Marathon Weekend 2020

I would like some validation from fellow runners on my training plan considering my recent, although very typical, afflictions...

Timeline:
  • Nov 8th: Achiles tendon hurts bad
  • Nov 11th: Half-Marathon at easy pace then no run
  • December: Podiatrist confirms Achiles not damaged, resume running, recovery runs and strength training, no speed work, 55 miles total
  • January: A bit faster running, focus on stretching/massage therapist, snowy/icy conditions prevent speed work and consistent schedule, 52 miles total
  • Jan 27th: Last long run 10 miles
  • Jan 31st: Last run
  • Feb 5th: Bronchitis confirmed, on antibiotics
  • Feb 17th: Half Marathon (!)
Knowing that training has been less than optimal in the last three months, I obviously have no PR objective on that Half. My question is what kind of training do I do until then?

I think that it is too late and too ugly outside to try to squeeze a catch-up long run, risks of injuries are not worth it. And I am still too sick to resume running. Do I just ignore the situation and do what I would do for a normal to very trimmed taper... almost just to remind my legs what running is?

That would be:
  • Feb 8th: 5k if health allows
  • Feb 10th: 1 hour long run
  • Feb 12th and 14th: 5k runs
Reading the following did comfort me...

ETA: Sorry, I should have posted this on the running thread... I just don’t know how to move it.

Personally, I think the worst thing you can do is to try and play catch-up. You're likely to induce more fatigue than you can overcome by the time the race comes. I think first and foremost is mentally accepting that you won't be in peak condition (which you have accepted). Then, it's a matter of doing what you've outlined as long as it isn't greatly excessive to what you were doing before (which doesn't appear to be the case although your 10 miler does account for 19% of all mileage run in January). But I would agree, that a plan like you outlined above is probably in your best interest for balancing the time you have left and the circumstances leading into it. I'd keep the pacing slow, and maybe do some strides (or very brief [like 15-30 seconds] periods of picking the pace up) in the 2/12 and 2/14 runs.

As for fitness loss in 9 days (1/31 to 2/8), Daniels calculation from his book would suggest a loss of VO2max fitness of ~1.5%. Or in training terms, if you were a 7:00 minute miler (like this):

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 1.22.28 PM.png

Now you would be a 7:06 minute miler (like this) upon returning to run on 2/8:

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 1.22.59 PM.png

I say equal time off to equal time return (or 2x return) which essentially puts you very close to the same position you were in on 1/31 as you will be on 2/17. Does that mean if on 1/31 you could have run a 1:47 HM, that on 2/17 you would also then be able to run a 1:47 HM. Not necessarily. But the amount of fitness loss is much smaller than you would probably think. It's hard to put a concrete number on it though because that gets much further down into the nuances of racing/peaking.

Personally, I think the worst thing you can do is to try and play catch-up. You're likely to induce more fatigue than you can overcome by the time the race comes. I think first and foremost is mentally accepting that you won't be in peak condition (which you have accepted). Then, it's a matter of doing what you've outlined as long as it isn't greatly excessive to what you were doing before (which doesn't appear to be the case although your 10 miler does account for 19% of all mileage run in January). But I would agree, that a plan like you outlined above is probably in your best interest for balancing the time you have left and the circumstances leading into it. I'd keep the pacing slow, and maybe do some strides (or very brief [like 15-30 seconds] periods of picking the pace up) in the 2/12 and 2/14 runs.

As for fitness loss in 9 days (1/31 to 2/8), Daniels calculation from his book would suggest a loss of VO2max fitness of ~1.5%. Or in training terms, if you were a 7:00 minute miler (like this):

View attachment 380913

Now you would be a 7:06 minute miler (like this) upon returning to run on 2/8:

View attachment 380914

I say equal time off to equal time return (or 2x return) which essentially puts you very close to the same position you were in on 1/31 as you will be on 2/17. Does that mean if on 1/31 you could have run a 1:47 HM, that on 2/17 you would also then be able to run a 1:47 HM. Not necessarily. But the amount of fitness loss is much smaller than you would probably think. It's hard to put a concrete number on it though because that gets much further down into the nuances of racing/peaking.
Thank you for reassuring me that way.
I had forgotten about the pre-race strides, that will certainly help putting my legs into gears.

My Vo2 capacity is probably more impacted by the bronchitis than by the reduced training: I sometimes feel dizzy doing nothing this week. The lungs should be ok as long as I give myself a chance to heal properly. So x2 for not inducing fatigue.

So I’ll be going into this Half the least prepared I ever been, my expectations are in line with it. I’ll try to have fun but, in any case, it will be a [running] life experience!

Yay!! My first post in this thread. We just completed walking our reservation at Bay Lake Tower so we are IN for 2020!! We all had so much fun this year and cannot wait to do it again. I did Goofy as part of my first marathon in 2019. Leaning toward doing Dopey in 2020 because...well...it is the next logical progression, right? My daughter is considering doing Dopey, too which will make the decision easier if she does it. At a minimum I am in for the half marathon and most likely Goofy.

Just booked BCVs from 1/8 - 16 for another run at the 2020 Marathon Weekend! We'll be running the 10k and 1/2 marathon [Tweedle Dumb Challenge]. This will be our 15th year in a row running, mostly the 1/2 with one bucket list marathon sprinkled in during 2010 :cold:. Need to get through the Star Wars 1/2 marathon first, then a bone spur removal in late April. Looking forward to the conversation and updates from everyone as we go through 2019!

I admit to being excited for, and a little envious of, all of you who have already booked some lodging for Marathon Weekend 2020!

I am so looking forward to prices to start coming out (runDisney TA and convention rates should be next, right?).

Where I will stay really depends on how much two rooms with two Queen beds will come to. *dreaming*

Last edited:
Good morning, runDisney all-stars! It's time for a little Sundays are for Disney.

For those of you who are new to Sundays are for Disney (commonly shortened to SAFD), each Sunday I'll post a question usually related to Disney, runDisney or sometimes running in general. Although the questions are posed on Sundays, feel free to weigh in all week ... or not at all.

I'll do my best to keep the questions fresh and a lot of them are inspired by discussions I see on here, but marathon weekend thread veterans are bound to see some (a lot) of repeats. I'll probably do a little more crowdsourcing this year for questions.

Anyway, let's start off with an easy one ... why? As in, why do runDisney? This is easily one of the most common responses I (and a lot of you, I imagine) get when I talk about doing marathon weekend? Why run on vacation? Why get up so early? Why pay that much for a race? Why run four races in a row?

So why do you - or why do you want to - runDisney?

For starters, I like the challenge. My only two events have been the 2017 WDW marathon and 2019 Dopey Challenge. 2017 was my first marathon and 2019 (obviously) was my first and only Dopey. I wanted to challenge myself and see if I could do those kind of races.

The second reason is Disney itself. I love WDW and getting to see the parks through the runDisney events is such a unique and unforgettable experience. There's nothing like running down Main Street, USA with hundreds of people cheering for you. There's nothing like running under Space Ship Earth into the finishing area.

I love the camaraderie that comes with runDisney. The people on these threads are amazing, supportive and fun. It's awesome to get to know everyone over the course of the year and then party with them for a weekend, creating lifelong memories. Even though I won't be participating in marathon weekend 2020, I look forward to interacting with everyone here in the coming months.

Finally, the swag isn't too bad, either. ;)

Have a great week, everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter