Marathon Weekend 2022

I am going to set up a Pace Pro at 3:15 also
If you set up a Pace Pro and are going faster than the set pace, does it alert you a lot? I suppose I should try it out this weekend. (I want to set it for 16:00 because I am worried about being too slow.)

Anyone know when the marathon corrals open? I plan to get to the parking lot when it opens and wait in my car for a while. I want to get near the front of my corral to give me as much cushion from the balloon ladies. I did this in 2020 but can't remember when I left my car. Hopefully they won't have to rush the start like 2020. I felt like the balloon ladies were too close for comfort.

If you set up a Pace Pro and are going faster than the set pace, does it alert you a lot? I suppose I should try it out this weekend. (I want to set it for 16:00 because I am worried about being too slow.)

Not really, at least not to my recollection. I used it for a half at the very beginning of my training cycle and ran about a minute faster than my planned pace. It isn't like the alerts if you are doing a workout above or below the target pace. There might be settings but I don't recall any auditory indication of pace at all, just visual. DCRainmaker has a good video on it here.

We are not doing MW this year so I have been avoiding this board because of my FOMO. But, I am so excited for all of you! I just rewatched Arno's video from the 2020 race and had tears in my eyes. If it's your first Marathon Weekend or 20th, it will be special for some reason. I hope everyone stays healthy and transportation gets you there on time!

Also, lots of hopes that the weather cooperates for each of you to enjoy yourselves. Can't wait to read the race recaps!

Officially was able to cancel, refunded as a $600 GC as usual. Email or call if you're in the same boat as me!

I must have missed any previous posts but what boat is that? I'm just curious what exceptions rD is making due to, I'm assuming here, the pandemic.

I checked to see if they updated the FAQ due to the spike in cases and it doesn't look like it:

Anyone know when the marathon corrals open? I plan to get to the parking lot when it opens and wait in my car for a while. I want to get near the front of my corral to give me as much cushion from the balloon ladies. I did this in 2020 but can't remember when I left my car. Hopefully they won't have to rush the start like 2020. I felt like the balloon ladies were too close for comfort.

For the marathon, it is usually 75-90 min before the race starts. So 3:30-3:45am based on past history. And I should say that is the walk to the corrals from the holding area after gear check.

I must have missed any previous posts but what boat is that? I'm just curious what exceptions rD is making due to, I'm assuming here, the pandemic.

I checked to see if they updated the FAQ due to the spike in cases and it doesn't look like it:

View attachment 634273
I live with someone moderately immunocompromised. We were ok with the risk when the vaccines and monoclonal antibodies worked fairly well, but the new variant evades both so that pushed us over our risk tolerance.

Extremely bummed about it but it’s the safe choice for us. Working on cancelling everything else tomorrow :(

View attachment 634273
I’ve now heard of a good number of people who have gotten refunds in the form of gift cards for a variety of reasons. It seems it isn’t official policy but they are issuing gift cards to those who ask for a refund. It’s a hard decision. I’ve trained for so long for this and who knows if I will be healthy and injury free next time but I am really concerned about staffing for the race due to covid numbers, and also that Disney may cut back a lot of the on course experience due to staffing or general crowd concerns. I know they aren’t doing this at the parks but we have to remember that people running long distances will need medical care and that has to be an additional consideration for the races (other than just crowds).

View attachment 634273
Yeah this is sorta new, I think someone had posted a few days ago about getting a completely different answer? For those people who have been told no, it might be worth following up.

My first Disney Marathon was 2014. It had been 28 years since my first marathon, but it was my second. The nerves are definitely normal. I still have them before just about every race.
As runningDisneygirl said, do not worry about the results. A Disney race is an EVENT! Take it in and enjoy. I guarantee you will have a tear in your eye when you see and hear the gospel
singers.
Amen about how great it is to see and hear the gospel choir!

I’ve now heard of a good number of people who have gotten refunds in the form of gift cards for a variety of reasons. It seems it isn’t official policy but they are issuing gift cards to those who ask for a refund.
For what it is worth, my husband is no longer doing the marathon and we were told no refund this week.

I am concerned about the potential heat next weekend. For the marathon, would it be crazy to carry my 3L bladder in my vest (as opposed to my 1.5L bladder)? And if I do, should I put 4 packs of Tailwind in it (1 p/ 24 oz)? I know the 3L is heavier but I’ll be moving slowly so I’m not sure it will make much of a difference.

I am also planning on eating one clif blok per mile (alternating between salted watermelon w/ 2x sodium and tropical punch (?) w/ caffeine) and drinking a PH 1500 90 min before the race starts. I sweat A LOT. Like, grains of salt on my face and fingers swelling a lot.

I am concerned about the potential heat next weekend. For the marathon, would it be crazy to carry my 3L bladder in my vest (as opposed to my 1.5L bladder)? And if I do, should I put 4 packs of Tailwind in it (1 p/ 24 oz)? I know the 3L is heavier but I’ll be moving slowly so I’m not sure it will make much of a difference.

I am also planning on eating one clif blok per mile (alternating between salted watermelon w/ 2x sodium and tropical punch (?) w/ caffeine) and drinking a PH 1500 90 min before the race starts. I sweat A LOT. Like, grains of salt on my face and fingers swelling a lot.
I vote no on a 3L vest unless you have done a LOT of training with it. I trained with a 1.5L vest this summer. I put a few extra things in it for my full (extra fuel, socks, etc, nothing super heavy) and it felt soooo heavy by mile 19. And I had new chafing from it which was great. And I’m slow. I can’t imagine carrying double. In the heat. I think it would be better to stick with the 1.5L and make sure you hit the water tables at the aid stations and supplement with your vest. Or plan to refill your vest at some point (will they let you do that?)

Do y'all think I should start packing? I leave on January 5th. I should start packing, right?

:cutie: I'm packing.

we leave on the 4th and I’m trying sooooo hard to not pack until Saturday. That’s why I made all of the lists today 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter