March 29, 2013 8 Nights on the Magic

As far as WDW we are doing princess storybook breakfast at Epcot, but worried it will cut into our day too much. That's all Camryn has talked about though.

Character meals are all about 1 hour to experience all the characters. We love Akershus. We have no meals planned. We're just winging it.

It is a great breakfast-so many characters, not just princesses. And the food is pretty good, too. While in Norway you should go on Maelstrom (or get a fast pass if you have a chance before you eat). It's a fun ride, in case you've never done it before. ?

They are adding food and wine kiosks for Flower and Garden Festival around the world showcase this year, so there will be a lot more food choices there.

If anyone knows the best place to get either, please post here. If we can't explore the whole Key West, might as well take a "bite" of it. :rotfl:

The 2 that have been recommended to me by friends and relatives are Key Lime Pie Factory which has the regular and chocolate dipped on a stick. They have 2 locations 1108 Duvall St. and 511 Green St. It's the closest to Mallory Square.
Bobby Flay is doing a Throwdown on March 23 with them.

The second place is Kermit's Key Lime Pie Shop. They also have 2 locations. 200 Elizabeth Street(closest to Mallory Square) and 802 Duvall St.

I'm sure all the resturants have key lime pie as well.

I plan on doing a key lime pie crawl instead of a pub crawl.:rotfl:

I'm the only one in my family who loves key lime pie so I'm in!! We can scrapbook a key lime page too!:)

I'm the only one in my family who loves key lime pie so I'm in!! We can scrapbook a key lime page too!:)

Sounds good! Everyone in my family loves key lime pie even my DD. We have a few places here that make great pies. Haven't had any in awhile so i'll be ready when we hit Key West.

stsomewhere said:
Welcome!

For Castaway, we are just relaxing on the beach. My mom and stepdad are taking my daughter and nephew pararsailing.

WDW- No character breakfast or anything. Too expensive when we can get characters on the ship. My kids are older, though.14 and 12. Plus we were just there for a week in August and then again over Thanksgiving.
We are planning on eating(splitting) our favorite foods in Epcot.

Sunshine seasons for breakfast- for their terrific desserts.
Mexico- margarita, churros, nachos,
Norway- cream horns,
China- orange chicken
America- steak and funnel cakes.

I think that I will be full after this.
Japan- sushi, noodles and sake
France- bakery and wine.

Those are just a few.

In Key West, we are gong on a private shark watching tour with the rest of our family. There are 14 total. Followed by some shopping.

Can you tell me about the private shark tour? How long is it and who did you book through? My daughter and I have been talking about doing a shark tour but didn't see it listed as an excursion. I assume you didn't book it through Disney. If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost per person? Thanks!

On Key West, someone mentioned Mallory Square. That really lights up at sunset, during the day it is shops and outdoor mall type atmosphere.
The southernmost point is a good hike, perhaps made worse for me on my trek by the 150% humidity and 95 degree heat. Family turned back and I went it alone fortified only by frozen key lime pie on a stick. Had to stop by captain Tony's at the return to get my sea legs back and dehydrate some more. I think the trolley goes there but I wasn't thinking straight by four steps out of the a/c so I walked both ways.

workingmom302 said:
Can you tell me about the private shark tour? How long is it and who did you book through? My daughter and I have been talking about doing a shark tour but didn't see it listed as an excursion. I assume you didn't book it through Disney. If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost per person? Thanks!

We looked on the internet for things to do and found a guy and negotiated a rate. It is a 2-3 hour gig. I think the regular rate was just under a hundred per person.
Hope we aren't the bait. If we aren't back in time send a search party. Christi and I have booked private tours on multiple past cruises and it is kind of a gut call on voiding the ship's excursion coverage policy.

BlueMarlin said:
On Key West, someone mentioned Mallory Square. That really lights up at sunset, during the day it is shops and outdoor mall type atmosphere.
The southernmost point is a good hike, perhaps made worse for me on my trek by the 150% humidity and 95 degree heat. Family turned back and I went it alone fortified only by frozen key lime pie on a stick. Had to stop by captain Tony's at the return to get my sea legs back and dehydrate some more. I think the trolley goes there but I wasn't thinking straight by four steps out of the a/c so I walked both ways.

I am worried about the heat as well. We are waiting to decide weather to do the trolley or just walk and it depends on the heat and humidity. You would think from living in the south and born in south fl I'd be use to it but that's not the case. Some family told me it was about a mile and a half one way does that sound about right or was it longer?

The shark excursion sounds really cool.

Does anyone know if its customary to tip daily to your housekeepers and servers? Or do you pay one time at the end?

So I just had a dream and thought id share. joe and the kids and I got off the ship in Alaska instead of Key West. The only thing I was worried about being in Alaska was not getting the good key lime pie...priorities. Never mind that our entire ship was somewhere else. Gotta love crazy dreams!

You can search eco tours in Key West.

I believe that the shark tour was around $87 pp. But, We are paying a little more pp since we chartered the entire boat for the 14 of us.

Does anyone know if its customary to tip daily to your housekeepers and servers? Or do you pay one time at the end?

You tip at the end. DCL has a $ per day per person tipping formula so at the end of the cruise, they tallied how much they recommend you to tip your housekkeper, waiter, etc. They will slip that information under your door the day before disembarkment. If you find that acceptable, then that's what you'll tip each person. If one of your personal staff went above and beyond and you want to give him/her more than what was recommended, then you can go to guest service that same day and ask them to adjust it according to how much you want to give more and vice versa for someone who did less than par.
Hope that helps.

Hi BlueMarlin,

Can you add us to the 2nd FE list? Do we PM you or list the information here?
Thanx.

The tips will be applied to your account. You will receive tickets with your servers, stateroom host,etc names on them. You will hand them out.

If you are not eating in the dining room on the last night, you can leave them at guest services.

Tips are just under $100 a person for this cruise.

Answer
It is customary to give gratuities in recognition of service, which you will be treated to in abundance aboard the ship. As a guideline, we suggest the following, but gratuities are always at your discretion:

Per Guest per cruise 3-Night 4-Night 7-Night
Dining Room Server $12.00 $16.00 $28.00
Dining Room Asst. Server$9.00 $12.00 $21.00
Dining Room Head Server $3.00 $4.00 $7.00
Stateroom Host/
Hostess $12.00 $16.00 $28.00
Dining Manager Your Discretion
Room Service Your Discretion
Palo Gratuity included
Vista Spa & Salon Your Discretion
Babysitting Gratuity not expected
Port Adventures Optional;
not included in port
adventure price.
You can choose to pre-pay gratuities for your party up to three days before your vacation begins by contacting Disney Cruise Line; or, for the convenience of our Guests who have not pre-paid, the suggested gratuity amounts will be added to your onboard account, based on the length of your voyage as shown in the table above.

If you wish to modify or make changes to the gratuity amounts or would like to pay in cash, please stop by our Guest Services desk, located on Deck 3, Mid-ship, at anytime during your sailing.

Please note, a 15% gratuity is automatically added to bar, beverage, wine and deck service tabs. All gratuities can be charged to your room charge. (At the Walt Disney World Resort, 15% is the customary gratuity at restaurants and bars.)

Anyone else having trouble logging it to the disney site to change your info? I've been getting an error message for two days now, and I need to change something on our check in.

So I just had a dream and thought id share. joe and the kids and I got off the ship in Alaska instead of Key West. The only thing I was worried about being in Alaska was not getting the good key lime pie...priorities. Never mind that our entire ship was somewhere else. Gotta love crazy dreams!

:rotfl::rotfl2:

I would be more worried if I had the right clothes. But this is coming from someone who dreams that they are on the ship that they forgot all the bathing suits at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter