March 30th Magic - St. Thomas Day (pics and music)

DixieDreamer

<font color=blue>Instant Human - <font color=brown
<bgsound src="http://www.lyonfamilywdw.com/CalypsoMidis/jama2.mid"loop="3">
If you have been following along with my posts - this is number 5 of 6 in a series of WDW and Cruise trip reports. If you missed the first posts... there will be links to them at the end of this report.

On Wednesday we arrived early in the morning at St. Thomas. I woke up early enough to get up and watch from our verandah as the captain maneuvered the boat into port. It really is amazing how they can handle such a large boat with such finesse. The boats in the harbor, the blue sky, and the amazing blue water beckoned us to get up and get moving.

<center>
DCL_StThomexcursion28.JPG
</center>

For our day in St. Thomas, we signed up for the "Coral World and Drive" excursion. This included a driving tour of the island and a trip to Coral World - which is a great marine center with opportunities to do lots of hands on exploration of the sea life around the islands. Our DD (age 10) had specifically voted for this excursion and was really looking forward to it. The driving portion took us through various parts of the island - and our driver Henry was very knowledgeable. He pointed out not only landmarks and historical information - but he talked about life there. Showing us some of the interesting things about everyday life on St. Thomas. He took us to several vantage points high on the island - allowing for some great pics of the vista below.

<center>
DCL_StThomexcursion4.JPG
</center>

At one point, we stopped high above a private garden - terraced into the steep hillside. He discussed the different common native plants growing there and proceeded to show us a cashew plant. Being a gardener... I found this highly interesting! :D

<center>
DCL_StThomexcursion3.JPG
</center>

We then went to the highest point on the island. The switchback roads climbing up the steep hillside was interesting... glad I was not driving! At the top we had grand views of Megan Bay.

<center>
DCL_StThomexcursion12.JPG
</center>

Of course, I found the local flowering shrubs just as beautiful to look at! LOL!

<center>
DCL_StThomexcursion14.JPG
</center>

<center>
DCL_StThomexcursion10.JPG
</center>

Then it was off to Coral World. This is a very interesting place and I only wish we had had more time there. There are several different exhibit areas. One of which sat out in the bay and allowed you to go below sea level and view the native fish and reef life.

<center>
DCL_StThomexcursion22.JPG
</center>

The view from the shoreline was captivating too.

<center>
DCL_StThomexcursion21.JPG
</center>

Our DD was much impressed with the iguanas. There was one that we found walking up the pathway steps ahead of us - everyone gave him his own space LOL! - but I managed to catch him when he stopped to sun himself.

<center>
DCL_StThomexcursion20.JPG
</center>

DD was in heaven here. She loves animals, science, and getting her hands wet!

<center>
DCL_StThomexcursion16.JPG
</center>

Besides the iguana that was running wild in the exhibit area... there was actually a large PLANNED exhibit of iguanas. They were literally everywhere you looked!

<center>
DCL_StThomexcursion25.JPG
</center>

<center>
DCL_StThomexcursion26.JPG
</center>

When we had concluded our stay at Coral World we headed back to the ship. On the way down into the harbor area... we caught a beautiful view of the Magic waiting for us in port.

<center>
DCL_StThomexcursion1.JPG
</center>

We returned to the ship, had a big lunch on board (because we were starving by that point!) and then we headed back off the ship and did some walking around and shopping. Later we returned to the ship and settled in for another day at sea on our way towards Castaway Cay. My next and last post will cover the highlights of this final (and best) destination of the Magic! I hope you are enjoying these posts so far. If you missed any of the previous trip reports - here are some links:

A Day at Epcot

A Day at Animal Kingdom

All Aboard the MAGIC!

A Day at St. Martin

I will add a link to the last report when concluded.

(Edited to add the link for the final report)

Final Day - Castaway Cay

Thanks again, Dbl D. I was swaying to the great music as I was reading this report. It is such a happy beat. Your flower pictures, as always, are stunning. And loved the beautiful, long distance shots of the terrain, etc. Very nice. And what can you say about Lindsay's!!! She sure is a cutie. :earsgirl:

Thanks. :sunny:

And yet another great report:)

Loved the pictures (especially your pretty DD);)

Thanks again for the report, music & pics:D

I envy you your ambition posting these AND getting the riddle this morning:p :p

I'm totally jealous of this trip (just wanted ya' to hear me whine):( :D

Thank you again, for a beautiful trip report! :)

Was that flowering bush a Bougainvillea? It looked beautiful. I just watched a National Geographic tv program last night about iguanas. Interesting creatures!

I can't wait to read about Castaway Cay! :)

Wow! Great report. Your pictures are great and I love the music! It helps old me over until our cruise in Decemeber. I think I'm going to have to pick up some of those spices in St. Martin...I love to cook. Thanks again!!

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, DblD!

Especially Bullseye_girl!

Lovely post, Laura - Very much appreciated! :)

As alwasy beautiful pictures. I love the flower shots you took and especially the ones of the iguana! Thank you so much for sharing them with us :)

WOW What a great report! The pictures are fantastic DD! It looks fantastic there!;) Thanks for sharing your vacation with me!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter