Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD: Can’t promise anything, but the costume is still intact and may be making an appearance for the 5k:
View attachment 618251
My niece is planning on running for the first time this year, so it’s really up to her.

After the 5k I prefer normal running clothes because of packing and I’m not artistically inclined.

My daughters and I were talking about RunDisney running costumes yesterday and one of them mentioned Winnie the Pooh characters. I said, “I know a guy!”

SAFD: I’d love to try a costume, but as this is my first “just” marathon I want to prioritize comfort and actually finishing the race. Maybe in future years… My daughters would love to see me dressed up as a Kingdom Hearts character. 😂

At least in terms of super heroes, there are a ton of compression shirts that work for running and at Disney. I’ve run in them for nearly all of my marathons. But they tend to be thin, so sometimes you have to throw a base layer on underneath.

SAFD: I've chronicled my costumes many times on various threads here, but in the spirit of answering the question, I've gone from just being happy to be running a marathon in Disney and just wanting to get through it, thus no costume just a shirt with a picture of a character on it; to being a costumed idiot. My favorite has probably been my "curtain dress" of Giselle's from Enchanted. I don't ever want to be one of like 4 Snow Whites in an on-course race photo, so I wind up picking things that not everybody thinks of right away. But then I wind up disappointed that only a few spectators recognize what I'm going for :confused3 I swore if I ever run a Disney race again, I was doing a straightforward princess, but I'm already planning off-the-beaten-path costumes for MW.

If I can pull them off well (meaning if my mom can pull them off well, I'm more the idea person and she has to make them) this year's MW might be my favorites: I'm planning First Mate Piggy from Pigs in Space for the half, and Gazelle (Shakira) from Zootopia for the full. I'm going to print "Try Everything" on my shirt for the Gazelle outfit so I'm more recognizable. Still figuring how to do her horns without poking corral-mates in the eye. I'm thinking shorter, less-dramatic versions.

I have never done a costume - though I have done several Disney races in my C3PO and R2D2 Inknburn running clothes, so it looks like a costume.

My kids are super into Descendants right now, and they're actually going to be with me for the Disney Marathon, so I'm trying to see if I can come up with a Descendants-themed costume to surprise them when they see me on the course. I usually prefer comfort though! We'll see what I can find

At the base of all my costumes -- at least for the longer distances -- are always running clothes. I usually try to find a Bolder Athletic skirt design that works and a running shirt or tank. If I need, I can layer neutral leggings, arm sleeves, etc for weather.

Etsy is a great source, too. There are some makers there who will do custom stuff in athletic materials, and it feels just like regular running clothes.

I also don't like to hold props, so if I have to have something like that I try to attach it to myself instead. And no wigs over 10K distance!

Last edited:
SAFD: Love seeing all the great costumes out there and often I am amazed how some people can get through the longer races with some of them. Unfortunately I don't have enough creativity for any interesting costumes and I'm generally too focused on not dying during the race, so not running in costume gives me one one less thing to worry about. Last year when I ran the 5-K with my two older DDs, they helped me do a Disney-bound style outfit (they were the step sisters and I was Lady Tremaine) and that was fun.
Watched a marathon vid with a few guys dressed as Marvel characters and the guy dressed as Doctor Strange was apparently totally gassed by the end of it (well, more than usual for a marathon at least). Part of that was due to the weather that day but it doesn't help if you're wearing a costume with long sleeves, a cape, and you're holding props the whole time.

SAFD: I’m not not doing full costumes. I’m using sparkle skirts and running clothes I’ve found on Etsy. I think it’s fun to be themed but I don’t want to be uncomfortable.
5k- Anna- themed leggings and for the first time in forever tank (thought the saying was appropriate for my first rd race back)
10k- generic castle sparkle skirt and run for the bling tank
Half- it’s a small world themed sparkle skirt and visor with tank that says happiest run on earth
Marathon- Minnie sparkle skirt and visor, black shirt and I have Minnie sparkle sleeves but I’m undecided on those.

SAFD: I've never stopped for Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland, but I'm hoping he is there for the half this year, because my planned costume is Miss Piggy in her First Mate Piggy Pigs in Space outfit and I'd like to get that picture with another space officer! Boring to everyone else I'm sure because he is there every year.
I also agree with @lhermiston that the old ride vehicles etc are some of the best photo stops. I like seeing the real animals outside of AK but I don't usually stop to get a photo with a goat. They are fun to see though as you go by.
I'm not going to stop for a goat, but I did stop for a couple of the birds of prey. They were/are so impressive to get to see up close. I think the "rarest" character I've ever seen is Zorro, along with Davey Crockett.
Emperor Zurg? That would be so cool. And now that Disney owns Star Wars, I'd love to see Darth Vader and other SW characters. And with Zurg being a knockoff of a SW character, having him there with the SW gang would be a bit of mashup irony.

Has anyone been able to apply the new AP discount to their hotel reservation for MW weekend? I have two reservations and neither worked with the discount. Gran Destino Tower and Port Orleans Riverside.

Side note - I will be releasing my Riverside room. I was waiting to see what the discounts were. So if you are still looking for a room we can try to coordinate so you can grab it.

SAFD: No clue at all what I'll wear for Dopey - I rarely go full costumes for that weekend because the weather is sooooo unpredictable: comfort always >> looks. But I really love seeing other people's epic costume games! Some favorites off the top of my head: Peter Pan and his shadow, the guy dressed as Kronk carrying that giant Yzma-in-a-tent thing, George Lucas, my friend who dressed as holiday Mary Poppins complete with 3D cardboard carousel horse.

I see the full marathon is open again on the Run Disney site.

Quick question. Rough idea of temp at race start ??

Like @PrincessV states above there is essentially a 60° range depending on the year. We might have an idea how temperatures are trending a few weeks out but I'd pack for the entire range so you are prepared. You don't want to see warmer temps, pack shorts and a singlet, and then a cold front goes through and you have to scramble locally or run cold.

Somewhere between 20* and 80*. I am not joking.
Like @PrincessV states above there is essentially a 60° range depending on the year. We might have an idea how temperatures are trending a few weeks out but I'd pack for the entire range so you are prepared. You don't want to see warmer temps, pack shorts and a singlet, and then a cold front goes through and you have to scramble locally or run cold.
Seriously, two years ago the temps for the 5K and 10K were darn near perfect, but two days later for the marathon, we had record highs. Up until 12-24 hours before, we may actually not know.

Marathon Weekend 2017 is my go-to example of this. Friday we were sitting in shorts and t-shirts under a warm sun at the Hurricane Hannah’s meet-up following a 5k & 10k that were a bit on the warm side. That night a string front brought strong storms that resulted in the cancelled half marathon and plummeting temps. The marathon started Sunday morning with temps in the low 30s and wind chills in the mid-20s!

The moral of the story:
90A5916F-38AE-43FE-A147-D1F2CB6BC0D2.jpeg

The marathon started Sunday morning with temps in the low 30s and wind chills in the mid-20s!
I would so much prefer freezing temps to boiling hot ones! If it's above 40, I'll go running in shorts and a t-shirt (who needs to have feeling in their arms, anyway?) but it's just so brutal trying to run in the heat.

Has anyone been able to apply the new AP discount to their hotel reservation for MW weekend? I have two reservations and neither worked with the discount. Gran Destino Tower and Port Orleans Riverside.

Side note - I will be releasing my Riverside room. I was waiting to see what the discounts were. So if you are still looking for a room we can try to coordinate so you can grab it.
I tried to see what the discounted rates for Pop would be and apply them if lower, but I could not see any availability.

Watched a marathon vid with a few guys dressed as Marvel characters and the guy dressed as Doctor Strange was apparently totally gassed by the end of it (well, more than usual for a marathon at least). Part of that was due to the weather that day but it doesn't help if you're wearing a costume with long sleeves, a cape, and you're holding props the whole time.

Arno makes some great videos, it's crazy he doesn't get more views. Guess he doesn't hit the algorithms right. But yeah, the 2020 marathon was insanely hot. I know I just wanted it to be over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter