Marathon Weekend 2018

I am doing Dopey and my wife is doing the 5K and half marathon. What is the best time to hit the expo on Wednesday to pick up our bibs, etc.? In an ideal world, we would love to do it rather quickly without a lot of waiting in lines.

Looking at and purchasing merchandise is not a focus of ours.
I agree with @rteetz - the big rush will be right after the expo opens. If you go at more like 2-4PM or even after dinner, it'll be way less crowded.

How busy is the expo on Thursday? Our flight is getting in at 9 am on Thursday, so I figured we could hit the expo after taking the ME to our hotel and get there right at opening at 10 so we can have the rest of the day at the parks.

I remember going last time on Friday morning and it was fairly busy, but this was before Dopey and the extra expo days.

Since we are talking about the expo, I am curious how it compares to others? I have done PHM 3 times which can be "Call security to break up a fight" level of crazy, and Avengers at DL which was super low key and relaxed by comparison. Is the marathon as bad as PHM? I would like to get a few items, and plan to go either Wednesday or Thursday - my first race is the 10k Friday. Does a lot sell out Wednesday? Not sure whether to go Wednesday to increase my chances or to wait until Thursday and let the Dopey folks clear out and hope its calmer then. I'd like some NB shoes, as well as a wine glass and Tervis if they have them. I have never tried for shoes before, but I'm 0 for 3 on the PHM tumbler and wineglass.

Since we are talking about the expo, I am curious how it compares to others? I have done PHM 3 times which can be "Call security to break up a fight" level of crazy, and Avengers at DL which was super low key and relaxed by comparison. Is the marathon as bad as PHM? I would like to get a few items, and plan to go either Wednesday or Thursday - my first race is the 10k Friday. Does a lot sell out Wednesday? Not sure whether to go Wednesday to increase my chances or to wait until Thursday and let the Dopey folks clear out and hope its calmer then. I'd like some NB shoes, as well as a wine glass and Tervis if they have them. I have never tried for shoes before, but I'm 0 for 3 on the PHM tumbler and wineglass.

I've been to the last 6 marathons weekends. Does stuff sell out on Weds? Yes some stuff does sell out, but for the most part even when I've gotten to the expo on Thursday and Friday there is still usually a lot of stuff left. I seem to remember seeing the glasses and tervis's at most of the expo's I've been too. I know that at least the tervis's haven't seemed to sell out as fast now that they are generic marathon weekend glasses rather than mugs for a specific race.

I've been to the last 6 marathons weekends. Does stuff sell out on Weds? Yes some stuff does sell out, but for the most part even when I've gotten to the expo on Thursday and Friday there is still usually a lot of stuff left. I seem to remember seeing the glasses and tervis's at most of the expo's I've been too. I know that at least the tervis's haven't seemed to sell out as fast now that they are generic marathon weekend glasses rather than mugs for a specific race.
Thanks, I am trying to decided whether to add a night (if I even can). My mom is moving into a new home in Florida the week before the race. So now I'll be going to FL to help, and staying with her until I head up to WDW, so I could conceivably head up to Disney earlier and head to the expo Wednesday, as opposed to the previous plan which had me flying in on Wednesday afternoon, heading to the expo Thursday. This information makes me feel safe waiting to go until Thursday, if I can't get a room.

I was thinking about leaving Epcot around 1-1:30 ish, also. I have a Le Cellier reservation at 4:45. Is that enough time to get from Epcot to BC/YC, take the bus to the expo, get our bibs, and get back to BC/YC and walk back to dinner?

I was thinking about leaving Epcot around 1-1:30 ish, also. I have a Le Cellier reservation at 4:45. Is that enough time to get from Epcot to BC/YC, take the bus to the expo, get our bibs, and get back to BC/YC and walk back to dinner?
A couple of tweaks to optimize time. When leaving Epcot, head over to the BW for the Expo bus. It's the last stop [pick-up] for the Epcot Resorts before heading to the Expo. When returning, get off at the Swan and head back over to Epcot walking via the Boardwalk. Another thing to factor in and I think you have the buffer here, is that last year there was a great deal of traffic grid-lock getting in and out of the Expo on the first day. Hopefully, there were some lessons learned to alleviate that for the 2018 Marathon Expo.

A couple of tweaks to optimize time. When leaving Epcot, head over to the BW for the Expo bus. It's the last stop [pick-up] for the Epcot Resorts before heading to the Expo. When returning, get off at the Swan and head back over to Epcot walking via the Boardwalk. Another thing to factor in and I think you have the buffer here, is that last year there was a great deal of traffic grid-lock getting in and out of the Expo on the first day. Hopefully, there were some lessons learned to alleviate that for the 2018 Marathon Expo.

So it seems that the bus route there is Swolphin, BC/YC, Boardwalk, out to Expo?

I think I'm most concerned about jackets selling out. I was planning to go in the afternoon because I can live without a Tervis or wine glass though I would possibly buy them if they had them. I just want a jacket for the 25th anniversary of the marathon or better yet for the Dopey (if they have those) so I'm hoping they won't sell out. I considered buying the pre-sale jacket in advance but I hate doing that when I haven't seen it because I'm not always a fan of the pre-sale designs.

I think I'm most concerned about jackets selling out. I was planning to go in the afternoon because I can live without a Tervis or wine glass though I would possibly buy them if they had them. I just want a jacket for the 25th anniversary of the marathon or better yet for the Dopey (if they have those) so I'm hoping they won't sell out. I considered buying the pre-sale jacket in advance but I hate doing that when I haven't seen it because I'm not always a fan of the pre-sale designs.

Not to be a downer but my guess is that if somethings going to sell out it will be a 25th anniversary item. Last year it was the 20th anniversary of the half and the main thing that sold out was the special pin for that race.

Has anyone experienced a big curveball on their way to 2018 marathon weekend?

I don't want to come across as an episode of Jerry Springer here, but I separated from my partner a few weeks ago. It is a sad time and one with a lot of change, I have found a new place to live, and am slowly going through motions of a breakup from a long-term relationship.

Additionally, we booked our trip and have everything paid for. We are still going to be friends, and he will be running Dopey, and I am doing marathon. His family, who I still get along with, will be there too (in separate rooms).

So it's definitely a different road to marathon weekend than I was anticipating. I've pretty much stopped running all month, and need to catch up. And I'll need to get used to running in a new neighbourhood.

But it's great to have this to focus my energy on, fully step into to sort out some thoughts, and I know it'll be great to be at WDW marathon weekend, even if it's not what I'd originally envisioned. And I am lucky, this does not affect my ability to run, or challenge my health.

Take care all, and may any challenges you are going through help make you stronger.

Not to be a downer but my guess is that if somethings going to sell out it will be a 25th anniversary item. Last year it was the 20th anniversary of the half and the main thing that sold out was the special pin for that race.
I think 5th anniversary Dopey stuff will be a hot ticket item too.

Not everything will sell out but certain items will.

Now that my girl knows this is the 5th Anniversary for Dopey, and 25th for the Marathon, she's a bit more gung ho about the races. She gets all the shirts, but she might want a jacket or something.

Has anyone experienced a big curveball on their way to 2018 marathon weekend?

I don't want to come across as an episode of Jerry Springer here, but I separated from my partner a few weeks ago. It is a sad time and one with a lot of change, I have found a new place to live, and am slowly going through motions of a breakup from a long-term relationship.

Additionally, we booked our trip and have everything paid for. We are still going to be friends, and he will be running Dopey, and I am doing marathon. His family, who I still get along with, will be there too (in separate rooms).

So it's definitely a different road to marathon weekend than I was anticipating. I've pretty much stopped running all month, and need to catch up. And I'll need to get used to running in a new neighbourhood.

But it's great to have this to focus my energy on, fully step into to sort out some thoughts, and I know it'll be great to be at WDW marathon weekend, even if it's not what I'd originally envisioned. And I am lucky, this does not affect my ability to run, or challenge my health.

Take care all, and may any challenges you are going through help make you stronger.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can let running be that calm spot in your life.
and just remember to focus on the important things while training...churros and dole whips and margarittas in mexico! :dogdance:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter