Marathon Weekend 2022

Sounds like a crazy question at this late date, BUT: Given all the concrete in the parks, would you wear shoes with a carbon plate (Hoka Carbon X to be precise) in a Disney race? These are not brand-new shoes, I ran my last (road) marathon in them, but I have had an issue with lower leg pain when running at Disney in the past. Granted I weighed a lot more then, and was much less running-fit, but I attributed part of it to the hard surfaces in the parks. I'm wondering if I should try using the carbon shoes or if that's pushing it. I'm running Goofy and thinking of using the carbons for the half and cushy shoes for the full.

Or plan to refill your vest at some point (will they let you do that?)
I think they will, but I am worried about how much time it will take. I do a few backpacking trips a year where I’m carrying 30+ lbs on my back with more elevation usually, so I’m used to the heavier weight but I have been training with the 1.5L and not the 3L. For what it’s worth the 1.5 has never bothered me. I might try filling up the 3L for my long walk this weekend to see how it goes.

I think they will, but I am worried about how much time it will take. I do a few backpacking trips a year where I’m carrying 30+ lbs on my back with more elevation usually, so I’m used to the heavier weight but I have been training with the 1.5L and not the 3L. For what it’s worth the 1.5 has never bothered me. I might try filling up the 3L for my long walk this weekend to see how it goes.

As of now I’m planning to carry my 2.0L. For me I’m not sure id want much more on my back. Definitely a big fan of carrying my own water though!

I originally booked BLT for monorail access to the marathon, and ease of walking to MK for spectating family. Now my plan is to drive to the race. I know nothing about the FL roads, so the driving directions in the race guide are pretty foreign to me. Being that BLT is pretty much right on the race course, I am concerned about road closures. Any advice on driving to the marathon? Best time to leave the resort (I have no issue with arriving early and waiting it out in the car)? Can I put Epcot in my phone to get me there, or do the driving directions take you a different way? If a family member chooses to ride with me, will they be able to walk to Epcot when the park opens and then walk to the finish line to see me finish? Any other things I should be aware of that I haven’t considered? I’m not fast, so I don’t anticipate issues getting back to the resort, but am I wrong in that assumption?

:thanks:

Just a heads up, my JetBlue flight to Orlando was cancelled, not automatically rescheduled but was able to grab another flight later in the day. If anything happens to this one though I’m strongly going to consider just driving down.
You're not alone with considering driving vs. flying. I'm thinking about the same thing. Where would you be driving from?

So far my transatlantic flight seems good to go. I do have a Delta flight attached to it to get me from Boston to Orlando on next Monday. Hoping for not to many glitches on the way, but I's sure they wil re-route my in time (having some airline frequent flyer status and flying Delta One might help). After completing my Dopye, I'll face another "challenge" when I get back home. I'll have to stay in home quarantine for 10 days (just been announced yesterday).

A note about hot marathon weather: looking at my data from 2020 WDW Marathon (when it was brutally hot and humid - think it was a record hot race? - and course was shortened), we had a starting temp of 70, 90% humidity. So the current forecast of a start in the high-50s/low-60s is a much better prospect, at least!

A note about hot marathon weather: looking at my data from 2020 WDW Marathon (when it was brutally hot and humid - think it was a record hot race? - and course was shortened), we had a starting temp of 70, 90% humidity. So the current forecast of a start in the high-50s/low-60s is a much better prospect, at least!
Thank you for this! Recently, I've gone from "I hope it's around 40 at start time" to "I hope it's not so hot that they cut the course short and I don't get my 26.2."

Sounds like a crazy question at this late date, BUT: Given all the concrete in the parks, would you wear shoes with a carbon plate (Hoka Carbon X to be precise) in a Disney race? These are not brand-new shoes, I ran my last (road) marathon in them, but I have had an issue with lower leg pain when running at Disney in the past. Granted I weighed a lot more then, and was much less running-fit, but I attributed part of it to the hard surfaces in the parks. I'm wondering if I should try using the carbon shoes or if that's pushing it. I'm running Goofy and thinking of using the carbons for the half and cushy shoes for the full.

I'm unaware of any reason why you'd avoid wearing a carbon plate shoe on concrete. Is there some source that you've read? For me, one of the concerns with a carbon plate shoe at Disney is the high stack height combined with the extreme camber on the on/off ramps. So just keep that in mind to ensure you don't tweak your ankles.

I'm too lazy to look at the race guide ... is the pre-race area laid out the same as in previous Marathon Weekends? I'm trying to plan the morning meetups.

I put some guidance in the DIS List. But let me know if you want me to change it.

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 6.53.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 6.54.07 AM.png

Good news, recent forecast is better morning and afternoon than 2020. T+D of 122-140 at 5am to 1pm.

Attachments

• 2022 MW DIS LIST - First Draft 2021-12-20.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 18
I originally booked BLT for monorail access to the marathon, and ease of walking to MK for spectating family. Now my plan is to drive to the race. I know nothing about the FL roads, so the driving directions in the race guide are pretty foreign to me. Being that BLT is pretty much right on the race course, I am concerned about road closures. Any advice on driving to the marathon? Best time to leave the resort (I have no issue with arriving early and waiting it out in the car)? Can I put Epcot in my phone to get me there, or do the driving directions take you a different way? If a family member chooses to ride with me, will they be able to walk to Epcot when the park opens and then walk to the finish line to see me finish? Any other things I should be aware of that I haven’t considered? I’m not fast, so I don’t anticipate issues getting back to the resort, but am I wrong in that assumption?

:thanks:

The marathon will be the worst of the races to get to from BLT. Some of the road--especially from World Drive to Epcot Center Drive--will be closed starting Saturday night. Do NOT count on your phone driving directions. If you really want to drive, leave super early (2:30-3:00) and go World Drive to Vista Blvd. You can take Vista to Bonnet Creek to Buena Vista to World Drive to Epcot Center Drive . Buena Vista can be awful with race traffic, though. So another option is to jump on I-4 to Osceola to World Drive (You can do this by turning onto Buena Vista from Bonnet Creek and then go right onto Epcot Center Drive heading towards I-4).

Anyone with you will end up in the Epcot parking lot and can go where they want.

The marathon will be the worst of the races to get to from BLT. Some of the road--especially from World Drive to Epcot Center Drive--will be closed starting Saturday night. Do NOT count on your phone driving directions. If you really want to drive, leave super early (2:30-3:00) and go World Drive to Vista Blvd. You can take Vista to Bonnet Creek to Buena Vista to World Drive to Epcot Center Drive . Buena Vista can be awful with race traffic, though. So another option is to jump on I-4 to Osceola to World Drive (You can do this by turning onto Buena Vista from Bonnet Creek and then go right onto Epcot Center Drive heading towards I-4).

Anyone with you will end up in the Epcot parking lot and can go where they want.

I'm also considering driving as we may try to avoid bus transportation on this trip. Anyone have tips for driving from Boardwalk on race morning?

I thought so too, but it’s too late to change resorts. I saw the road closures map but didn’t realize they start that the evening before. Is it even possible to drive from BLT? I’d like to avoid public transportation if possible so we’re renting a car, and I’m absolutely okay with leaving early. I’m going to print out your options and try to look it up on a map. Thanks!

Since the subject of driving has come up, this question is about toll roads from MCO to
Disney. Is it best to just take a lot of one dollar bills and a bunch of quarters? Also I just
read about a "Visitor Toll Pass" that is available at MCO and they claim there is no charge
to use it and they just charge your credit card for the tolls..sounds like a winner.....has anyone used this? thanks

would it be crazy to carry my 3L bladder
Thats ALOT of extra weight. Personally, I wouldnt even carry a 1.5L pack with water every couple of miles. MAYBE a hand bottle and really take your time at each stop drinking multiple cups.

Avoid the caffeine until maybe the last 45 minutes or so, increase hydration in the days leading up to the race, consider things like a neck cooling towel or wetting a thin gaiter at each stop and take advantage of the pre-sunrise miles. Run those smart, steady and with a purpose because they will setup everything that happens from 8am on.

Last edited:
I do a few backpacking trips a year where I’m carrying 30+ lbs on my back with more elevation usually, so I’m used to the heavier weight but I have been training with the 1.5L and not the 3L. For what it’s worth the 1.5 has never bothered me. I might try filling up the 3L for my long walk this weekend to see how it goes.
In training and on hikes most people do not have access to water/fluids every two miles. You need to make sure you have fluids to last you 30 minutes or so if you are really taking your time. The more weight you carry the more water you'll need to help keep cool and hydrate your muscles.

I'm unaware of any reason why you'd avoid wearing a carbon plate shoe on concrete. Is there some source that you've read? For me, one of the concerns with a carbon plate shoe at Disney is the high stack height combined with the extreme camber on the on/off ramps. So just keep that in mind to ensure you don't tweak your ankles.

I put some guidance in the DIS List. But let me know if you want me to change it.

View attachment 634345

View attachment 634346

Good news, recent forecast is better morning and afternoon than 2020. T+D of 122-140 at 5am to 1pm.

Perfect! Thanks, Billy!

I'll run point for the half marathon and marathon pre-race meetups. I am very tall and very handsome (50 percent of those things are true), so I'm easy to find in the morning. I tend to get on the first bus and get there early. I will accept shots. Past Marathon Weekend participants will recall my expensive and exquisite "DIS" signs. I've also attached a picture of myself.

Attachments

• Liberty.jpg
    Liberty.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 50
Since the subject of driving has come up, this question is about toll roads from MCO to
Disney. Is it best to just take a lot of one dollar bills and a bunch of quarters? Also I just
read about a "Visitor Toll Pass" that is available at MCO and they claim there is no charge
to use it and they just charge your credit card for the tolls..sounds like a winner.....has anyone used this? thanks
Just drive through the "Pay by Plate" lane. You're supposed to get a bill in the mail but that being said, I have never gotten one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter