouldn't say I'm "excited" about it though.

I have never figured out why every March of every year March Madness is such a big deal and the way they promote it and hype it is the same as the Super Bowl. But why I think March Madness has become such a big deal over the years is simply a way to market sales and much like the Super Bowl they have started airing commercials that are March Madness themed and I think March Madness has copied the Super Bowl. And you also see commercials for Domino's Pizza and Wingstop and Best Buy advertise TV sales that mention deals such as "Buy a TV for the big game" or Domino's Pizza advertises things such as "Get a special March Madness pizza deal" And all this tells me that March Madness is the biggest event next to the Super Bowl and World Series

I have never figured out why every March of every year March Madness is such a big deal and the way they promote it and hype it is the same as the Super Bowl. But why I think March Madness has become such a big deal over the years is simply a way to market sales and much like the Super Bowl they have started airing commercials that are March Madness themed and I think March Madness has copied the Super Bowl. And you also see commercials for Domino's Pizza and Wingstop and Best Buy advertise TV sales that mention deals such as "Buy a TV for the big game" or Domino's Pizza advertises things such as "Get a special March Madness pizza deal" And all this tells me that March Madness is the biggest event next to the Super Bowl and World Series
Your first and last sentences contradict each other.

March Madness is a big deal because it attracts viewers. It attracts viewers because of the emotion, the "Cinderella Stories", the last second shots, and yes, the gambling. While there are March Madness centered commercials (love the Capital One versions), they don't have get the commercial love like the Super Bowl does. But, with the viewers, companies would be remiss in not trying to reach out to them.

Your first and last sentences contradict each other.

March Madness is a big deal because it attracts viewers. It attracts viewers because of the emotion, the "Cinderella Stories", the last second shots, and yes, the gambling. While there are March Madness centered commercials (love the Capital One versions), they don't have get the commercial love like the Super Bowl does. But, with the viewers, companies would be remiss in not trying to reach out to them.
Well, as the saying goes, it just depends. I worked at an ABC affiliate that switched to CBS and our first March Madness was interesting to say the least. But we had no regional teams in March Madness.
Our GM gave us all a big pep talk before the games, he had always worked at CBS stations about told us how great this was. Soon, he was having to move people from other departments to help answer angry viewer calls about disruptions to programming caused by the games. After March Madness, GM had another meeting with the staff and was just shaking his head. We were the 20th market, and our March Madness ratings ranked us as the lowest watched March Madness major market station.....we came at number 200! "People just don't watch College Basketball here" he said. He was also dealing with local advertisers who were promised a certain rating for the games......and he was having to approve make goods and refunds because the ratings projections were not met..
And many of us were wondering before March Madness why our friends at the former CBS station were sarcastically telling us "Good Luck with March Madness".

Well, as the saying goes, it just depends. I worked at an ABC affiliate that switched to CBS and our first March Madness was interesting to say the least. But we had no regional teams in March Madness.
Our GM gave us all a big pep talk before the games, he had always worked at CBS stations about told us how great this was. Soon, he was having to move people from other departments to help answer angry viewer calls about disruptions to programming caused by the games. After March Madness, GM had another meeting with the staff and was just shaking his head. We were the 20th market, and our March Madness ratings ranked us as the lowest watched March Madness major market station.....we came at number 200! "People just don't watch College Basketball here" he said. He was also dealing with local advertisers who were promised a certain rating for the games......and he was having to approve make goods and refunds because the ratings projections were not met..
And many of us were wondering before March Madness why our friends at the former CBS station were sarcastically telling us "Good Luck with March Madness".
Yea, the market will depend, especially for the early games. When the weekend shows up and when you get down to Sweet 16 forward, the viewers keep increasing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter