Marathon Weekend 2020

Somebody talk me down-

You've come to the wrong place for that kind of talk :rotfl2:

Indeed...I'm still stuck on the "how do I tell DH when I made him swear to remind me (during holiday training time) that I was never doing another marathon again...." I'm hoping that promising to do it on the (relatively) cheap will help!

SAFD - it's a tie between Mary Poppins and Dug from Up! But if we include Star Wars - nobody beats Darth Vader. Simply the BEST movie character of all time!

And what the heck about no value rooms at AKL? I need to read up on that - I haven't been paying attention, but that is my home resort and I was hoping to book there for marathon weekend!

This is far removed from this thread - but I’ve been taking turmeric now for a decent amount of time. Thank you for whoever recommended that! My inflammation on my surgery ankle is much less than it used to be. It will always be bigger than my good ankle but at least its smaller than it was in November.

This is far removed from this thread - but I’ve been taking turmeric now for a decent amount of time. Thank you for whoever recommended that! My inflammation on my surgery ankle is much less than it used to be. It will always be bigger than my good ankle but at least its smaller than it was in November.
That's great, so glad to hear it's helping!

Hi there! I'm cautiously joining this thread because my husband and I are thinking about doing Dopey 2020. It would be our first marathon. The Princess Half this year will be my 3rd and his 2nd half and our first RunDisney run. How much we like the experience this year will be the be the main deciding factor for Dopey 2020.

I've started looking into training plans for the Dopey challenge and I'm wanting to know some opinions on them. So far I've really looked into the Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway plans and both seem feasible. Is it just a matter of personal preference?

Hi there! I'm cautiously joining this thread because my husband and I are thinking about doing Dopey 2020. It would be our first marathon. The Princess Half this year will be my 3rd and his 2nd half and our first RunDisney run. How much we like the experience this year will be the be the main deciding factor for Dopey 2020.

I've started looking into training plans for the Dopey challenge and I'm wanting to know some opinions on them. So far I've really looked into the Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway plans and both seem feasible. Is it just a matter of personal preference?

Training plans are definitely a matter of preference based on run style, time available, accurate assessment of current fitness level, etc. Any good plan--and Higdon, Galloway qualify--will get you to the goal. So you need to decide: are you a runner? a run/walker? what level of fitness/mileage are you at (or will be when it's time to start training)? how much time to you really have to train? etc. Then pick the best one that you can fully commit to. Higdon has lots of options, I don't know about Galloway.

Good luck and welcome to the thread!

Pretty much, yes. They will both get you to the start line well prepared but have different ways of going about it. Galloway tends to have longer long runs in his plan than Higdon does in his is one primary difference. The length and pace of the weekday runs is also different, but not by as much. I tend to recommend Higdon's plans because I don't believe a 26-mile training run is necessary to be trained for a marathon.

Agree with others. It comes down to reading the instructions (one of the most important things missed in a plan is training pace suggestions) and following the plan mostly as written. There are reasons why the writer chose certain mileages or certain paces on certain days. So the more editing you do to the plan, the less it is like the original one written by someone else. So review the plan and the instructions. Crunch the numbers and see what kind of time commitments you're looking at. Then decide which you can commit to the most and follow through with it to the best of your ability. Obviously things will come up during the process and edits will need to be made. But when the plan is starting, you want to look at it and say, yea I can commit to that. Most any marathon training plan will be sufficient to run Dopey, so don't limit yourself to just ones that state they are Dopey specific.

My preference is a custom plan that is written around the person rather than a person fitting themselves around a plan. I personally believe in a max 150 min long run (or 180 min for run/walk). So for some that's 20 miles, and for others 12 miles. I try to focus more on balance in the plan (both through pace and duration amongst the week).

Something else I'll add. Whether or not a training plan will work well for you is not only dependent on how much time you have available. But what actually happens when you execute the plan in full based on your previous training and current fitness. I've been doing a series of posts discussing training load calculations. I tried to take what can be a complex discussion and make it more simple. But the gist of it is I ran the numbers on several different training plans for different fitness profiles to show the effectiveness of the training (assuming more time spent in "optimal" training will yield better results). Now, training load is not the end all be all. To me, it's another tool in the toolbox for making decisions about training. There's always more things to be evaluated in the big picture of attempting to cover a distance or getting better. With that being said, if anyone is interested, I'll link the topics below. Additionally, if you do pick two training plans you'd like compared that I haven't already, then I could probably run the numbers on that scenario as well.

Training Load

-A longer thread from earlier in 2018: The Beginner's Guide to Stravistix or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the TRIMP (started by @kleph)
-An explantation of the terminology and whether "Fitness" = Pace: "Fitness" and "Fatigue"
-More isn't always better
-Finally figured out how to apply the mathematical formula of Stress Score, "Fitness" and "Fatigue"

Now the parts that will be more interesting.

Training Load Calculations on Different Training Plans for Different Fitness Profiles
-Covers the following scenarios.
--4 hour runner vs 6 hour runner using traditional Galloway Advanced Marathon
--4 hour runner choosing between traditional Galloway Advanced Marathon and a hybrid with 4 days per week but minimized long run
--6 hour runner choosing between traditional Galloway Advanced Marathon and a hybrid with 4 days per week but minimized long run
--4 hour runner vs 5 hour runner using Hansons Advanced
--4 hour runner vs 5 hour runner using Hansons Advanced; Determining appropriate Base training
--4 hour runner vs 5 hour runner using Hansons Advanced; A Secondary method to make Hansons Advanced appropriate for 5 hr runner

Training Load Calculations on Different Training Plans for Different Fitness Profiles: Part 2
--Covers the following scenarios.
--4 hour runner choosing between Hansons Advanced and Higdon Advanced 2
--4 hour runner missing the last long run in Hansons Advanced: What truly happens to training load when you miss the last big training day???
--4 hour runner missing the entire peak week in Hansons Advanced: What truly happens to training load when you miss the entire peak week???
--4 hour runner who chooses to increase the long run in Hansons Advanced because 16 is just too short

4 hour marathon runner choosing between Hansons Advanced and Hansons Beginner

Training Load Calculations (What happens when the next cycle starts?): Part 3
--Runner decides to follow up 18 week Hansons Advanced with another 18 week Hansons Advanced starting right after the Marathon ends
--Runner decides to follow up 18 week Hansons Advanced with another 18 week Hansons Advanced starting 2 weeks after the Marathon ends and takes some time off
--Runner decides to follow up 18 week Hansons Advanced with 12 week Hansons Advanced starting 2 weeks after the Marathon ends and takes some time off
--Runner decides to follow up 18 week Hansons Advanced with 10 week Hansons Advanced starting 2 weeks after the Marathon ends and takes some time off
--Runner decides to follow up 18 week Hansons Advanced with 12 week Hansons Advanced starting right after the Marathon ends

2019 Training: A Macro View

I would like some validation from fellow runners on my training plan considering my recent, although very typical, afflictions...

Timeline:
  • Nov 8th: Achiles tendon hurts bad
  • Nov 11th: Half-Marathon at easy pace then no run
  • December: Podiatrist confirms Achiles not damaged, resume running, recovery runs and strength training, no speed work, 55 miles total
  • January: A bit faster running, focus on stretching/massage therapist, snowy/icy conditions prevent speed work and consistent schedule, 52 miles total
  • Jan 27th: Last long run 10 miles
  • Jan 31st: Last run
  • Feb 5th: Bronchitis confirmed, on antibiotics
  • Feb 17th: Half Marathon (!)
Knowing that training has been less than optimal in the last three months, I obviously have no PR objective on that Half. My question is what kind of training do I do until then?

I think that it is too late and too ugly outside to try to squeeze a catch-up long run, risks of injuries are not worth it. And I am still too sick to resume running. Do I just ignore the situation and do what I would do for a normal to very trimmed taper... almost just to remind my legs what running is?

That would be:
  • Feb 8th: 5k if health allows
  • Feb 10th: 1 hour long run
  • Feb 12th and 14th: 5k runs
Reading the following did comfort me...
--4 hour runner missing the entire peak week in Hansons Advanced: What truly happens to training load when you miss the entire peak week???

ETA: Sorry, I should have posted this on the running thread... I just don’t know how to move it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter