Marathon Weekend 2022

Has anyone run in one of those goofy or Pluto hats with the extra long bill? I’m working on DH’s running costume and genie is his absolute favorite character so I’m trying to put together tourist genie and the hat is really a big part of it (IMO) but he’s not sold on the hat. I’m not sure if he’s concerned about the bill flopping around or it being too hot to run in or what.

My husband is running as tourist genie for the Wine and Dine Half in less than 2 weeks. I got him one of those hats, so I'll let you know how bad it is.

SAFD: All I really care to stop for are Adventurer's Club, Vader, and Emperor Palpatine. If Adventurer's Club members showed up in multiple spots along a course, I'd stop for them all lol!

What I really love are props and scenes.

Yes! Any Adventurer's Club members are an automatic stop (and most likely includes belting out the theme song as we run away).

I finally got my hotel booked! First two nights at Universal's Hard Rock Hotel (the Express Pass will be nice for arrival, 5K and 10K days) and then moving to Cabana Bay for the rest of our trip.

Now I just need to arrange transportation (modify rental car now that we know where we are staying) and that's it. Oh, and do the training and make the money to pay for everything.

5k run happening in 10 weeks today. I'm a little behind my Galloway training due to a couple trips I had to take but I should be able to catch up easy enough. I'll likely ignore a couple of the magical mile running weeks.

MW transportation question - with Magical Express going away, how are those of you who are flying in planning to get to WDW? I don't want to rent a car as I don't need it once I'm on property, but wondering if anyone has looked into shuttle options vs Uber

MW transportation question - with Magical Express going away, how are those of you who are flying in planning to get to WDW? I don't want to rent a car as I don't need it once I'm on property, but wondering if anyone has looked into shuttle options vs Uber

mears is going to offer a shuttle that is allegedly going to be the same as ME was (you’ll have to get your own baggage though), just with a fee. I think it’s like $17/direction. Private cars/shuttles NOT rideshares are upwards of $200 iirc

and a lot of rental car companies are charging a one-way fee if you were thinking about renting a car and dropping it off at the car care center or at a hotel rental desk near disney spring which negates any savings you could potentially have there.

I plan on renting a car for the day so that I can: go to the expo, go to the grocery store, run any errands. Fortunately, I have a corporate rate so it's fairly cheap and there is no one way drop off.

Note: I fly in on Friday morning and arrive around 9:30. I can probably comfortably drive 2-3 people/luggage. So if anyone gets in before 10, and wants in on the "jmasgat non-express", PM me.

Our party of 2 (my wife and I) are signed up for Mears Connect. It is $16/pp each way. So it is adding an additional $64 on to the cost of our trip vs. Magical Express.

Oh yeah, and we'll need to collect our bags from baggage claim, unlike with Magical Express.

Our party of 2 (my wife and I) are signed up for Mears Connect. It is $16/pp each way. So it is adding an additional $64 on to the cost of our trip vs. Magical Express.

Oh yeah, and we'll need to collect our bags from baggage claim, unlike with Magical Express.

Magical Express stopped collecting and delivering bags back at the start of COVID, so that’s not really a difference these days.

We'll probably Uber/Lyft, the ballpark cost is ~36. It's easier to pay the extra 5 bucks over what Mears will charge for 2 people to get immediate service and a direct trip.
This exactly. If you're a party of one the shuttle is cheaper but at 2 it becomes a wash and will likely take longer with additional stops.

We were planning on taking an Uber XL for our family of 4 for this reason. Does anyone know how Uber is doing lately in Orlando? Are they easily available when you need them?

For Marathon weekend and Wine and Dine, I am going down the rental car route. I have done this a few times in the past and it works out well because I really did not like Magical Express and I am guessing I will dislike the Mears experience even more. I often opted for this route or using Uber/Lyft even when Magical Express was free.

Due to flight changes and in the case of Wine and Dine, a late in the game decision to do the 5K, I am coming in earlier than our original DVC reservation booked at 11 months. So in both cases I am staying one night and then transferring resorts. I can get a one way rental from MCO to the Disney Care Care on National (Emerald Aisle) for ~ $45 with a corporate code. I always hated the wait for the Magical Express bus and the stops at the other resorts. With the Emerald Aisle, I go straight to our car with no lines or counter stops and then drive directly to the resort or theme park depending on what time I get in.

The next day, I can use the car to transfer to the new resort and also do a quick grocery run to get some food, water, alcohol, etc for the room for the week. I drop the car at the Car Care Center and they quickly give me a free ride back to the resort or to wherever.

I have also often used Uber/Lyft and it is about $35/$40 one way. That would be my second choice if I did not go down the rental car route.

Last edited:
I'm renting a car for several reasons. One, I get in mid-afternoon on Wednesday and don't want to waste any time getting to the expo, especially if my flight ends up delayed, plus then I can do my own grocery shopping. Two, I'm a solo female traveler and Uber/Lyft make me nervous. Three, I want to have more time at the parks on the day of departure so with my own car I can leave for the airport when I want. Last, depending on weather I might drive to the races and stay warm in the car!

I got a pretty good rate on a car using the UT buy a ticket get 50% off a car rate. It also helps that I'm alone and can get a super tiny car.

My family is coming in on 12/31, we are spending a few days in the parks before the races. So we were able to get the last day of MME to WDW, and then get return trip also. They are honoring returns to MCO up to the day of the marathon. So my wife and youngest will get to take it back. My oldest and I are staying for two extra days and will have to purchase mears to return to MCO.

Last edited:

We're staying at Universal, but have similar transportation dilemmas. What we did for the Princess challenge last time worked well - I got a private car (more on that below) from the airport. He took us to a grocery store, stopped at Universal to drop off our bags and then took us to the Expo. We took an Uber back to Universal. THEN we picked up a rental car from our hotel the next day, kept it for the race days (I just did the 10K and half), and then returned it immediately thereafter. Then got a private car back to the hotel two days later. It actually came out cheaper since I didn't have to pay for parking for the entire trip. So don't be afraid to think outside the box as transportation isn't always an "either/or" thing.

Private cars/shuttles NOT rideshares are upwards of $200 iirc

We usually pay $120 for a round-trip to and from Universal so a private car is NOT that expensive and can actually be cheaper if you have a number of people. I love the person who does our transport and it doesn't feel like our vacation has actually started until we meet him at the airport. Hassle free airport transport is the one thing that I do to "treat" myself. I had a terrible experience with a shuttle once that almost made me miss my flight and right then and there I said "never again."

Sorry if this has been asked before/recently...

Are there any pre-orders available for marathon weekend? I can't find them and I like to get the preorder jacket and some pins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter