Marathon Weekend 2018

Today's question: the holidays are quickly coming up and Disney is already celebrating Halloween. If you could spend one holiday at Disney what would it be?

My answer: I would love to wake up Christmas morning in a Disney resort and get to spend that day in the Magic Kingdom or at the resort. That would be an almost perfect day to me.

I'd have to go with Christmas Day too. Of all the insanely over crowded holidays, it's likely to be the one with the smallest large crowd.

The holiday I'd most like to spend at WDW is Memorial Day mainly because up here in New England it still can be chilly and dreary around that time of year. Also crowds not as bad as the major holidays and temperature not as hot (but still hot) as July 4th or Labor Day.

I have actually arrived on site on Memorial Day in 1995...My hubby and I went there to celebrate my college graduation which was the day before. We stayed at Dixie Landings (POR now, if you don't know-but I'm sure you do LOL). We had a blast during that trip!

As far as the week between Christmas and NY we honeymooned at WL in 1997 arrived on 12/28 and came home 1/4. Crowds were insane and they closed MK to outside visitors several days that week. I wouldn't want to go that week again!

In other news...DH starts the official marathon training part of his marathon training plan this week! I PR'd a 10K (not an official race, just a Strava stat) and a 5K last week. The 5K by about 2 minutes and the 10K around 3. The weather is cooling down now and the 10K's weather was fantastic and the 5K's was at the track at the high school which translates to this: NO HILLS!!!

Going at Christmastime is on my bucket list, but I would not want to go on Christmas Day.

It was pretty awesome just seeing the castle lit up with holiday lights over marathon weekend.

Unrelated: I've been been by the injury bug. I have pain on the top of my foot/ankle on and off all month. Got through 16 miles last Sunday and four on Tuesday, but cut Thursday's run short at a mile. Got new shoes on Friday and attempted another 16 this morning. Made it about 1.5 miles before the pain flared up. Walk/ran another 5.

I'm going to take it easy until next Saturday and see how it goes then. Really hoping I don't have a stress fracture.

Here's hoping you do't have a stress fracture. Been there, done that. Right now it's hip strain for me. So annoying.

Sundays are for Disney:

Currently lining up a trip for Mickey's Not So Scary, so it's not exactly Halloween but it's close enough. Not set in stone that I'll be able to go, but that seems like such an awesome event. I don't think I would deal well with the crowds on the actual day of a Holiday so doing a party seems like a good compromise.

I've done Christmas at Disney on both coasts when I was younger so NYE for me. What's frustrating is that we've attempted to line up NYE trip twice now only to cancel both times. Someday I'll get there.

If you thought Christmas was nuts, New Year's is a bit worse, especially at Orange County East. MK has been known to hit a phase closure during Christmas. If MK doesn't hit a phase closure on New Years, something is wrong.

I love our traditions we have for our holidays that honestly it would be hard to give those up even for Disney. I think the holiday I would must like to spend at Disney though would be Thanksgiving. I'm less attached to those traditions (though I love them). And I think it would be such an amazing way to kick off the Christmas season.

If you thought Christmas was nuts, New Year's is a bit worse, especially at Orange County East. MK has been known to hit a phase closure during Christmas. If MK doesn't hit a phase closure on New Years, something is wrong.

I did Christmas in the years before it went completely nuts on either coast. I remember walking on to Haunted Mansion with a cousin I was close to at the time at Disneyland either right before Christmas or Christmas itself when's I couldn't have been older then 10 or 11. And I know NYE is nuts it's just a bucket list thing I've always wanted to do. We had everything planned out and ready to go up until Mom got diagnosed with cancer last November.

Funny enough the thing I remember the most about our Christmas trip in Florida outside of River Country. Was the fire in the off property hotel Christmas morning. Nothing lost but it's funny how certain things stick more then others.

On a different note there's going to be words tomorrow. My Dads in charge of travel plans and as back up he booked a flight that gets into Orlando at midnight. Which means I'll be at he hotel by 2 at the earliest. Mind you the flights on the 2nd. Yeah no if we can I'm getting him to move that. I don't even care if I end up on the absurd early flight I just don't want to be getting to the hotel so late that it will probably throw my sleep schedule off even more so with Dopey.

Last edited:
We had everything planned out and ready to go up until Mom got diagnosed with cancer last November.

Oh no, I hope everything is well with your mom, now.

My Dads in charge of travel plans and as back up he booked a flight that gets into Orlando at midnight. Which means I'll be at he hotel by 2 at the earliest.

Oh goodness, no! When my girl and I were booking flights, we were like "how early can we get to Orlando, and how late can we leave?" We were stalking Southwest's website like a hawk. Even so, we're not totally happy with our return leg, as they took away the last non-stop flight out of MCO.

Coming in at 2 am, that's such a waste of a day. Either come in earlier, or try to get in after 6 am, so at least the resort rooms reset for the next day. I'm unsure if you're staying on-property, but most hotels still reset in the morning, sometime.

Today's question: the holidays are quickly coming up and Disney is already celebrating Halloween. If you could spend one holiday at Disney what would it be?

NYE is my favorite ... we've been doing NYE at Epcot every year for the last six or seven year, so [humblebrag] I'm kind of an expert at it. [/humblebrag]

@mbwhitti and I did Christmas night at Epcot this past Christmas and it was a real treat. We did Christmas lunch at my house with my family and then decided to ditch our husbands and head to the park! We got great same-day FP+s (Frozen!), got to see Jodi Benson in Candlelight Processional (she was AMAZING!), toured all of the countries to take a bunch of silly pictures and then watched Illuminations from a GREAT booth inside Spice Road Table over our favorite snacks.

Meanwhile, our husbands went to World of Beer and tried a bunch of unique beers and watched some college football. Pretty much the best Christmas ever for all parties!

The only holiday I WON'T ever plan to do at Disney again (other than back when I worked at MK in the 90's) is Thanksgiving, but not for reasons that involve Disney. We do Friendsgiving here in Texas with our best family friends and it's important to me to keep that tradition of my favorite 10K in the morning followed by our neighborhood flag football game, me hosting a big Thanksgiving lunch at my house and then watching football or taking the Littles to an afternoon movie for as long as our friends' kiddos are at home. My favorite thing in the world (EVEN MORE THAN DISNEY) is my house - warm and loud, full of my friends eating, drinking, playing board games and just being together.

Oh no, I hope everything is well with your mom, now.

Oh goodness, no! When my girl and I were booking flights, we were like "how early can we get to Orlando, and how late can we leave?" We were stalking Southwest's website like a hawk. Even so, we're not totally happy with our return leg, as they took away the last non-stop flight out of MCO.

Coming in at 2 am, that's such a waste of a day. Either come in earlier, or try to get in after 6 am, so at least the resort rooms reset for the next day. I'm unsure if you're staying on-property, but most hotels still reset in the morning, sometime.

Moms doing well, thanks for asking. She's done with the treatment and is now in the recovery phase from having a BMT. So I'm pretty much solo at Disney until further notice because immuno compromised doesn't go well with Disney when you have so many parents with the 'Who cares if they're sick we paid a bunch of money.' Attitude.

Well the good thing is the absurdly late flight is only an option if Dads no longer in the D.C. area. Otherwise I would be getting in around 8:00. Which I would rather have at least half a parks day and get my groceries but apparently Southwest has really cut down on their non stops from D.C. area to Florida for some reason...there's now only one from Dulles. I might ask him about moving both flights. There's a flight from Regan that leaves early in the morning and a mid afternoon one. I honestly would like to not make it 5 absurdly morning out of 6. But I think I would rather be on property earlier too.

Well the good thing is the absurdly late flight is only an option if Dads no longer in the D.C. area. Otherwise I would be getting in around 8:00. Which I would rather have at least half a parks day and get my groceries but apparently Southwest has really cut down on their non stops from D.C. area to Florida for some reason

The oddity I talked about on the way home was from MCO to PHL. On the 7th, there's 5 non-stop flights, including one at like 9 pm. On the 8th, there's only 2. So we took the 8pm flight out, with a layover in Atlanta, and gets us back in around midnight. Leave earlier, get home later.

The holidays are quickly coming up and Disney is already celebrating Halloween. If you could spend one holiday at Disney what would it be?
So, I'm not huge on crowds which makes the idea of holidays in Disney not that appealing. I have done NYE on the cruise which was fantastic. I would pretty much do any holiday except maybe Christmas (big gathering for our family) on the cruise. If I was spending it at a park I would probably have to say NYE in WDW.

The oddity I talked about on the way home was from MCO to PHL. On the 7th, there's 5 non-stop flights, including one at like 9 pm. On the 8th, there's only 2. So we took the 8pm flight out, with a layover in Atlanta, and gets us back in around midnight. Leave earlier, get home later.
Ouch. I definitely struggled with the exact same issue on the 8th. I'm doing the last direct with Southwest because I'd rather miss a few hours in Disney than get home late and have to get to work the next day.

I think I'd enjoy doing Halloween at Disney. We did the Christmas party when we were there for Wine and Dine a couple of years ago and I loved it, so I'd like to experience the Halloween party. Plus, Halloween and fall are my favorite times of year anyway.

Sundays of course are for Disney.

I have booked to be in WDW over New Years this year and then staying on for the WDW 2018 half the following weekend! New Years Eve is a bucket list thing for me so I am super excited! I know it is going to be crazy busy and all that, but I just wanted to experience it at least once and the situation with the WDWMW being the following weekend was too good to pass up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter